Bible Discussion: The Religion Of Evolution

The Religion Of Evolution

IknowHimDoYou
2003-06-25 11:50:02 EST

The Religion of Evolution

"If you are an evolutionist, Darwin-not nature-dictates what you believe.
Evolutionists subordinate observational evidence to doctrine based on
their interpretation of the 'On the Origin of Species'. The tenets of
evolutionary maturalism are not testable, nor are they subject to dramatic
change based on new data. In other words, Evolutionism is a form of
religion."

Hazen & Trefil, "Science Matters" 1991(both authors are evolutionary
naturalists)

David Jensen
2003-06-25 12:04:20 EST
In alt.talk.creationism, IknowHim@leavingsoon.com (IknowHimDoYou) wrote
in <IknowHim-2506030850020001@pm4-14.kalama.com>:

> The Religion of Evolution
>
>"If you are an evolutionist, Darwin-not nature-dictates what you believe.
>Evolutionists subordinate observational evidence to doctrine based on
>their interpretation of the 'On the Origin of Species'. The tenets of
>evolutionary maturalism are not testable, nor are they subject to dramatic
>change based on new data. In other words, Evolutionism is a form of
>religion."
>
>Hazen & Trefil, "Science Matters" 1991(both authors are evolutionary
>naturalists)

Please provide the paragraphs that bracket this quote or the page on
which it is found.

As far as I can tell, you are being dishonest in your presentation of
the quote.

Elmer Bataitis
2003-06-25 14:30:00 EST
IknowHimDoYou wrote:

> "If you are an evolutionist, Darwin-not nature-dictates what you believe.

A more moronic statement I have never seen. Nature dictates evolution,
not Darwin.

Elmer Bataitis "Hot dog! Smooch city here I come!"
Planetech Services -Hobbes
585-442-2884
"Proudly wearing and displaying, as a badge of honor,
the straight jacket of conventional thought." - C.
Cagle

Matt Silberstein
2003-06-26 01:06:34 EST
In alt.religion.christianity I read this message from
I*m@leavingsoon.com (IknowHimDoYou):

> The Religion of Evolution
>
>"If you are an evolutionist, Darwin-not nature-dictates what you believe.
>Evolutionists subordinate observational evidence to doctrine based on
>their interpretation of the 'On the Origin of Species'. The tenets of
>evolutionary maturalism are not testable, nor are they subject to dramatic
>change based on new data. In other words, Evolutionism is a form of
>religion."
>
>Hazen & Trefil, "Science Matters" 1991(both authors are evolutionary
>naturalists)

What pages is this on? What is the sentence before and after
this? Did you read the original or just get this quote from
elsewhere?

--

Matt Silberstein TBC HRL OMM

We are not here to judge other people,
we are just here to be better than they are.

M*@thelastchurch.borg
2003-06-26 01:49:42 EST
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:50:02 -0700,
I*m@leavingsoon.com (IknowHimDoYou) wrote:
> The Religion of Evolution

Science is not a religion......

.

A preacher is the blind
leading the blind...

The Last Church
http://www.thelastchurch.org
m*l@thelastchurch.org

alt.religion.thelastchurch
alt.religion.the-last-church

Jamie
2004-03-04 23:35:30 EST
You posted an outright lie. The real quote from that book states the
OPPOSITE of what you posted. The words have actually been changed (see
below for the true quote). This is a poor way to represent our Christian
faith -- and an especially poor way to represent your Creationism cause.
I'll quote your post first, then follow with the truth at the bottom.

> The Religion of Evolution
>
> "If you are an evolutionist, Darwin-not nature-dictates what you
> believe. Evolutionists subordinate observational evidence to doctrine
> based on their interpretation of the 'On the Origin of Species'. The
> tenets of evolutionary maturalism are not testable, nor are they
> subject to dramatic change based on new data. In other words,
> Evolutionism is a form of religion."
>
> Hazen & Trefil, "Science Matters" 1991(both authors are evolutionary
> naturalists)

You may have found this "quotation" at the following web page, where a
Creationist purposely distorted and reversed a quote from a book he had
found "while browsing through the stacks at the local library." The
person who originally distorted the quote at least did it honestly,
citing the original text first, then suggesting that he'd prefer an
opposite statement.

Here's the text to which I'm referring:

<start of text copied from http://www.mphelsinki.net/t138034.html>

SCIENCE DOES MATTER! (by Frank Sherwin)

While browsing through the stacks at the local library, I came across
Science Matters, a book by two evolutionary naturalists.1 Chapter 17 is
entitled, "Evolution" and the following is found on page 243:

"If you are a Creationist, the Bible - not nature - dictates what you
believe. Creationists subordinate observational evidence to doctrine
based on their interpretation of sacred texts. The tenets of biblical
Creationism are not testable, nor are they subject to dramatic change
based on new data. In other words, Creationism is a form of religion."

Let's rearrange a few words that would make this paragraph much closer
to the truth:

"If you are an evolutionist, Darwin - not nature - dictates what you
believe. Evolutionists subordinate observational evidence to doctrine
based on their interpretation of On the Origin of Species. The tenets of
evolutionary naturalism are not testable, nor are they subject to
dramatic change based on new data. In other words, Evolutionism is a
form of religion."

<end of text copied from http://www.mphelsinki.net/t138034.html>

It is more likely that you found your deceptive version of the quote on
the ICR site or GoodNewsDaily.org, the only other places on the web
where Google could find this lie. Here's a link that will show the
results of my search (you may need to piec:
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&safe=off&as_qdr=all&q=+%28Hazen+and+Trefil%29+and+%
22tenets+of+evolutionary%22&btnG=Google+Search

...or, Google the following query phrase:
(Hazen and Trefil) and "tenets of evolutionary"

You can find details about the book on Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/038526108X/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-1879746-
9666350#reader-link