Policy Discussion: Can't Share My Internet Connection

Can't Share My Internet Connection

David.
2003-12-23 17:06:26 EST
I have a network of 3 home pc's that worked beautifully in every way
until i changed my internet connection from dial up to tiscali
broadband isdn. Now i cannot share my internet connection with the
other 2 computers that don't have the modem installed.

The computers are linked in a star from a hub via ethernet cables , 1
computer has a sagem isdn modem plugged into a usb port, ICs is
enabled and all machines are running windows 2000 pro.

A firewall is installed on the machine with the modem but i still
can't connect the other two pc's even with the firewall ( zonealarm
pro ) uninstalled.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

many thanks in advance

Dave.

Kieldro
2003-12-25 13:28:28 EST
To share a broadband connection, you can not use a hub or a switch.
You must use a router. You can buy one for around $60. Then you can
hook up the switch to the router with the uplink port if you need to
network more computers.

Brian

m*b@hotmail.com (Kieldro) wrote in message news:<a482ad71.0312251028.6dc383a3@posting.google.com>...
> To share a broadband connection, you can not use a hub or a switch.
> You must use a router. You can buy one for around $60. Then you can
> hook up the switch to the router with the uplink port if you need to
> network more computers.

Actually, you can, if I following Dave's network setup correctly. From
what I understand, you have the one computer with the modem, and the
other computers are connected to this computer via LAN. If this is the
case then you want to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the
modem connection, there is a good article on how to do this here:
http://www.jsiinc.com/subm/tip6400/rh6481.htm

Once you get that set up, you will need to configure a static ip on
the two comptuers without the modem, and a static ip on the ethernet
adapter on the computer with the modem. (On the computers without the
modem you want to set the gateway and dns ip's to the ip you set on
the comptuer with the modem, and on that computer you can set the
gateway and dns to 127.0.0.1 ).

Meraj
2004-02-02 23:13:37 EST
t*k@unspokencreations.com (Brian) wrote in message news:<471ea486.0401071537.398a7b89@posting.google.com>...
> dadlp@hotmail.com (David.) wrote in message news:<3ab73ea2.0312231406.d2d918c@posting.google.com>...
> > I have a network of 3 home pc's that worked beautifully in every way
> > until i changed my internet connection from dial up to tiscali
> > broadband isdn. Now i cannot share my internet connection with the
> > other 2 computers that don't have the modem installed.
> >
> > The computers are linked in a star from a hub via ethernet cables , 1
> > computer has a sagem isdn modem plugged into a usb port, ICs is
> > enabled and all machines are running windows 2000 pro.
> >
> > A firewall is installed on the machine with the modem but i still
> > can't connect the other two pc's even with the firewall ( zonealarm
> > pro ) uninstalled.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
> >
> > many thanks in advance

Hello
Brian
i think you should use a software like Share ISDN with Server and
Clients software. it share only ISDN connections .

I think this should work.

> > Dave.
>
> matrixib@hotmail.com (Kieldro) wrote in message news:<a482ad71.0312251028.6dc383a3@posting.google.com>...
> > To share a broadband connection, you can not use a hub or a switch.
> > You must use a router. You can buy one for around $60. Then you can
> > hook up the switch to the router with the uplink port if you need to
> > network more computers.
>
> Actually, you can, if I following Dave's network setup correctly. From
> what I understand, you have the one computer with the modem, and the
> other computers are connected to this computer via LAN. If this is the
> case then you want to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the
> modem connection, there is a good article on how to do this here:
> http://www.jsiinc.com/subm/tip6400/rh6481.htm
>
> Once you get that set up, you will need to configure a static ip on
> the two comptuers without the modem, and a static ip on the ethernet
> adapter on the computer with the modem. (On the computers without the
> modem you want to set the gateway and dns ip's to the ip you set on
> the comptuer with the modem, and on that computer you can set the
> gateway and dns to 127.0.0.1 ).

ABIRESH
2004-02-16 08:57:51 EST
I think you want to share your internet connection through Windows
inbuilt connection wizard.

here you must remember one thing that according to documents for this
type of sharing the IP address of the ethernet card (of the server
machine) which will be used to share the internet should be
192.168.0.1.

also you must use DHCP in such case and in client machine dont give
any IP but allow it to get IPs dynamically from the main server.
remember that you must destroy the old ethernet driver of the client
machine before you make any changed to the ethernet settings of client
machines. There is no need to give any Gateway or DNS. If it still
doesnt work just give the Primary and secondary DNS (which you
obtained from ur ISP)in the ethernet settings of both the client
machines

ABIRESH

meraj_6@hotmail.com (meraj) wrote in message news:<5c4cff51.0402022013.5428708e@posting.google.com>...
> transitdk@unspokencreations.com (Brian) wrote in message news:<471ea486.0401071537.398a7b89@posting.google.com>...
> > dadlp@hotmail.com (David.) wrote in message news:<3ab73ea2.0312231406.d2d918c@posting.google.com>...
> > > I have a network of 3 home pc's that worked beautifully in every way
> > > until i changed my internet connection from dial up to tiscali
> > > broadband isdn. Now i cannot share my internet connection with the
> > > other 2 computers that don't have the modem installed.
> > >
> > > The computers are linked in a star from a hub via ethernet cables , 1
> > > computer has a sagem isdn modem plugged into a usb port, ICs is
> > > enabled and all machines are running windows 2000 pro.
> > >
> > > A firewall is installed on the machine with the modem but i still
> > > can't connect the other two pc's even with the firewall ( zonealarm
> > > pro ) uninstalled.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
> > >
> > > many thanks in advance
>
> Hello
> Brian
> i think you should use a software like Share ISDN with Server and
> Clients software. it share only ISDN connections .
>
> I think this should work.
>

> > > Dave.
> >
> > matrixib@hotmail.com (Kieldro) wrote in message news:<a482ad71.0312251028.6dc383a3@posting.google.com>...
> > > To share a broadband connection, you can not use a hub or a switch.
> > > You must use a router. You can buy one for around $60. Then you can
> > > hook up the switch to the router with the uplink port if you need to
> > > network more computers.
> >
> > Actually, you can, if I following Dave's network setup correctly. From
> > what I understand, you have the one computer with the modem, and the
> > other computers are connected to this computer via LAN. If this is the
> > case then you want to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the
> > modem connection, there is a good article on how to do this here:
> > http://www.jsiinc.com/subm/tip6400/rh6481.htm
> >
> > Once you get that set up, you will need to configure a static ip on
> > the two comptuers without the modem, and a static ip on the ethernet
> > adapter on the computer with the modem. (On the computers without the
> > modem you want to set the gateway and dns ip's to the ip you set on
> > the comptuer with the modem, and on that computer you can set the
> > gateway and dns to 127.0.0.1 ).

Didier
2004-02-17 02:40:43 EST
It's more simple to have win2k or winxp on the pc with ur modem.Then
use the internet connection sharing built in the OS.Make sure that the
IP of the PC(with the modem)is 192.168.0.1

Alexandre Almeida
2004-03-03 15:07:13 EST
1 You must have sure that the ip of the computer with modem must be
192.168.0.1
2 Configure the other pc to the IP 192.168.0.2 DNS 192.168.0.1 and
Gateway 192.168.0.1
Dont forget the Network Mask set to 255.255.255.0

"Didier" <didier.lj@intnet.mu> wrote in message
> It's more simple to have win2k or winxp on the pc with ur modem.Then
> use the internet connection sharing built in the OS.Make sure that the
> IP of the PC(with the modem)is 192.168.0.1

Conan
2005-01-09 09:49:23 EST
There is a way to share your broadband connectiom using your hub or
switch. I have done it for years. Just use a crossover cable from
your modem to your switch. One catch though. All the PC's that use
the internet from your site also have to have an external, secondary
address provided by your ISP.