Policy Discussion: Running A Certain Application

Running A Certain Application

Humbleslaveofgod
2004-04-26 13:35:35 EST
how to hide the windows interface and just show the interface of a
certain application after booting up the machine,so as the user of
this machine can only access the program running and nothing else
appears infront of him not even any thing related to windows.

Michael Vilain
2004-04-26 15:12:21 EST
In article <fd39eaa6.0404260935.2787e7ff@posting.google.com>,
tamer_742002@hotmail.com (humbleslaveofgod) wrote:

> how to hide the windows interface and just show the interface of a
> certain application after booting up the machine,so as the user of
> this machine can only access the program running and nothing else
> appears infront of him not even any thing related to windows.

More details on your program. If it uses Xwindows, you'll have to
require the user to login to start the environment that only allows
access to the program and it's GUI.

Sounds like you need to hire someone who knows what they're doing on
Solaris.

Joe Durusau
2004-04-27 07:59:51 EST

"Michael Vilain " wrote:

> In article <fd39eaa6.0404260935.2787e7ff@posting.google.com>,
> tamer_742002@hotmail.com (humbleslaveofgod) wrote:
>
> > how to hide the windows interface and just show the interface of a
> > certain application after booting up the machine,so as the user of
> > this machine can only access the program running and nothing else
> > appears infront of him not even any thing related to windows.
>
> More details on your program. If it uses Xwindows, you'll have to
> require the user to login to start the environment that only allows
> access to the program and it's GUI.
>
> Sounds like you need to hire someone who knows what they're doing on
> Solaris.
>
> --
> DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...

In addition, the O. P. should face the fact that any knowledgable user
who has unencumbered physical access to the machine (that is, someone
will not run screaming in to the room should the box suddenly drop off
the
network), is, in effect, the root user of the machine, and can do
anything
he/she pleases.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Humbleslaveofgod
2004-04-27 12:27:25 EST
AS i mentioned before all i need is that the user on the pc gets the
graphical interface of the program i want as soon as he starts the
machine and connects to the server without seeing or interacting with
the gui of the windows xp or getting access to the command line ,in
short isolate the user from the windows environement ,so can anyone
help with that problem?

Joe Durusau
2004-04-28 07:56:44 EST

humbleslaveofgod wrote:

> AS i mentioned before all i need is that the user on the pc gets the
> graphical interface of the program i want as soon as he starts the
> machine and connects to the server without seeing or interacting with
> the gui of the windows xp or getting access to the command line ,in
> short isolate the user from the windows environement ,so can anyone
> help with that problem?

It would help if you posted this question to a windows ng. No one here
is
likely to know much about windows. In general, the answer is not only
no but "hell, no" if you are talking about an informed and/or determined
user.
Please clarify the parameters of the situation, in a windows newsgroup.

nb: posting this question to comp.unix.solaris is especially
inappropriate.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Humbleslaveofgod
2004-04-28 14:33:53 EST
joe durusau <joe.durusau@lmco.com> wrote in message news:<408F9BFC.731E2B08@lmco.com>...
> humbleslaveofgod wrote:
>
> > AS i mentioned before all i need is that the user on the pc gets the
> > graphical interface of the program i want as soon as he starts the
> > machine and connects to the server without seeing or interacting with
> > the gui of the windows xp or getting access to the command line ,in
> > short isolate the user from the windows environement ,so can anyone
> > help with that problem?
>
> It would help if you posted this question to a windows ng. No one here
> is
> likely to know much about windows. In general, the answer is not only
> no but "hell, no" if you are talking about an informed and/or determined
> user.
> Please clarify the parameters of the situation, in a windows newsgroup.
>
> nb: posting this question to comp.unix.solaris is especially
> inappropriate.
>
> Speaking only for myself,
>
> Joe Durusau

the server i am refering to is a sunfire runing solaris 8 on it thats
why i posted the question here,and in fact i am dealing with both ,so
i am pulling my data from the server n using it on a program using
graphics on the pc ,thats why i wanted to isolate the windows
interface away from users.
nb:i hope posting the question here doesnot offend anyone,thanks
Humble

Humbleslaveofgod
2004-04-28 14:47:30 EST
In fact the reason i posted my question here is that the server i am
using is a sunfire working solaris 8 and the pcs pulling data from it
through oracle uses xp as the program running on them is of a
graphical type ,so thats why i am trying to isolate the users from the
windows interface ,i am trying to get some ideas its not about winxp
only.
nb:i hope no one was offended by posting my question in here,my
knowelege with windows is not much.
thanks
Humble