Bible Discussion: "Why I Believe The Bible -- A Nuclear Scientist Tells His Story, " Awake! January 22, 2004

"Why I Believe The Bible -- A Nuclear Scientist Tells His Story, " Awake! January 22, 2004

Atomic Weight
2004-02-08 01:36:57 EST
"Why I Believe the Bible - A Nuclear Scientist Tells His Story"
Read how a nuclear physicist reconciled his knowledge of science with
his belief in the Bible.

As told by Alton Williams

In 1978 two significant events took place in my life. In September I
received my degree as a nuclear physicist, and in December, I was
ordained as a minister of Jehovah's Witnesses.

When people learn that I am a scientist as well as a Witness, they
often wonder how I reconcile my scientific knowledge with my belief in
the Bible. Granted, for years I too wondered whether scientific
knowledge and belief in the Bible could go together. Eventually,
though, I became fully convinced that the Bible is in harmony with
scientific fact. How did I reach that conclusion? Please allow me
first to relate how I became a scientist.

A 19-Year Project

I was born in 1953 in Jackson, Mississippi, U.S.A., the third of 11
children. Our family was poor. We often had to move from one house to
another because my parents could not pay the rent. We received most of
what we ate through a government food-subsidy program, and the
secondhand clothing we wore was given to us by people for whom my
mother cleaned houses and offices.

My parents often reminded us children that the only way out of
poverty was to get a good education. As a result, at a very early age,
I set my mind on obtaining a college degree. I started school at the
age of six, and I continued my schooling without interruption for the
next 19 years. I enjoyed science and mathematics, so once I entered
college, I began to pursue a career as a scientist.

While in college, I met a young woman named Del. A science professor
had referred her to me so Del could get some help with a science
course she was taking. Soon, though, our conversations went beyond
science, and we fell in love. We were married on January 10,
1974--during a two-hour interval between classes! Four years later, in
1978, I finally received my doctorate.

I had achieved what I thought was the key to success. I was a
scientist--and a nuclear physicist at that! With my newly attained
degree in theoretical nuclear physics in hand, I could begin to reap
the fruitage of my long studies. I was eager to make a name for myself
in the scientific arena. In addition, I could now choose a job from
among the many lucrative offers made by private companies and
government institutions.

However, a few months later, on December 30, 1978, I took a step
that soon proved to have even more influence on my life and future
than my newly attained degree. On that date, I symbolized my
dedication to Jehovah God through water baptism and thus became one of
Jehovah's Witnesses. How did that step come about?

A Book Sparked My Interest

In the latter part of 1977, while I was studying at the University
of Massachusetts at Amherst, two Witnesses knocked on the door of my
apartment. I was away. but my wife was at home with our children, a
three-year-old and a newborn. Del invited the Witnesses in. After a
pleasant conversation, she agreed to have the Witnesses visit her once
a week to conduct a Bible study with her.

When my wife informed me of this arrangement, I immediately opposed
her. I didn't mind that she wanted to join a religion but not
Jehovah's Witnesses! Actually, I did not know much about the
Witnesses, but I had a preconceived idea that they were a strange
group that used the Bible to deceive people. So, in an effort to free
my wife from what I considered to be the grasp of the Witnesses, I
thought that I would use my scientific knowledge to discredit their
teachings.

One week I took a break from my research work at the university and
went home to be present during my wife's Bible study. However, I
arrived home later than I had planned, and the woman conducting the
Bible study was about to leave. She gave me a book entitled "Did Man
Get Here by Evolution or by Creation?"* Also, she told my wife that
during the Bible study scheduled for the following week, they would
consider a Bible prophecy showing that 1914 was a significant year.
That was exactly the opening I needed! I told the Witness that I would
be at home for the next Bible discussion. I wanted to check the
mathematical accuracy of what she was going to discuss about the year
1914.

That same night I began reading the book that the Witness had left.
Frankly, the contents impressed me. It was written in a logical
manner, and it contained numerous scientific references concerning the
subject of evolution. To my surprise, I learned that the Bible
contains much more exact information regarding creation than I had
previously realized. I finished examining the book in a few days and
had to admit that what the Bible actually states about creation does
not contradict the known scientific facts concerning life on earth.
-----
* Published by Jehovah's Witnesses but now out of print.
-----

Determined to Find Inconsistencies

Nevertheless, I was still skeptical about the teachings of the
Witnesses, and I was looking forward to doing a mathematical check of
the Bible prophecy concerning the year 1914. I thought that this
approach would no doubt intimidate the Witness and, hopefully, help my
wife to see the error of the beliefs taught by the Witnesses.

The following week the Witness returned accompanied by a man who was
one of the elders in the local congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.
The elder conducted the Bible study. He considered the prophecies
found in chapters 4 and 9 of the Bible book of Daniel, concerning the
appearance of Jesus as Messiah and King. My mind was set on finding
mathematical inconsistencies in the presentation, but I found none. On
the contrary, I was again impressed by the logic of the information
contained in the Bible.

Up to that point, I thought that faith in God was based more on
emotion than on reason. How wrong I was! I thanked the Witnesses for
the informative discussion and said that I would like to continue
participating in the weekly study. So from then on, I continued my
studies at the university and, together with my wife, my Bible studies
with the Witnesses. Also, my wife and I began to attend the meetings
of the Witnesses held at the Kingdom Hall.

Within a few months, I learned many new Bible truths and soon
qualified to join the Witnesses in the door-to-door ministry. This I
did even though I was in the final stages of earning my doctorate at
the university, which absorbed a great deal of my time. I finished my
dissertation in the summer of 1978 and moved to the state of Alabama,
where I began teaching physics at the Alabama A. & M. University in
Huntsville. We quickly contacted the Witnesses in our new locality,
and an elder and his wife continued to study the Bible with us. A few
months later, my wife and I were baptized, both on the same day.

Active as a Scientist and a Minister

For me, being a scientist has proved to be compatible with being a
Witness of Jehovah. In 1983, I began working as an astrophysicist at
the George C. Marshall Space Flight Center of NASA (National
Aeronautics and Space Administration), also in Huntsville.* I worked
in both the experimental and the theoretical fields associated with an
X-ray telescope. (In 1999 that telescope--the Chandra X-ray
Observatory--was successfully launched into orbit by the space shuttle
"Columbia".) I enjoyed working on that project, which involved the
analyzing of X-rays emitted from various stars and galaxies in an
attempt to understand the physical universe better.

My work was doubly enjoyable to me because not only was I working
-----
* NASA is a U.S. government organization that functions independently
from other government agencies.
-----

on a scientfically challenging problem but I was also coming to a
deeper appreciation of the power and wisdom of the Creator. In fact,
Jehovah's words through the ancient prophet Isaiah took on special
meaning for me. The Creator says: "Raise your eyes high up and see.
Who has created these things? It is the One who is bringing forth the
army of them even by number, all of whom he calls even by name. Due to
the abundance of dynamic energy, he also being vigorous in power, not
one of them is missing." (Isaiah 40:26) The more I 'raised my eyes
high up' to peer at the vastness, the
complexity, and the beauty of the universe, the more I appreciated the
work of the intelligent Designer who brought all of it about and
established the laws that keep it all together.

During that time, I kept busy publishing new material in scientific
journals based on my research in X-ray astrophysics. However, I was
also active in the Christian congregation. I served as an elder and
spent some 20 hours each month in the public preaching work.
Meanwhile, my wife engaged in the Bible education work on a full-time
basis.

After working some four years at NASA, I felt a growing need to
volunteer more of my time to help others learn the wonderful truths
found in the Bible. But how could I do so? After discussing my desire
with my wife and taking the matter to Jehovah in prayer, I realized
that I had to make some important decisions.

Weighty Decisions

I approached my immediate supervisor at NASA and told him that I
wanted to change my workweek from five days to four days. Of course, I
would accept a reduced income. I explained to my supervisor that I
wanted to spend the other three days of the week in connection with my
ministry. My supervisor agreed, although this arrangement was unheard
of for scientists at NASA. However, he told me that I needed to talk
to his supervisor. I did so and was pleasantly surprised when this
upper-level supervisor also agreed with my request. So in September
1987, I began my career as a full-time minister, spending some 90
hours a month in door-to-door preaching and other features of the
ministry.

Later, a supervisor from the Alabama A. & M. University in
Huntsville called me. He offered me a teaching position in the physics
department. I replied that I would accept the job only if it would
enable me to use the bulk of my time for my ministry. I assured him,
though, that my activities in the ministry would not detract from the
quality of my work in teaching classes. The supervisor agreed. Today,
I still teach at that university and also serve as a full-time
minister. I even had time to learn Spanish. Presently, my wife and I
serve in a Spanish-speaking congregation
of Jehovah's Witnesses in Huntsville.

Science and Faith

In my years of doing scientific research, I have never encountered a
conflict between a proved scientific fact and a teaching of the Bible.
Often, seeming conflicts are caused by a lack of knowledge--either of
a scientific teaching or of what the Bible really says. For example,
some scientists and others erroneously think that the Bible teaches
that plants, animals, and humans all developed on earth within six
literal 24-hour days. This would be in conflict with known scientific
facts. But the Bible does not teach that. Rather, it reveals that the
creative "days" encompass thousands of years.*

Confusion also arises from the mistaken idea that faith in God is
merely an emotional experience. Far from that, faith in God and the
Bible is based on facts that can be verified. As defined in the Bible,
"faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident
demonstration [or, "convincing evidence," footnote] of realities
though not beheld." (Hebrews 11:1) Yes, faith is based on evidence.
Hundreds of prophecies have been fulfilled in the past and in our day.
Thus, even applying the scientific method used by all scientists to
establish a scientific theory, we can have complete confidence in the
fulfillment of Bible prophecies that pertain to future events.

One such prophecy includes the promise that we will be able to enjoy
Paradise conditions on earth in the near future. The devastating
effects of old age, sickness, death, wars, and injustice will be no
more. (Revelation 21:3,4) Then we will have time to explore and study
in detail the wonderful creations of Jehovah God and the many laws
that he established to govern this awe-inspiring physical universe.

I am grateful to Jehovah God for helping me to find the key to true
happiness--the wonderful truths found in his Word, the Bible. It is my
prayer that still many others, including scientists, may find that
precious key.
-----
* See chapter 6, "An Ancient Creation Record--Can You Trust It?," in
the book "Is There a Creator
Who Cares About You?" published by Jehovah's Witnesses.
-----

Published in Awake! magazine, January 22, 2004, Pages 19-23.

GentleOwlSpirit
2004-02-08 03:20:05 EST

"Atomic Weight" wrote in message

> [...]
> Paradise conditions on earth in the near future. The devastating
> effects of old age, sickness, death, wars, and injustice will be no
> more. (Revelation 21:3,4) Then we will have time to explore and study
> in detail the wonderful creations of Jehovah God and the many laws
> that he established to govern this awe-inspiring physical universe.
>
> I am grateful to Jehovah God for helping me to find the key to true
> happiness--the wonderful truths found in his Word, the Bible. It is my
> prayer that still many others, including scientists, may find that
> precious key.
> -----
> * See chapter 6, "An Ancient Creation Record--Can You Trust It?," in
> the book "Is There a Creator
> Who Cares About You?" published by Jehovah's Witnesses.
> -----
>
> Published in Awake! magazine, January 22, 2004, Pages 19-23.
==============
You belong to a cult! JW believe Jesus and satan were brothers both born of
Mary and Joseph. As for your 1914 prophesy, that was rewritten and changed
I believe in 1916...as a matter of fact if you'll check the following link
the JW cult has given 13 prophesies about the second coming of Christ. And
JW aren't even allowed to read the Bible alone...they are told to only read
it with a member who is qualified to teach.
This has all the facts about JW.
I shake the dust from me shoes.
http://www.carm.org/witnesses.htm

John Ings
2004-02-08 05:36:12 EST
On 7 Feb 2004 22:36:57 -0800, atomicweight235@yahoo.com (Atomic
Weight) wrote:

>"Why I Believe the Bible - A Nuclear Scientist Tells His Story"
>Read how a nuclear physicist reconciled his knowledge of science with
>his belief in the Bible.

The thought of a fool dumb enough to write this stuff being involved
with anything radioactive is scary!

>She gave me a book entitled "Did Man
>Get Here by Evolution or by Creation?"*

I have a copy in my library. It is full of lies.

> That same night I began reading the book that the Witness had left.
>Frankly, the contents impressed me.

You're nuclear physicist and that pap impressed you? Something's wrong
here! You're either a fraud or a fool.

>It was written in a logical manner,

It is written in a disingenous and dishonest manner and is nothing
more than church funded propaganda.

>and it contained numerous scientific references concerning the
>subject of evolution.

Most wrong, all deliberately misleading.

>To my surprise, I learned that the Bible
>contains much more exact information regarding creation than I had
>previously realized.

No you did not learn that, because it isn't so.

>I finished examining the book in a few days and
>had to admit that what the Bible actually states about creation does
>not contradict the known scientific facts concerning life on earth.

Hogwash! That book states for instance that the general order of
creation given in Genesis 1 agrees with the findings of science and
goes rhapsodizes over the unlikelihood of this coincidence being due
to chance. In reality the order given in Genesis 1 is completely
different than that discovered by science. The earth was not created
before the stars. Trees did not appear on earth before fish. Not did
birds appear before beasts of the field.

>Determined to Find Inconsistencies

You missed the glaring inconsistencies in that book nitwit!
You're not likely to find any more subtle ones!

## Education: How come we have smart bombs and dumb kids?

Libertarius
2004-02-08 10:40:28 EST
===>The poor soul has lost his mind. Obviously an education in
nuclear physics does not prepare one against the acceptance of
religious nonsense and lies. -- L.

Libertarius
2004-02-08 10:49:00 EST

GentleOwlSpirit wrote:

> You belong to a cult!

===>Christianity itself is a "cult" -- the worship of a deified MAN who was
executed by the Romans for seditious activities.

> JW believe Jesus and satan were brothers both born of
> Mary and Joseph.

===>No, they don't believe that. You try to counter one set of nonsense
and lies with another.

> As for your 1914 prophesy, that was rewritten and changed
> I believe in 1916...as a matter of fact if you'll check the following link
> the JW cult has given 13 prophesies about the second coming of Christ.

===>That part is true. The entire Advent (Millerite) movement, including
SDA, JW, WCG, etc. has to do with preaching what will never happen.
JWs differ only in insisting on predicting specific dates for the "second
coming".

> And
> JW aren't even allowed to read the Bible alone...they are told to only read
> it with a member who is qualified to teach.

===>That is not quite true, either, but they are indeed protective of their
converts, because anyone seriously STUDYING the literature compiled
in the Bible will sooner or later realize the LIES Christian sects and
denominations,
especially the biblicists-fundamentalist variety, spread throughout the world.
-- L.

Libertarius
2004-02-08 11:08:27 EST

John Ings wrote:

> On 7 Feb 2004 22:36:57 -0800, atomicweight235@yahoo.com (Atomic
> Weight) wrote:
>
> >"Why I Believe the Bible - A Nuclear Scientist Tells His Story"
> >Read how a nuclear physicist reconciled his knowledge of science with
> >his belief in the Bible.
>
> The thought of a fool dumb enough to write this stuff being involved
> with anything radioactive is scary!

===>GOOD POINT!
If he believes in the "end of the world", coming in a "conflagration", he
just might
get inspired to be the "instrument of Jehovah God" to bring it about!

> >She gave me a book entitled "Did Man
> >Get Here by Evolution or by Creation?"*
>
> I have a copy in my library. It is full of lies.

===>The poor man obviously never studied any biology.

> > That same night I began reading the book that the Witness had left.
> >Frankly, the contents impressed me.
>
> You're nuclear physicist and that pap impressed you? Something's wrong
> here! You're either a fraud or a fool.

===>Remember, it was his WIFE who first came under the influence.
Reminds me of the Adam & Eve fable.

> >It was written in a logical manner,
>
> It is written in a disingenous and dishonest manner and is nothing
> more than church funded propaganda.
>
> >and it contained numerous scientific references concerning the
> >subject of evolution.
>
> Most wrong, all deliberately misleading.
>
> >To my surprise, I learned that the Bible
> >contains much more exact information regarding creation than I had
> >previously realized.
>
> No you did not learn that, because it isn't so.

===>But it DOES contain "exact information".
An extraterrestrial being named YHWH ELOHIM sculpted man and
animals out of mud and bought them to life magically by blowing air
into their noses. How much more "exact" can you get?

> >I finished examining the book in a few days and
> >had to admit that what the Bible actually states about creation does
> >not contradict the known scientific facts concerning life on earth.
>
> Hogwash! That book states for instance that the general order of
> creation given in Genesis 1 agrees with the findings of science and
> goes rhapsodizes over the unlikelihood of this coincidence being due
> to chance. In reality the order given in Genesis 1 is completely
> different than that discovered by science. The earth was not created
> before the stars. Trees did not appear on earth before fish. Not did
> birds appear before beasts of the field.

===>He obviously never looked into what the "known scientific facts"
are.

> >Determined to Find Inconsistencies
>
> You missed the glaring inconsistencies in that book nitwit!
> You're not likely to find any more subtle ones!

===>JWs are so strong on proclaiming "Jehovah", but the
very first books of the Bible contradict one another when,
according to Exodus, he revealed his name to Moses for the first
time, but in Genesis the ancestors Abraham, Isaac, Jacob all
knew him by that name! And that is just ONE major "inconsistency".

Libertarius
============

> ## Education: How come we have smart bombs and dumb kids?

Faith is a SACERDOTALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE.

Bootstrap Bill
2004-02-10 18:25:13 EST

"GentleOwlSpirit" <lemaj@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> You belong to a cult!

All churches are cults, all are equally dangerous. Beware! Get out while you
can!

977
2004-02-10 22:41:04 EST
Let's compare ourselves to an ameoba for a moment.
Please bare with me as I get to the point.
Would it bother us at all if we accidently or even purposely stepped on one
and ended it's life?
Would the death of an ameoba bother us at all?
Would it affect our lives at all?
Lets say we fed it whatever nutrient ameoba's eat. It would be grateful and
want to pay for our effort.
Wouldn't that be a ridiculous thing for an ameoba to do. After all what
could an ameoba give us in return.

Ok, now let's talk about the God of the Universe.
God who created everything and holds everything together.
He existed before he created time and is present everywhere.
He knows everything.

Now compare us to him.
If God ended our existance would it bother him?
Would it affect him?
He could stamp us out like we could an ameoba and it wouldn't bother him a
bit.

So if God gives us salvation. How could we ever repay him?
Wouldn't it be like an ameoba trying to repay us for some kindness we did to
it.
We would laugh at the ameoba for trying to repay us. There could be nothing
an ameoba could give us that would help us.
In the same way, what can we give God in return for His gift of salvation.

Yet this is the entire basis of the JW and many other religions. One of
works and buying from God our own salvation. Something we could never repay,
no matter what we could ever do.

Bob

Libertarius
2004-02-11 12:11:50 EST

977 wrote:

> Let's compare ourselves to an ameoba for a moment.
> Please bare with me as I get to the point.
> Would it bother us at all if we accidently or even purposely stepped on one
> and ended it's life?
> Would the death of an ameoba bother us at all?
> Would it affect our lives at all?
> Lets say we fed it whatever nutrient ameoba's eat. It would be grateful and
> want to pay for our effort.
> Wouldn't that be a ridiculous thing for an ameoba to do. After all what
> could an ameoba give us in return.
>
> Ok, now let's talk about the God of the Universe.
> God who created everything and holds everything together.
> He existed before he created time and is present everywhere.
> He knows everything.

===>From an ameba to "God"???
Show me an ameba. OK, it does exist.
Now, show me your "God"......
OK, ne response???
Because like the Tooth Fairy or Leprechauns,
"he" exists only in your imagination.

NO ONE "created everything". Everything EXISTS,
has ALWAYS existed in some previous form.

> Now compare us to him.
> If God ended our existance would it bother him?
> Would it affect him?
> He could stamp us out like we could an ameoba and it wouldn't bother him a
> bit.
>
> So if God gives us salvation. How could we ever repay him?
> Wouldn't it be like an ameoba trying to repay us for some kindness we did to
> it.
> We would laugh at the ameoba for trying to repay us. There could be nothing
> an ameoba could give us that would help us.
> In the same way, what can we give God in return for His gift of salvation.
>
> Yet this is the entire basis of the JW and many other religions.

===>They have a different idea of a "God" from yours.
All believers do. Whatever their mind can conceive.

> One of
> works and buying from God our own salvation. Something we could never repay,
> no matter what we could ever do.

===>Keep on fantasizing. -- L.

977
2004-02-12 13:10:05 EST

"Libertarius" <Libertarius@Nothing_But_The.Truth> wrote in message

> 977 wrote:
>
> > Let's compare ourselves to an ameoba for a moment.
> > Please bare with me as I get to the point.
> > Would it bother us at all if we accidently or even purposely stepped on
one
> > and ended it's life?
> > Would the death of an ameoba bother us at all?
> > Would it affect our lives at all?
> > Lets say we fed it whatever nutrient ameoba's eat. It would be grateful
and
> > want to pay for our effort.
> > Wouldn't that be a ridiculous thing for an ameoba to do. After all what
> > could an ameoba give us in return.
> >
> > Ok, now let's talk about the God of the Universe.
> > God who created everything and holds everything together.
> > He existed before he created time and is present everywhere.
> > He knows everything.
>
> ===>From an ameba to "God"???
> Show me an ameba. OK, it does exist.
> Now, show me your "God"......
> OK, ne response???
> Because like the Tooth Fairy or Leprechauns,
> "he" exists only in your imagination.
>
> NO ONE "created everything". Everything EXISTS,
> has ALWAYS existed in some previous form.
>

> > Now compare us to him.
> > If God ended our existance would it bother him?
> > Would it affect him?
> > He could stamp us out like we could an ameoba and it wouldn't bother him
> > bit.
> >
> > So if God gives us salvation. How could we ever repay him?
> > Wouldn't it be like an ameoba trying to repay us for some kindness we
did to
> > it.
> > We would laugh at the ameoba for trying to repay us. There could be
nothing
> > an ameoba could give us that would help us.
> > In the same way, what can we give God in return for His gift of
salvation.

> > Yet this is the entire basis of the JW and many other religions.
>
> ===>They have a different idea of a "God" from yours.
> All believers do. Whatever their mind can conceive.
>

> > One of
> > works and buying from God our own salvation. Something we could never
repay,
> > no matter what we could ever do.
>
> ===>Keep on fantasizing. -- L.

Dear Libertarius,

If God does not exist and you are right. Then why do you waste so much of
your time trying to convince others that they are wrong and you are right.
After all, every second that goes by brings you closer to the end of your
existance. You are wasting time,,,, your time.