Bible Discussion: CNN: Expedition To Search

CNN: Expedition To Search
Posts: 10

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

JaBrIoL
2004-05-02 07:56:09 EST
Expedition to search for Noah's Ark
Monday, April 26, 2004 Posted: 4:40 PM EDT (2040 GMT)



Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock- The Trinity
Corporation, hopes an expedition this summer will uncover Noah's Ark.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- An expedition is being planned for this summer to
the upper reaches of Turkey's Mount Ararat where organizers hope to
prove an object nestled amid the snow and ice is Noah's Ark.

A joint U.S.-Turkish team of 10 explorers plans to make the arduous
trek up Turkey's tallest mountain, at 17,820 feet, from July 15 to
August 15, subject to the approval of the Turkish government, said Daniel P.
McGivern, president of Shamrock- The Trinity Corporation of Honolulu,
Hawaii.

The goal: to enter what they believe to be a mammoth structure some
45 feet high, 75 feet wide and up to 450 feet long that was exposed in
part by last summer's heat wave in Europe.

"We are not excavating it. We are not taking any artifacts. We're
going to photograph it and, God willing, you're all going to see it,"
McGivern said.

Explorers have long searched for an ark on the high slopes of Mount
Ararat, where the biblical account of the Great Flood places it.

In 1957, Turkish air force pilots spotted a boat-shaped formation in
Agri province. The government did not pursue the sighting, however. The
entire area, including Mount Ararat, was off limits to foreigners
because of Soviet complaints that explorers were U.S. spies.

That ban was lifted in 1982, and since then teams of explorers have
visited the area but have been unable to substantiate any claim of an
ark.

McGivern and Ahmet Ali Arslan, a Turkish mountain climber who grew up
in a town near Mount Ararat, say satellite photos have helped them
pinpoint a more exact location. Arslan will be leading the expedition.

The biblical account in the Book of Genesis says that after the great
deluge, the ark came to rest on the mountain with Noah's family and a
cargo of male and female pairs of every kind of animal.

Geologists say even though there is evidence of a flood in
Mesopotamia in Sumerian times, it is not possible for a ship to make landfall at
an altitude as high as Mount Ararat.

The Nolalu Barn Owl
2004-05-02 09:24:49 EST
On 2 May 2004 04:56:09 -0700, Jabriol@excite.com (JaBrIoL) wrote:

>Expedition to search for Noah's Ark
> Monday, April 26, 2004 Posted: 4:40 PM EDT (2040 GMT)
>
>
>
> Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock- The Trinity
>Corporation, hopes an expedition this summer will uncover Noah's Ark.
> WASHINGTON (AP) -- An expedition is being planned for this summer to
>the upper reaches of Turkey's Mount Ararat where organizers hope to
>prove an object nestled amid the snow and ice is Noah's Ark.
>
> A joint U.S.-Turkish team of 10 explorers plans to make the arduous
>trek up Turkey's tallest mountain, at 17,820 feet, from July 15 to
>August 15, subject to the approval of the Turkish government, said Daniel P.
>McGivern, president of Shamrock- The Trinity Corporation of Honolulu,
>Hawaii.
>
> The goal: to enter what they believe to be a mammoth structure some
>45 feet high, 75 feet wide and up to 450 feet long that was exposed in
>part by last summer's heat wave in Europe.
>
> "We are not excavating it. We are not taking any artifacts. We're
>going to photograph it and, God willing, you're all going to see it,"
>McGivern said.
>
> Explorers have long searched for an ark on the high slopes of Mount
>Ararat, where the biblical account of the Great Flood places it.
>
> In 1957, Turkish air force pilots spotted a boat-shaped formation in
>Agri province. The government did not pursue the sighting, however. The
>entire area, including Mount Ararat, was off limits to foreigners
>because of Soviet complaints that explorers were U.S. spies.
>
> That ban was lifted in 1982, and since then teams of explorers have
>visited the area but have been unable to substantiate any claim of an
>ark.
>
> McGivern and Ahmet Ali Arslan, a Turkish mountain climber who grew up
>in a town near Mount Ararat, say satellite photos have helped them
>pinpoint a more exact location. Arslan will be leading the expedition.
>
> The biblical account in the Book of Genesis says that after the great
>deluge, the ark came to rest on the mountain with Noah's family and a
>cargo of male and female pairs of every kind of animal.
>
> Geologists say even though there is evidence of a flood in
>Mesopotamia in Sumerian times, it is not possible for a ship to make landfall at
>an altitude as high as Mount Ararat.


Somtimes I think that God keeps these thing deliberately just out of
reach. He wants us to act on faith and be blessed because of it (John
20:29).
--
Gordie

CULTS AND SECTS:

"Remember: every sect in the world feeds off of the Catholic Church.
Our Holy Catholic Church is like a great and extremely precious
unpolished diamond, from which every so often somebody takes a particle
and polishes it--not without the help of the evil one--so that it begins
to shine better that the great unpolished diamond. And this shine draws
men, dazzles them and deceives them, so that the particle necessarily is
worn out and comes to nothing. This is the game of deception, which
appears and reappears with time. Jesus warned us to watch out for it!"

Padre (Saint) Pio - Stories of Padre Pio p.60
by Madame Katharina Tangari
ISBN 0-89555-536-0

Phÿltêr
2004-05-02 10:10:59 EST
The Nolalu Barn Owl <gordy@nolalu.on.ca> astounded us with:
news:act990hmou078vdvnhf5og2ng9qtttfs3e@4ax.com:

> On 2 May 2004 04:56:09 -0700, Jabriol@excite.com (JaBrIoL) wrote:
>
>>Expedition to search for Noah's Ark
>> Monday, April 26, 2004 Posted: 4:40 PM EDT (2040 GMT)
>>
>>
>>
>> Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock- The Trinity
>>Corporation, hopes an expedition this summer will uncover Noah's Ark.
>> WASHINGTON (AP) -- An expedition is being planned for this summer to
>>the upper reaches of Turkey's Mount Ararat where organizers hope to
>>prove an object nestled amid the snow and ice is Noah's Ark.
>>
>> A joint U.S.-Turkish team of 10 explorers plans to make the arduous
>>trek up Turkey's tallest mountain, at 17,820 feet, from July 15 to
>>August 15, subject to the approval of the Turkish government, said
>>Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock- The Trinity Corporation of
>>Honolulu, Hawaii.
>>
>> The goal: to enter what they believe to be a mammoth structure some
>>45 feet high, 75 feet wide and up to 450 feet long that was exposed in
>>part by last summer's heat wave in Europe.
>>
>> "We are not excavating it. We are not taking any artifacts. We're
>>going to photograph it and, God willing, you're all going to see it,"
>>McGivern said.
>>
>> Explorers have long searched for an ark on the high slopes of Mount
>>Ararat, where the biblical account of the Great Flood places it.
>>
>> In 1957, Turkish air force pilots spotted a boat-shaped formation in
>>Agri province. The government did not pursue the sighting, however. The
>>entire area, including Mount Ararat, was off limits to foreigners
>>because of Soviet complaints that explorers were U.S. spies.
>>
>> That ban was lifted in 1982, and since then teams of explorers have
>>visited the area but have been unable to substantiate any claim of an
>>ark.
>>
>> McGivern and Ahmet Ali Arslan, a Turkish mountain climber who grew up
>>in a town near Mount Ararat, say satellite photos have helped them
>>pinpoint a more exact location. Arslan will be leading the expedition.
>>
>> The biblical account in the Book of Genesis says that after the great
>>deluge, the ark came to rest on the mountain with Noah's family and a
>>cargo of male and female pairs of every kind of animal.
>>
>> Geologists say even though there is evidence of a flood in
>>Mesopotamia in Sumerian times, it is not possible for a ship to make
>>landfall at an altitude as high as Mount Ararat.
>
>
> Somtimes I think that God keeps these thing deliberately just out of
> reach. He wants us to act on faith and be blessed because of it (John
> 20:29).

Yeah, right...


--
Ph\ufffdlt\ufffdr
Denizen of Darkness #44 & AFJC Antipodean Attach\ufffd
http://afjc.clickhalah.com/forum/index.php
Change "freeway" to "hotmail" to respond

Turk
2004-05-02 11:21:57 EST
"JaBrIoL" <Jabriol@excite.com> wrote in message
news:d222de3e.0405020356.6562f53a@posting.google.com...
> Expedition to search for Noah's Ark
> Monday, April 26, 2004 Posted: 4:40 PM EDT (2040 GMT)
>
>
>
> Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock- The Trinity
> Corporation, hopes an expedition this summer will uncover Noah's Ark.
> WASHINGTON (AP) -- An expedition is being planned for this summer to
> the upper reaches of Turkey's Mount Ararat where organizers hope to
> prove an object nestled amid the snow and ice is Noah's Ark.
>

They'll bring back a rotten 2x4 and proclaim "Behold, God exists!!!". Count
on it.

turk



JaBrIoL
2004-05-02 19:27:16 EST
FlamingoMike <mike.ellen@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<DT8lc.6098$Mt5.3207@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>...
> The Nolalu Barn Owl wrote:
> > On 2 May 2004 04:56:09 -0700, Jabriol@excite.com (JaBrIoL) wrote:
>
> Snippage of some CNN story
>
> >> Geologists say even though there is evidence of a flood in
> >>Mesopotamia in Sumerian times, it is not possible for a ship to make landfall at
> >>an altitude as high as Mount Ararat.
> >
> >
> >
> > Somtimes I think that God keeps these thing deliberately just out of
> > reach. He wants us to act on faith and be blessed because of it (John
> > 20:29).
> > --
> > Gordie
>
> So this means the less one knows the more blessed one is? Or do you
> think god keeps things "deliberately" outta reach because these
> things do not exist? Maybe if they're not there it's because they
> weren't there in the first place. Presto-Chango god, _El Magico_.
>
> That's something I'd like to see: a heads up god vs. the Amazing
> Randi.
>
>

that easy, tell him Uri Geller is Gabriel. :-)

Bogie
2004-05-03 01:03:21 EST

"The Nolalu Barn Owl" <gordy@nolalu.on.ca> wrote in message
news:act990hmou078vdvnhf5og2ng9qtttfs3e@4ax.com...
> On 2 May 2004 04:56:09 -0700, Jabriol@excite.com (JaBrIoL) wrote:
>
<snipperoonie>

> Somtimes I think that God keeps these thing deliberately just out of
> reach. He wants us to act on faith and be blessed because of it (John
> 20:29).
> --
> Gordie


Oh please.... and what will you say if this expedition finds something of
substance? What happens to your "faith" then, when it's not needed any
more? I predict that there will be a bunch of "see, we told you so"
happening if these treasure hunters find what they're looking for. But that
will be a heretical contradiction of "we walk by faith and not by sight."
What will you do then?

But what will happen if they don't find what you hope they'll find? Some
more horse shit about faith and "just out of reach".

And speaking of "just out of reach".....how cruel is that? The one thing
that would convince so many millions of agnostics, skeptics and atheists is
*proof*. This very thing would instrumental in "saving" those untold
millions. But this gawd of yours "keeps these thing(s) deliberately just
out of reach." Nice!

This is the very thing which continues to drive me away from xtianity. When
I was a xtian, I begged for this god to show up. I didn't want magic tricks
or anything. I just wanted this so-called "father" to come to me like my
real father would come to my side when I was afraid at night. To be honest,
now as an agnostic, I still hold out hope now and then....asking this
"father" to come to me and comfort me in my "darkness". But does he show
up? Nope. Nothing. Things were especially frightening during my "crisis
of faith" which lasted for 3 years. 3 years of crying out to this
"father"!!!! And just like a child would eventually give up on his real
father who never answered his cries, I have pretty much given up that gawd
or Jeezus will come to me. I would never be so cruel to my own children.
My father, emotionally distant though he sometimes was, was never so cruel
to me.

Thomas, the famous doubting apostle, asked for no more than I have asked.
Thomas, who walked with Jeezus for - what? - 3 years. He should have known
better than to ask for the proof he asked for. Holy crap! He'd befriended
the man personally, heard the "prophecies", seen the "miracles". And he
still had the balls to ask for proof? The dude wanted hard evidence. And
guess what. He got it; only 3(?) days after his master's death. Now, more
than 2000 years later, millions of people who need that proof far more than
Thomas needed it, ask for proof......and we get silence from your gawd, plus
a lot of hatred and stupidity from you and your ilk.

"God keeps these thing(s) deliberately out of reach...."? In other words:

God made me
Therefore God knows I need evidence
He even knows the kind of evidence I need
But God dangles that evidence just out of reach
(even though he has given evidence to others who needed it far less)
Therefore, I am condemned to "hell" because God is toying with me.

Nice...... keep your gawd. He's a bastard.

bogie



Linda
2004-05-03 07:15:47 EST

"turk" <turk96@_*&^%#^&cast.net> wrote in message
news:pm8lc.11234$TD4.1259468@attbi_s01...
> "JaBrIoL" <Jabriol@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:d222de3e.0405020356.6562f53a@posting.google.com...
> > Expedition to search for Noah's Ark
> > Monday, April 26, 2004 Posted: 4:40 PM EDT (2040 GMT)
> >
> >
> >
> > Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock- The Trinity
> > Corporation, hopes an expedition this summer will uncover Noah's Ark.
> > WASHINGTON (AP) -- An expedition is being planned for this summer to
> > the upper reaches of Turkey's Mount Ararat where organizers hope to
> > prove an object nestled amid the snow and ice is Noah's Ark.
> >
>
> They'll bring back a rotten 2x4 and proclaim "Behold, God exists!!!".
Count
> on it.
>
> turk
>
>
Not if they're looking on the typical west and south west side of "The
Ararat" they won't find a thing....The thing they constantly get duped into
"I think I saw it" red herring is a rocky crag outcrop on the south western
side...........always. This Mountain is A Rock Crag, one gigantic Volcanic
Plug! No trees or wood up there at all. Beside, 45000 YO wood covered in Tar
would certainly be 'Petrified' by now.



Phÿltêr
2004-05-03 09:58:32 EST
"bogie" <neverassumeyouknow@yahoo.com> astounded us with:
news:toklc.11353$Gq1.7924@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

>
> "The Nolalu Barn Owl" <gordy@nolalu.on.ca> wrote in message
> news:act990hmou078vdvnhf5og2ng9qtttfs3e@4ax.com...
>> On 2 May 2004 04:56:09 -0700, Jabriol@excite.com (JaBrIoL) wrote:
>>
> <snipperoonie>
>
>> Somtimes I think that God keeps these thing deliberately just out of
>> reach. He wants us to act on faith and be blessed because of it (John
>> 20:29).
>> --
>> Gordie
>
>
> Oh please.... and what will you say if this expedition finds something
> of substance? What happens to your "faith" then, when it's not needed
> any more? I predict that there will be a bunch of "see, we told you so"
> happening if these treasure hunters find what they're looking for. But
> that will be a heretical contradiction of "we walk by faith and not by
> sight." What will you do then?
>
> But what will happen if they don't find what you hope they'll find?
> Some more horse shit about faith and "just out of reach".
>
> And speaking of "just out of reach".....how cruel is that? The one
> thing that would convince so many millions of agnostics, skeptics and
> atheists is *proof*. This very thing would instrumental in "saving"
> those untold millions. But this gawd of yours "keeps these thing(s)
> deliberately just out of reach." Nice!
>
> This is the very thing which continues to drive me away from xtianity.
> When I was a xtian, I begged for this god to show up. I didn't want
> magic tricks or anything. I just wanted this so-called "father" to come
> to me like my real father would come to my side when I was afraid at
> night. To be honest, now as an agnostic, I still hold out hope now and
> then....asking this "father" to come to me and comfort me in my
> "darkness". But does he show up? Nope. Nothing. Things were
> especially frightening during my "crisis of faith" which lasted for 3
> years. 3 years of crying out to this "father"!!!! And just like a
> child would eventually give up on his real father who never answered his
> cries, I have pretty much given up that gawd or Jeezus will come to me.
> I would never be so cruel to my own children. My father, emotionally
> distant though he sometimes was, was never so cruel to me.
>
> Thomas, the famous doubting apostle, asked for no more than I have
> asked. Thomas, who walked with Jeezus for - what? - 3 years. He should
> have known better than to ask for the proof he asked for. Holy crap!
> He'd befriended the man personally, heard the "prophecies", seen the
> "miracles". And he still had the balls to ask for proof? The dude
> wanted hard evidence. And guess what. He got it; only 3(?) days after
> his master's death. Now, more than 2000 years later, millions of people
> who need that proof far more than Thomas needed it, ask for
> proof......and we get silence from your gawd, plus a lot of hatred and
> stupidity from you and your ilk.
>
> "God keeps these thing(s) deliberately out of reach...."? In other
> words:
>
> God made me
> Therefore God knows I need evidence
> He even knows the kind of evidence I need
> But God dangles that evidence just out of reach
> (even though he has given evidence to others who needed it far less)
> Therefore, I am condemned to "hell" because God is toying with me.
>
> Nice...... keep your gawd. He's a bastard.
>
> bogie
>
>
>

Yep, nicely wrapped up.
Cheers Bogie!

--
Ph\ufffdlt\ufffdr
Denizen of Darkness #44 & AFJC Antipodean Attach\ufffd
http://afjc.clickhalah.com/forum/index.php
Change "freeway" to "hotmail" to respond

M Merced
2004-05-05 00:54:48 EST

"Linda" <Linda@ohgimmeabreak.com.au> wrote in message
news:1083583392.258544@kangaroo.ozonline.com.au...
>
> "turk" <turk96@_*&^%#^&cast.net> wrote in message
> news:pm8lc.11234$TD4.1259468@attbi_s01...
> > "JaBrIoL" <Jabriol@excite.com> wrote in message
> > news:d222de3e.0405020356.6562f53a@posting.google.com...
> > > Expedition to search for Noah's Ark
> > > Monday, April 26, 2004 Posted: 4:40 PM EDT (2040 GMT)
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock- The Trinity
> > > Corporation, hopes an expedition this summer will uncover Noah's Ark.
> > > WASHINGTON (AP) -- An expedition is being planned for this summer to
> > > the upper reaches of Turkey's Mount Ararat where organizers hope to
> > > prove an object nestled amid the snow and ice is Noah's Ark.
> > >
> >
> > They'll bring back a rotten 2x4 and proclaim "Behold, God exists!!!".
> Count
> > on it.
> >
> > turk
> >
> >
> Not if they're looking on the typical west and south west side of "The
> Ararat" they won't find a thing....The thing they constantly get duped
into
> "I think I saw it" red herring is a rocky crag outcrop on the south
western
> side...........always. This Mountain is A Rock Crag, one gigantic
Volcanic
> Plug! No trees or wood up there at all. Beside, 45000 YO wood covered in
Tar
> would certainly be 'Petrified' by now.

Wouldn't it be funny if they find the wrong giant boat, and it proved the
Gilgamesh story instead? Marduk rules!
>
>



Gonna Danse
2004-05-05 01:31:42 EST

"M Merced" <moldies@att.net> wrote in message
news:ss_lc.37093$Xj6.631864@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
> Wouldn't it be funny if they find the wrong giant boat, and it proved the
> Gilgamesh story instead? Marduk rules!
=============================
That just may happen. :-) Have you ever asked a fundy about the Epic of
Gilgamish? They deny the Noah story is based on this ancient story of
another flood, another family and boat. The stories are so alike. What a
hoot! {@()@}
--
PQ....
"We look at the ancient Greeks with their gods on a mountain top throwing
lightning bolts and say, 'Those ancient Greeks. They were so silly. So
primitive
and naive. Not like our religions. We have burning bushes talking to people
and
guys walking on water. We're ...sophisticated.'"
-= Paul Provenza =-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron