Bible Discussion: Age Of Aquarius

Age Of Aquarius

Elroy Willis
2004-01-03 12:23:04 EST

Note: This is crossposted to alt.astrology and alt.bible. I'm not
attempting to start a flame war, but rather to start up a rational
discussion on the "Age of Aquarius" and how it relates to the Bible
and astrology.

I just finished reading "The DaVinci Code" and am doing some research
on one of the ideas brought up in the book, namely that of some new
"Age of Aquarius," and what will mark its exact beginning.

Anyone who has done a fair amount of reading about Jesus will have
certainly run across claims that he was supposed to be some marker for
the beginning of the age of Pisces, what with the fish symbolisms and
all that were used by the first Christians and the Jesus fishes on
cars today.

So, I started web-surfing, reading different sites from modern
astrologers, trying to get an idea of what they think might mark some
actual "beginning" of the "Age of Aquarius," and the results were
interesting in many ways.

Much of it seems to include "end of the world" type ideas, with wars
and earthquakes and stuff that you read about in the Bible, from what
I've seen so far. Those are present in all times throughout history,
so seeing them around you is no indication of anything "new" at least
in my opinion. History repeats itself, so it's said...

From:
http://raphaelonline.com/Aquarius.htm

"In no way is this new age the end of the world or a final time of any
sort, except in regard to the end of this present day Earth
civilization."

I wonder what this guy means by "end of this present day Earth
civilization." Probably some WWIII, or armageddon or doomsday
situation?

Reading on...

"Much mischief and evil is connected with this change, especially in
respect to religions, and the use of new scientific discoveries and
advancements. These will increase and continue until the end of this
present day civilization, which will come by way of World War III."

Yep, WWIII. Another doomsayer. I wonder if doomsaying is parcel
and part of all astrologers beliefs? I don't know for sure...

From:
http://www.paranormality.com/age_of_aquarius.shtml

"Age of Aquarius : The Age of Aquarius can mean the end of an era,
(age of Pisces) and the beginning of another. Many feel the Age of
Aquarius heralds the coming of the "end of times" as written in the
Bible, others feel it is the dawning of the "new world order".
Whatever it means it is still mysterious, and opinions differ widely
in the Astrology community."

This is starting out a little better... It's recognized that opinions
differ widely among astrologers as to when some "exact beginning"
of the "Age of Aquarius" began, or will begin.

"Thus, the spring equinox has been occurring in Pisces for the past
several thousand years and will begin to occur in the constellation
Aquarius in the near future. This is the background for current
speculations about the so-called Age of Aquarius. The phenomenon of
the precession of equinoxes also means that the spring equinox
occurred in the sign Aries during the Hellenistic period (the period
of Ptolemy), in Taurus several thousand years prior to the Hellenistic
period, and so forth backward through the zodiac."

[...]

Although I don't personally believe in astrology, or at least the
astrological idea that the position of constellations or planets can
affect people's personalities and futures, I do accept the above as an
objective fact which can be proven true through research. The
"wobble" of the earth causes the constellation seen on the
spring equinox (or any other time actually) to slowly change over
time.

"Thus, attention is called to the negative Piscean tendency to adopt
an attitude of blind faith, and to the positive Aquarian tendency to
adopt a more empirical attitude."

I'm all for people giving up blind faith, and even astrology, and
moving on to some new age of reason where people think more
empirically and logically, tossing out superstition and those who sell
it along the way.

It wouldn't bother me a bit to see the RCC and other religious
organizations go down the tubes, as well as the astrologers who
make money off of other people by "selling" them some charts or
horoscopes. Same for the fake faith healers, and the phoney psychics
out there. Wouldn't bother me to see them all go away, just like Miss
Cleo seems to have gone away, at least around here.

On to another page...

From:
http://www.lightforthelastdays.co.uk/docs/cults_occult/aquarius.html

"The Daily Mail (29/12/97 - 2/1/98) featured a series of articles by
astrologer Jonathan Cainer, who claims that 'the Age of Aquarius is
truly dawning.' The articles paint a rosy view of the future in
contrast with 'gloomy visions' that the 20th century would end 'in
chaos and collapse'. Cainer believes the 20th Century has 'run out of
steam' and we are now about to create 'a world based on enlightenment,
prosperity, freedom and tolerance.'"

Kinda weird that "running out of steam" would lead to enlightenment,
but then I thought about getting old, and getting wiser in old age,
and moving slower...

"The "face of the man" is the ancient sign of Aquarius, the sign of
the man carrying the water-pot, to which Christ referred when He sent
His disciples into the city, saying: "Behold, when ye are entered into
the city, there shall a man meet you bearing a pitcher of water;
follow him into the house where he entereth in." (St. Luke, XXII, 10.)
This is the zodiacal sign into which we are entering."

I find a problem with this idea, since if Jesus was supposed to be
ushering in the age of Pisces, why would he speak of some water
pitcher and the age of Aquarius?

It then dawned on me that if Jesus was actually an astrologer, and
was trying to martyr himself as the marker for the new age of Pisces,
then he might likely speak in some code to his disciples about
"bearing the cross" or "bearing the crossing over" into some new
astrological age. The part about the water pitcher could have been
a message to any future Christian astrologers who wanted to martyr
themselves as part of some "new age" marker.

[...]

'If the Age of Aquarius is upon us, what have we been living through
until now? The answer is the Age of Pisces. For just as the turning of
the earth has its yearly seasons, it traces, as it travels through the
sky, a much broader cyclic pattern... The Egyptians knew all about
this. So did the Greeks. They called it a 'great year' and they
subdivided it into 12 'great months', each named after a different
Zodiac sign. Each 'great month' lasts roughly 2,160 years. The last,
Pisces, had just begun when Christ was born in Bethlehem. It's
interesting to speculate that it may be no coincidence that the early
Christians used a fish as a symbol of their faith.'"

What I'm interested in is what kind of symbol the people who believe
the "Age of Aquarius" is upon us will use, or are using right now.

Any examples that anyone wants to present?

For Pisces, it was a fish, and for Aquarius, it's supposed to be a
water pitcher or water bearer? Since fish live in water, is there a
connection there?

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound

Raven1
2004-01-03 13:12:34 EST
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:23:04 GMT, Elroy Willis <elo@airmail.net>
wrote:

>Note: This is crossposted to alt.astrology and alt.bible. I'm not
>attempting to start a flame war, but rather to start up a rational
>discussion on the "Age of Aquarius" and how it relates to the Bible
>and astrology.

Err, Elroy, how can we have a rational discussion on inherently
irrational topics?

---

ROT-13 on Email to reply.

Elroy Willis
2004-01-03 13:30:56 EST
raven1 <quoththeraven@nevermore.com> wrote in alt.atheism

> Elroy Willis <elo@airmail.net> wrote:

>> Note: This is crossposted to alt.astrology and alt.bible. I'm not
>> attempting to start a flame war, but rather to start up a rational
>> discussion on the "Age of Aquarius" and how it relates to the Bible
>> and astrology.

> Err, Elroy, how can we have a rational discussion on inherently
> irrational topics?

By each of us refraining from personal insults and trying to keep
things civil. I've started out that way in this thread, and who
chooses to follow me in a rational thread, without any name-calling
or mud-slinging involved, hopefully, will get some good reading and
information from it.

I realize it's probably too much to ask or hope for, but for myself, I
promise to remain civil in my replies in this particular thread that
I started. If I falter from that promise, anyone is free to call me a
liar or hypocrite. That's that best I can do, since I can't control
other people's behaviour.

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound
http://web2.airmail.net/~elo/news

Keera Ann Fox
2004-01-03 13:45:23 EST
Elroy Willis <elo@airmail.net> wrote:

> What I'm interested in is what kind of symbol the people who believe
> the "Age of Aquarius" is upon us will use, or are using right now.

Computers. Specifically the microchip.

> Any examples that anyone wants to present?
>
> For Pisces, it was a fish, and for Aquarius, it's supposed to be a
> water pitcher or water bearer? Since fish live in water, is there a
> connection there?

Trans-Atlantic cable, connecting computers. Fish swim over it.

--
******* Keera in Norway ********
** Think big. Shrink to fit. ***

TCS
2004-01-03 13:58:09 EST
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:45:23 +0100, Keera Ann Fox <see_sig_@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>Elroy Willis <elo@airmail.net> wrote:

>> What I'm interested in is what kind of symbol the people who believe
>> the "Age of Aquarius" is upon us will use, or are using right now.

>Computers. Specifically the microchip.
Sure. Fish. Computers. I can't imagine thinking about one without
thinking about the other. Does your computer smell like a bait shop?

>> Any examples that anyone wants to present?
>>
>> For Pisces, it was a fish, and for Aquarius, it's supposed to be a
>> water pitcher or water bearer? Since fish live in water, is there a
>> connection there?

>Trans-Atlantic cable, connecting computers. Fish swim over it.

Fish also swim over whale shit. Actually the age of aquarius is really about
whale shit!

Your reasoning reminds me very much of a monty python skit.

What also floats in water? very small rocks!

Keera Ann Fox

Nobody can: <http://www.macaquarium.com/macaquarium.htm>

> Does your computer smell like a bait shop?
>
> >> Any examples that anyone wants to present?
> >>
> >> For Pisces, it was a fish, and for Aquarius, it's supposed to be a
> >> water pitcher or water bearer? Since fish live in water, is there a
> >> connection there?
>
> >Trans-Atlantic cable, connecting computers. Fish swim over it.
>
> Fish also swim over whale shit. Actually the age of aquarius is really about
> whale shit!
>
> Your reasoning reminds me very much of a monty python skit.

Good! For a moment there I thought you were taking all of this
seriously.

> What also floats in water? very small rocks!

And dustmite shit floats in air. Neat, huh.

--
******* Keera in Norway ********
** Think big. Shrink to fit. ***
* http://home.online.no/~kafox *
thinkbig_shrinktofit @ yahoo.com

Raven1
2004-01-03 14:17:56 EST
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 12:58:09 -0600, TCS
<The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:45:23 +0100, Keera Ann Fox <see_sig_@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>>Elroy Willis <elo@airmail.net> wrote:
>
>>> What I'm interested in is what kind of symbol the people who believe
>>> the "Age of Aquarius" is upon us will use, or are using right now.
>
>>Computers. Specifically the microchip.
>Sure. Fish. Computers. I can't imagine thinking about one without
>thinking about the other. Does your computer smell like a bait shop?
>

>>> Any examples that anyone wants to present?
>>>
>>> For Pisces, it was a fish, and for Aquarius, it's supposed to be a
>>> water pitcher or water bearer? Since fish live in water, is there a
>>> connection there?
>
>>Trans-Atlantic cable, connecting computers. Fish swim over it.
>
>Fish also swim over whale shit. Actually the age of aquarius is really about
>whale shit!
>
>Your reasoning reminds me very much of a monty python skit.
>
>What also floats in water? very small rocks!

That means if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood!

---

ROT-13 on Email to reply.

Elroy Willis
2004-01-03 14:27:56 EST
TCS <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote in alt.atheism

> Keera Ann Fox <see_sig_@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Elroy Willis <elo@airmail.net> wrote:

>>> What I'm interested in is what kind of symbol the people who believe
>>> the "Age of Aquarius" is upon us will use, or are using right now.

>> Computers. Specifically the microchip.

> Sure. Fish. Computers. I can't imagine thinking about one without
> thinking about the other. Does your computer smell like a bait shop?

The silicon in my computer chips comes from sand on the beach,
or from some artificial sand similar to beach sand, iirc. The ancient
fish climbed out of the ancient waters, onto to the sand-covered
beaches, and eventually evolved into amphibians, and then into
reptiles, and then into mammals, and then into people who can melt
the sand on the beaches where their ancestors came from...

>>> Any examples that anyone wants to present?

>>> For Pisces, it was a fish, and for Aquarius, it's supposed to be a
>>> water pitcher or water bearer? Since fish live in water, is there a
>>> connection there?

>> Trans-Atlantic cable, connecting computers. Fish swim over it.

I find the "water bearer" and pitcher argument pretty flimsy, but I'm
willing to listen to some other opinions on the matter.

> Fish also swim over whale shit. Actually the age of aquarius is really about
> whale shit!

You're going overboard now.. Try to restrain yourself... The
"astrological ages" are a fact, not some make-believe thing.
The people who talk about such ages and when and where they
start or end is what we're talking about here, and is the main focus
of this thread.

> Your reasoning reminds me very much of a monty python skit.

Why?

I've started out honestly here, not trying to make fun of any of the
beliefs, but just trying to understand them and talk about them and
their origins.

> What also floats in water? very small rocks!

Huh?

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound
http://web2.airmail.net/~elo/news

Elroy Willis
2004-01-03 14:41:09 EST
raven1 <quoththeraven@nevermore.com> wrote in alt.atheism

> TCS <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote:
>> Keera Ann Fox <see_sig_@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>>> Computers. Specifically the microchip.

>> Sure. Fish. Computers. I can't imagine thinking about one without
>> thinking about the other. Does your computer smell like a bait shop?

>>> Trans-Atlantic cable, connecting computers. Fish swim over it.

>> Fish also swim over whale shit. Actually the age of aquarius is really about
>> whale shit!

I don't think so. Try to refrain from such jokes if you can... I'm
trying to keep this thread free from joking as much as possible.

>> Your reasoning reminds me very much of a monty python skit.

>> What also floats in water? very small rocks!

> That means if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood!

<glances up and realizes what a pattern-matching-mess it is>

Off to the lake to do some fishing and drinking a few beers, wondering
if anyone has managed to create an "aquarius" beer, and how much
water it would contain vs. how much alcohol...

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound
http://web2.airmail.net/~elo/news

2004-01-03 14:46:13 EST
In article <18pdvv4d8oc2ev0kv3fmjc3cqq5kemq9r1@4ax.com>,
Elroy Willis <elo@airmail.net> wrote:

>Note: This is crossposted to alt.astrology and alt.bible. I'm not
>attempting to start a flame war, but rather to start up a rational
>discussion on the "Age of Aquarius" and how it relates to the Bible
>and astrology.

So you like show tunes?