Bible Discussion: Diffferences Between Catholic & Protestant Bibles

Diffferences Between Catholic & Protestant Bibles

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Next  (First | Last)

Jesse Gomez
2003-11-27 04:12:25 EST
Besides the difference of numbers of books
is there any other difference between Catholic
and Protestant Bibles?

I. A serious difference is in the accuracy of translation.

a) Protestant preachers and Bishops have written volumes to point
out the errors in the King James Version and the Revised Version.

b) In a convention of ministers at St. Louis, Missouri, some years ago,
a Presbyterian minister urged the necessity of a new translation of
the Protestant Bible and held that there were no less than 30,000
errors.

c) Another difference is the titles of books:

1) "Canticle of Canticles" for "Solomon's Song"
2) "Apocalypse" for "Book of Revelation"
3) "First and Second Kings" for "First and Second Samuel" etc.

II. Proofs from the words of the Protestants themselves :

In "History of Literature" by Hallam:

"The translation of the Old and New Testaments by Luther is more
renowned for the purity of his German idiom than for it's adherence
to the original text. Simon has charged him with ignorance of Hebrew
and when we consider how late he came to a knowledge of that or the
Greek language, and the multiplicity of his employments, it may be
believed that his knowledge of them was far from extensive."

The Rev. Dr. Aked, a Baptist minister, writing in
"Appleton's Magazine" September 1908, said:

"In the pages of the Protestant Version of the Bible are to be found
historical errors, arithmetical mistakes, inconsistencies and manifold
contradictions, and, what is far worse, one finds that the most horrible
crimes are committed by men who plea, 'God said,' in justification of
their terrible misdeeds. Moreover, the English Bible is a version of
a version which is a translation of a translation. It has come down
through Hebrew, Greek and Latin into English. In all it's earlier stages
it was copied by hand from one manuscript to another by different
writers, a process certain to result in many mistakes."

The Rev. O.J. Nelson, of Bellingham, Washington says:

"Strictly speaking, none but the Catholic has an infallible Bible and
none but the Catholic can be rightly called an orthodox Christian....
There is only 1 Christian Church of real and consistent authority and
that is the Catholic Church."

Dr De Costa said:

"The Church of Rome stands before the English-speaking world and
Protestants everywhere as the solitary defender of the Bible in it's
integrity and entirety."

The Protestant Bible Critic, George Campbell says:

"The Vulgate may be pronounced, on the whole, a good and faithful
version."

Charles Butler, in his "Horae Biblicae" says:

"For the sacred writings which contain the Word of God, and for the
traditions of the wise and good respecting it, we are almost wholly
indebted, under Providence, to the zeal and exertion of the priests and
the monks of the Church of Rome."

Taken from: Q&A Bible Quizzes to a Street Preacher, (pp 18, 31-32)
Authored by: Fr. Chas. M. Carty & Rev. Dr. L. Rumble, M.S.C.
Published by: www.TanBooks.com
Copyright: Original 1976

Libertarius
2003-11-27 11:41:35 EST
===>Ancient history, Jesse.

Both Catholics AND Protestants have published
revised translations since the ones you are referring to.
See the NEW AMERICAN BIBLE, the
NEW ENGLISH BIBLE, the WORLD ENGLISH
BIBLE, etc. There is even "YOUNG'S LITERAL".
What you don't realize is there are no originals,
and the manuscripts available are not consistent with one
another. The best that translators can do is to use the
most consistent language and footnote the variant
readings, of which there are many.

Libertarius
=============

Jesse Gomez wrote:

> [...]
> that is the Catholic Church."
>
> Dr De Costa said:
>
> "The Church of Rome stands before the English-speaking world and
> Protestants everywhere as the solitary defender of the Bible in it's
> integrity and entirety."
>
> The Protestant Bible Critic, George Campbell says:
>
> "The Vulgate may be pronounced, on the whole, a good and faithful
> version."
>
> Charles Butler, in his "Horae Biblicae" says:
>
> "For the sacred writings which contain the Word of God, and for the
> traditions of the wise and good respecting it, we are almost wholly
> indebted, under Providence, to the zeal and exertion of the priests and
> the monks of the Church of Rome."
>
> Taken from: Q&A Bible Quizzes to a Street Preacher, (pp 18, 31-32)
> Authored by: Fr. Chas. M. Carty & Rev. Dr. L. Rumble, M.S.C.

Michael Rippie
2003-11-28 01:36:07 EST
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:41:35 -0700, Libertarius
<*s@Nothing_But_The_Truth.net> wrote:

>The best that translators can do is Guess, and fabracate.

.

**************************
A preacher is the blind
leading the blind...

The Last Church
http://www.thelastchurch.org
m*l@thelastchurch.org

alt.religion.thelastchurch
alt.religion.the-last-church

Jesse Gomez
2003-11-29 13:21:29 EST
In truth,

There is one correct Bible, the Douay Rheims which is an English
translation of the Latin Vulgate which was scripted word for word by the
highly skilled St Jerome. He was a scholar in Greek and Hebrew. The Douay
Rheims is the authorized copy of the Traditional Catholic Church but not the
Novus Ordo.

Jesse

--
Jesse Gomez Jr
In Beautiful Norway
"Libertarius" <Libertarius@Nothing_But_The_Truth.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > that is the Catholic Church."
> >
> > Dr De Costa said:
> >
> > "The Church of Rome stands before the English-speaking world and
> > Protestants everywhere as the solitary defender of the Bible in it's
> > integrity and entirety."
> >
> > The Protestant Bible Critic, George Campbell says:
> >
> > "The Vulgate may be pronounced, on the whole, a good and faithful
> > version."
> >
> > Charles Butler, in his "Horae Biblicae" says:
> >
> > "For the sacred writings which contain the Word of God, and for the
> > traditions of the wise and good respecting it, we are almost wholly
> > indebted, under Providence, to the zeal and exertion of the priests and
> > the monks of the Church of Rome."
> >
> > Taken from: Q&A Bible Quizzes to a Street Preacher, (pp 18, 31-32)
> > Authored by: Fr. Chas. M. Carty & Rev. Dr. L. Rumble, M.S.C.

Andrew
2003-11-29 23:05:19 EST

"Jesse Gomez" wrote:
> In truth,
>

> There is one correct Bible, the Douay Rheims which is an English
> translation of the Latin Vulgate which was scripted word for word by the
> highly skilled St Jerome. He was a scholar in Greek and Hebrew. The Douay
> Rheims is the authorized copy of the Traditional Catholic Church but not the
> Novus Ordo.

Whatever Bible you use.. there are serious differences between the ten commandments
of the Scriptures and the ten commandments in the catechisms of the Catholic Church.

Here are God's ten commandments, according to the Douay Rheims translation; do you
notice the differences from what is in your catechism?? ... and if so, who will you obey?

Exodus 20:1-17 Douay Rheims Translation:

~~The Ten Commandments~~

20:1. And the Lord spoke all these words:

20:2. I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the
land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

20:3. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

20:4. Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor
the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in
the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the
waters under the earth.

A graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing, etc... All
such images, or likenesses, are forbidden by this
commandment, as are made to be adored and served; according
to that which immediately follows, thou shalt not adore
them, nor serve them. That is, all such as are designed for
idols or image-gods, or are worshipped with divine honour.
But otherwise images, pictures, or representations, even in
the house of God, and in the very sanctuary so far from
being forbidden, are expressly authorized by the word of
God. See Ex. 25.15, and etc.; chap. 38.7; Num. 21.8, 9; 1
Chron. or Paralip. 28.18, 19; 2 Chron. or Paralip. 3.10.

20:5. Thou shalt not adore them, nor serve them: I am the
Lord thy God, mighty, jealous, visiting the iniquity of the
fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth
generation of them that hate me:

20:6. And shewing mercy unto thousands to them that love
me, and keep my commandments.

20:7. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in
vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that shall
take the name of the Lord his God in vain.

20:8. Remember that thou keep holy the sabbath day.

20:9. Six days shalt thou labour, and shalt do all thy
works.

20:10. But on the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord
thy God: thou shalt do no work on it, thou nor thy son, nor
thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor
thy beast, nor the stranger that is within thy gates.

20:11. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and
the sea, and all things that are in them, and rested on the
seventh day: therefore the Lord blessed the seventh day,
and sanctified it.

20:12. Honour thy father and thy mother, that thou mayst be
longlived upon the land which the Lord thy God will give
thee.

20:13. Thou shalt not kill.

20:14. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

20:15. Thou shalt not steal.

20:16. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy
neighbour.

20:17. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; neither
shalt thou desire his wife, nor his servant, nor his
handmaid, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is
his.

Libertarius
2003-11-29 23:27:02 EST

Jesse Gomez wrote:

> In truth,
>
> There is one correct Bible, the Douay Rheims which is an English
> translation of the Latin Vulgate which was scripted word for word by the
> highly skilled St Jerome. He was a scholar in Greek and Hebrew. The Douay
> Rheims is the authorized copy of the Traditional Catholic Church but not the
> Novus Ordo.
>
> Jesse

===>You sound as bad as the "KJV only" fundamentalist Protestants!
Actually the New American Bible is a lot better than either. -- L.

> [...]
> > > that is the Catholic Church."
> > >
> > > Dr De Costa said:
> > >
> > > "The Church of Rome stands before the English-speaking world and
> > > Protestants everywhere as the solitary defender of the Bible in it's
> > > integrity and entirety."
> > >
> > > The Protestant Bible Critic, George Campbell says:
> > >
> > > "The Vulgate may be pronounced, on the whole, a good and faithful
> > > version."
> > >
> > > Charles Butler, in his "Horae Biblicae" says:
> > >
> > > "For the sacred writings which contain the Word of God, and for the
> > > traditions of the wise and good respecting it, we are almost wholly
> > > indebted, under Providence, to the zeal and exertion of the priests and
> > > the monks of the Church of Rome."
> > >
> > > Taken from: Q&A Bible Quizzes to a Street Preacher, (pp 18, 31-32)
> > > Authored by: Fr. Chas. M. Carty & Rev. Dr. L. Rumble, M.S.C.

Libertarius
2003-11-29 23:31:01 EST

Andrew wrote:

> "Jesse Gomez" wrote:
> > In truth,
> >

> > There is one correct Bible, the Douay Rheims which is an English
> > translation of the Latin Vulgate which was scripted word for word by the
> > highly skilled St Jerome. He was a scholar in Greek and Hebrew. The Douay
> > Rheims is the authorized copy of the Traditional Catholic Church but not the
> > Novus Ordo.
>
> Whatever Bible you use.. there are serious differences between the ten commandments
> of the Scriptures and the ten commandments in the catechisms of the Catholic Church.

===>How is that relevant?
Or are you just pushing your SDA bias?

> Here are God's ten commandments,

===>They are commandments ATTRIBUTED TO
the god YHWH, but obviously not that literally important,
since the Pentateuch itself presents alternate versions of
it, especially with regards the Sabbath. -- L.

Andrew
2003-11-30 12:18:25 EST
"Libertarius" wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
> > "Jesse Gomez" wrote:
> > > In truth,
> > >
> > > There is one correct Bible, the Douay Rheims which is an English
> > > translation of the Latin Vulgate which was scripted word for word by the
> > > highly skilled St Jerome. He was a scholar in Greek and Hebrew. The Douay
> > > Rheims is the authorized copy of the Traditional Catholic Church but not the
> > > Novus Ordo.
> >
> > Whatever Bible you use.. there are serious differences between the ten commandments
> > of the Scriptures and the ten commandments in the catechisms of the Catholic Church.
>
> ===>How is that relevant?

It is relevant for Jesse and any other devout Catholic who wishes to live in harmony with God.

> > Here are God's ten commandments,
>
> ===>They are commandments ATTRIBUTED TO
> the god YHWH, but obviously not that literally important,

I would think they would be of paramount importance since they are the only thing
that has been given to mankind that was written specifically by the Creator Himself.

Andrew

Libertarius
2003-11-30 18:01:51 EST

Andrew wrote:

> "Libertarius" wrote:
> >
> > Andrew wrote:

> > > Whatever Bible you use.. there are serious differences between the ten commandments
> > > of the Scriptures and the ten commandments in the catechisms of the Catholic Church.
> >
> > ===>How is that relevant?
>
> It is relevant for Jesse and any other devout Catholic who wishes to live in harmony with God.

===>It is NOT relevant to the subject of this thread, which is
"Differences between Catholic & Protestant Bibles".
Those differences are what you are hiding from by bringing
up the issue of "catechisms".
Your Protestant "Bible" is an imitation of the REAL "Bible",
with many components missing from it!

> > > Here are God's ten commandments,
> >
> > ===>They are commandments ATTRIBUTED TO
> > the god YHWH, but obviously not that literally important,
>
> I would think they would be of paramount importance since they are the only thing
> that has been given to mankind that was written specifically by the Creator Himself.

===>How did your "creator" forget what "was written specifically
by the Creator Himself" when, in the repeat version of the Ten
Commandments, "he" wrote:

"Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy,
as the LORD your God commanded you.
Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD
your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your
son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant,
nor your female servant, nor your ox, nor your
donkey, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger
who is within your gates, that your male servant
and your female servant may rest as well as you.
And remember that you were a slave in the land of
Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from
there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm;
therefore the LORD your God commanded you to
keep the Sabbath day."

Since when were YOU or any GENTILES slaves
"in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought
you out"????
Does this second version not imply that this
commandment pertains to the people of Israel only? -- L.

Andrew
2003-11-30 20:14:49 EST
"Libertarius" wrote:

> Your Protestant "Bible" is an imitation of the REAL "Bible",
> with many components missing from it!

Your catechism gives an imitation of the REAL "Ten Commandments",
with many components missing from it... even if you use a Catholic Bible!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Next  (First | Last)