Policy Discussion: ADMIN PASSWORD FOR WIN2K

ADMIN PASSWORD FOR WIN2K

Madhatter
2004-10-21 07:57:13 EST
Can ANYONE help. Old company system had three admin users setup, two
named, one called ADMINISTRATOR and a guest. Deleted the two named
admins and left the password for the ADMINISTRATOR logon blank so as
not to worry about forgetting it. Of course, when I went back onto
the system it came up with password login and would not accept it
being blank, and the guest one is locked.

Does anyone know a cheap way of sorting this out. Have noticed one
comment to take the hard drive out and slave it to another windows 2k
system but do not have one.

Standard12
2004-10-22 03:56:35 EST
Buy a new hard drive

Sandip
2004-10-22 13:56:33 EST
Visit the link below and hopefully one of the utility within the
Bootable CD will help you restore or reset the password.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

c*n@btopenworld.com (Madhatter) wrote in message news:<f6e698.0410210357.175f46b4@posting.google.com>...
> Can ANYONE help. Old company system had three admin users setup, two
> named, one called ADMINISTRATOR and a guest. Deleted the two named
> admins and left the password for the ADMINISTRATOR logon blank so as
> not to worry about forgetting it. Of course, when I went back onto
> the system it came up with password login and would not accept it
> being blank, and the guest one is locked.
>
> Does anyone know a cheap way of sorting this out. Have noticed one
> comment to take the hard drive out and slave it to another windows 2k
> system but do not have one.

ThinRhino
2004-10-26 10:10:12 EST
s*9@gmail.com (Sandip) wrote in message news:<ed04be0d.0410220956.58ff1601@posting.google.com>...
> Visit the link below and hopefully one of the utility within the
> Bootable CD will help you restore or reset the password.
>
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
>

> candice.wilson@btopenworld.com (Madhatter) wrote in message news:<f6e698.0410210357.175f46b4@posting.google.com>...
> > Can ANYONE help. Old company system had three admin users setup, two
> > named, one called ADMINISTRATOR and a guest. Deleted the two named
> > admins and left the password for the ADMINISTRATOR logon blank so as
> > not to worry about forgetting it. Of course, when I went back onto
> > the system it came up with password login and would not accept it
> > being blank, and the guest one is locked.
> >
> > Does anyone know a cheap way of sorting this out. Have noticed one
> > comment to take the hard drive out and slave it to another windows 2k
> > system but do not have one.

Go to c:\winnt\system32\config and del file SAM

Rick
2004-10-26 20:40:54 EST
Check out this website: I have used several times and has not failed.

s*9@gmail.com (Sandip) wrote in message news:<ed04be0d.0410220956.58ff1601@posting.google.com>...
> Visit the link below and hopefully one of the utility within the
> Bootable CD will help you restore or reset the password.
>
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
>

> candice.wilson@btopenworld.com (Madhatter) wrote in message news:<f6e698.0410210357.175f46b4@posting.google.com>...
> > Can ANYONE help. Old company system had three admin users setup, two
> > named, one called ADMINISTRATOR and a guest. Deleted the two named
> > admins and left the password for the ADMINISTRATOR logon blank so as
> > not to worry about forgetting it. Of course, when I went back onto
> > the system it came up with password login and would not accept it
> > being blank, and the guest one is locked.
> >
> > Does anyone know a cheap way of sorting this out. Have noticed one
> > comment to take the hard drive out and slave it to another windows 2k
> > system but do not have one.

Madhatter
2004-10-27 05:04:31 EST
Thanks for all your help.

Will try out the suggestions tonight when I get home.

c*d@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote in message news:<e5cb5e04.0410261640.16e21a7c@posting.google.com>...
> Check out this website: I have used several times and has not failed.
>

> sp9239@gmail.com (Sandip) wrote in message news:<ed04be0d.0410220956.58ff1601@posting.google.com>...
> > Visit the link below and hopefully one of the utility within the
> > Bootable CD will help you restore or reset the password.
> >
> > http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
> >

> > candice.wilson@btopenworld.com (Madhatter) wrote in message news:<f6e698.0410210357.175f46b4@posting.google.com>...
> > > Can ANYONE help. Old company system had three admin users setup, two
> > > named, one called ADMINISTRATOR and a guest. Deleted the two named
> > > admins and left the password for the ADMINISTRATOR logon blank so as
> > > not to worry about forgetting it. Of course, when I went back onto
> > > the system it came up with password login and would not accept it
> > > being blank, and the guest one is locked.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know a cheap way of sorting this out. Have noticed one
> > > comment to take the hard drive out and slave it to another windows 2k
> > > system but do not have one.

Ronan
2004-10-27 06:11:57 EST
c*d@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote in message news:<e5cb5e04.0410261640.16e21a7c@posting.google.com>...
> Check out this website: I have used several times and has not failed.
>

> sp9239@gmail.com (Sandip) wrote in message news:<ed04be0d.0410220956.58ff1601@posting.google.com>...
> > Visit the link below and hopefully one of the utility within the
> > Bootable CD will help you restore or reset the password.
> >
> > http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
> >

> > candice.wilson@btopenworld.com (Madhatter) wrote in message news:<f6e698.0410210357.175f46b4@posting.google.com>...
> > > Can ANYONE help. Old company system had three admin users setup, two
> > > named, one called ADMINISTRATOR and a guest. Deleted the two named
> > > admins and left the password for the ADMINISTRATOR logon blank so as
> > > not to worry about forgetting it. Of course, when I went back onto
> > > the system it came up with password login and would not accept it
> > > being blank, and the guest one is locked.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know a cheap way of sorting this out. Have noticed one
> > > comment to take the hard drive out and slave it to another windows 2k
> > > system but do not have one.

all you have to do is go into control panal.
click on administrative tools,
click on computer management, a new window sholud appear,
click on LOCAL USER AND GROUPS, THEN CLICK ON USERS
AND DOUBLE CLICK ON THE USERS NAME YOU WANT TO FIX THEN FOLLOW ON FROM THERE.

HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL, FROM RONAN IN NEWRY N.I

TBone
2004-10-27 12:33:17 EST
c*n@btopenworld.com (Madhatter) wrote in message news:<f6e698.0410210357.175f46b4@posting.google.com>...
> Can ANYONE help. Old company system had three admin users setup, two
> named, one called ADMINISTRATOR and a guest. Deleted the two named
> admins and left the password for the ADMINISTRATOR logon blank so as
> not to worry about forgetting it. Of course, when I went back onto
> the system it came up with password login and would not accept it
> being blank, and the guest one is locked.
>
> Does anyone know a cheap way of sorting this out. Have noticed one
> comment to take the hard drive out and slave it to another windows 2k
> system but do not have one.

First: Is this computer on a domain? Did you forget the domain admin
password? And is the computer a domain controller?

If the computer is a stand alone and not on a domain, the local admin
password is easy to clear out.

You just need to delete the Windows SAM file (which holds all the
passwords). There are a few utilities available to make this easier.
ultimatebootcd.com is one. You can also do a google search for "NT
Offline password recovery" that will direct you to a version of the
utility on the ultimate boot cd that fits on a floppy.

If we are dealing with the domain controller we are dealing with a
whole other animal.

If we are dealing with a DC then deleting the same file will not work
(but it is a step).

If your computer is a domain controller give me a shout back and I'll
give you the steps to cracking the DC.

Madhatter
2004-10-28 09:40:30 EST
The computer is a stand alone but had different users all as admin. I
thought the one that was called 'administrator' would have been the
default one so I deleted the rest but apparently not, or maybe it is
because I left the password blank. Anyway, I have used a Windows boot
disk to get into DOS but when I try to access the C: it says it is
invalid, but I know it has to be there as it loads up as far as
windows 2000 login screen and requests the password. Therefore I
cannot delete the SAM file or anything else as I can only access the
A: and nothing else. Not very computer technical, so do not know if
this is normal for being locked out of the admin password entry.

Do not have the original Windows 2000 CD as this was not supplied with
the system and therefore cannot make a floppy startup disk for
WIN2000.

Am wondering if I buy a new hard drive and install it if I can then
load WINXP and start from scratch or if the admin password is not held
in the hard drive.

Can anyone help any further?

m*0@yahoo.com (TBone) wrote in message news:<90282bc8.0410270833.781b0759@posting.google.com>...
> candice.wilson@btopenworld.com (Madhatter) wrote in message news:<f6e698.0410210357.175f46b4@posting.google.com>...
> > Can ANYONE help. Old company system had three admin users setup, two
> > named, one called ADMINISTRATOR and a guest. Deleted the two named
> > admins and left the password for the ADMINISTRATOR logon blank so as
> > not to worry about forgetting it. Of course, when I went back onto
> > the system it came up with password login and would not accept it
> > being blank, and the guest one is locked.
> >
> > Does anyone know a cheap way of sorting this out. Have noticed one
> > comment to take the hard drive out and slave it to another windows 2k
> > system but do not have one.
>
> First: Is this computer on a domain? Did you forget the domain admin
> password? And is the computer a domain controller?
>
> If the computer is a stand alone and not on a domain, the local admin
> password is easy to clear out.
>
> You just need to delete the Windows SAM file (which holds all the
> passwords). There are a few utilities available to make this easier.
> ultimatebootcd.com is one. You can also do a google search for "NT
> Offline password recovery" that will direct you to a version of the
> utility on the ultimate boot cd that fits on a floppy.
>
> If we are dealing with the domain controller we are dealing with a
> whole other animal.
>
> If we are dealing with a DC then deleting the same file will not work
> (but it is a step).
>
> If your computer is a domain controller give me a shout back and I'll
> give you the steps to cracking the DC.

Madhatter
2004-10-28 09:46:27 EST
Actually,

Where is the SAM file found? Do I not need to have the WIN2000 CD
software as this was not given with the computer??