Policy Discussion: I Need Help Killing This Virus

I Need Help Killing This Virus

I Got A Virus And It Sucks
2004-04-22 01:44:29 EST
I got a virus off of AIM and it really stinks. It's dominating my
profile, it gets worse, people on my buddy list dont know whats
cookin' and they are getting it without even knowing it. This is
terrible. I have been to a few websites that "say" how to stop it. But
when I try to get the task manager to work it just shuts down
(disappears) and I keep trying to activate it but it won't work. I
also try to use the Run... section on the taskbar for msconfig but it
won't work either. Does anyone know how to kill this god forsaken
virus!

Chris
2004-04-26 15:49:55 EST
b*s@hotmail.com (I got a virus and it sucks) wrote in message news:<f730b27b.0404212144.5394a307@posting.google.com>...
> I got a virus off of AIM and it really stinks. It's dominating my
> profile, it gets worse, people on my buddy list dont know whats
> cookin' and they are getting it without even knowing it. This is
> terrible. I have been to a few websites that "say" how to stop it. But
> when I try to get the task manager to work it just shuts down
> (disappears) and I keep trying to activate it but it won't work. I
> also try to use the Run... section on the taskbar for msconfig but it
> won't work either. Does anyone know how to kill this god forsaken
> virus!

open up your registry editor. Go to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and look for
anything suspicious. If you are sure if the key is needed search for
it on google and see what it is. Delete anything that returns
information about viruses/worms..

Sean
2004-04-28 19:48:30 EST
b*s@hotmail.com (I got a virus and it sucks) wrote in message news:<f730b27b.0404212144.5394a307@posting.google.com>...
> I got a virus off of AIM and it really stinks. It's dominating my
> profile, it gets worse, people on my buddy list dont know whats
> cookin' and they are getting it without even knowing it. This is
> terrible. I have been to a few websites that "say" how to stop it. But
> when I try to get the task manager to work it just shuts down
> (disappears) and I keep trying to activate it but it won't work. I
> also try to use the Run... section on the taskbar for msconfig but it
> won't work either. Does anyone know how to kill this god forsaken
> virus!

try run services.msc or run it under administrator tools from the
control panel if you can not run it from the run menu

Tony Jackson
2004-05-12 02:30:22 EST
Try downloading ad-aware 6.0, then updating it before running it.
You can find it for free at http://www.download.com/

Hope it works for ya!
T* @ afford-tech.com

2004-05-14 17:59:44 EST
I have it too, and I want to get rid of it. Please help!

Tonztime
2004-05-20 13:56:30 EST
1. Boot into safe mode
2. Start...run...msconfig
3. Look for the tab labeled startup
4. Uncheck anything that looks suspicious and then save and reboot.
5. Once you reboot your system should work well enought to install,
update and run adaware and spybot search and destroy.
6. Go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and run their online virus
scan.
7. You can also go to http://sarc.com and look for virus removal
utilities if trendmicro says your machine is infected.
8. Run Windows Update to prevent further infections and then set the
updates to download and install updates at least once a week.
9. Go to grisoft.com and download their FREE antivirus program.
10. Find a newbie book on how to become and remain a safe user on the
web.