Policy Discussion: ADMIN PASSWORD FOR WIN2K

ADMIN PASSWORD FOR WIN2K

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)

Madhatter
2004-10-28 09:53:41 EST
This is not useful as I cannot get into windows to use the control
panel. I cannot access windows as I do not have the administrator
password to logon to Win2000.

If I use a boot disk to get me into DOS, it says 'invalid' when I try
to access the C: or the CD drive. There is nothing accessable except
the A:?

Can you shed anymore light on this??

ronan_mc_loughlin@hotmail.com (Ronan) wrote in message news:<1f12445d.0410270211.63247b44@posting.google.com>...
> chefwizard@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote in message news:<e5cb5e04.0410261640.16e21a7c@posting.google.com>...
> > Check out this website: I have used several times and has not failed.
> >

> > sp9239@gmail.com (Sandip) wrote in message news:<ed04be0d.0410220956.58ff1601@posting.google.com>...
> > > Visit the link below and hopefully one of the utility within the
> > > Bootable CD will help you restore or reset the password.
> > >
> > > http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

> all you have to do is go into control panal.
> click on administrative tools,
> click on computer management, a new window sholud appear,
> click on LOCAL USER AND GROUPS, THEN CLICK ON USERS
> AND DOUBLE CLICK ON THE USERS NAME YOU WANT TO FIX THEN FOLLOW ON FROM THERE.
>
> HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL, FROM RONAN IN NEWRY N.I

Paul Shells
2004-11-01 10:00:18 EST
Go here and download this free utility and it will boot up and help
you get your password

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm#4
or here to read the full docs on it and to get the newest copy
http://sourceforge.net/projects/austrumi

hope this helps
if it doesn't email me

c*n@btopenworld.com (Madhatter) wrote in message news:<f6e698.0410280546.2678d33@posting.google.com>...
> Actually,
>
> Where is the SAM file found? Do I not need to have the WIN2000 CD
> software as this was not given with the computer??
>

> mrtim5700@yahoo.com (TBone) wrote in message news:<90282bc8.0410270833.781b0759@posting.google.com>...
> > candice.wilson@btopenworld.com (Madhatter) wrote in message news:<f6e698.0410210357.175f46b4@posting.google.com>...
> > > Can ANYONE help. Old company system had three admin users setup, two
> > > named, one called ADMINISTRATOR and a guest. Deleted the two named
> > > admins and left the password for the ADMINISTRATOR logon blank so as
> > > not to worry about forgetting it. Of course, when I went back onto
> > > the system it came up with password login and would not accept it
> > > being blank, and the guest one is locked.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know a cheap way of sorting this out. Have noticed one
> > > comment to take the hard drive out and slave it to another windows 2k
> > > system but do not have one.
> >
> > First: Is this computer on a domain? Did you forget the domain admin
> > password? And is the computer a domain controller?
> >
> > If the computer is a stand alone and not on a domain, the local admin
> > password is easy to clear out.
> >
> > You just need to delete the Windows SAM file (which holds all the
> > passwords). There are a few utilities available to make this easier.
> > ultimatebootcd.com is one. You can also do a google search for "NT
> > Offline password recovery" that will direct you to a version of the
> > utility on the ultimate boot cd that fits on a floppy.
> >
> > If we are dealing with the domain controller we are dealing with a
> > whole other animal.
> >
> > If we are dealing with a DC then deleting the same file will not work
> > (but it is a step).
> >
> > If your computer is a domain controller give me a shout back and I'll
> > give you the steps to cracking the DC.

Madhatter
2004-11-08 05:17:37 EST
Thanks everyone for your help. Especially Paul - used the link given
and bit the bullet and did it. I had to tweek it a bit as the
straightforward replies to the questions did not work, but after 4
attempts it worked and I am now up and running again.

Thanks to you all.

Now just need to know how to override the NETNANNY administrator
password, as want to take it off the computer (fed up with having to
log in each time we use the net)but need Administrator password to
remove it. Any suggestions?