Databases Discussion: POSTGRES

POSTGRES

Phil Hughes
1989-12-20 14:49:26 EST
I hate to seem uninformed but what is POSTGRES?
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155 (206)FOR-UNIX
uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl (206)527-3385

Steve Goldfield
1989-12-21 12:06:45 EST
In article <331@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
#>I hate to seem uninformed but what is POSTGRES?
#>--
#>Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155 (206)FOR-UNIX

I don't work on POSTGRES and hopefully someone who does will
respond to these questions, but until then, I'll post a bit of
the way they describe it in the research summary published by
the EECS department here at Berkeley. PLEASE DON'T SEND ME
EMAIL ASKING ME QUESTIONS ABOUT POSTGRES. I post this information
to give you some idea of what POSTGRES is about; you'll have to
get further details from those who designed and built it.

"In 1985, the INGRES
project embarked on the design and implementation of a new
database management system called POSTGRES (for "after INGRES")
and a new application development environment called PICASSO to
provide support for these applications." The principal objectives
of POSTGRES (the PI is Prof. M. R. Stonebraker), which is
described as a "next-generation database management system," are:

"(1) Simplify crash recovery code and provide access to
out-of-date data by keeping old data in the database rather than
in a separate long-term audit trail;

(2) Construct an implementation for the multiple, closely coupled
processors that will be prevalent on next-generation
workstations;

(3) Provide efficient support for versions;

(4) Provide support for extensible data types and extendable
indices;

(5) Support procedures as 'first-class' objects;

(6) Support triggers and inference."

More detailed project descriptions discuss a query optimizer,
which takes advantage of rapid increases in available main memory
and of parallel, shared-memory, multiprocessor computers; rule
management

Steve Goldfield
Industrial Liaison Program
College of Engineering, UC Berkeley