Bible Discussion: Where Are The Women Creationists?

Where Are The Women Creationists?

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)

Ken Shaw
2004-01-22 20:44:24 EST

Louann Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:22:20 +0000 (UTC), Ken Shaw <none.of@your.biz>
> wrote:
>

>>>If St. Paul an Jesus were to be placed in Europe in say the 1500's which
>>>would have been burned at the stake first?
>>>

>>If Jesus existed then he was a jew and the church rarely burned jews.
>>Paul on the other hand would have most assuredly have run afoul of the
>>inquisition.
>

> (head scratch) as I understand, the Inquisition was _mostly_ about
> burning Jews. Not just regular Jews but convertados, i.e. Jewish
> families who had converted rather than be deported in a previous round
> of the Reconquista, but they were suspected of carrying on Jewish
> religious observances in private.

The Inquisition's responsibility was to eradicate heresy.

A quick history lesson to explain why the Inquisition pursued the
convertados. In 1492 King Ferdinand conquered the last moorish territory
in Spain. He ordered all the jews in Spain to leave on the grounds that
they cooperated with the moors. Many jews chose to convert to
Catholicism rather than be exiled. Many in the Churches hierarchy
doubted the sincerity of these conversions and set the Inquisition after
these jews, the convertados. The Inquisition did not routinely pursue
jews but they did eliminate any group of christians who varied from
Church teachings which is why Paul would have been in their sights.

Ken

Steve Schaffner
2004-01-22 22:09:23 EST
Ken Shaw <none.of@your.biz> writes:

> If Jesus existed then he was a jew and the church rarely burned jews.
> Paul on the other hand would have most assuredly have run afoul of the
> inquisition.

Paul was also a Jew.

--
Steve Schaffner sfs@broad.mit.edu
Immediate assurance is an excellent sign of probable lack of

Steve Schaffner
2004-01-22 22:10:58 EST
Walter Bushell <proto@panix.com> writes:

> If St. Paul an Jesus were to be placed in Europe in say the 1500's which
> would have been burned at the stake first?

I'd put my money on Paul. It took Jesus years to get people mad
enough at him to kill him. Paul, on the other hand, would come into
town, and a few hours later he'd have the inhabitants rioting or
throwing rocks at him.

--
Steve Schaffner sfs@broad.mit.edu
Immediate assurance is an excellent sign of probable lack of
insight into the topic. Josiah Royce

Pastor Dave
2004-01-23 08:53:11 EST
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:24:06 +0000 (UTC), Louann Miller
<louann_m@yahoo.net> spake thusly:

>On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:22:20 +0000 (UTC), Ken Shaw <none.of@your.biz>
>wrote:
>
>>> If St. Paul an Jesus were to be placed in Europe in say the 1500's which
>>> would have been burned at the stake first?
>>>

>>If Jesus existed then he was a jew and the church rarely burned jews.
>>Paul on the other hand would have most assuredly have run afoul of the
>>inquisition.
>
>(head scratch) as I understand, the Inquisition was _mostly_ about
>burning Jews. Not just regular Jews but convertados, i.e. Jewish
>families who had converted rather than be deported in a previous round
>of the Reconquista, but they were suspected of carrying on Jewish
>religious observances in private.

There was more than one Inquisition.

--

Pastor Dave Raymond

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

The fact is, if you can't believe the beginning,
you can't believe the end and shouldn't claim to.
To disbelieve the beginning, is to doubt many things
that Jesus said. After all, He made it clear that
He believed it. If you believe in the Trinity, how
can you believe that God wouldn't know how it all
started? If you can't believe the beginning, then
get off the pulpit.

Rev. Desertphile
2004-01-23 16:59:11 EST
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 03:10:58 +0000 (UTC), Steve Schaffner
<*s@darwin.broad.mit.edu> wrote:

> Walter Bushell <proto@panix.com> writes:

> > If St. Paul an Jesus were to be placed in Europe in say the 1500's which
> > would have been burned at the stake first?

If is far more likely Saul, if placed in that position, would be doing
the burner, and Jesus the burnee.

> I'd put my money on Paul. It took Jesus years to get people mad
> enough at him to kill him. Paul, on the other hand, would come into
> town, and a few hours later he'd have the inhabitants rioting or
> throwing rocks at him.

He really went over big when attacking the Aphrodite temples and Her
worshipers. Attacking the Goddess of Love..... how very Christian of
him.

> --
> Steve Schaffner sfs@broad.mit.edu
> Immediate assurance is an excellent sign of probable lack of
> insight into the topic. Josiah Royce

--
"To the bat tank!" --- Tank Girl

Asking a Creationist for scientific evidence is like asking a hippo to ride
a unicycle.

Rev. Desertphile
2004-01-23 16:59:33 EST
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 01:47:29 +0000 (UTC), chriskrolczyk@hotmail.com
(Chris Krolczyk) wrote:

> john.wilkins@bigpond.com (John Wilkins) wrote in message news:<1g7ythl.919df51474103N%john.wilkins@bigpond.com>...

>> (BigDiscusser <JOJOYD@webtv.net> wrote:

>>> I am here as a big time creationist.

Body weight isn't the issue. I wrote "Big Name Creationist," not "big
time." Why are the major Creationist cults (CRS, ICR, AiG, etc.,)
almost exclusively male cults? If they were actually doing "science"
as many of them claim [pause for laughter to subside], they would have
a much larger number of women in their cults. In the real world, there
are millions of women scientists--- where are the women Creationists?
These cults have TOKEN females (just like Mormons, for example, or the
Scientology crime syndicate, has a few token black people) in tiny
numbers: this suggests they are not doing "science" as they would have
people believe.

>>> God bless, Jo Jean

Did someone sneeze?

> > No, you aren't. You are here as a content-free cheer squad, who never
> > discusses any actual topic, and who can't quote properly, and who thinks
> > it is OK to disrespect others' religious opinions.
> >
> > In short, you are here as a bigot.

A content-free PARROT appears to be more descriptive of her
"contribution" in talk.origins.

> You've giving her far too much credit, John. I actually think
> she's far worse than a mere bigot.

A sexist, racist bigot? No wonder she defends Creationism and the
Jesus cults.

--
"To the bat tank!" --- Tank Girl

Asking a Creationist for scientific evidence is like asking a hippo to ride
a unicycle.

Bob Casanova
2004-01-23 17:10:18 EST
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:24:06 +0000 (UTC), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Louann Miller
<louann_m@yahoo.net>:

>On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:22:20 +0000 (UTC), Ken Shaw <none.of@your.biz>
>wrote:
>
>>> If St. Paul an Jesus were to be placed in Europe in say the 1500's which
>>> would have been burned at the stake first?
>>>

>>If Jesus existed then he was a jew and the church rarely burned jews.
>>Paul on the other hand would have most assuredly have run afoul of the
>>inquisition.
>
>(head scratch) as I understand, the Inquisition was _mostly_ about
>burning Jews. Not just regular Jews but convertados, i.e. Jewish
>families who had converted rather than be deported in a previous round
>of the Reconquista, but they were suspected of carrying on Jewish
>religious observances in private.

Yep (also a fair number of Christian "heretics"). FYI, and
IIRC, the "hidden Jews" were called morranos and the "hidden
Muslims" were called moroscos.

--

Bob C.

Reply to Bob-Casanova @ worldnet.att.net
(without the spaces, of course)

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"
- Isaac Asimov

\Rev Dr\ Lenny Flank
2004-01-27 19:35:07 EST

_AnonCoward wrote:

> "Kari Tikkanen" <ktikkane@paju.oulu-REMOVEME.fi> wrote in message
> :
> : In talk.origins Rev. Desertphile <desertphile@cchr.ws> wrote:
> : :
> : : Why are all or almost all Big Name Creationists men? Are women just
> : : too smart and rational to be Big Name Creationists? Or is it because
> : : Fundamentalist Christians believe women should be pregnant and
> : : cooking in the kitchen all the time?
> :
> : Answering subject headline..
> : I know only one case: Dr. Sigrid Harwig-Scherer (Univ. of Munich etc)
> :
> : Some fundies say women should shut up as St.Paul has said in Bible..
> :
> : --
> : http://www.student.oulu.fi/~ktikkane
>

> Ralf:
> Margaret Helder - member of the editorial board of the self proclaimed
> peer-reviewed journal "Occasional Papers of the Baraminology Study
> Group" (http://www.bryancore.org/bsg/opbsg/index.html)
>

> According to AIG: "Dr Margaret Helder is a scientist, a writer, a mother
> of six, and Vice-President of the Creation Science Association of
> Alberta, Canada. She is also probably the most prominent woman in
> creation science." (http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/1336.asp)

Whose wife is she.

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)