Policy Discussion: Backup Advice Needed

Backup Advice Needed

Haley
2004-09-18 18:44:40 EST
Hi,

I have a Dell 4400 running XP. My hard drive crashed and I lost
everything. I know, I should have at least backed up my personal
files. Anyway, I've spent the last three days rebuilding a new drive
(installing XP and all the software that I had previously loaded). My
question is, what's the best way to back up my c drive? I'd like to
create an image of my entire drive about once a month. Thay way if I
have another drive failure it won't take me days to rebuild. I don't
know much about hardware. Should I buy a zip drive, install an extra
hard drive...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Techie
2004-09-19 03:57:01 EST
b*e@earthlink.net (haley) wrote in message news:<4b9e37d2.0409181444.59d36194@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell 4400 running XP. My hard drive crashed and I lost
> everything. I know, I should have at least backed up my personal
> files. Anyway, I've spent the last three days rebuilding a new drive
> (installing XP and all the software that I had previously loaded). My
> question is, what's the best way to back up my c drive? I'd like to
> create an image of my entire drive about once a month. Thay way if I
> have another drive failure it won't take me days to rebuild. I don't
> know much about hardware. Should I buy a zip drive, install an extra
> hard drive...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA!

Hi ,

I would like to suggest you to get cd writer as it will be easier to
take backups of important data easily.

Silicon Alley Computers
2004-09-27 17:49:20 EST
b*e@earthlink.net (haley) wrote in message news:<4b9e37d2.0409181444.59d36194@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell 4400 running XP. My hard drive crashed and I lost
> everything. I know, I should have at least backed up my personal
> files. Anyway, I've spent the last three days rebuilding a new drive
> (installing XP and all the software that I had previously loaded). My
> question is, what's the best way to back up my c drive? I'd like to
> create an image of my entire drive about once a month. Thay way if I
> have another drive failure it won't take me days to rebuild. I don't
> know much about hardware. Should I buy a zip drive, install an extra
> hard drive...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA!

Hi Haley,
You should consider an additional hard drive, external hard
drive, cdrw, dvdrw, or zip drive. The larger storage can be obtained
from a hard drive and backups will be fastest with an internal hard
drive. DVDRWs provide 4.7GB of storage per disc and are usually
Hi-speed USB or firewire. CDRWs offer up less than 1GB of storage.

Silicon Alley Computers
www.siliconalleycomputers.com

Kaps
2004-09-30 15:21:17 EST
s*t@siliconalleycomputers.com (Silicon Alley Computers) wrote in message news:<e9f336b4.0409271349.59f3238d@posting.google.com>...
> bluedolphincove@earthlink.net (haley) wrote in message news:<4b9e37d2.0409181444.59d36194@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Dell 4400 running XP. My hard drive crashed and I lost
> > everything. I know, I should have at least backed up my personal
> > files. Anyway, I've spent the last three days rebuilding a new drive
> > (installing XP and all the software that I had previously loaded). My
> > question is, what's the best way to back up my c drive? I'd like to
> > create an image of my entire drive about once a month. Thay way if I
> > have another drive failure it won't take me days to rebuild. I don't
> > know much about hardware. Should I buy a zip drive, install an extra
> > hard drive...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > TIA!
>

> Hi Haley,
> You should consider an additional hard drive, external hard
> drive, cdrw, dvdrw, or zip drive. The larger storage can be obtained
> from a hard drive and backups will be fastest with an internal hard
> drive. DVDRWs provide 4.7GB of storage per disc and are usually
> Hi-speed USB or firewire. CDRWs offer up less than 1GB of storage.
>
> Silicon Alley Computers
> www.siliconalleycomputers.com

hi,
i would agree to both of them. u can go for a CD-writer or HDD. CDs
are comparitively easier to manage (but hv a regular expense) &
atleast no s/w damage (virus) could possibly 'hurt' the CD media (if
one time writable CD media). But if the volume of data is large (more
than 700mb) then u can go for DVDRWs (4.7GB) as told by haley but if
more then will hv to configure two hard-drives (one being the mirror
of other) so that even one crashes u still hv the data!
hope u r safe now!
kaps
:)

Cruz
2004-10-07 10:36:20 EST
soni_kapil@rediffmail.com (kaps) wrote in message news:<fee321cd.0409301121.35e2230e@posting.google.com>...
> support@siliconalleycomputers.com (Silicon Alley Computers) wrote in message news:<e9f336b4.0409271349.59f3238d@posting.google.com>...
> > bluedolphincove@earthlink.net (haley) wrote in message news:<4b9e37d2.0409181444.59d36194@posting.google.com>...

Hay there

this would be my advice is to use a 2ND hard drive or a exsternal and
use the program Ghost. that is what i do on mine and if i get in
trubble, i just restore D back to C and thats that. the program is
real user friendly. if i install programs and make changes, then i do
another backup to D again.if it gets to were you can not reboot, just
change your boot drive to D in the Bios to reboot to the backup drive.
if you want two backups, you can add another hard drive and do the
same thing on it so you have two backups. just in case one gets
curupt, but i have had not problems using just one extra hard drive.
hope that helps. Larry

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a Dell 4400 running XP. My hard drive crashed and I lost
> > > everything. I know, I should have at least backed up my personal
> > > files. Anyway, I've spent the last three days rebuilding a new drive
> > > (installing XP and all the software that I had previously loaded). My
> > > question is, what's the best way to back up my c drive? I'd like to
> > > create an image of my entire drive about once a month. Thay way if I
> > > have another drive failure it won't take me days to rebuild. I don't
> > > know much about hardware. Should I buy a zip drive, install an extra
> > > hard drive...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > TIA!
> >

> > Hi Haley,
> > You should consider an additional hard drive, external hard
> > drive, cdrw, dvdrw, or zip drive. The larger storage can be obtained
> > from a hard drive and backups will be fastest with an internal hard
> > drive. DVDRWs provide 4.7GB of storage per disc and are usually
> > Hi-speed USB or firewire. CDRWs offer up less than 1GB of storage.
> >
> > Silicon Alley Computers
> > www.siliconalleycomputers.com
>
> hi,
> i would agree to both of them. u can go for a CD-writer or HDD. CDs
> are comparitively easier to manage (but hv a regular expense) &
> atleast no s/w damage (virus) could possibly 'hurt' the CD media (if
> one time writable CD media). But if the volume of data is large (more
> than 700mb) then u can go for DVDRWs (4.7GB) as told by haley but if
> more then will hv to configure two hard-drives (one being the mirror
> of other) so that even one crashes u still hv the data!
> hope u r safe now!
> kaps
> :)

DC
2004-10-11 19:04:59 EST
b*e@earthlink.net (haley) wrote in message news:<4b9e37d2.0409181444.59d36194@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell 4400 running XP. My hard drive crashed and I lost
> everything. I know, I should have at least backed up my personal
> files. Anyway, I've spent the last three days rebuilding a new drive
> (installing XP and all the software that I had previously loaded). My
> question is, what's the best way to back up my c drive? I'd like to
> create an image of my entire drive about once a month. Thay way if I
> have another drive failure it won't take me days to rebuild. I don't
> know much about hardware. Should I buy a zip drive, install an extra
> hard drive...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA!

Hi Bluedolphin,,,,
may i recomend you install a 2nd hard drive which doesn't have to be
that large and use a 3rd party disk imaging software to take a
snapshot of your number one hard drive and store that image on your
number two drive. All your data and configurations are safe and can be
restored in just a couple of clicks in a matter of minutes,,,,may i
recomend "powerquest drive image"
Dave.

McRadu
2004-10-15 06:26:11 EST
After you had finnished installing everything (OS, Drivers,
Software)you can create a image of your drive using ghost. And that
image you can burn it to a cd/dvd. That image you can use every time
your system crashes or you have problems.
The best way to do data backup for home use is to create cd/dvd
backup. A second HDD can crash as well (power problems...). You can
create folders for each week in which you save your work for that week
and at the end of the week you write your work on cd/dvd.
You can also buy a set of rewritable cd/dvd`s (3 pcs+1 pcs only
writable) and in one month you can fallow these schedule:

1 week rewriteable
2 week rewriteable
3 week rewriteable
4 week writeable

5 week rewriteable (the one that you use in week 1)
6 week rewriteable (the one that you use in week 2)
7 week rewriteable (the one that you use in week 3)
8 week writeable

and so on and so on.
it is a little complicated but is sure that if you lose something you
lose max the last week.
if you have something very important you can also create a cd/dvd copy
on the spot.
Hope I was usefull.

McRadu

b*x@hotmail.com (DC) wrote in message news:<89f61c6c.0410111504.7a7b8911@posting.google.com>...
> bluedolphincove@earthlink.net (haley) wrote in message news:<4b9e37d2.0409181444.59d36194@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Dell 4400 running XP. My hard drive crashed and I lost
> > everything. I know, I should have at least backed up my personal
> > files. Anyway, I've spent the last three days rebuilding a new drive
> > (installing XP and all the software that I had previously loaded). My
> > question is, what's the best way to back up my c drive? I'd like to
> > create an image of my entire drive about once a month. Thay way if I
> > have another drive failure it won't take me days to rebuild. I don't
> > know much about hardware. Should I buy a zip drive, install an extra
> > hard drive...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > TIA!
>

> Hi Bluedolphin,,,,
> may i recomend you install a 2nd hard drive which doesn't have to be
> that large and use a 3rd party disk imaging software to take a
> snapshot of your number one hard drive and store that image on your
> number two drive. All your data and configurations are safe and can be
> restored in just a couple of clicks in a matter of minutes,,,,may i
> recomend "powerquest drive image"
> Dave.

Frank
2004-10-21 11:59:45 EST