Bible Discussion: Abortion To Save The Life Of The Mother

Abortion To Save The Life Of The Mother

Snubis
2003-06-24 11:13:23 EST
.is a myth.

Chas. 'Mark' Bee
2003-06-24 11:59:31 EST
Snubis wrote:

> .is a myth.

You're a liar.

Ray Fischer
2003-06-24 21:54:31 EST
Snubis <snubis@yahoo.com> wrote:
>.is a myth.

STUDY REPORTS RISE IN CHILDBIRTH DEATHS
San Jose Mercury News (SJ) - Tuesday, June 11, 1996
By: New York Times

UNITED NATIONS In the first comprehensive survey in a decade to look at
maternal deaths worldwide, UNICEF reported Monday that about 585,000 women die
each year during pregnancy and childbirth, many needlessly.

Millions more, perhaps as many as 18 million women, suffer debilitating
illnesses or injuries that often disable them.

The figures are nearly one-fifth higher than previous estimates of about
500,000 deaths, according to the report by UNICEF, the United Nations Childrens
Fund, which compiled the new data with the World Health Organization and Johns
Hopkins University.

Much of the tragedy is preventable, the study says.

"For the most part, these are the deaths not of the ill, or the very old,
or the very young, but of healthy women in the prime of their lives," says the
report, the Progress of Nations 1996.

Data from the report indicate that one in 13 women in sub-Saharan Africa
and one in 35 in South Asia dies of causes related to pregnancy and childbirth,
according to UNICEF officials, compared with one in 3,200 in Europe, one in
3,300 in the United States, and one in 7,300 in Canada.

The survey faults the shortage of obstetric care in many nations. It calls
for the proper medical training of more midwives who would be better qualified
than traditional birth attendants to assist mothers before, during and after
delivery.

About 75,000 women die annually of botched abortions and another 75,000 of
brain and kidney damage in eclampsia, a disorder that can cause high blood
pressure and convulsions late in pregnancy. At least 100,000 die of blood
poisoning and 40,000 of obstructed labor.

The report on maternal risks, prepared under UNICEF's director, Carol
Bellamy, a former New York City Council president and director of the Peace
Corps who took over the agency last year, is notably stronger in its language
and imagery than many U.N. publications.

The new figures produced in the UNICEF report raised some questions among
experts, who say that getting accurate information on maternal mortality is
notoriously difficult. At Harvard University, Lincoln Chen, professor of
international health and head of the Center for Population and Development
Studies, said that the difference between 500,000 maternal deaths, the
previously accepted figure, and 585,000 or 600,000 may fall within a margin of
error, since all such numbers were "insecure."

--
Ray Fischer
r*r@sonic.net

Omphalos
2003-06-24 22:17:31 EST
On Tue 24 Jun 2003 09:54:31p, rfischer@bolt.sonic.net (Ray Fischer)
wrote in news:bdavcm$8v1$1@bolt.sonic.net:

> Snubis <snubis@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> is a myth.
>

> STUDY REPORTS RISE IN CHILDBIRTH DEATHS
> San Jose Mercury News (SJ) - Tuesday, June 11, 1996
> By: New York Times

[snipped]

There are virtually no conditions that threaten the mother's life in
which abortion is a medically recognized treatment.

--
Windows has crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death

http://31337.pl

Chris
2003-06-25 00:42:03 EST

"Chas. 'Mark' Bee" <c-bee1@uiuc.edu> wrote in message
> Snubis wrote:
> >
> > .is a myth.
>
> You're a liar.

Prove that he does NOT believe that which he claims.

Chris The Liberal
2003-06-25 18:16:17 EST
Omphalos <omphalos@xmsg.com> wrote in message news:<%C7Ka.114459$7n1.2381546@twister.tampabay.rr.com>...
> On Tue 24 Jun 2003 09:54:31p, rfischer@bolt.sonic.net (Ray Fischer)
> wrote in news:bdavcm$8v1$1@bolt.sonic.net:
>
> > Snubis <snubis@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> is a myth.
> >

> > STUDY REPORTS RISE IN CHILDBIRTH DEATHS
> > San Jose Mercury News (SJ) - Tuesday, June 11, 1996
> > By: New York Times
>
> [snipped]
>
> There are virtually no conditions that threaten the mother's life in
> which abortion is a medically recognized treatment.

So I gather you are a Doctor of Medicine and thus an authority
on the matter -- or are you just a B.S. authority???

Ray Fischer
2003-06-25 22:15:01 EST
Chris <reddd@juno.com> wrote:
>"Chas. 'Mark' Bee" <c-bee1@uiuc.edu> wrote in message
>> Snubis wrote:
>> >
>> > .is a myth.
>>
>> You're a liar.
>
>Prove that he does NOT believe that which he claims.

Prove that you're not a child trying to excuse lying.

--
Ray Fischer
r*r@sonic.net

Omphalos
2003-06-25 23:39:04 EST
On Wed 25 Jun 2003 10:15:01p, rfischer@bolt.sonic.net (Ray Fischer)
wrote in news:bddkv4$kpc$1@bolt.sonic.net:

> Chris <reddd@juno.com> wrote:

>>> You're a liar.
>>
>> Prove that he does NOT believe that which he claims.
>
> Prove that you're not a child trying to excuse lying.

Prove that you're not a cockmaster in search of a slave.

--
________
==\ /=================================

http://31337.pl

The Ghost In The Machine
2003-06-26 09:08:04 EST
In talk.abortion, Omphalos
<*s@xmsg.com>
wrote
on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:17:31 GMT
<%C7Ka.114459$7n1.2381546@twister.tampabay.rr.com>:
> On Tue 24 Jun 2003 09:54:31p, rfischer@bolt.sonic.net (Ray Fischer)
> wrote in news:bdavcm$8v1$1@bolt.sonic.net:
>
>> Snubis <snubis@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> is a myth.
>>

>> STUDY REPORTS RISE IN CHILDBIRTH DEATHS
>> San Jose Mercury News (SJ) - Tuesday, June 11, 1996
>> By: New York Times
>
> [snipped]
>
> There are virtually no conditions that threaten the mother's life in
> which abortion is a medically recognized treatment.

Look up "ectopic pregnancy" and get back to us. :-)

ObMonkeyInvaders: That's not a monkey. OK, neither is mine. :-)
ObBible: Written by monkeys, AFAICT.
ObRepublican: *Are* monkeys, AFAICT.

:-)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.

Omphalos_=3Comph=E2los=40xmsg=2Ecom=3E?=
2003-06-26 09:42:24 EST
On Thu 26 Jun 2003 09:08:04a, you wrote in alt.space.monkey.invaders:

> In talk.abortion, Omphalos
> <omphalos@xmsg.com>
> wrote
> on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:17:31 GMT
> <%C7Ka.114459$7n1.2381546@twister.tampabay.rr.com>:
>> On Tue 24 Jun 2003 09:54:31p, rfischer@bolt.sonic.net (Ray Fischer)
>> wrote in news:bdavcm$8v1$1@bolt.sonic.net:

>>> STUDY REPORTS RISE IN CHILDBIRTH DEATHS
>>> San Jose Mercury News (SJ) - Tuesday, June 11, 1996
>>> By: New York Times
>>
>> [snipped]
>>
>> There are virtually no conditions that threaten the mother's life
>> in which abortion is a medically recognized treatment.
>>

> Look up "ectopic pregnancy" and get back to us. :-)

Fool! In cases such as ectopic pregnancies, the surgery performed is
directed towards removing the fallopian tubes and the unborn child is
indirectly killed. In cases where a mother's life is danger, abortion
is not the treatment. The death of the baby is not sought out.

"As obstetricians and gynaecologists we affirm that there are no
medical circumstances justifying direct abortion, that is,
circumstances in which the life of a mother may only be saved by
directly terminating the life of her unborn child."

This is the joint opinion of the four leading experts in Ireland:
Professor John Bonnar, Head of the Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
at Trinity College, Dublin; Kieran O'Driscoll, Professor of Obstetrics
and Gynaecology at University College, Dublin; Eamonn O\ufffdDwyer,
Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at University College, Galway;
and Julia Vaughan, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist.

It is an opinion shared and supported by the Irish Medical Council and
the Irish Medical Organisation.

And Dr.C.Everett Koop, the former Surgeon General of the United
States, says that "protection of the life of the mother as an excuse
for an abortion is a smoke screen. In my thirty six years in
paediatric surgery I have never known one instance where the child had
to be aborted to save the mother's life ...".

With more than 36,000 births per annum between them, the three Dublin
maternity hospitals had only three deaths of pregnant patients in the
past four years. All three died of complications caused by heart
disease. Pregnancy did not cause or aggravate their conditions and
abortion would not have saved the life of any of these expecting
mothers.

On a side note, women who have recieved an abortion are 50% more
likely to have an ectopic pregnancy.

--
________

http://31337.pl