Bible Discussion: Was Jesus Crucified On A Friday?

Was Jesus Crucified On A Friday?

Allan Svensson
2004-04-08 00:39:17 EST

Was Jesus crucified on a Friday?

Some Pharisees and teachers of the law said to Jesus, "Teacher,
we want to see a miraculous sign from you." He answered,
"A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign!
But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a
huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights
in the heart of the earth ..." Matt.12:39.

If Jesus was laid in the grave at the sunset on the Friday and him
risen at the sunrise on the Sunday, it is only one day and two nights,
or 36 hours. But Jesus said three days and three nights, it is 72
hours. If we count 72 hours back from the sunrise on the Sunday,
then we come to the sunrise on the Thursday. This is neither right,
for in Matt. 27:57-60 and in Mark. 15:42 we see that the body of
Jesus was laid in the grave at the sunset.

We must still count 12 hours back, and we come to Wednesday
sunset. Could it have possibly been on a Wednesday, just before
sunset that Jesus was crucified? Yet, according to Mark. 15:42,
it was the day before the Sabbath. Could the Thursday have been
a Sabbath? Yes, Thursday was a Sabbath!

This is the very fact that has confused people. A fact that has
completely been overlooked because Christians have lost sight of
the meaning of the sacred feast days and what they really typified.
This Sabbath holds the key to the whole mystery!

We can read in John 19:31 that the Sabbath was a High day.
This, the annual Sabbath, they always celebrated on the 15th day
of the Jewish month of Abib (Nisan), irrespective of which day of
the week this occurred. It had nothing to do with the creation
Sabbath which is a weekly Sabbath. It could be two Sabbath days
on the same week. The Passover day they celebrated the 14th Abib,
and next day was a Sabbath. You can read this in Exodus 12:1-14.
Leviticus 23:5. Numbers 9:1-5, 28:16-18. Deuteronomy 16:1.

This Sabbath was instituted at the first Passover in Egypt. It was seven
Sabbaths that they celebrated once in the year (Leviticus 23:15, 24, 27,
34 and 39), which could occur on any day of the week.

The Passover lamb would be slaughtered on the 14th day, at the sunset
of the Passover day. "And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of
the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel
shall kill it in the evening." "And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins
girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall
eat it in haste: it is the LORD's passover." Exodus 12:6, 11.

When God was so strictly that the Passover lamb was slaughtered at the
certain time, then he ought to be still more strictly that the real Passover
Lamb, Jesus Christ, was sacrificed at the exact time. Jesus was crucified
at the exact time of the year and that is why He IS our Passover Lamb!
If Jesus had been crucified on the Friday, then he had come two days
too later with his sacrifice.

Consider please, the tremendous importance of this SIGN OF JONAH.
Jesus proved that he is the true Messiah through fulfilling the sign of
Jonah. His body was in the grave THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS.
If we count from the sunset on the Wednesday and 72 hours ahead, then
we come to the sunset of Saturday. Then Jesus had fulfilled the sign of
Jonah, and proved that he is the true Messiah. Accordingly, Jesus could
have resurrected already in the Saturday evening. The Bible does not say
what time Jesus resurrected, but early at the sunrise when the women
came to the grave he was risen. Mark. 16:2, Luke 24:1.

Jonah was a "type" of the Saviour to come. After 3 days and 3 nights in
the belly of the fish, he became the 'saviour' of the gentile city, Nineveh.
By referring to Jonah as a sign, Jesus was pointing out to us that Jonah
was a "type" of the Saviour who would come for the whole world. If the
Jews took the trouble to look up the scriptural reference, then they would
have believed Jesus to be the Saviour, the promised Messiah. If you study
the Bible careful, you cannot deny that Jesus was in the grave all the 72
hours he had foretold.

Learned theologians and church leaders do not study the Bible. They do
not know what the Bible teaches, for they do not read it, but follow
doctrines and traditions of man. They believe that Jesus was crucified
on a Friday, and Good Friday has been celebrated. Satan exploits this
ignorance, and the celebrating of Good Friday as a memory of the
crucifixion. He uses it as "a proof" that Jesus did not fulfil the sign of
Jonah. "He was in the grave only the half time."

Nowhere in the Bible can we read that Jesus was crucified on a Friday.
Jesus warns against "making the Word of God of none effect through
your tradition" (Mark 7:13). We shall be guided by the Bible, not by
tradition.

The chief priests and the elders had the courage to invent a lie! For a
large sum of money the soldiers were bribed into saying that the disciples
had stolen His Body from the grave! "The soldiers took the money and
carried out their instructions, and to this day that is the story among the
Jews" (Matt. 28:12-15).

Do you want to read the continuation of this article
or if you have any questions
Please, visit my Web Site

http://www.algonet.se/~allan-sv/INDEX.HTM

Libertarius
2004-04-08 11:24:34 EST

Allan Svensson wrote:

> Was Jesus crucified on a Friday?
>
> Some Pharisees and teachers of the law said to Jesus, "Teacher,
> we want to see a miraculous sign from you." He answered,
> "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign!
> But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
> For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a
> huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights
> in the heart of the earth ..." Matt.12:39.
>
> If Jesus was laid in the grave at the sunset on the Friday and him
> risen at the sunrise on the Sunday, it is only one day and two nights,
> or 36 hours. But Jesus said three days and three nights, it is 72
> hours.

===>So, whoever wrote that Jesus said that, was wrong.
So, what?

Where does any of the writers cite any eye-witness testimony
of anyone who actually saw him "rise"????
Except for MARK, whose story was doctored with at least two
different endings to match the other Gospels,
they all tell stories about people having seen
him alive and in the flesh, even eating and drinking with the
disciples after the crucifixion.
The Pauline idea of "resurrection" is one of transformation
into some sort of "spirit" body, which the Gospels
directly deny!
(SEE: Luke 24:39
"See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself;
touch Me and see,
for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.")

-- L.

Rick
2004-04-08 11:37:39 EST
Jesus rose ON the third day, not AFTER 3 days.

Day 1 Friday
day 2 Saturday (the sabbath)
day 3 Sunday.
"Allan Svensson" <allan-sv@algonet.se> wrote in message

> [...]
> ignorance, and the celebrating of Good Friday as a memory of the
> crucifixion. He uses it as "a proof" that Jesus did not fulfil the sign of
> Jonah. "He was in the grave only the half time."
>
> Nowhere in the Bible can we read that Jesus was crucified on a Friday.
> Jesus warns against "making the Word of God of none effect through
> your tradition" (Mark 7:13). We shall be guided by the Bible, not by
> tradition.
>
> The chief priests and the elders had the courage to invent a lie! For a
> large sum of money the soldiers were bribed into saying that the disciples
> had stolen His Body from the grave! "The soldiers took the money and
> carried out their instructions, and to this day that is the story among
the
> Jews" (Matt. 28:12-15).
>

> Do you want to read the continuation of this article

2004-04-08 16:46:00 EST

Rick wrote:

> Jesus rose ON the third day, not AFTER 3 days.
>
> Day 1 Friday
> day 2 Saturday (the sabbath)
> day 3 Sunday.
> "Allan Svensson" <allan-sv@algonet.se> wrote in message

===>Do you ever read your Bible?
Do you know how to count?
Where do you see "three days and three nights"???
1. Friday night (beginning of the Sabbath) & Saturday - DAY 1.
2. Saturday night (first half od Sunday) - DAY 2,
but it only adds up to a DAY AND A HALF!
Even if you count Friday afternoon, it is no more than two days!

Matthew 27:63
Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said,
while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mark 8:31
And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things,
and be rejected of the elders, and [of] the chief priests, and scribes,
and be killed,
and after three days rise again.
AND:
"Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was
three days and three nights
in the whale's belly;
so shall the Son of man be
three days and three nights
in the heart of the earth."

Rgeorge
2004-04-08 19:11:07 EST

> [...]
> ignorance, and the celebrating of Good Friday as a memory of the
> crucifixion. He uses it as "a proof" that Jesus did not fulfil the sign of
> Jonah. "He was in the grave only the half time."
>
> Nowhere in the Bible can we read that Jesus was crucified on a Friday.
> Jesus warns against "making the Word of God of none effect through
> your tradition" (Mark 7:13). We shall be guided by the Bible, not by
> tradition.
>
> The chief priests and the elders had the courage to invent a lie! For a
> large sum of money the soldiers were bribed into saying that the disciples
> had stolen His Body from the grave! "The soldiers took the money and
> carried out their instructions, and to this day that is the story among
the
> Jews" (Matt. 28:12-15).
>

> Do you want to read the continuation of this article

The Passover-the day Jesus died-always fell on the 14th day of the Jewish
month Nisan.

For the Jews, a day started at about six o'clock in the evening and ran
until the same time the following day. Jesus died on Nisan 14, 33 C.E.,
which ran from Thursday evening to Friday evening. He was resurrected on the
third day, early Sunday morning.

Rick
2004-04-09 03:12:12 EST
As I have already stated, it was ON THE THIRD DAY, not AFTER THREE DAYS.

He Jesus died at approximately 3pm (Friday afternoon)
He was placed in the grave before sunset on Friday afternoon. (the first day
of his death)
He rested in the grave from Sunset friday to at least sunset saturday.
He rose from the dead some time between Sunset Saturday and sunrise on
sunday (ON the third day after his death)

If Jesus had risen AFTER 3 days, he would not have made his presence felt
until approximately 3 pm on Sunday, which is still ON the third day after
his death
"Libertarius" <Libertarius@Nothing_But_The.Truth> wrote in message

> Rick wrote:
>
> > Jesus rose ON the third day, not AFTER 3 days.
> >
> > Day 1 Friday
> > day 2 Saturday (the sabbath)
> > day 3 Sunday.
> > "Allan Svensson" <allan-sv@algonet.se> wrote in message
> >

> ===>Do you ever read your Bible?
> Do you know how to count?
> Where do you see "three days and three nights"???
> 1. Friday night (beginning of the Sabbath) & Saturday - DAY 1.
> 2. Saturday night (first half od Sunday) - DAY 2,
> but it only adds up to a DAY AND A HALF!
> Even if you count Friday afternoon, it is no more than two days!
>
> Matthew 27:63
> Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said,
> while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
> Mark 8:31
> And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things,
> and be rejected of the elders, and [of] the chief priests, and scribes,
> and be killed,
> and after three days rise again.
> AND:
> "Matthew 12:40
> For as Jonas was
> three days and three nights
> in the whale's belly;
> so shall the Son of man be
> three days and three nights
> in the heart of the earth."

Libertarius
2004-04-09 12:30:44 EST

Rick wrote:

> As I have already stated, it was ON THE THIRD DAY, not AFTER THREE DAYS.

===>Then your BIBLE is wrong.
It says exactly the words: AFTER THREE DAYS
META TREIS HEMERAS!
Matthew 27:63
Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said,
while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mark 8:31
And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things,
and be rejected of the elders, and [of] the chief priests, and scribes,
and be killed,
and after three days (META TREIS HEMERAS) rise again.

> He Jesus died at approximately 3pm (Friday afternoon)
> He was placed in the grave before sunset on Friday afternoon. (the first day
> of his death)
> He rested in the grave from Sunset friday to at least sunset saturday.
> He rose from the dead some time between Sunset Saturday and sunrise on
> sunday (ON the third day after his death)
>
> If Jesus had risen AFTER 3 days, he would not have made his presence felt
> until approximately 3 pm on Sunday, which is still ON the third day after
> his death

===>But META TREIS HEMERAS means *AFTER* three days!

Dore
2004-04-20 21:16:15 EST

> Allan Svensson wrote:
>
> > Was Jesus crucified on a Friday?
> >
> > Some Pharisees and teachers of the law said to Jesus, "Teacher,
> > we want to see a miraculous sign from you." He answered,
> > "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign!
> > But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
> > For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a
> > huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights
> > in the heart of the earth ..." Matt.12:39.
> >
> > If Jesus was laid in the grave at the sunset on the Friday and him
> > risen at the sunrise on the Sunday, it is only one day and two nights,
> > or 36 hours. But Jesus said three days and three nights, it is 72
> > hours.

This prophecy had absolutely NOTHING to do with the crucifixion and time
thereafter, it was a prophecy for the second coming. Obviously, Christ told
the thief on the cross that He was going to PARADISE, NOT to the heart of
the earth.

--
Dore

www.dorewilliamson.com