Bible Discussion: Personal Testimony - Why I Say Religion Is A Very Dangerous Thing

Personal Testimony - Why I Say Religion Is A Very Dangerous Thing

Sharon
2003-10-25 15:59:18 EST
Linked at the "What's New" page
http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/whats_new.html
"Worldwide Church of God "Prophecies" and Neo-Nazis that Kill"
(URL is quite long and breaks up at the end, if I send it through on email,
and probably will on usenet, if posted in plain text format)

I dug up some of the old newspaper articles I had saved, scanned and used
them in the testimony about the WWCG, and its awful and evil teachings.

or, Article listed and linked on
http://www.fundamentalists-anonymous.org/ home page.

I can not think of any religious group that is exempt from their own set of
evil doctrines that hurt people... the Unitarians?

Sharon

Craig Chilton
2003-10-26 09:43:47 EST
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:59:18 -0400,
Sharon wrote:

>Linked at the "What's New" page
>http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/whats_new.html
>
> "Worldwide Church of God "Prophecies" and Neo-Nazis that Kill"
> (URL is quite long and breaks up at the end, if I send it through on email,
> and probably will on usenet, if posted in plain text format)
>
> I dug up some of the old newspaper articles I had saved, scanned
> and used them in the testimony about the WWCG, and its awful and
> evil teachings.

OOOPS!! So much for Sharon! The Worldwide Church of God...
formerly the Radio Church of God, started and founded by the late
Herbert W. Armstrong, actually BELIEVES that any person who claims
that that sect is "evil" has committed the unpardonable sin. Fact!
They really DO!

Your one-way Down elevator awaits, Sharon... :)

N*@localnet.com
2003-10-26 10:17:06 EST
Craig Chilton wrote:
> Sharon wrote:
> > I dug up some of the old newspaper articles I had saved, scanned
> > and used them in the testimony about the WWCG, and its awful and
> > evil teachings.

Old articles? How about something current?

> OOOPS!! So much for Sharon! The Worldwide Church of God...
> formerly the Radio Church of God, started and founded by the late
> Herbert W. Armstrong, actually BELIEVES that any person who claims
> that that sect is "evil" has committed the unpardonable sin. Fact!
> They really DO!

That is not a fact.
<http://www.wcg.org/lit/God/unpardon.htm> mentions nothing about
dissing the WCG.

Fact: They really don't.

N*@localnet.com
2003-10-26 10:24:23 EST
Craig Chilton wrote:
> Fact!
http://www.wcg.org/lit/alpha.htm

Craig Chilton
2003-10-26 11:44:10 EST
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:17:06 -0500,
"No Ham" <noham@localnet.com> wrote:
> Craig Chilton <xanadu222@mchsi.com> wrote:
>> Sharon wrote:

>>> I dug up some of the old newspaper articles I had saved, scanned
>>> and used them in the testimony about the WWCG, and its awful and
>>> evil teachings.

> Old articles? How about something current?

>> OOOPS!! So much for Sharon! The Worldwide Church of God...
>> formerly the Radio Church of God, started and founded by the late
>> Herbert W. Armstrong, actually BELIEVES that any person who claims
>> that that sect is "evil" has committed the unpardonable sin. Fact!
>> They really DO!

> That is not a fact.
>
><http://www.wcg.org/lit/God/unpardon.htm>
>
> ...mentions nothing about dissing the WCG.
>
> Fact: They really don't.

From your church's website:

http://www.wcg.org/lit/aboutus/history.htm

...this reference to these books:

Walter Martin, "Kingdom of the Cults." Bethany House, 1998.
Earlier editions of this book were written before most of our
doctrinal changes were made. The 1998 edition has an appendix
documenting our transition into orthodoxy.

And...

Ruth Tucker, "From the Fringe to the Fold: How the Worldwide
Church of God Discovered the Plain Truth of the Gospel."
Christianity Today, July 15, 1996.

It was in 1968, on the Ambassador College campus in pasadena, that I
was having a conversation with one of the leaders of the church (and
later that same day, THE leader of it, Herbert W. Armstrong, invited my
wife and I to attend a basketball game with him.

In the course of that first conversation, I was critical at one point
of one of the church's dogmas, and suggested that perhaps the origin
of that particular dogma might NOT be of God. He blanched, and told
me that I was treading dangerously close to the Lake of Fire with my
statement. And pointed out that if a person were to attribute something
that is of god to be instead of the devil, THAT would be a commission of
the unpardonable sin. I've always remembered that, and even though I
wasn't a member of the WWCG, it made an impression on me. Just in
case their interpretations were correct, I've been more careful than
before when criticizing churches. Whatever else i may have had to say
about their doctrines/dogmas, suggesting that they are of satanic origin
is something that I have consciously AVOIDED.

The leader with whom I was talking that day had an unusual last
name (as does your current leader, but it wasn't him). If I heard or
saw it, I'd recognize it immediately. (I **think** his last name started
with "H.")

I find the comment about the above-cited book by Walter Martin
to be very interesting.

Again: "Earlier editions of this book were written before most of
our doctrinal changes were made. The 1998 edition has
an appendix documenting our transition into orthodoxy."

Could this apparent change in the interpretation of the unpardonable
sin be one of those doctrinal changes... made AFTER that conversation
I had in 1968?

Looking over the website, it appears that the changes in this
denomination have been nothing short of PROFOUND! The huge
literature list:

http://www.wcg.org/lit/alpha.htm

...appears to have little, if any, of the more arcane topics I observed
in the articles in the '50s and '60s "Good News" magazine, which then
was for members only, but to which I was given access BY a member.

Back then, those articles were regarded by your church as "strong
meat," and thus were restricted ONLY to the more knowledgeable church
members. The same even held true for some of the booklets. One of which
was called, "Military Service and War." About which instructions were
given to literature distributors, "Not for just anybody."

Having had a great familiarity with what the church WAS, I am looking
with a good deal of fascination at what it seems to have BECOME. In just
a relative handful of years. It most assuredly USED to be a cult. Now
it appears to be far more mainstream.

So if the doctrine pertaining to the unpardonable sin has been
modified, I apologize for being behind the times on that.

As for all the HUGE doctrinal changes that have occurred since I met
Herbert, who died in 1986, I can't help but wonder: "What would Herbert
of made of all of that?"

Besq
2003-10-26 13:37:47 EST
Trolling, noham? Tsk, tsk. Bringing us some more foul mouthed strays?

<*m@localnet.com> wrote in message news:3F9BE572.79FE5F3D@localnet.com...
> Craig Chilton wrote:
> > Sharon wrote:
> > > I dug up some of the old newspaper articles I had saved, scanned
> > > and used them in the testimony about the WWCG, and its awful and
> > > evil teachings.
>
> Old articles? How about something current?
>
> > OOOPS!! So much for Sharon! The Worldwide Church of God...
> > formerly the Radio Church of God, started and founded by the late
> > Herbert W. Armstrong, actually BELIEVES that any person who claims
> > that that sect is "evil" has committed the unpardonable sin. Fact!
> > They really DO!
>
> That is not a fact.
> <http://www.wcg.org/lit/God/unpardon.htm> mentions nothing about
> dissing the WCG.
>
> Fact: They really don't.

Ineedmoney
2003-10-26 22:28:16 EST

"sharon" <*...@....com> wrote in message news:3f9ad6e9_4@athenanews.com...
> Linked at the "What's New" page
> http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/whats_new.html
> "Worldwide Church of God "Prophecies" and Neo-Nazis that Kill"
> (URL is quite long and breaks up at the end, if I send it through on
email,
> and probably will on usenet, if posted in plain text format)
>
> I dug up some of the old newspaper articles I had saved, scanned and used
> them in the testimony about the WWCG, and its awful and evil teachings.
>
> or, Article listed and linked on
> http://www.fundamentalists-anonymous.org/ home page.
>
> I can not think of any religious group that is exempt from their own set
of
> evil doctrines that hurt people... the Unitarians?

Many Pantheist religions. Think: Buddism.

Ed

MarkA
2003-10-28 08:06:17 EST
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:59:18 +0000, sharon wrote:

> I can not think of any religious group that is exempt from their own set
> of evil doctrines that hurt people... the Unitarians?
>
> Sharon

But then again, laundry day can be very dangerous, according to Rocko.

--
MarkA
(still caught in the maze of twisty little passages, all different)