Bible Discussion: The Religion And Denomination Poll

The Religion And Denomination Poll

Dr. Jason Gastrich
2004-01-21 02:01:34 EST
Hi everyone,

JCSM has a religion and denomination poll online. Please come and give your
input and see which religion/denomination dominates the internet.

Link: http://denompoll.jcsm.org

Sincerely,
Jason Gastrich
--

The Awesome, Saving Gospel of God
http://gospel.jcsm.org

Thore Schmechtig
2004-01-21 08:37:51 EST
> JCSM has a religion and denomination poll online. Please come and give your
> input and see which religion/denomination dominates the internet.

Let me guess: On your site you "prove" that your sick faith, known as
biblidolatry (fundyism), is the dominant faith, eh?

TOP TEN SIGNS YOU'RE A (CHRISTIAN) FUNDAMENTALIST

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of
gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when
someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists
say that people evolved from other life forms, but you
have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were
created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem
believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the
"atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even
flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all
the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the
elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" --
including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and
Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have
no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated
Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed,
came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little
loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth
(4.55 billion years), but you find nothing wrong with
believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting
in their tents and guessing that Earth is a couple of
generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet
with the exception of those who share your beliefs --
though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend
Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet
consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and
physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot
rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be
all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it
comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be
evidence that prayer works. And you think that the
remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and
agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church
history - but still call yourself a Christian.

Ron
2004-01-21 08:58:17 EST
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:01:34 GMT, "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org>
wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>JCSM has a religion and denomination poll online. Please come and give your
>input and see which religion/denomination dominates the internet.
>
>Link: http://denompoll.jcsm.org
>
>Sincerely,
>Jason Gastrich

Hi Jason,

This poll has very little value. One needs to know the character of
the sites linking to it to understand who takes part in the poll. It's
a little like taking a political poll by calling all Republicans.

The groups that you are posting to . . . christian, bible, christnet,
creationism, probably are a good indication.

If you take a real poll, and factor out all the people who say they
are Christian because it is politically correct to say they are and go
to church for weddings and funerals, I believe you will find a much
different result.

My best guess is that most Americans embrace Agnosticism in their
hearts.

Nightsky

Frank Reichenbacher
2004-01-21 08:59:47 EST

"Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> JCSM has a religion and denomination poll online.

Ha ha! When I first read this, I thought it said, "religious domination."

Oh wait, maybe that's what you actually *meant* to say.

Frank

Please come and give your
> input and see which religion/denomination dominates the internet.
>
> Link: http://denompoll.jcsm.org
>
> Sincerely,
> Jason Gastrich
> --
>
> The Awesome, Saving Gospel of God
> http://gospel.jcsm.org
> Are you saved? Read the gospel and make sure!

Ninure Saunders
2004-01-21 10:23:11 EST
Computers have calculated that the average citizen in this
country uses his life span of seventy years in the following manner:

He works fourteen years
He sleeps twenty-four years
He spends six years of his life eating
Three years of his life is spent learning
He will spend four years talking
Eight years will be used in amusing himself
And traveling will consume five years of his life

Yet, the average citizen will only spend twenty months of his life
worshiping God.

That is, he would spend twenty months in worship if on the day of his
birth he began to spend five minutes of each morning and each evening of
his life in some type of worship (more than most people do), plus three
hours per week in church. If he spent that amount of time in worship, at
the end of his seventy-year sojourn he would have worshiped God for a
total of twenty months.

How do you spend your time?

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is
this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep
oneself from being polluted by the world.

Ninure Saunders aka Rainbow Christian
http://Rainbow-Christian.tk

The Lord is my Shepherd and He knows I'm Gay
http://Ninure-Saunders.tk

My Yahoo Group
http://Ninure.tk

My Online Diary
http://www.ninure.deardiary.net
-
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
http://www.MCCchurch.org

To send e-mail, remove nohate from address

Rogue
2004-01-21 13:59:25 EST
"Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message news:<itpPb.104279$Vs3.26565@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> Hi everyone,
>
> JCSM has a religion and denomination poll online. Please come and give your
> input and see which religion/denomination dominates the internet.
>
> Link: http://denompoll.jcsm.org
>
> Sincerely,
> Jason Gastrich

JERRY
You don't have Devil-worshipper or Anti-Christ's minion.

(I'm soooo bummed)
;-)

Tom McDonald
2004-01-21 17:00:25 EST
Dr. Jason Gastrich wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> JCSM has a religion and denomination poll online. Please come and give your
> input and see which religion/denomination dominates the internet.
>
> Link: http://denompoll.jcsm.org
>
> Sincerely,
> Jason Gastrich

Jason,

On the off chance that you happen upon this post, I want to say
that your poll is not well-designed. Not a slam at you; many
such polls are ill-designed. However, if you are interested in a
poll that does what you say you want this one to do, you need to
re-design the poll questions, have it hosted by a neutral
organization, and post to a randomly-selected sample of newsgroups.

If you mean 'dominate religious newsgroups', or 'dominate
newsgroups whose focus is of interest generally to religious
people', then the sample should be explicitly chosen from a set
of groups that fit clearly defined and clearly stated criteria.

If your doctoral program is like most that I've ever heard of,
it is likely that you will at some point have to deal with
reasonably sophisticated statistical analysis. It is quite
possible that you yourself will have to design, carry out and
analyze an experiment or survey. If you use this poll to help
you learn the principles needed in your doctoral work, you would
be money ahead and better prepared than if you don't.

Just a suggestion.

Tom McDonald

Dave E
2004-01-21 17:37:12 EST
"Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message news:<itpPb.104279$Vs3.26565@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> Hi everyone,
>
> JCSM has a religion and denomination poll online. Please come and give your
> input and see which religion/denomination dominates the internet.
>
> Link: http://denompoll.jcsm.org
>
> Sincerely,
> Jason Gastrich

What a badly designed survey. Includes Christian Scientists, with
fewer than 200,000 members in the US, and Boston Church of Christ (an
evangelical cult group with fewer ) but excludes Presbyterians, with
more than 5 million US members.

http://www.gc.cuny.edu/studies/key_findings.htm

Also, too many overlapping catagories. "Protestant Christian"
overlaps with at least eight other groups in the list.

Also, the list does not use terms by which members of the religions
actually identify themselves. "Mormons" do not, officially, call
themselves Mormons. They are members of the LDS church. Moslem is
not the name of a religion or sect. "Moslem" is the name given to
followers of the Islamic religion. Unitarians are officially
"Unitarian Universalists".

And finally, where do the atheists sign in? Under _OTHER_ ?

Dave

Dr. Jason Gastrich
2004-01-21 22:05:21 EST
dave e wrote:
> "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> JCSM has a religion and denomination poll online. Please come and
>> give your input and see which religion/denomination dominates the
>> internet.
>>
>> Link: http://denompoll.jcsm.org
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Jason Gastrich
>
> What a badly designed survey. Includes Christian Scientists, with
> fewer than 200,000 members in the US, and Boston Church of Christ (an
> evangelical cult group with fewer ) but excludes Presbyterians, with
> more than 5 million US members.
>
> http://www.gc.cuny.edu/studies/key_findings.htm
>
> Also, too many overlapping catagories. "Protestant Christian"
> overlaps with at least eight other groups in the list.
>
> Also, the list does not use terms by which members of the religions
> actually identify themselves. "Mormons" do not, officially, call
> themselves Mormons. They are members of the LDS church. Moslem is
> not the name of a religion or sect. "Moslem" is the name given to
> followers of the Islamic religion. Unitarians are officially
> "Unitarian Universalists".
>
> And finally, where do the atheists sign in? Under _OTHER_ ?
>
> Dave

If you don't like the poll, then perhaps you should make your own.

The names were designed that way for a reason; and not intended to be
offensive.

Since the poll is about one's religion and/or denomination, I suppose
atheists having nothing to do with it. This is mainly why I didn't post
this poll in atheist newsgroups.

Jason

Dave E
2004-01-22 12:20:29 EST
"Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message news:<R5HPb.4128$z03.3199@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> dave e wrote:
> > "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <news@jcsm.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> JCSM has a religion and denomination poll online. Please come and
> >> give your input and see which religion/denomination dominates the
> >> internet.
> >>
> >> Link: http://denompoll.jcsm.org
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >> Jason Gastrich
> >
> > What a badly designed survey. Includes Christian Scientists, with
> > fewer than 200,000 members in the US, and Boston Church of Christ (an
> > evangelical cult group with fewer ) but excludes Presbyterians, with
> > more than 5 million US members.
> >
> > http://www.gc.cuny.edu/studies/key_findings.htm
> >
> > Also, too many overlapping catagories. "Protestant Christian"
> > overlaps with at least eight other groups in the list.
> >
> > Also, the list does not use terms by which members of the religions
> > actually identify themselves. "Mormons" do not, officially, call
> > themselves Mormons. They are members of the LDS church. Moslem is
> > not the name of a religion or sect. "Moslem" is the name given to
> > followers of the Islamic religion. Unitarians are officially
> > "Unitarian Universalists".
> >
> > And finally, where do the atheists sign in? Under _OTHER_ ?
> >
> > Dave
>
> If you don't like the poll, then perhaps you should make your own.

If I decide I need to know the religious affiliation of people
visiting my personal website, perhaps I will. Otherwise, if I want a
more accurate representation of religious affiliations in America, I
will look it up.

http://www.gc.cuny.edu/studies/key_findings.htm

> The names were designed that way for a reason;

Elaborate, please.

and not intended to be