Policy Discussion: Saving Client Data On Server

Saving Client Data On Server

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)

Adi
2004-10-07 18:32:16 EST
ludakris_2003_celts@hotmail.com (Kristofer McCusker) wrote in message news:<55fc3a4a.0410070440.678a8c17@posting.google.com>...
> Heres another message

THANKS A LOT FOR UE HELP

Adi
2004-10-07 18:32:35 EST
ludakris_2003_celts@hotmail.com (Kristofer McCusker) wrote in message news:<55fc3a4a.0410070441.d754336@posting.google.com>...
> chandak@gmail.com (adi) wrote in message news:<f8ae79ed.0410060810.74684bc1@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> > I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
> > comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
> > want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
> > not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
> > the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
> > be able to delete or modify the file.
> >
> > Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Adi
>
> Heres the third message from me so read it and study it.

THANKS A LOT FOR UR HELP

Adi
2004-10-07 18:32:59 EST
ludakris_2003_celts@hotmail.com (Kristofer McCusker) wrote in message news:<55fc3a4a.0410070441.51f32223@posting.google.com>...
> chandak@gmail.com (adi) wrote in message news:<f8ae79ed.0410060810.74684bc1@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> > I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
> > comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
> > want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
> > not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
> > the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
> > be able to delete or modify the file.
> >
> > Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Adi
>
> Hello me again heres a fourth (4th) message for all you daftys

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH

Adi
2004-10-07 18:33:17 EST
ludakris_2003_celts@hotmail.com (Kristofer McCusker) wrote in message news:<55fc3a4a.0410070442.6889a751@posting.google.com>...
> chandak@gmail.com (adi) wrote in message news:<f8ae79ed.0410060810.74684bc1@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> > I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
> > comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
> > want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
> > not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
> > the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
> > be able to delete or modify the file.
> >
> > Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Adi
>
> Last but not least heres ma 5th, see ye'z

THANK YOU

Adi
2004-10-08 01:24:36 EST
j*k@yahoo.com (Joe_AZ) wrote in message news:<6047568b.0410071312.44f0e19f@posting.google.com>...
> chandak@gmail.com (adi) wrote in message news:<f8ae79ed.0410060810.74684bc1@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> > I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
> > comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
> > want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
> > not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
> > the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
> > be able to delete or modify the file.
> >
> > Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Adi
>
> Hello Adi,
>
> I am going to assume that you have network connectivity between your
> workstations and the server.
>
> To implement what you described, you will need to create a folder on
> the server where you want to files to be stored. You can then share
> the folder (from the folder Properties window). I recommend removing
> the default Everyone group and assign something more restrictive, like
> your Domain Users group.
>
> To set the permissions so your users can only add data and not delete
> it, you will need to specify some NTFS security permissions. From the
> same data folder properties window, switch to the Permissions tab.
> Again, remove the Everyone group (if listed) and add a group that
> contains all your users that will be accessing this share (Domain
> Users). Check the box for "Read & Execute" permission. This will
> automatically check "List Folder Contents" and "Read" permission
> (thats ok).
>
> Next click the Advanced button. This opens another window titled
> Advanced Security Settings... Select the group you just added and
> click the Edit button. Make sure the "Apply onto" drop down box says
> "This folder, subfolders and files". Now check the box for "Create
> Files/Write Data". If can also let them create subfolders if you want
> from here (among other things). Click the OK button on all open
> windows to save your changes.
>
> The client PC's will need to map a drive or browse to the new share
> location. This should allow the behavior you described... they can add
> and read data on the server share, but cannot delete anything.
>
> I hope this helps. Good luck.
> Joe - MCSA, MCSE

Hi Joe,
Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I'll try what you have
suggested and will get back to you.
Thanks again.

Adi

McRadu
2004-10-15 06:34:46 EST
Question:
After you done that how you stop the users from deleting the files
that they uploaded to the server as adi needs.

McRadu

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)