Policy Discussion: Help Needed : Remote Shutting And Starting Windows 98SE

Help Needed : Remote Shutting And Starting Windows 98SE

Dr. Abheek Ghosh
2004-11-18 20:12:56 EST
Dear Friends

Here is a windows 98 problem for you to help me out with.

I am going out of station for 5 days.

During the period while I am gone, I want my pc to start up at a
specific time every day, connect to the internet , run a particular
program after connecting to the net and start downloading some files.
Then, 8 hours after getting connected to the net ,I want my pc to
disconnect from the net and shut itself off.
Then again next day ,I want the same sequence of events to be repeated.
This I want to continue for 5 days till I am back here.

Is there some way by which this is possible ?

I hav thought of a solution.
But for that I will have to leave my pc on continuously for 5 days. (
will this be a sane idea ?? )

Is there any way I can do this without keeping my PC on continuously for 5 days?

I have thought of using the task scheduler to schedule this task to
run for the stipulated period of time every day.
But there is no way, I could switch off the pc remotely after running
the task and again put it back on the next day (same time).

Another problem with the task scheduler might be thus - the program
used to connect to the net will open, but it won't get connected until
you push a button on the program; and this task of pushing a button to
get connected wont be done by the task scheduler.

So, what am I left with - nothing but a dead end.
Is there any third party software that will help me out?

Can you help me out with this ?

( Will I have to finally use a human element to put my pc on at a
particular time, connect to the net, and then again disconnect and put
the pc off after the execution of the task ?? )
Microsoft must have thought about this problem and made some provision for it.

Many thanks for any help that you can give me.

With best regards

Abheek Ghosh

Willem
)
) During the period while I am gone, I want my pc to start up at a
) specific time every day, connect to the internet , run a particular
) program after connecting to the net and start downloading some files.
) Then, 8 hours after getting connected to the net ,I want my pc to
) disconnect from the net and shut itself off.
) Then again next day ,I want the same sequence of events to be repeated.
) This I want to continue for 5 days till I am back here.
)
) Is there some way by which this is possible ?

Dunno if you can have Win98 shut itself off automatically at a specified
time, but having your computer turn on each day is done in the BIOS.
There should be an option to power on each day at a specified time.

The program for downloading the things should preferrably be a commandline
program, those usually aren't interactive. For example, wget is a small
program that gets urls. Dunno if there's a Win98 version, but if there is,
you can easily stick it in a script to download some stuff.

Connecting to the net depends on what kind of connection you have, but
usually Win98 should do that automatically for you.

SaSW, Willem
drugged or something..
#EOT

Michael Mendelsohn
2004-11-19 05:04:43 EST
"Dr. Abheek Ghosh" schrieb:
> Here is a windows 98 problem for you to help me out with.
> I am going out of station for 5 days.
>
> During the period while I am gone, I want my pc to start up at a
> specific time every day, connect to the internet , run a particular
> program after connecting to the net and start downloading some files.
> Then, 8 hours after getting connected to the net ,I want my pc to
> disconnect from the net and shut itself off.
> Then again next day ,I want the same sequence of events to be repeated.
> This I want to continue for 5 days till I am back here.

The first half is easy - use a timer on the power line. Depending on
your PC model, it should power on your machine, which should then start
and boot.
After booting, you can then either use Autostart to start what you need,
or rely on the task scheduler to help you.
You can shut the system down by software.

For connecting to the net, research command line options for your
program. There are also programs available that work like a universal
macrorecorder, i.e. you can capture input to your program and then
"replay" that input whenever you need.

I realize this is quite vague, but I hope Google can help you on - or
maybe some other newsgroup memebers have more detailed ideas than I do.

Cheers
Michael
--
Still an attentive ear he lent Her speech hath caused this pain
But could not fathom what she meant Easier I count it to explain

Ketil Malde
2004-11-19 05:07:51 EST
Willem <willem@stack.nl> writes:

> Dunno if you can have Win98 shut itself off automatically at a specified
> time, but having your computer turn on each day is done in the BIOS.
> There should be an option to power on each day at a specified time.

You could of course leave a floppy in the drive, with a minimal Linux
system on it. Make /sbin/init is a script that does DHCP, mounts the
harddisk, wgets or curls the desired stuff, sleeps for eight hours,
and shuts down.

-kzm

Willem
2004-11-19 05:16:48 EST
Ketil wrote:
) You could of course leave a floppy in the drive, with a minimal Linux
) system on it. Make /sbin/init is a script that does DHCP, mounts the
) harddisk, wgets or curls the desired stuff, sleeps for eight hours,
) and shuts down.

Or you could make a bootable CD with a not so minimal linux system on it.

But in any case, if you're savvy enough to be able to run a linux system,
you're savvy enough to find some cmdline apps that can do the same in
Win98. :-)

SaSW, Willem
drugged or something..
#EOT

Dr. Abheek Ghosh
2004-11-19 13:14:30 EST
Ketil Malde <ketil@ii.uib.no> wrote in message news:<egbrduyww8.fsf@dverghimalayaeiner.ii.uib.no>...
> Willem <willem@stack.nl> writes:
>

> You could of course leave a floppy in the drive, with a minimal Linux
> system on it. Make /sbin/init is a script that does DHCP, mounts the
> harddisk, wgets or curls the desired stuff, sleeps for eight hours,
> and shuts down.
>
> -kzm

Dear Sir, I am a novice and didn't understand by what you meant in the
lines above at all, especially :

>Make /sbin/init is a script that does DHCP

I am trying to contact someone whom I know, who will be able to
explain this out to me, but in the meanwhile could you try giving me a
short tutorial on this topic.

I never thought that I would have to enter into programming to solve
this problem.
I am a medical doctor by profession and this thing seems to be beyond
me, but I am ready to learn.
That is, if you kindly oblige.

Regards
Dr. Abheek Ghosh

Dr. Abheek Ghosh
2004-11-19 13:16:52 EST
Michael Mendelsohn <keine.Werbung.1300@msgid.michael.mendelsohn.de> wrote in message news:<419DC53B.3820678E@msgid.michael.mendelsohn.de>...

> For connecting to the net, research command line options for your
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^
> macrorecorder, i.e. you can capture input to your program and then
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> "replay" that input whenever you need.

I didn't understand what exactly you mean by these two statements.
Could you kindly elaborate on this.
Could you please give me some names of these programs that you are
talking about ,so that I can tinker with it.

Regards
Dr. Abheek Ghosh

Michael Heiming
2004-11-20 09:35:49 EST
In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine Dr. Abheek Ghosh <dr.abheek@gmail.com>:
> Dear Friends

> Here is a windows 98 problem for you to help me out with.

> I am going out of station for 5 days.

> During the period while I am gone, I want my pc to start up at a
> specific time every day, connect to the internet , run a particular
> program after connecting to the net and start downloading some files.
> Then, 8 hours after getting connected to the net ,I want my pc to
> disconnect from the net and shut itself off.
> Then again next day ,I want the same sequence of events to be repeated.
> This I want to continue for 5 days till I am back here.

> Is there some way by which this is possible ?

Dunno if this can be done with win98, likely it isn't even able
to stay up for a week.

Should be trivial running Linux, set it up to connect to the
internet on reboot, then start your script from there downloading
wget/curl as already mentioned your stuff. Run an additional
cronjob every 10 minutes or so which shuts down the system if
'uptime' is >= 8h (480 minutes).

Something like this should IIRC do the trick:

awk '$1/60>480{system("/sbin/shutdown -h now")}' /proc/uptime

(Don't try this as root on any linux system with uptime >= 8h you
don't really want to reboot)

Use a cheapo clock timer making power available for about 10 h a
day, if your BIOS doesn't have any feature like this. So the
system has enough time to shutdown cleanly.

Good luck

BTW
Dunno what your problem has to do with wine?

#bofh excuse 379: We've picked COBOL as the language of choice.

The Ghost In The Machine
2004-11-20 12:01:13 EST
In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine, Michael Heiming
<michael+USENET@www.heiming.de>
wrote
on Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:35:49 +0100
<5b1472-vjd.ln1@news.heiming.de>:
> In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine Dr. Abheek Ghosh <dr.abheek@gmail.com>:
>> Dear Friends
>
>> Here is a windows 98 problem for you to help me out with.
>
>> I am going out of station for 5 days.
>
>> During the period while I am gone, I want my pc to start up at a
>> specific time every day, connect to the internet , run a particular
>> program after connecting to the net and start downloading some files.
>> Then, 8 hours after getting connected to the net ,I want my pc to
>> disconnect from the net and shut itself off.
>> Then again next day ,I want the same sequence of events to be repeated.
>> This I want to continue for 5 days till I am back here.
>
>> Is there some way by which this is possible ?
>
> Dunno if this can be done with win98, likely it isn't even able
> to stay up for a week.

Pedant point: it doesn't have to stay up for a week, just for 8 hours.

(Even that, though, might be a bit of a challenge... :-) )

> Should be trivial running Linux, set it up to connect to the
> internet on reboot, then start your script from there downloading
> wget/curl as already mentioned your stuff. Run an additional
> cronjob every 10 minutes or so which shuts down the system if
> 'uptime' is >= 8h (480 minutes).
>
> Something like this should IIRC do the trick:
>
> awk '$1/60>480{system("/sbin/shutdown -h now")}' /proc/uptime
>
> (Don't try this as root on any linux system with uptime >= 8h you
> don't really want to reboot)

A slightly simpler solution can be had with cron:

* 17 * * * /sbin/shutdown -h now

The main issue is starting it up again, which is outside of Linux.

Of course, if one wants to test the awk script, one can replace

/sbin/shutdown -h now

with something like

/bin/echo Testing

:-)

> Use a cheapo clock timer making power available for about 10 h a
> day, if your BIOS doesn't have any feature like this. So the
> system has enough time to shutdown cleanly.

I'm not sure if applying external power to a system would be
sufficient to start it, or not. It may depend on the system.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.

Michael Heiming
2004-11-20 12:24:29 EST
In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine<ewill@sirius.athghost7038suus.net>:
> In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine, Michael Heiming
> <michael+USENET@www.heiming.de>
>> In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine Dr. Abheek Ghosh <dr.abheek@gmail.com>:
>>> Dear Friends
>>
>>> Here is a windows 98 problem for you to help me out with.
>>
>>> I am going out of station for 5 days.
>>
>>> During the period while I am gone, I want my pc to start up at a
>>> specific time every day, connect to the internet , run a particular
>>> program after connecting to the net and start downloading some files.
>>> Then, 8 hours after getting connected to the net ,I want my pc to
>>> disconnect from the net and shut itself off.
>>> Then again next day ,I want the same sequence of events to be repeated.
>>> This I want to continue for 5 days till I am back here.
>>
>>> Is there some way by which this is possible ?
>>
>> Dunno if this can be done with win98, likely it isn't even able
>> to stay up for a week.

> Pedant point: it doesn't have to stay up for a week, just for 8 hours.

;)

> (Even that, though, might be a bit of a challenge... :-) )

LOL

>> Should be trivial running Linux, set it up to connect to the
>> internet on reboot, then start your script from there downloading
>> wget/curl as already mentioned your stuff. Run an additional
>> cronjob every 10 minutes or so which shuts down the system if
>> 'uptime' is >= 8h (480 minutes).
>>
>> Something like this should IIRC do the trick:
>>
>> awk '$1/60>480{system("/sbin/shutdown -h now")}' /proc/uptime
>>
>> (Don't try this as root on any linux system with uptime >= 8h you
>> don't really want to reboot)

> A slightly simpler solution can be had with cron:

> * 17 * * * /sbin/shutdown -h now

Sure, but you count even more on the correctness of your external
clock timer, the line awk should ensure shutting down cleanly
after 8 hours. The idea was let the clock timer run for 10 hours
so you can ensure a controlled shutdown.

> The main issue is starting it up again, which is outside of Linux.

> Of course, if one wants to test the awk script, one can replace

> /sbin/shutdown -h now

> with something like

> /bin/echo Testing

> :-)

Yup, thx for saving me pointing it out.;)

>> Use a cheapo clock timer making power available for about 10 h a
>> day, if your BIOS doesn't have any feature like this. So the
>> system has enough time to shutdown cleanly.

> I'm not sure if applying external power to a system would be
> sufficient to start it, or not. It may depend on the system.

Some can others not, perhaps the BIOS can be configured on others
to provide this.

Anyway, I'd simply let the box run the five days, the OP's tasks
shouldn't be very difficult to automate running Linux, unless
he's going to run some stuff only available on doze. Explaining
at least why he cross-posted to comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine?

#bofh excuse 16: somebody was calculating pi on the server