Policy Discussion: XP Password

XP Password

Walkerj
2004-07-20 11:29:30 EST
IS there a way to get around an XP password for a user that has left
the organization?

Sandy7000
2004-07-21 00:59:20 EST
w*j@duq.edu (walkerj) wrote in message news:<8c03b17c.0407200729.426b723f@posting.google.com>...
> IS there a way to get around an XP password for a user that has left
> the organization?

What is your setup? Do you have users save on the C: (or local) drive
or on a drive on the server?

Here are two methods that are free & a pain in the rear.

1) If information is saved locally, take the drive & remount it to
another pc as a slave drive. All info can be accessed via the master.

2) If on a domain, mount the drive this person saved his/her info to
on the server to an empty NTFS folder. You will supposedly be able to
see EVERYthing on the drive. (I've only been told it works..I have no
empirical info on that.)

Hope it helps.

Sandy7000
2004-07-21 02:29:29 EST
w*j@duq.edu (walkerj) wrote in message news:<8c03b17c.0407200729.426b723f@posting.google.com>...
> IS there a way to get around an XP password for a user that has left
> the organization?

There are 2 methods. Depends on where the data was saved.
1) If user saved locally, physically take the drive & make it a slave
to another drive. You can access all info that way.

2) If info was saved to a server, mount the drive to an empty NTFS
folder. (I have only heard of this. I have no empirical data yet.)
It's a major security risk that isn't well known yet. Mounting a
drive to a folder allows you to gain access to all info on the drive
(from what I've been told.) I'm still in the process of
experimenting/learning with mounted drives.

Matt
2004-07-21 03:08:50 EST
w*j@duq.edu (walkerj) wrote in message news:<8c03b17c.0407200729.426b723f@posting.google.com>...
> IS there a way to get around an XP password for a user that has left
> the organization?
Download the small .iso and burn it to a cd then put it in the
computer with the lost password and follow the prompts
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/cd040116.zip
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Matt
2004-07-21 03:12:08 EST
w*j@duq.edu (walkerj) wrote in message news:<8c03b17c.0407200729.426b723f@posting.google.com>...
> IS there a way to get around an XP password for a user that has left
> the organization?
Download the small .iso and burn it to a cd then put it in the
computer with the lost password and follow the prompts
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/cd040116.zip
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

XPAminXP
2004-07-21 08:59:45 EST
Your Admin can change the password in Active Directory.

w*j@duq.edu (walkerj) wrote in message news:<8c03b17c.0407200729.426b723f@posting.google.com>...
> IS there a way to get around an XP password for a user that has left
> the organization?

Sean
2004-07-21 12:06:15 EST
w*j@duq.edu (walkerj) wrote in message news:<8c03b17c.0407200729.426b723f@posting.google.com>...
> IS there a way to get around an XP password for a user that has left
> the organization

log on as an administrator and go to c:\windows\profiles to access
their files.

if you want to log on as that person, try changing their password,
after logging on as an administrator.

If neither of those work, their is always hacking into the account.
let me know if you need to do this by emailing me at
s*r@yahoo.com and i will telll you how. I would post it here
but script kiddies and newbies would end up using it illigally.