Policy Discussion: XP File Sharing

XP File Sharing

Rick
2004-10-24 21:18:09 EST
I uninstalled Norton AV 2004 corp edition, rebooted, and was unable to
boot back up. Removed HDD and connected to another machine as slave.
Able to explor the corrupted drive now, missing MBR. Was kept on
different volume, volume there but no boot.ini file etc. Help. Would
like to recover some important files from the HDD with missing MBR,
but getting message "Access Denied. The shared resource was not
created at this time." Getting this when trying to apply allow sharing
on My Documents folder. HELP

Paul Carney
2004-10-25 13:22:26 EST
In this post I'm assuming that the other machine is running XP.

You need to disable "Simple File Sharing", and then take control of
the My Documents folder. To do this...

Double-Click "My Computer".
Click Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Disable Simple File Sharing.
Reboot.

Now if you right-click the My Documents folder in question, and go
into Sharing and Security, you should be able to take ownership of the
folder. Windows normally throws up a dialogue box asking you this. If
not, it's straightforward to do, just folow the on-screen prompts.

Hope this helps.

-Paul C

c*d@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote in message news:<e5cb5e04.0410241718.513fa3b2@posting.google.com>...
> I uninstalled Norton AV 2004 corp edition, rebooted, and was unable to
> boot back up. Removed HDD and connected to another machine as slave.
> Able to explor the corrupted drive now, missing MBR. Was kept on
> different volume, volume there but no boot.ini file etc. Help. Would
> like to recover some important files from the HDD with missing MBR,
> but getting message "Access Denied. The shared resource was not
> created at this time." Getting this when trying to apply allow sharing
> on My Documents folder. HELP

Islander
2004-10-25 13:55:39 EST
The only help I can give you is that you copy and past your files from
your corrupt drive to your non corrupt drive - becarefull not to copy
files that will dammage you working harddrive

c*d@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote in message news:<e5cb5e04.0410241718.513fa3b2@posting.google.com>...
> I uninstalled Norton AV 2004 corp edition, rebooted, and was unable to
> boot back up. Removed HDD and connected to another machine as slave.
> Able to explor the corrupted drive now, missing MBR. Was kept on
> different volume, volume there but no boot.ini file etc. Help. Would
> like to recover some important files from the HDD with missing MBR,
> but getting message "Access Denied. The shared resource was not
> created at this time." Getting this when trying to apply allow sharing
> on My Documents folder. HELP

Blind Rain
2004-10-25 23:00:03 EST
r*3@yahoo.ca (Islander) wrote in message news:<c9024f6a.0410250955.1fbc4cd6@posting.google.com>...
> The only help I can give you is that you copy and past your files from
> your corrupt drive to your non corrupt drive - becarefull not to copy
> files that will dammage you working harddrive
>
> chefwizard@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote in message news:<e5cb5e04.0410241718.513fa3b2@posting.google.com>...
> > I uninstalled Norton AV 2004 corp edition, rebooted, and was unable to
> > boot back up. Removed HDD and connected to another machine as slave.
> > Able to explor the corrupted drive now, missing MBR. Was kept on
> > different volume, volume there but no boot.ini file etc. Help. Would
> > like to recover some important files from the HDD with missing MBR,
> > but getting message "Access Denied. The shared resource was not
> > created at this time." Getting this when trying to apply allow sharing
> > on My Documents folder. HELP

Try to Find Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional at Filemirrors.com

Rick
2004-10-25 23:10:30 EST
I am going to add a loop to this mess, The damaged HDD is running XP
Pro and the new HDD is running XP Home. No radio button for
Enable/disable file and print sharing in Home edition and cant find
anyting in MS KB Any suggestions

c*d@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote in message news:<e5cb5e04.0410241718.513fa3b2@posting.google.com>...
> I uninstalled Norton AV 2004 corp edition, rebooted, and was unable to
> boot back up. Removed HDD and connected to another machine as slave.
> Able to explor the corrupted drive now, missing MBR. Was kept on
> different volume, volume there but no boot.ini file etc. Help. Would
> like to recover some important files from the HDD with missing MBR,
> but getting message "Access Denied. The shared resource was not
> created at this time." Getting this when trying to apply allow sharing
> on My Documents folder. HELP

Rick
2004-10-26 01:52:46 EST
Figured it out with some research, Need to goto MS @
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/scm

Instructions: Download the x86 (Intel) version of the Security
Configuration Manager and save it to your hard disk. Double click the
SCESP4I.EXE file you downloaded and extract the contents to a
temporary location on your hard disk. Then open the folder you
extracted the files to and locate the Setup.inf (Setup Information)
file. Right click Setup.inf and select Install. After the
installation is finished, reboot your computer.
This will add the security and sharing tab to the FOLDER properties >>
able to access now. Next > properties of file > this download then
adds the SECURITY tab to the file properties. Next click on Security
tab >> Advanced >> add Everyone to group of special permissions >>
check mark in Inheret from parent permisssion entries >> able to OPEN
the files and save to new HDD!!! Thanks

Rick B

r*3@yahoo.ca (Islander) wrote in message news:<c9024f6a.0410250955.1fbc4cd6@posting.google.com>...
> The only help I can give you is that you copy and past your files from
> your corrupt drive to your non corrupt drive - becarefull not to copy
> files that will dammage you working harddrive
>
> chefwizard@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote in message news:<e5cb5e04.0410241718.513fa3b2@posting.google.com>...
> > I uninstalled Norton AV 2004 corp edition, rebooted, and was unable to
> > boot back up. Removed HDD and connected to another machine as slave.
> > Able to explor the corrupted drive now, missing MBR. Was kept on
> > different volume, volume there but no boot.ini file etc. Help. Would
> > like to recover some important files from the HDD with missing MBR,
> > but getting message "Access Denied. The shared resource was not
> > created at this time." Getting this when trying to apply allow sharing
> > on My Documents folder. HELP

Tw|sT
2004-10-27 14:31:14 EST
c*d@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote in message news:<e5cb5e04.0410251910.1985aa37@posting.google.com>...
> I am going to add a loop to this mess, The damaged HDD is running XP
> Pro and the new HDD is running XP Home. No radio button for
> Enable/disable file and print sharing in Home edition and cant find
> anyting in MS KB Any suggestions
>
> chefwizard@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote in message news:<e5cb5e04.0410241718.513fa3b2@posting.google.com>...
> > I uninstalled Norton AV 2004 corp edition, rebooted, and was unable to
> > boot back up. Removed HDD and connected to another machine as slave.
> > Able to explor the corrupted drive now, missing MBR. Was kept on
> > different volume, volume there but no boot.ini file etc. Help. Would
> > like to recover some important files from the HDD with missing MBR,
> > but getting message "Access Denied. The shared resource was not
> > created at this time." Getting this when trying to apply allow sharing
> > on My Documents folder. HELP

A great many of these system backups ( done post catastrophy ) can be
achieved successfully using knoppix ( http://www.knoppix.net/ ), the
portable Linux distro. knoppix has SMB support ( File And Printer
Sharing ), and in the newer releases, also comes with R/W support for
NTFS. I've personally used knoppix numerous times to salvage data
from a drive that's going south, and then using knoppix, moved or
copied that data to a share on my server for backup so we could wipe
and re-image/reinstall the OS. Give it a try. Knoppix is now a
staple tool in my shop, and I'll be the first one to say that if your
locked out of a Windows system and need to recover its data but can't
get it to boot natively, use knoppix.