Policy Discussion: Is This Network Possible

Is This Network Possible

Sean
2004-07-09 11:45:20 EST
I have 2 comps 3 modems 1 10 meg ethernet cards 2 houses each with one
phone line, twisted pair cabling that came with ethernet card can i
network the 2 computers one has xp pro the other xp home?

XPAminXP
2004-07-14 15:41:00 EST
s*z@cyberspace.org (Sean) wrote in message news:<a1451248.0407090745.4f428120@posting.google.com>...
> I have 2 comps 3 modems 1 10 meg ethernet cards 2 houses each with one
> phone line, twisted pair cabling that came with ethernet card can i
> network the 2 computers one has xp pro the other xp home?

Not with the hardware you have, and the distance between. You could
create a workgroup or do a direct cable connect to the next room...but
not from one house to another. You're gonna need 2 ethernet cards a
router...and if its much distance...a switch and some fiber optic
cable.
SO I guess my answer is no on this on.

Mcse
2004-07-15 01:38:45 EST
j*e@cox.net (XPAminXP) wrote in message news:<9fc4841c.0407141141.1dfd693@posting.google.com>...
> seanz@cyberspace.org (Sean) wrote in message news:<a1451248.0407090745.4f428120@posting.google.com>...
> > I have 2 comps 3 modems 1 10 meg ethernet cards 2 houses each with one
> > phone line, twisted pair cabling that came with ethernet card can i
> > network the 2 computers one has xp pro the other xp home?
>

> Not with the hardware you have, and the distance between. You could
> create a workgroup or do a direct cable connect to the next room...but
> not from one house to another. You're gonna need 2 ethernet cards a
> router...and if its much distance...a switch and some fiber optic
> cable.
> SO I guess my answer is no on this on.

You have 2 modems. On your XP Pro box, go to Network Connections (new)
and allow that computer to Accept Incoming Connections. Then go to
your XP Home box and use your modem and dial up the XP Pro box via
your telephone line...

XPAminXP
2004-07-15 08:08:16 EST
I stand corrected, and also after reader garry's response, I actually
understand the question.

g*n@hotmail.com (mcse) wrote in message news:<cfa5aec5.0407142138.106659c0@posting.google.com>...
> jeffstowe@cox.net (XPAminXP) wrote in message news:<9fc4841c.0407141141.1dfd693@posting.google.com>...
> > seanz@cyberspace.org (Sean) wrote in message news:<a1451248.0407090745.4f428120@posting.google.com>...
> > > I have 2 comps 3 modems 1 10 meg ethernet cards 2 houses each with one
> > > phone line, twisted pair cabling that came with ethernet card can i
> > > network the 2 computers one has xp pro the other xp home?
> >

> > Not with the hardware you have, and the distance between. You could
> > create a workgroup or do a direct cable connect to the next room...but
> > not from one house to another. You're gonna need 2 ethernet cards a
> > router...and if its much distance...a switch and some fiber optic
> > cable.
> > SO I guess my answer is no on this on.
>

> You have 2 modems. On your XP Pro box, go to Network Connections (new)
> and allow that computer to Accept Incoming Connections. Then go to
> your XP Home box and use your modem and dial up the XP Pro box via
> your telephone line...

Sean
2004-07-15 10:29:46 EST
g*n@hotmail.com (mcse) wrote in message news:<cfa5aec5.0407142138.106659c0@posting.google.com>...
> jeffstowe@cox.net (XPAminXP) wrote in message news:<9fc4841c.0407141141.1dfd693@posting.google.com>...
> > seanz@cyberspace.org (Sean) wrote in message news:<a1451248.0407090745.4f428120@posting.google.com>...
> > > I have 2 comps 3 modems 1 10 meg ethernet cards 2 houses each with one
> > > phone line, twisted pair cabling that came with ethernet card can i
> > > network the 2 computers one has xp pro the other xp home?
> >

> > Not with the hardware you have, and the distance between. You could
> > create a workgroup or do a direct cable connect to the next room...but
> > not from one house to another. You're gonna need 2 ethernet cards a
> > router...and if its much distance...a switch and some fiber optic
> > cable.
> > SO I guess my answer is no on this on.
>

> You have 2 modems. On your XP Pro box, go to Network Connections (new)
> and allow that computer to Accept Incoming Connections. Then go to
> your XP Home box and use your modem and dial up the XP Pro box via
> your telephone line...

I tried that, and the phone rang instead of the computer answering it.
How do i get the phone to ignore the call and have the computer
answer it?

Kevin C
2004-07-16 15:46:34 EST
I need some background information -

1. How many Phone Lines are you using are you dialing up from 555-5551
to 555-
5552 or are you running the phone line directly to the computer?

2. what is the perpus of doing this? are you trying to setup file
sharing, internet connection sharing etc.

Sean
2004-07-17 15:03:26 EST
I am dialing from the xp home pc to the xp pro pc
xp home is dialing 773-2995 which makes my house phone ring
xp pro is set to accept incoming connections
i think that would mean 555-5551 is dialing 555-5552
both have modems in with phone lines in them. purpose is so that my
friend and i can play a game together without being online or at each
others house

k*n@rcn.com (Kevin C) wrote in message news:<47199313.0407161146.7e19c74f@posting.google.com>...
> I need some background information -
>
> 1. How many Phone Lines are you using are you dialing up from 555-5551
> to 555-
> 5552 or are you running the phone line directly to the computer?
>
> 2. what is the perpus of doing this? are you trying to setup file
> sharing, internet connection sharing etc.

Ali
2004-07-23 17:41:45 EST
How far apart are your houses?

www.thetechtips.com

Sean
2004-07-26 14:26:40 EST
m*s@yahoo.com (Ali) wrote in message news:<8441d602.0407231341.70d2020d@posting.google.com>...
> How far apart are your houses?
>
> www.thetechtips.com

about .5 a mile direct. I have enough cable to go that long if i have to.

Ali
2004-07-27 16:58:23 EST
No actually it is not practical to run a CAT 5 cable that far. You
can look into implementing a wireless solution, however then cost and
security is a concern. Why not sign up for an internet service? If
you can get DSL most of the companies like Verizon also gives you MSN
dial up account with their DSL service then you can have DSL on one
end and create a VPN using DIAL UP.