Fishing Discussion: JIGS, Jigs, JiGs, JIgS, Jigs, ...

JIGS, Jigs, JiGs, JIgS, Jigs, ...

Ark Pisarevsky
1990-01-19 08:17:48 EST

Hello Net-Fishermen.

I am beginning to prepare for the coming season and the first
activity planned is the walleye trip to Canada.

Now, in my book waleyes and jigs go together. I had good luck
in the past with Northland Fireball (tm) jigs. Especially their
lime-green color. But in perusing several old issues of In-Fisherman
I realized that there are several other popular companies/designs
(Jig-A-Whopper and Lindy-Little-Joe come to mind right now).

Would anybody care to comment on these or other brands/styles.
How about different jigging techniques ? Very slow lift-drop,
kind of like plastic worm, works for me.

Also, if anybody sees this message in North Bay, Canada I would
really love to hear from you. Our spring trip is for Lake Nippising
and we need some sage local advice.

Well, I got to go, there are people around who think that
posting about fishing is not work :-) :-)

Happy Trails,

...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!arkady

James F. Blake
1990-01-19 11:22:20 EST
From article <2281@kodak.UUCP>, by arkady@kodak.UUCP (Ark Pisarevsky):
]
] I am beginning to prepare for the coming season and the first
] activity planned is the walleye trip to Canada.
]
] Now, in my book waleyes and jigs go together. I had good luck
] in the past with Northland Fireball (tm) jigs. Especially their
] lime-green color. But in perusing several old issues of In-Fisherman
] I realized that there are several other popular companies/designs
] (Jig-A-Whopper and Lindy-Little-Joe come to mind right now).
]
] Would anybody care to comment on these or other brands/styles.
] How about different jigging techniques ? Very slow lift-drop,
] kind of like plastic worm, works for me.

I was in Saskatoon 2 years ago at Woolaston lake lodge. I had
all sorts of jigs, but the guide I was with gave me some "skin head"
lime-green/metal flake jigs to use (these are the kind that have a
pocket to enclose the metal jig head). I found these types of jigs to
be ca. 2-3 times more effective than "normal" jigs. I believe he
purchased his from Bass Pro Shops. They were of the "Mister Twister"
variety.

My own special "walleye-killer" rig was a 1oz needle weight in front of
a 2 1/2 - 3 foot leader with a 5" black/silver floating Rapala
following. I would slowly troll this rig, letting it bounce off the
bottom until we found walleyes.

Jim