Bible Discussion: Does God Tempt? Did He Tempt The Woman In Texas Who Recently Killed Her Children After Reading The Bible?

Does God Tempt? Did He Tempt The Woman In Texas Who Recently Killed Her Children After Reading The Bible?

Michael
2004-04-03 06:57:27 EST
You can read the story on CNN if you haven't already heard it:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/03/31/children.slain.ap/index.html

Interesting this is quote:

"On Thursday, Laney's older sister said Laney was eating less, losing weight
and reading the Bible more in the weeks before admitted killing her two
older sons and severely injuring her toddler."

Could it be the woman read the following verses:

Hosea 13
http://tinyurl.com/yscss

16The people of Samaria must bear the consequences of their guilt because
they rebelled against their God. They will be killed by an invading army,
their little ones dashed to death against the ground, their pregnant women
ripped open by swords." (NLT)

Psalm 137
http://tinyurl.com/2ozot

8 O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us-
9 he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

This wouldn't be the first time God told a a parent to kill his/her
children. In Genesis 22:1-2 we read that God commanded Abraham to sacrifice
his son Isaac:

http://tinyurl.com/29wac

Can we honestly believe that God would tell a someone to kill their
children? In James 1:13 we read:

http://tinyurl.com/3656d

"13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be
tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; "

That sounds pretty clear, but we have a very strong and obvious
contradiction in the Bible: How could God tempt Abraham if God cannot does
not tempt anyone? And why are women killing their children because "God
told them to"?

For more information on the Bible, it's contradictions, and why it can't
possibly be true, see: http://tinyurl.com/258t8

Michael

Pastor Dave
2004-04-03 07:21:20 EST
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:57:27 +0200, "Michael"
<please_do_not_reply@hotmail.com> spake thusly:

>You can read the story on CNN if you haven't already heard it:
>
>http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/03/31/children.slain.ap/index.html
>
>Interesting this is quote:
>
>"On Thursday, Laney's older sister said Laney was eating less, losing weight
>and reading the Bible more in the weeks before admitted killing her two
>older sons and severely injuring her toddler."
>
>Could it be the woman read the following verses:
>
>Hosea 13
>http://tinyurl.com/yscss
>
>16The people of Samaria must bear the consequences of their guilt because
>they rebelled against their God. They will be killed by an invading army,
>their little ones dashed to death against the ground, their pregnant women
>ripped open by swords." (NLT)
>
>Psalm 137
>http://tinyurl.com/2ozot
>
>8 O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
>happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us-
>9 he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.
>
>This wouldn't be the first time God told a a parent to kill his/her
>children. In Genesis 22:1-2 we read that God commanded Abraham to sacrifice
>his son Isaac:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/29wac

People read things and act on what they think the text
says all the time. Does that mean that your out of
context quotes are saying that they should do it, or
that their mental illness tells them to do it?

>Can we honestly believe that God would tell a someone to kill their
>children? In James 1:13 we read:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/3656d
>
>"13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be
>tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; "
>
>That sounds pretty clear, but we have a very strong and obvious
>contradiction in the Bible: How could God tempt Abraham if God cannot does
>not tempt anyone? And why are women killing their children because "God
>told them to"?
>
>For more information on the Bible, it's contradictions, and why it can't
>possibly be true, see: http://tinyurl.com/258t8
>
>Michael

Now you've made a claim of contradictions. Now I
demand that you back it up. Not with web pages, put up
by atheists, who did no more research than you did and
take Scripture out of context on a regular basis.

I want YOU to back up YOUR claim, in YOUR OWN words,
right HERE.

Are you up for the challenge?

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"If the solar system was brought about by an accidental
collision, then the appearance of organic life on this
planet was also an accident and the whole evolution of
man was an accident too. If so, then all our thought
processes are mere accidents - the accidental
by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds
for the materialists' and astronomers' as well as for
anyone else's. But if their thoughts - i.e., of
materialism and astronomy - are merely accidental
by-products, why should we believe them to be true?
I see no reason for believing that one accident
should be able to give a correct account of all
the other accidents." - C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock

Michael
2004-04-03 17:57:20 EST
> I want YOU to back up YOUR claim, in YOUR OWN words,
> right HERE.
>
> Are you up for the challenge?

Yes, but I don't see the challenge. In Genesis we read how God tempted
Abraham and in James we read how God can't tempt anyone. In logic sense:

Let A = God tempted

Let B = God can't tempt

It's obvious A & B are completely opposite, and therefore at least one must
be false, which leads to C below:

Let C = Either Genesis or James is false

Let D = The Bible is the inerrent word of God and is the perfect truth

It's obvious that C & D are completely opposite, therefore at least one must
be false. We also know that C is true, which means D is false. Therefore:

The Bible is NOT the inerrent word of God and is NOT the perfect truth.

There are tons of contradictions in the Bible, this is just another one.
There is no logic in the Bible, because it is a collection of made-up
stories accumulated over hundreds of years by ancient men. I just wish
Christians would think for themselves for once instead of repeating what
they were brainwashed into believing.

Michael

Philip Giddings
2004-04-03 23:27:36 EST

> Yes, but I don't see the challenge. In Genesis we read how God tempted
> Abraham and in James we read how God can't tempt anyone. In logic sense:

Please post the verse where you "read" that God tempted Abraham. He
TOLD Abraham to kill his son. He didn't tempt him. Telling someone
to do something is not the same as tempting them.

> There are tons of contradictions in the Bible, this is just another one.

There are no contradictions in the Bible. God loved you then and he
loves you now.

> There is no logic in the Bible, because it is a collection of made-up
> stories accumulated over hundreds of years by ancient men.

The libraries of the world today have many collections of made up
stories from ancient men. We study a lot of them in literature
classes. Fortunately the Bible is not fiction. We can be sure of
that because of the very real and tangible results in our lives when
we form a relationship with Jesus.

> I just wish
> Christians would think for themselves for once instead of repeating what
> they were brainwashed into believing.

Take Mathematics for example. You and I were both brainwashed into
believing that 2+2 equaled 4. We accepted that as true without asking
questions. Is that healthy? absolutely not. We should ask questions.
And when we do seek to find out our own mathematical truths we
realize that the teachers were right when they taught us 2+2=4.

Learning should always go hand in hand with questioning and thinking
for yourself. The fact that we still believe what the Bible today
doesn't mean we haven't questioned it in our lives. I question what I
read everyday. Seek guidance from the Lord before you open the Bible
and the truths will come out clearly.

I Love You

Dore
2004-04-03 23:56:00 EST
"Michael" <please_do_not_reply@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> This wouldn't be the first time God told a a parent to kill his/her
> children. In Genesis 22:1-2 we read that God commanded Abraham to
sacrifice
> his son Isaac:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/29wac
>
> Can we honestly believe that God would tell a someone to kill their
> children? In James 1:13 we read:

The difference is, that Abraham DID NOT kill his son, for God sent an angel
to prevent it. So since, there was NO intervention by God, then GOD did NOT
tell those people who succeed, to perform the act, SATAN did.

cont
> That sounds pretty clear, but we have a very strong and obvious
> contradiction in the Bible: How could God tempt Abraham if God cannot
does
> not tempt anyone? And why are women killing their children because "God
> told them to"?

God didn't TEMPT Abraham, He told him outright what he was supposed to do.
And I will tell you WHY he did. Since Abraham was a servant of God, who
LOVED Isaac above all else, God wanted to test Abraham loyalty to HIM, so He
told Abraham to sacrifice his son, to see if Abraham would be willing to
sacrifice the one he loved more than anything else, proving his LOVE for
GOD, and because Abraham PROVED that His loyalty to God was greater than
even his love for his son, GOD spared Isaac and blessed Abraham. People who
are killing their children or anyone today because they think God told them
to, is because it is SATAN tempting them, for he comes as an angel of light,
impersonating God, especially in these end times, of very evil days. When
someone hears a voice from the spiritual realm, they immediately THINK it is
GOD, but it is not, for SATAN speaks louder and first from the spiritual
realm and that is why he is the son of the morning, because upon awakening
from sleep is when his voice is heard the most.

cont
> For more information on the Bible, it's contradictions, and why it can't
> possibly be true, see: http://tinyurl.com/258t8

Obviously, you don't know how to interpret the Bible, nor can you comprehend
it's truths and meanings, nor have any knowledge, wisdom or truths of
spiritual things, because your interpretations, as in this case, is NOT
contradiction, but your twist and distortion of Biblical events because you
are evil, ungodly and in darkness.
--
Dore

www.dorewilliamson.com

"Michael" <please_do_not_reply@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You can read the story on CNN if you haven't already heard it:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/03/31/children.slain.ap/index.html
>
> Interesting this is quote:
>
> "On Thursday, Laney's older sister said Laney was eating less, losing
weight
> and reading the Bible more in the weeks before admitted killing her two
> older sons and severely injuring her toddler."
>
> Could it be the woman read the following verses:
>
> Hosea 13
> http://tinyurl.com/yscss
>
> 16The people of Samaria must bear the consequences of their guilt because
> they rebelled against their God. They will be killed by an invading army,
> their little ones dashed to death against the ground, their pregnant women
> ripped open by swords." (NLT)
>
> Psalm 137
> http://tinyurl.com/2ozot
>
> 8 O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
> happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us-
> 9 he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.
>
> This wouldn't be the first time God told a a parent to kill his/her
> children. In Genesis 22:1-2 we read that God commanded Abraham to
sacrifice
> his son Isaac:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/29wac
>
> Can we honestly believe that God would tell a someone to kill their
> children? In James 1:13 we read:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3656d
>
> "13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot
be
> tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; "
>
> That sounds pretty clear, but we have a very strong and obvious
> contradiction in the Bible: How could God tempt Abraham if God cannot
does
> not tempt anyone? And why are women killing their children because "God
> told them to"?
>
> For more information on the Bible, it's contradictions, and why it can't
> possibly be true, see: http://tinyurl.com/258t8
>
> Michael

Michael
2004-04-04 03:40:46 EST
> The libraries of the world today have many collections of made up
> stories from ancient men. We study a lot of them in literature
> classes. Fortunately the Bible is not fiction. We can be sure of
> that because of the very real and tangible results in our lives when
> we form a relationship with Jesus.

The only "Jesus" is inside us, and the results we see are the results of
forming a relationship with our inner beings. Why are Christians so humble
that they can't take credit for something good in their lives? It's always
"God gave me" or "God helped me" or "God pulled me through". Why is it
impossible that "I earned this" or "I did this" or "I made it through". I
can prove that it's possible to accomplish and have without God, look at all
the accomplished athiests!

> Take Mathematics for example. You and I were both brainwashed into
> believing that 2+2 equaled 4. We accepted that as true without asking
> questions. Is that healthy? absolutely not. We should ask questions.
> And when we do seek to find out our own mathematical truths we
> realize that the teachers were right when they taught us 2+2=4.

No, we're taught how to prove it as children when we count on our fingers.

> Learning should always go hand in hand with questioning and thinking
> for yourself. The fact that we still believe what the Bible today
> doesn't mean we haven't questioned it in our lives. I question what I
> read everyday. Seek guidance from the Lord before you open the Bible
> and the truths will come out clearly.

Sorry, you're brainwashed man! I can't help you. But if you're happy that
way, I'm ok with it. Just don't force your beliefs on others.

Michael

Michael
2004-04-04 03:47:03 EST
> The difference is, that Abraham DID NOT kill his son, for God sent an
angel
> to prevent it. So since, there was NO intervention by God, then GOD did
NOT
> tell those people who succeed, to perform the act, SATAN did.

I could say that God tempted the woman in Texas who beat her children with
rocks, and that it wasn't Satan. God wanted to test her, but he got busy
and forgot to stop her just before she too the rock and smashed it into her
child's head.

> And I will tell you WHY he did. Since Abraham was a servant of God, who
> LOVED Isaac above all else, God wanted to test Abraham loyalty to HIM, so
He
> told Abraham to sacrifice his son, to see if Abraham would be willing to
> sacrifice the one he loved more than anything else, proving his LOVE for

Ok, think about what you're saying for a minute. I know it's hard because
you've been hearing these stories for years and years, but just for a
second, think about it objectively. If God is all powerful and all knowing,
then why does he have to test Abraham? He KNOWS what Abraham will do. To
say that God would have to test Abraham is saying that God is incapable of
knowing what Abraham is thinking and what Abraham will do. So either God is
all powerful or he is not. He can't be both, yet in the Bible we read how
he is both. NOT POSSIBLE!

> Obviously, you don't know how to interpret the Bible, nor can you
comprehend
> it's truths and meanings, nor have any knowledge, wisdom or truths of
> spiritual things, because your interpretations, as in this case, is NOT
> contradiction, but your twist and distortion of Biblical events because
you
> are evil, ungodly and in darkness.

I was brainwashed into the Christian thinking for most of my life. Recently
I started to actually read the Bible and I decided it didn't make sense. So
I started thinking on my own. That does not make me evil or in darkness. I
am for humanity, not for imposing religious beliefs on others or killing
people because they belief differently.

Michael

Pastor Dave
2004-04-04 14:18:22 EST
On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 00:57:20 +0200, "Michael"
<please_do_not_reply@hotmail.com> spake thusly:

>> I want YOU to back up YOUR claim, in YOUR OWN words,
>> right HERE.
>>
>> Are you up for the challenge?
>
>Yes, but I don't see the challenge.

You don't WANT to see the challenge.

>In Genesis we read how God tempted
>Abraham and in James we read how God can't tempt anyone. In logic sense:
>
>Let A = God tempted
>
>Let B = God can't tempt
>
>It's obvious A & B are completely opposite, and therefore at least one must
>be false, which leads to C below:
>
>Let C = Either Genesis or James is false
>
>Let D = The Bible is the inerrent word of God and is the perfect truth
>
>It's obvious that C & D are completely opposite, therefore at least one must
>be false. We also know that C is true, which means D is false. Therefore:
>
>The Bible is NOT the inerrent word of God and is NOT the perfect truth.
>
>There are tons of contradictions in the Bible, this is just another one.
>There is no logic in the Bible, because it is a collection of made-up
>stories accumulated over hundreds of years by ancient men. I just wish
>Christians would think for themselves for once instead of repeating what
>they were brainwashed into believing.

Once again, you have made a claim without backing it
up. Post the exact Scriptures in question.

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

http://www.trueorigin.org/abio.asp

Pastor Dave
2004-04-04 14:20:42 EST
On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 09:40:46 +0200, "Michael"
<please_do_not_reply@hotmail.com> spake thusly:

>> The libraries of the world today have many collections of made up
>> stories from ancient men. We study a lot of them in literature
>> classes. Fortunately the Bible is not fiction. We can be sure of
>> that because of the very real and tangible results in our lives when
>> we form a relationship with Jesus.
>
>The only "Jesus" is inside us, and the results we see are the results of
>forming a relationship with our inner beings. Why are Christians so humble
>that they can't take credit for something good in their lives?

"They are all gone out of the way, they are together
become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no,
not one." - Romans 3:12

>> Take Mathematics for example. You and I were both brainwashed into
>> believing that 2+2 equaled 4. We accepted that as true without asking
>> questions. Is that healthy? absolutely not. We should ask questions.
>> And when we do seek to find out our own mathematical truths we
>> realize that the teachers were right when they taught us 2+2=4.
>
>No, we're taught how to prove it as children when we count on our fingers.

Really? Prove it then. Prove that four is the right
number.

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"If life had evolved into its wondrous profusion of
creatures little by little, Dr. Eldredge argues, then
one would expect to find fossils of transitional
creatures which were a bit like what went before them
and a bit like what came after. But no one has yet
found any evidence of such transitional creatures.
This oddity has been attributed to gaps in the fossil
record which gradualists expected to fill when rock
strata of the proper age had been found. In the last
decade, however, geologists have found rock layers of
all divisions of the last 500 million years and no
transitional forms were contained in them." (The
Guardian Weekly, 26 Nov 1978, vol 119, no 22, p. 1)

Michael
2004-04-04 18:14:11 EST
> >> Take Mathematics for example. You and I were both brainwashed into
> >> believing that 2+2 equaled 4. We accepted that as true without asking
> >> questions. Is that healthy? absolutely not. We should ask questions.
> >> And when we do seek to find out our own mathematical truths we
> >> realize that the teachers were right when they taught us 2+2=4.
> >
> >No, we're taught how to prove it as children when we count on our
fingers.

> Really? Prove it then. Prove that four is the right
> number.

I think you are a troll.