Policy Discussion: Windows Licensing?????????????????????

Windows Licensing?????????????????????
Posts: 6

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Dinglbat
2003-07-16 14:00:51 EST
Our Network Admin (Linux Genius Egomaniac he is) has made the
following declarations:

Microsoft has declared that there is a deadline within a year that it
will be illegal to run Windows NT workstation and server. Therefore
we must migrate all enterprise computers to Linux. Windows 2000 is
a "dead issue" facing the same fate as NT. It is fruitless and a
waste of money to buy NT licenses (or 2000 licenses (on Ebay) due to
this situation.

He has also stated that it is against the Microsoft licensing
agreement and is illegal to run Internet Explorer on the Linux OS.

Is he blowing stinky hot air? Or is he correct?

Matt Hayes
2003-07-16 22:23:04 EST
Dinglbat wrote:

> Our Network Admin (Linux Genius Egomaniac he is) has made the
> following declarations:
>
> Microsoft has declared that there is a deadline within a year that it
> will be illegal to run Windows NT workstation and server. Therefore
> we must migrate all enterprise computers to Linux. Windows 2000 is
> a "dead issue" facing the same fate as NT. It is fruitless and a
> waste of money to buy NT licenses (or 2000 licenses (on Ebay) due to
> this situation.
>
> He has also stated that it is against the Microsoft licensing
> agreement and is illegal to run Internet Explorer on the Linux OS.
>
> Is he blowing stinky hot air? Or is he correct?


I think that is the biggest piece of crap that ever fell from someone's
mouth. What it is, he doesn't know anything but unix/linux. I think the
only "truth" in there is that Microsoft is pushing their newer products,
but I don't think they are going to make it illegal to run an NT server.
That's freakin' absurd.

So, duct tape his mouth shut and let him think happy happy thoughts all day
long.

Matt

Dinglbat
2003-07-17 11:55:19 EST
The lastest from our "Network Admin"...

He sez that it is illegal for a machnie to be running DOS.



Matt Hayes <mhayes@NOSPAM.geekinc.net> wrote in message news:<vhc248pnv8rn63@corp.supernews.com>...
> Dinglbat wrote:
>
> > Our Network Admin (Linux Genius Egomaniac he is) has made the
> > following declarations:
> >
> > Microsoft has declared that there is a deadline within a year that it
> > will be illegal to run Windows NT workstation and server. Therefore
> > we must migrate all enterprise computers to Linux. Windows 2000 is
> > a "dead issue" facing the same fate as NT. It is fruitless and a
> > waste of money to buy NT licenses (or 2000 licenses (on Ebay) due to
> > this situation.
> >
> > He has also stated that it is against the Microsoft licensing
> > agreement and is illegal to run Internet Explorer on the Linux OS.
> >
> > Is he blowing stinky hot air? Or is he correct?
>
>
> I think that is the biggest piece of crap that ever fell from someone's
> mouth. What it is, he doesn't know anything but unix/linux. I think the
> only "truth" in there is that Microsoft is pushing their newer products,
> but I don't think they are going to make it illegal to run an NT server.
> That's freakin' absurd.
>
> So, duct tape his mouth shut and let him think happy happy thoughts all day
> long.
>
> Matt

Bob Milutinovic
2003-07-21 05:17:45 EST
G'day, Ding...

> The lastest from our "Network Admin"...
> He sez that it is illegal for a machnie to be running DOS.

DOS = Disc Operating System.

MS-DOS is one, yes. But so is Linux. Any operating system unless
confined fully within firmware is, by definition, a "DOS."

Can you ask him which brand of cereal he derived his qualifications
from? My paper qualifications don't seem to be cutting it much these days if
someone of that calibre can be employed as a network administrator :-\

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom - "the web presence specialists"
http://www.cognicom.tk/
telephone (0417) 45-77-66
facsimile (02) 4727-1898

***** The return mail address is fake *****
To contact me use np0312 at cognicom dot tk



Tarl Smith
2003-07-21 10:52:48 EST
NOW TO ADD MY OWN THOUGHTS
--------------------------

The Man is in theory correct!

Microsoft Internet Explorer is NOT allowed to be run on a linux
system, only a legal registerd version of windows.

Also If you are using any beta microsoft updates they must be removed
in 1 years time or at any other before if microsoft declare it
otherwise they must be updated to the full versions again on a
leagally registered system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

SIDE NOTE (WELL UNDER ACTUALLY)
-------------------------------

DONT GET ME WRONG, the man is talking total twadel (crap in British),
if your a working company there is NO WAY you will be using a beta
update, it just wouldn't be safe enough to be pratical

FIRE THE MAN NOW
----------------

- HE IS TALKING IN THEORY, AND HIS *IDEALS* ARE NOT GOING TO BE
HAPPENING IN YOUR COMPANY OR ANY OTHER!

Tarl

Stewart
2003-07-25 04:56:19 EST
If it is illegal 2 use DOS then in theory it is illegal to be using
windows 98 as that runs on a DOS background.

Well im using windows 98 now so come and sue my ass biatch!
Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron