Bible Discussion: The Religion And Denomination Poll

The Religion And Denomination Poll

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)

Dr. Jason Gastrich
2004-01-22 14:40:25 EST
dave e wrote:
> "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message
>> dave e wrote:
>>> "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message

>>> What a badly designed survey. Includes Christian Scientists, with
>>> fewer than 200,000 members in the US, and Boston Church of Christ
>>> (an evangelical cult group with fewer ) but excludes Presbyterians,
>>> with more than 5 million US members.
>>>
>>> http://www.gc.cuny.edu/studies/key_findings.htm
>>>
>>> Also, too many overlapping catagories. "Protestant Christian"
>>> overlaps with at least eight other groups in the list.
>>>
>>> Also, the list does not use terms by which members of the
>>> religions actually identify themselves. "Mormons" do not,
>>> officially, call themselves Mormons. They are members of the LDS
>>> church. Moslem is not the name of a religion or sect. "Moslem" is
>>> the name given to followers of the Islamic religion. Unitarians
>>> are officially "Unitarian Universalists".
>>>
>>> And finally, where do the atheists sign in? Under _OTHER_ ?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>
>> If you don't like the poll, then perhaps you should make your own.
>>

> If I decide I need to know the religious affiliation of people
> visiting my personal website, perhaps I will. Otherwise, if I want a
> more accurate representation of religious affiliations in America, I
> will look it up.
>
> http://www.gc.cuny.edu/studies/key_findings.htm
>

>> The names were designed that way for a reason;
>
> Elaborate, please.

I'm interested in how people refer to themselves. Some people refer to
themselves as Protestants; as we have seen. However, some Protestants refer
to themselves other ways. The fact that a number of people have simply
clicked Protestant has shown this.

JG

Dr. Jason Gastrich
2004-01-24 00:43:56 EST
dave e wrote:

>>> Also, the list does not use terms by which members of the
>>> religions actually identify themselves. "Mormons" do not,
>>> officially, call themselves Mormons. They are members of the LDS
>>> church.

If this is correct, then why did two Mormons hand me a card with the web
site http://mormon.org on it, today? It's their official church web site.

Jason

David Jensen
2004-01-24 11:05:09 EST
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 05:43:56 GMT, in alt.talk.creationism
<wCnQb.11848$z03.2106@twister.socal.rr.com>:

>If this is correct, then why did two Mormons hand me a card with the web
>site http://mormon.org on it, today? It's their official church web site.

Probably for the same reason that Christians accepted the name they were
given by others and Lutherans accepted the name they were given. You
just have to learn to accept what you are called, no matter what you
call yourselves.

_AnonCoward
2004-01-24 11:14:32 EST
"David Jensen" <david@BYEdajensen-family.com> wrote in message
:
: On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 05:43:56 GMT, in alt.talk.creationism
: "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in
: <wCnQb.11848$z03.2106@twister.socal.rr.com>:
:
:
: >dave e wrote:
: >
: >>>> Also, the list does not use terms by which members of the
: >>>> religions actually identify themselves. "Mormons" do not,
: >>>> officially, call themselves Mormons. They are members of the LDS
: >>>> church.
: >
: >If this is correct, then why did two Mormons hand me a card with the
: >web site http://mormon.org on it, today? It's their official church
: >web site.
:
: Probably for the same reason that Christians accepted the name they
: were given by others and Lutherans accepted the name they were given.
: You just have to learn to accept what you are called, no matter what
: you call yourselves.

Ralf:
Every now and then I like to mess around with people and tell them that
I don't actually have a "name" but rather I've been conditioned over the
years to respond to a specific sound. Folks often don't get it and those
that do for some reason tend to really get annoyed with me. Odd, that.

Ralf
* ^~^ ^~^ *
* _ {~ ~} {~ ~} _ *
* /_``>*< >*<''_\ *
* (\--_)++) (++(_--/) *
There are no advanced students in Aikido - there are only
competent beginners. There are no advanced techniques -
only the correct application of basic principles.

David
2004-01-24 14:39:07 EST
"Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message news:<wCnQb.11848$z03.2106@twister.socal.rr.com>...

> If this is correct, then why did two Mormons hand me a card with the web
> site http://mormon.org on it, today? It's their official church web site.

Ever heard of slang?

Did you actually go to the web site? They refer to their church on
the web site as "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".
Twice on the front page alone and even when you go deeper into the
site.

No where is it referred to as the mormon church, or mormon religion.

David

Uncle Davey
2004-01-24 16:10:37 EST

"David" <daycd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message

> > If this is correct, then why did two Mormons hand me a card with the web
> > site http://mormon.org on it, today? It's their official church web
site.

> Ever heard of slang?
>
> Did you actually go to the web site? They refer to their church on
> the web site as "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".
> Twice on the front page alone and even when you go deeper into the
> site.
>
> No where is it referred to as the mormon church, or mormon religion.
>
> David

Wasn't that in the book by HG Wells, with the Mormons and the Eloi?

Uncle Davey

Grinder
2004-01-24 16:35:27 EST

"Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message

> If this is correct, then why did two Mormons hand me a card with the web
> site http://mormon.org on it, today? It's their official church web site.

>From their FAQ: (emphasis mine)
http://www.mormon.org/question/faq/category/answer/0,9777,1601-1-49-5,00.html

Question:
What is the name of your Church?

Answer:
In 1838, Joseph Smith was told in a revelation that the Church should be
called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Doctrine and
Covenants 115:4).

The Church has been known by that name since that time. Gordon B. Hinckley,
President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has emphasized
the Church's correct name, saying:

"We believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God. The official name of the
Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and He is the
central figure in all of our worship.

"The Church carries the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Redeemer
of the world. It is His name by which this Church is officially called.
"As for the term Latter-day Saints, members of the Christian Church
anciently were called Saints. They were former-day Saints. We are the
Latter-day Saints. It is that simple.

"We are frequently called Mormons. It is a nickname *given us* because we
believe in the Book of Mormon as the word of God, a book which goes hand in
hand with the Bible, becoming a second witness for Jesus Christ."

Dr. Jason Gastrich
2004-01-24 20:46:37 EST
Grinder wrote:
> "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message

>> If this is correct, then why did two Mormons hand me a card with the
>> web site http://mormon.org on it, today? It's their official church
>> web site.
>
> From their FAQ: (emphasis mine)

http://www.mormon.org/question/faq/category/answer/0,9777,1601-1-49-5,00.html

> Question:
> What is the name of your Church?
>
> Answer:
> In 1838, Joseph Smith was told in a revelation that the Church should
> be called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Doctrine
> and Covenants 115:4).
>
> The Church has been known by that name since that time. Gordon B.
> Hinckley, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
> Saints, has emphasized the Church's correct name, saying:
>
> "We believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God. The official name of
> the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and He
> is the central figure in all of our worship.
>
> "The Church carries the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the
> Redeemer of the world. It is His name by which this Church is
> officially called. "As for the term Latter-day Saints, members of the
> Christian Church anciently were called Saints. They were former-day
> Saints. We are the Latter-day Saints. It is that simple.
>
> "We are frequently called Mormons. It is a nickname *given us*
> because we believe in the Book of Mormon as the word of God, a book
> which goes hand in hand with the Bible, becoming a second witness for
> Jesus Christ."

One would think that if they opposed or hated the nickname, they wouldn't
purchase mormon.org. If it were a negative slang term as some have
inferred, it would be akin to the Black Panthers purchasing niggers.org and
having it as their official web site address and domain name.

Note: This example was not intended to offend any African Americans. It was
only given as an example to show that it is silly to say that Mormon is an
evil word for the LDS church members because they use it on their official
site and elsewhere. I'm not racist in any way shape or form. In fact, I
fight against racism. See here:
http://www.jcsm.org/biblelessons/Anti-Racism.htm

Sincerely,
Jason