Policy Discussion: Can't Install Dual Booting System(Windows 98 & Windows XP)

Can't Install Dual Booting System(Windows 98 & Windows XP)

A.S. Arora
2004-10-03 10:00:53 EST
Hi,

I am having 1.7 Ghz Celeron processor with 80845GL motherboard with
RAM 128 Mb.
I am not able to install dual booting system. I am having four
partitions on my 40 GB hard disk. While installing windows XP, it
hangs while it comes to "preparing to install". Moreover it doesn't
ask for the drive to install windows XP in. Please help.

A.S.Arora

Артур
2004-10-04 04:09:44 EST
A.S. Arora wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having 1.7 Ghz Celeron processor with 80845GL motherboard with
> RAM 128 Mb.
> I am not able to install dual booting system. I am having four
> partitions on my 40 GB hard disk. While installing windows XP, it
> hangs while it comes to "preparing to install". Moreover it doesn't
> ask for the drive to install windows XP in. Please help.
>
> A.S.Arora
try to decrease the No of partitions to 3 or even 2

MG
2004-10-04 13:25:04 EST
You have not come up with the detail like
What is the presend operating system in the Hard Disk?
If it is windows, through explorer you can run installation process,
instead of booting with xp CD.
Regards
MG

A.S. Arora
2004-10-05 09:56:37 EST
m*r@gmail.com (MG) wrote in message news:<1d18616c.0410040925.39555a1c@posting.google.com>...
> You have not come up with the detail like
> What is the presend operating system in the Hard Disk?
> If it is windows, through explorer you can run installation process,
> instead of booting with xp CD.
> Regards
> MG

I am already having windows 98 installed in partition c, and i tried
installing windows xp through windows explorer itself, it runs but
does not ask, where it should install means in which drive. And
moreover when it installs it hangs while it reaches "preparing to
install". Please help. As i am having four partitions, should i reduce
partitions to two. But how i can do that. Would i lose data? Please
reply.

Артур
2004-10-05 10:13:43 EST
A.S. Arora wrote:

> mgiridhar@gmail.com (MG) wrote in message news:<1d18616c.0410040925.39555a1c@posting.google.com>...
>
>>You have not come up with the detail like
>>What is the presend operating system in the Hard Disk?
>>If it is windows, through explorer you can run installation process,
>>instead of booting with xp CD.
>>Regards
>>MG
>

> I am already having windows 98 installed in partition c, and i tried
> installing windows xp through windows explorer itself, it runs but
> does not ask, where it should install means in which drive. And
> moreover when it installs it hangs while it reaches "preparing to
> install". Please help. As i am having four partitions, should i reduce
> partitions to two. But how i can do that. Would i lose data? Please
> reply.
just leave the partitions U R going to delete empty ( for example u
have C,D,F,G and U R gonna to delete F and G partitions so just transfer
the data from them to C and D and then delete F and G). Moreover U
better install XP firstly (drive C) and then Win98

Kaps
2004-10-06 11:43:54 EST
????? <plart@berill.dp.ua> wrote in message news:<cjua1a$2j8b$1@pandora.alkar.net>...
> A.S. Arora wrote:
>
> > mgiridhar@gmail.com (MG) wrote in message news:<1d18616c.0410040925.39555a1c@posting.google.com>...
> >
> >>You have not come up with the detail like
> >>What is the presend operating system in the Hard Disk?
> >>If it is windows, through explorer you can run installation process,
> >>instead of booting with xp CD.
> >>Regards
> >>MG
> >

> > I am already having windows 98 installed in partition c, and i tried
> > installing windows xp through windows explorer itself, it runs but
> > does not ask, where it should install means in which drive. And
> > moreover when it installs it hangs while it reaches "preparing to
> > install". Please help. As i am having four partitions, should i reduce
> > partitions to two. But how i can do that. Would i lose data? Please
> > reply.
> just leave the partitions U R going to delete empty ( for example u
> have C,D,F,G and U R gonna to delete F and G partitions so just transfer
> the data from them to C and D and then delete F and G). Moreover U
> better install XP firstly (drive C) and then Win98

Hi,

As far as i think, provide some more info:
On which drive is Win98 installed?
Is Win98 working perfectly?

If Yes is the answer then... no of partitions should not be a matter
untill u run out of space for installing other s/w on a particular
drive.

Do u hv some critical data on the Hard drive?
If u hv, take a back-up!

How much is ur system's memory (SDRAM). It should be >= 128mb
(preferably).

Ensure that WinXP is 'installable' on some other system.

Arrange for a spare 'Good' Memory Module, if possible use a memory
module on which XP 'alone' was installed & executable. Remove ur
existing Memory Module & NOW try installing ur WinXP on Win98 system.

bfn
kaps
:)

Mr.SHARKY
2004-10-13 17:22:56 EST
a*a@gmail.com (A.S. Arora) wrote in message news:<8194b44c.0410050556.a89f26f@posting.google.com>...
> mgiridhar@gmail.com (MG) wrote in message news:<1d18616c.0410040925.39555a1c@posting.google.com>...
> > You have not come up with the detail like
> > What is the presend operating system in the Hard Disk?
> > If it is windows, through explorer you can run installation process,
> > instead of booting with xp CD.
> > Regards
> > MG
>
> I am already having windows 98 installed in partition c, and i tried
> installing windows xp through windows explorer itself, it runs but
> does not ask, where it should install means in which drive. And
> moreover when it installs it hangs while it reaches "preparing to
> install". Please help. As i am having four partitions, should i reduce
> partitions to two. But how i can do that. Would i lose data? Please
> reply.

Haloa
First of all no fear- you can use the Partition Magic to resize your
partitions and also to make from a few partitions one only!- no data
to be lose.
Now, you can install the Windows XP from!... Windows 98 and not out of
them
(not! from the boot CD). When the Windows XP prepairing himself for
the installation, you must choise a "new installation" and very
important- the secendery OS must be on the other partition than the
primary OS. By the way, somebody sayd to you "better Windows xp first,
and then to install a Windows 98! B/Sh...t. First- Windows 98! Trust
me. This doesn't work.
Enjoy you

Zink
2004-10-13 21:53:19 EST
Make sure your partition is large enough to hold Win XP. I'm not sure
why you aren't being prompted to select a volume! Your copy of XP may
be funky.
Also, you should defrag your partitions before installing the OS. Even
if the defrag utility says you don't need to defrag the volume, do it.

Greg