Policy Discussion: Saving Client Data On Server

Saving Client Data On Server

Adi
2004-10-06 12:10:51 EST
Hi,
I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
be able to delete or modify the file.

Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.

Adi

Kristofer McCusker
2004-10-07 08:39:35 EST
Wottup im a new user, wayhay

Kristofer McCusker
2004-10-07 08:40:19 EST
Heres another message

Kristofer McCusker
2004-10-07 08:41:13 EST
c*k@gmail.com (adi) wrote in message news:<f8ae79ed.0410060810.74684bc1@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
> comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
> want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
> not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
> the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
> be able to delete or modify the file.
>
> Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
>
> Adi

Heres the third message from me so read it and study it.

Kristofer McCusker
2004-10-07 08:41:52 EST
c*k@gmail.com (adi) wrote in message news:<f8ae79ed.0410060810.74684bc1@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
> comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
> want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
> not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
> the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
> be able to delete or modify the file.
>
> Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
>
> Adi

Hello me again heres a fourth (4th) message for all you daftys

Kristofer McCusker
2004-10-07 08:42:29 EST
c*k@gmail.com (adi) wrote in message news:<f8ae79ed.0410060810.74684bc1@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
> comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
> want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
> not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
> the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
> be able to delete or modify the file.
>
> Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
>
> Adi

Last but not least heres ma 5th, see ye'z

Kristofer McCusker
2004-10-07 09:11:46 EST
c*k@gmail.com (adi) wrote in message news:<f8ae79ed.0410060810.74684bc1@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
> comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
> want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
> not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
> the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
> be able to delete or modify the file.
>
> Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
>
> Adi

I have no help to give you but i need to post this message because i
need it to fill my folder dutys at langside college glasgow, try
sumwhere else for help because i doubt anyone can be botherd to answer
your querie, cye Kris McC

Joe_AZ
2004-10-07 17:12:31 EST
c*k@gmail.com (adi) wrote in message news:<f8ae79ed.0410060810.74684bc1@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
> comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
> want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
> not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
> the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
> be able to delete or modify the file.
>
> Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
>
> Adi

Hello Adi,

I am going to assume that you have network connectivity between your
workstations and the server.

To implement what you described, you will need to create a folder on
the server where you want to files to be stored. You can then share
the folder (from the folder Properties window). I recommend removing
the default Everyone group and assign something more restrictive, like
your Domain Users group.

To set the permissions so your users can only add data and not delete
it, you will need to specify some NTFS security permissions. From the
same data folder properties window, switch to the Permissions tab.
Again, remove the Everyone group (if listed) and add a group that
contains all your users that will be accessing this share (Domain
Users). Check the box for "Read & Execute" permission. This will
automatically check "List Folder Contents" and "Read" permission
(thats ok).

Next click the Advanced button. This opens another window titled
Advanced Security Settings... Select the group you just added and
click the Edit button. Make sure the "Apply onto" drop down box says
"This folder, subfolders and files". Now check the box for "Create
Files/Write Data". If can also let them create subfolders if you want
from here (among other things). Click the OK button on all open
windows to save your changes.

The client PC's will need to map a drive or browse to the new share
location. This should allow the behavior you described... they can add
and read data on the server share, but cannot delete anything.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Joe - MCSA, MCSE

Adi
2004-10-07 18:31:26 EST
ludakris_2003_celts@hotmail.com (Kristofer McCusker) wrote in message news:<55fc3a4a.0410070511.54bd7529@posting.google.com>...
> chandak@gmail.com (adi) wrote in message news:<f8ae79ed.0410060810.74684bc1@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> > I am a newbie to Windows networking and currently looking after a LAN
> > comprising of 25 clients running Win XP and Win 2000 as Server OS. I
> > want that the client should be able to store files on the server, I am
> > not sure as to what settings needs done on the server and if any on
> > the client. Further once the files are uploaded the client should not
> > be able to delete or modify the file.
> >
> > Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Adi
>
> I have no help to give you but i need to post this message because i
> need it to fill my folder dutys at langside college glasgow, try
> sumwhere else for help because i doubt anyone can be botherd to answer
> your querie, cye Kris McC

THANKS A LOT FOR UR HELP

Adi
2004-10-07 18:31:55 EST