Bible Discussion: Influence & Effect

Influence & Effect

IknowHimDoYou
2003-11-15 12:20:28 EST
Influence & Effect

A. J. Schmidt in his "Under the Influence" describes what has been the
influence and effect of Christianity on the United States and other
countries:

"In whatever nations Christianity has had a prominent presence, there has
been marked improvement in liberty and justice as opposed to societies
that have been, or continue to be, dominated by non-Christian religions.
Nowhere has there been a better example of liberty and justice than in
the United States of America. Why? American liberty and justice has been
profoundly influnced by Christian principles. Alexis de Tocqueville
recongnized the connection when he said, "There is no country in the world
where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of
men than in America." Or as Kevin Abrams, a Jewish author, has recently
noted, "The American civilization rests on the basic principles of
Christian morality which have their origin in the Hebrew Scriptures."

"in short, the great emphasis on liberty and justice in the United States
is not mere happenstance. It exists because the American architects of
liberty and justice were influenced to a large degree by Christianity's
biblical values and beliefs. Thus, as Abrams asserts, "Remove the Bible
as the constellation that guides the American Ship of State and the whole
edifice of American civilization collapses." And regarding Western
countries outside of he United States, the historian Carlton Heyes has
remarked, "Wherever Christian ideals have been generally accepted and
their practice sincerely attempted, there is a dynamic liberty; and
wherever Christianity had been ignored or rejected, persecuted or chained
to the state, there is tyanny."

When you read many of the posts here from those who ridicule and make fun
of Christ and His Word remember who drives them and for what purpose.
They have nothing to offer in place of Christianity except tyranny and
chaos(e.g., Afganastan, Iraq, France, Germany, Russia, China).

David Jensen
2003-11-15 13:11:29 EST
In alt.talk.creationism, IknowHim@leavingsoon.com (IknowHimDoYou) wrote
in <IknowHim-1511030920280001@pm3-24.kalama.com>:
>Influence & Effect
>
>A. J. Schmidt in his "Under the Influence" describes what has been the
>influence and effect of Christianity on the United States and other
>countries:
>
>"In whatever nations Christianity has had a prominent presence, there has
>been marked improvement in liberty and justice as opposed to societies
>that have been, or continue to be, dominated by non-Christian religions.
>Nowhere has there been a better example of liberty and justice than in
>the United States of America. Why? American liberty and justice has been
>profoundly influnced by Christian principles. Alexis de Tocqueville
>recongnized the connection when he said, "There is no country in the world
>where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of
>men than in America." Or as Kevin Abrams, a Jewish author, has recently
>noted, "The American civilization rests on the basic principles of
>Christian morality which have their origin in the Hebrew Scriptures."
>
>"in short, the great emphasis on liberty and justice in the United States
>is not mere happenstance. It exists because the American architects of
>liberty and justice were influenced to a large degree by Christianity's
>biblical values and beliefs. Thus, as Abrams asserts, "Remove the Bible
>as the constellation that guides the American Ship of State and the whole
>edifice of American civilization collapses." And regarding Western
>countries outside of he United States, the historian Carlton Heyes has
>remarked, "Wherever Christian ideals have been generally accepted and
>their practice sincerely attempted, there is a dynamic liberty; and
>wherever Christianity had been ignored or rejected, persecuted or chained
>to the state, there is tyanny."
>
>When you read many of the posts here from those who ridicule and make fun
>of Christ and His Word remember who drives them and for what purpose.
>They have nothing to offer in place of Christianity except tyranny and
>chaos(e.g., Afganastan, Iraq, France, Germany, Russia, China).

Once again, you confuse yourself with Jesus. Hardly anyone here in any
of these newsgroups ridicules Christ or His Word. We do ridicule the
lies you tell. Try to learn the difference.

Peter Legge
2003-11-15 18:15:33 EST

"IknowHimDoYou" <IknowHim@leavingsoon.com> wrote in message
> Influence & Effect
>
> A. J. Schmidt in his "Under the Influence" describes what has been the
> influence and effect of Christianity on the United States and other
> countries:
>
> "In whatever nations Christianity has had a prominent presence, there has
> been marked improvement in liberty and justice as opposed to societies
> that have been, or continue to be, dominated by non-Christian religions.
> Nowhere has there been a better example of liberty and justice than in
> the United States of America. Why? American liberty and justice has been
> profoundly influnced by Christian principles. Alexis de Tocqueville
> recongnized the connection when he said, "There is no country in the world
> where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of
> men than in America." Or as Kevin Abrams, a Jewish author, has recently
> noted, "The American civilization rests on the basic principles of
> Christian morality which have their origin in the Hebrew Scriptures."

What further proof of evidence does this newsgroup need when such
positive changes for good to a country are brought about by Christian
influence.
Britain herself experienced enhancements in her legal justice system, her
wealth and her influence worldwide when christianity became the major
guide for every sphere of life in Queen Victoria's great and powerful reign.
> "in short, the great emphasis on liberty and justice in the United States
> is not mere happenstance. It exists because the American architects of
> liberty and justice were influenced to a large degree by Christianity's
> biblical values and beliefs. Thus, as Abrams asserts, "Remove the Bible
> as the constellation that guides the American Ship of State and the whole
> edifice of American civilization collapses." And regarding Western
> countries outside of he United States, the historian Carlton Heyes has
> remarked, "Wherever Christian ideals have been generally accepted and
> their practice sincerely attempted, there is a dynamic liberty; and
> wherever Christianity had been ignored or rejected, persecuted or chained
> to the state, there is tyanny."
>
> When you read many of the posts here from those who ridicule and make fun
> of Christ and His Word remember who drives them and for what purpose.
> They have nothing to offer in place of Christianity except tyranny and
> chaos(e.g., Afganastan, Iraq, France, Germany, Russia, China).

Steven J.
2003-11-15 23:29:31 EST

"peter legge" <peter.legge@btinternet.com> wrote in message

-- [snip]

> What further proof of evidence does this newsgroup need when such
> positive changes for good to a country are brought about by Christian
> influence.
> Britain herself experienced enhancements in her legal justice system,
her
> wealth and her influence worldwide when christianity became the major
> guide for every sphere of life in Queen Victoria's great and powerful
reign.

Queen Victoria's great and powerful reign was, of course, when common
descent with modification displaced special creation in biology. Evidently
the acceptance of Christianity as a guide in every sphere of life leads
straight to evolutionary theory.

Or would that be another example of the _post hoc ergo propter hoc_ ("B
happened after A, therefore A caused B") fallacy?

- [snip]

-- Steven J.

David Jensen
2003-11-16 00:40:19 EST
In alt.talk.creationism, "peter legge" <peter.legge@btinternet.com>
wrote in <bp6c2k$nf$1@sparta.btinternet.com>:

>"IknowHimDoYou" <IknowHim@leavingsoon.com> wrote in message
>> Influence & Effect
>>
>> A. J. Schmidt in his "Under the Influence" describes what has been the
>> influence and effect of Christianity on the United States and other
>> countries:
>>
>> "In whatever nations Christianity has had a prominent presence, there has
>> been marked improvement in liberty and justice as opposed to societies
>> that have been, or continue to be, dominated by non-Christian religions.
>> Nowhere has there been a better example of liberty and justice than in
>> the United States of America. Why? American liberty and justice has been
>> profoundly influnced by Christian principles. Alexis de Tocqueville
>> recongnized the connection when he said, "There is no country in the world
>> where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of
>> men than in America." Or as Kevin Abrams, a Jewish author, has recently
>> noted, "The American civilization rests on the basic principles of
>> Christian morality which have their origin in the Hebrew Scriptures."
>
>What further proof of evidence does this newsgroup need when such
>positive changes for good to a country are brought about by Christian
>influence.

It would be better if it were actual evidence rather than assertions
that completely ignore the evidence.

> Britain herself experienced enhancements in her legal justice system, her
>wealth and her influence worldwide when christianity became the major
>guide for every sphere of life in Queen Victoria's great and powerful reign.

Did it?

>> "in short, the great emphasis on liberty and justice in the United States
>> is not mere happenstance. It exists because the American architects of
>> liberty and justice were influenced to a large degree by Christianity's
>> biblical values and beliefs. Thus, as Abrams asserts, "Remove the Bible
>> as the constellation that guides the American Ship of State and the whole
>> edifice of American civilization collapses." And regarding Western
>> countries outside of he United States, the historian Carlton Heyes has
>> remarked, "Wherever Christian ideals have been generally accepted and
>> their practice sincerely attempted, there is a dynamic liberty; and
>> wherever Christianity had been ignored or rejected, persecuted or chained
>> to the state, there is tyanny."
>>
>> When you read many of the posts here from those who ridicule and make fun
>> of Christ and His Word remember who drives them and for what purpose.
>> They have nothing to offer in place of Christianity except tyranny and
>> chaos(e.g., Afganastan, Iraq, France, Germany, Russia, China).

Thore Schmechtig
2003-11-16 02:18:30 EST
> When you read many of the posts here from those who ridicule and make fun
> of Christ and His Word remember who drives them and for what purpose.

The only ones who ridicule Christ as best they could are you and your
fundie friends. Because of your brainless propaganda babbles, every
non-christian dropping in here will _have_ to think that christians are
all dangerous nutcases.

> They have nothing to offer in place of Christianity except tyranny and
> chaos(e.g., Afganastan, Iraq, France, Germany, Russia, China).

Which one of your Führers told you that? Anyway, he is grossly
misinformed. Show us the tyranny in France in Germany RIGHT NOW or
consider yourself proven wrong yet again.

UNWRITTEN RULES OF FUNDAMENTALISM

1. "I'm right and you are wrong".
2. Never admit that you are wrong, even if you really are.
3. When you have nothing to say, hurl insults.
4. Regard and portray your own violence, whether physical,
psychological,
or verbal, at all times as defensive
5. Be prepared at all times to lie and bluster, particularly when backed
into a corner in an argument
6. Never accept responsibility for any mess you have personally caused.
7. When you are forced to admit to an error, regard the whole process of
error and correction as part of God's personal plan for you and not as a
something for which you should apologise retract or make amends except
verbally and secretly to God himself
8. Always see yourself and you personal actions as part of God's plans
for
the world. Recognise that even your errors are just part of Gods will
for
the betterment of mankind.
9.Profess humility but avoid the actual experience of it.
10.Refuse to take in information that differs from your own view and
oppose all such information through classification of such information
in
a derogatory and simplistic manner(eg by categorising it as left wing
propaganda)
11.Refuse to accept that truth is not black and white; that reality is
complex and there are shades of grey
12.Refuse to forgive anyone else for anything unless you purport to
forgive on behalf of other people unconnected with you for whom you
don't
have that right anyhow.

Thore Schmechtig
2003-11-16 02:20:18 EST
> What further proof of evidence does this newsgroup need when such
> positive changes for good to a country are brought about by Christian
> influence.

Try this one:
Your country started out with genocide and slavery. The more SECULAR
your government got, the more freedom you were able to enjoy. Tough
luck for you - reality proves you wrong again.

TOP TEN SIGNS YOU'RE A (CHRISTIAN) FUNDAMENTALIST

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of
gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when
someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists
say that people evolved from other life forms, but you
have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were
created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem
believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the
"atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even
flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all
the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the
elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" --
including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and
Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have
no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated
Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed,
came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little
loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth
(4.55 billion years), but you find nothing wrong with
believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting
in their tents and guessing that Earth is a couple of
generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet
with the exception of those who share your beliefs --
though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend
Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet
consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and
physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot
rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be
all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it
comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be
evidence that prayer works. And you think that the
remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and
agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church
history - but still call yourself a Christian.

Jonathan H
2003-11-16 09:32:27 EST

"IknowHimDoYou" <IknowHim@leavingsoon.com> wrote in message
> Influence & Effect
>
> A. J. Schmidt in his "Under the Influence" describes what has been the
> influence and effect of Christianity on the United States and other
> countries:
>
> "In whatever nations Christianity has had a prominent presence, there has
> been marked improvement in liberty and justice as opposed to societies
> that have been, or continue to be, dominated by non-Christian religions.
> Nowhere has there been a better example of liberty and justice than in
> the United States of America. Why? American liberty and justice has been
> profoundly influnced by Christian principles. Alexis de Tocqueville
> recongnized the connection when he said, "There is no country in the world
> where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of
> men than in America." Or as Kevin Abrams, a Jewish author, has recently
> noted, "The American civilization rests on the basic principles of
> Christian morality which have their origin in the Hebrew Scriptures."
>
> "in short, the great emphasis on liberty and justice in the United States
> is not mere happenstance. It exists because the American architects of
> liberty and justice were influenced to a large degree by Christianity's
> biblical values and beliefs. Thus, as Abrams asserts, "Remove the Bible
> as the constellation that guides the American Ship of State and the whole
> edifice of American civilization collapses." And regarding Western
> countries outside of he United States, the historian Carlton Heyes has
> remarked, "Wherever Christian ideals have been generally accepted and
> their practice sincerely attempted, there is a dynamic liberty; and
> wherever Christianity had been ignored or rejected, persecuted or chained
> to the state, there is tyanny."
>
> When you read many of the posts here from those who ridicule and make fun
> of Christ and His Word remember who drives them and for what purpose.
> They have nothing to offer in place of Christianity except tyranny and
> chaos(e.g., Afganastan, Iraq, France, Germany, Russia, China).

sure. that is why the British came over here, killed millions of Indians in
establishing their new homefront, then made up rules that said all men are
created equal. you know, except for Indians, nigger, and women. why should
they be created equal? God made corn-feed blond hair blue eyed Adam in his
own image. then he gave him a pet made from his own rib. and the rest of
these different "coloured" people must be savages that we had moral
authority to kill, anyways. right?(wing fundy bullshit). oh yeah. and
Hitler was a Christian. Fascism is an extreme of the right, not the left.
Big business + big church + big government = numb consumers.

Elmer Bataitis
2003-11-16 12:08:46 EST
IknowNothingDoYou wrote:

> "In whatever nations Christianity has had a prominent presence, there has
> been marked improvement in liberty and justice as opposed to societies
> that have been, or continue to be, dominated by non-Christian religions.

Japan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Germany, Russia, Italy, Spain.
Pick one and explain how it's Christian liberty and justice has exceeded
any of the others over the past 100 years.

Elmer Bataitis “Hot dog! Smooch city here I come!”
Planetech Services -Hobbes
585-442-2884
"...proudly wearing and displaying, as a badge of honor, the
straight jacket of conventional thought."

Elmer Bataitis
2003-11-16 12:30:49 EST
> "IknowHimDoYou" <IknowHim@leavingsoon.com> wrote in message

> Alexis de Tocqueville
> > recongnized the connection when he said, "There is no country in the world
> > where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of
> > men than in America."

Alexis was writting in the 1830's when the US was barely a third world
nation. America is now the only world superpower. Wanna compare the
percentage of Christians and atheists in the 1830 census to the
percentages now? ;-)