Bible Discussion: The Decay Of Language

The Decay Of Language
Posts: 139

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Next  (First | Last)

IknowHimDoYou
2003-10-23 12:10:15 EST
The Decay of Language

Moderns find it difficult to read and comprehend the Modern Middle English
used in the KJV Bible. They claim that the language is archaic and it
is. The decline of teaching English in the schools is also another reason
for the common ignorance of the English language. Why does a language
fall into non-comprehension today?

The metal midgets of evolutionary religion teach that language has evolved
from animal grunts and that the continuing change of languages is just
like biological evolution, from simple to complex. Observation shows a
very different picture indeed.

First, ancient languages were extermely complex with many different
inflections. The Indo-European family, Sanskrit, Classical Greek, Latin
and others more modern as Finnish and Hungarian had many noun inflections
for different case, gender, and number, while verbs were inflected for
tense, voice, number and person. The modern decendants of these languages
have greatly reduced this complexity. We might say that modern languages
are actually much less complex and heading for animal grunts(e.g., rock
and roll, rap, hip hop).

The evidence and observations lead honest people to understand that
language has devolved not evolved just as people have not evolved.

David Jensen
2003-10-23 12:10:35 EST
In alt.talk.creationism, IknowHim@leavingsoon.com (IknowHimDoYou) wrote
in <IknowHim-2310030910150001@pm6-08.kalama.com>:
>The Decay of Language
>
>Moderns find it difficult to read and comprehend the Modern Middle English
>used in the KJV Bible. They claim that the language is archaic and it
>is. The decline of teaching English in the schools is also another reason
>for the common ignorance of the English language. Why does a language
>fall into non-comprehension today?
>
>The metal midgets of evolutionary religion teach that language has evolved
>from animal grunts and that the continuing change of languages is just
>like biological evolution, from simple to complex. Observation shows a
>very different picture indeed.
>
>First, ancient languages were extermely complex with many different
>inflections. The Indo-European family, Sanskrit, Classical Greek, Latin
>and others more modern as Finnish and Hungarian had many noun inflections
>for different case, gender, and number, while verbs were inflected for
>tense, voice, number and person. The modern decendants of these languages
>have greatly reduced this complexity. We might say that modern languages
>are actually much less complex and heading for animal grunts(e.g., rock
>and roll, rap, hip hop).
>
>The evidence and observations lead honest people to understand that
>language has devolved not evolved just as people have not evolved.

Apparently ignorance won't stop you from making a fool of yourself in
any field.

What religion do you actually profess? Clearly, it is not Christianity.

FBC
2003-10-23 12:19:09 EST

"IknowHimDoYou" <IknowHim@leavingsoon.com> wrote in message
news:IknowHim-2310030910150001@pm6-08.kalama.com...
> The Decay of Language
>
> Moderns find it difficult to read and comprehend the Modern Middle English
> used in the KJV Bible. They claim that the language is archaic and it
> is. The decline of teaching English in the schools is also another reason
> for the common ignorance of the English language. Why does a language
> fall into non-comprehension today?
>
> The metal midgets of evolutionary religion teach that language has evolved
> from animal grunts and that the continuing change of languages is just
> like biological evolution, from simple to complex. Observation shows a
> very different picture indeed.
>
> First, ancient languages were extermely complex with many different
> inflections. The Indo-European family, Sanskrit, Classical Greek, Latin
> and others more modern as Finnish and Hungarian had many noun inflections
> for different case, gender, and number, while verbs were inflected for
> tense, voice, number and person. The modern decendants of these languages
> have greatly reduced this complexity. We might say that modern languages
> are actually much less complex and heading for animal grunts(e.g., rock
> and roll, rap, hip hop).
>
> The evidence and observations lead honest people to understand that
> language has devolved not evolved just as people have not evolved.


But you fail to note that the number of words in a languages vocabulary has
increased geometrically. This fact has made language to be less dependent
upon tense, gender, voice and similar meanings that use to be in the
parsing.

Also notice that languages that used such complex parsing in ancient times.
Still do.

PC



John Ings
2003-10-23 13:05:04 EST
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:10:15 -0700, IknowHim@leavingsoon.com
(IknowHimDoYou) wrote:

>Moderns find it difficult to read and comprehend the Modern Middle English
>used in the KJV Bible.

And you don't? Let's find out.
Here are a dozen passages from the KJV.
Please explain in a few words the meaning of each. Of course you
wouldn't cheat by looking them up in a modern translation would you?


First passage-
"only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way."

Second passage--
"Then there arose certain of the synagogue, which is called the
synagogue of the Libertines,"

Third passage--
"Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you
the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their
conversation. "

Fourth passage--
" for the LORD hath rejected thy confidences, and thou shalt not
prosper in them."

Fifth passage--
"Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:"

Sixth passage--
" that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall
not prevent them which are asleep."

Seventh passage--
"And Gideon went up by the way of them that dwelt in tents on the east
of Nobah and Jogbehah, and smote the host: for the host was secure."

Eighth passage--
"I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your
solemn assemblies."

Ninth passage--
"And he said, O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me
good speed this day, and show kindness unto my master Abraham."

Tenth passage--
"all her persecutors overtook her between the straits."

Eleventh passage--
"Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men’s
sins: keep thyself pure."

Twelfth passage--
"Let no man seek his own, but every man another’s wealth."

## Ful wys is he that kan hymselven knowe! CHAUCER



Zachriel
2003-10-23 13:59:38 EST

"IknowHimDoYou" <IknowHim@leavingsoon.com> wrote in message
news:IknowHim-2310030910150001@pm6-08.kalama.com...
> The Decay of Language

Please provide a cite to a peer-reviewed scientific publication on languages
to support your assertion of "The Decay of Language". Or have the linguists
joined with the biologists, chemists, geologists, ecologists,
climatologists, planetologists, astronomers, physicists, cosmologists and
geneticists in the conspiracy of "evolutionism"?


> Moderns find it difficult to read and comprehend the Modern Middle English
> used in the KJV Bible. They claim that the language is archaic and it
> is. The decline of teaching English in the schools is also another reason
> for the common ignorance of the English language. Why does a language
> fall into non-comprehension today?
>
> The metal midgets of evolutionary religion teach that language has evolved
> from animal grunts and that the continuing change of languages is just
> like biological evolution, from simple to complex. Observation shows a
> very different picture indeed.
>
> First, ancient languages were extermely complex with many different
> inflections. The Indo-European family, Sanskrit, Classical Greek, Latin
> and others more modern as Finnish and Hungarian had many noun inflections
> for different case, gender, and number, while verbs were inflected for
> tense, voice, number and person. The modern decendants of these languages
> have greatly reduced this complexity. We might say that modern languages
> are actually much less complex and heading for animal grunts(e.g., rock
> and roll, rap, hip hop).
>
> The evidence and observations lead honest people to understand that
> language has devolved not evolved just as people have not evolved.



Thore Schmechtig
2003-10-23 14:35:27 EST
> The evidence and observations lead honest people to understand that
> language has devolved not evolved just as people have not evolved.

Just because languages _may_ have "devolved" during recent times (and
this of course depends on everyone's personal point of view) does not
mean that it has always been this way. And even if they would have
"devolved" since a looong time ago, this does not mean anything at all
for the history of the world and its lifeforms.
Naturally, I use something that you only _claim_ to know here. It is
called "logic".

Of course, if you admit this you may have to admit, even if only to
yourself, that you may well be wrong about other things too, leading to
the (to you) horrific revelation that you have become a SINNER by the
standards of your "holy" book... can't have this, can you? Oh, truth
_hurts..._ ;)

By the way, as you supposedly know so much, interpret THIS:

|\ /
| \ /
|\ /
| \ \
| \
| \

(little hint: It's what you need badly)



TOP TEN SIGNS YOU'RE A (CHRISTIAN) FUNDAMENTALIST

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of
gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when
someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists
say that people evolved from other life forms, but you
have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were
created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem
believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the
"atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even
flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all
the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the
elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" --
including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and
Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have
no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated
Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed,
came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little
loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth
(4.55 billion years), but you find nothing wrong with
believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting
in their tents and guessing that Earth is a couple of
generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet
with the exception of those who share your beliefs --
though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend
Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet
consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and
physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot
rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be
all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it
comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be
evidence that prayer works. And you think that the
remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and
agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church
history - but still call yourself a Christian.

Lane Lewis
2003-10-23 14:49:34 EST

"IknowHimDoYou" <IknowHim@leavingsoon.com> wrote in message
news:IknowHim-2310030910150001@pm6-08.kalama.com...
> The Decay of Language
>
> Moderns find it difficult to read and comprehend the Modern Middle English
> used in the KJV Bible. They claim that the language is archaic and it
> is. The decline of teaching English in the schools is also another reason
> for the common ignorance of the English language. Why does a language
> fall into non-comprehension today?
>
> The metal midgets of evolutionary religion teach that language has evolved
> from animal grunts and that the continuing change of languages is just
> like biological evolution, from simple to complex. Observation shows a
> very different picture indeed.
>
> First, ancient languages were extermely complex with many different
> inflections. The Indo-European family, Sanskrit, Classical Greek, Latin
> and others more modern as Finnish and Hungarian had many noun inflections
> for different case, gender, and number, while verbs were inflected for
> tense, voice, number and person. The modern decendants of these languages
> have greatly reduced this complexity. We might say that modern languages
> are actually much less complex and heading for animal grunts(e.g., rock
> and roll, rap, hip hop).
>
> The evidence and observations lead honest people to understand that
> language has devolved not evolved just as people have not evolved.
>

And you admit your an example of that devolution ? So how can we believe
anything you say.

Lane



Pastor Dave
2003-10-23 18:03:22 EST
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:35:27 +0200, "Thore Schmechtig"
<*r@carcosa.de> wrote:

>> The evidence and observations lead honest people to understand that
>> language has devolved not evolved just as people have not evolved.
>
>Just because languages _may_ have "devolved" during recent times (and
>this of course depends on everyone's personal point of view) does not
>mean that it has always been this way.

It has. Going back even farther shows even more
complexity.


>And even if they would have
>"devolved" since a looong time ago, this does not mean anything at all
>for the history of the world and its lifeforms.

Sure it does. You people claim dumb sheep herders
lived then and that language started as grunts before
that. Tell me, how does man evolve from grunts to
modern language, when the first languages were far more
complex than what we have today?


--

Pastor Dave Raymond

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

When Christianity becomes religion,
it leaves the heart hungry.


Rogue
2003-10-23 18:25:11 EST
I*m@leavingsoon.com (IknowHimDoYou) wrote in message news:<IknowHim-2310030910150001@pm6-08.kalama.com>...

> YM1
> Moderns find it difficult to read and comprehend the Modern Middle English
> used in the KJV Bible. They claim that the language is archaic and it
> is. The decline of teaching English in the schools is also another reason
> for the common ignorance of the English language. Why does a language
> fall into non-comprehension today?

JERRY
Duh, because language is dynamic and changes constantly with use?
Look at the evolution of language of our own today? Quick: what does
"Bad" mean? What has it meant recently? Can you predict how the word
will be used ten years from now? How about fresh words that are
created by the different cultures? Quick, define "phat."

> YM1
> The metal midgets of evolutionary religion teach that language has evolved
> from animal grunts and that the continuing change of languages is just
> like biological evolution, from simple to complex. Observation shows a
> very different picture indeed.

JERRY
Actually, observation into the langauge that you see now is a very
good indicator that they are right and you are wrong.

> YM1
> First, ancient languages were extermely complex with many different
> inflections. The Indo-European family, Sanskrit, Classical Greek, Latin
> and others more modern as Finnish and Hungarian had many noun inflections
> for different case, gender, and number, while verbs were inflected for
> tense, voice, number and person. The modern decendants of these languages
> have greatly reduced this complexity. We might say that modern languages
> are actually much less complex and heading for animal grunts(e.g., rock
> and roll, rap, hip hop).

JERRY
Quick, YM, what are your qualifications as a scholar of ancient
languages? What are your degrees? How many languages do you speak?
Personally, I can cop to two languages that I can read well enough to
understand a newspaper and two more that I can struggle through with
the help of a dictionary. Since I can make a pretty solid guess that
you are simply parroting the conservative politics and viewpoints of
your churchgroup, I doubt that you speak anything other than English
and I know from reading your postings that your comprehension is not
particularly acute.

>YM1
> The evidence and observations lead honest people to understand that
> language has devolved not evolved just as people have not evolved.

JERRY
Here we are, the current culture is crap and things are only getting
worse in time when all indicators show that things are getting better
and better, particularly when viewed over a period of a few thousand
years.

Matt Silberstein
2003-10-23 19:03:54 EST
In alt.religion.christian I read this message from
I*m@leavingsoon.com (IknowHimDoYou):

>The Decay of Language
>
>Moderns find it difficult to read and comprehend the Modern Middle English
>used in the KJV Bible. They claim that the language is archaic and it
>is. The decline of teaching English in the schools is also another reason
>for the common ignorance of the English language. Why does a language
>fall into non-comprehension today?

Can you speak Old German? Old French? Latin? Attic Greek?

>The metal midgets of evolutionary religion teach that language has evolved
>from animal grunts and that the continuing change of languages is just
>like biological evolution, from simple to complex.

Actually human languages probably hit a complexity plateau early
on and has drifted ever since.

> Observation shows a
>very different picture indeed.
>
>First, ancient languages were extermely complex with many different
>inflections.

They were just as complex as modern languages, no more, no less.

>The Indo-European family, Sanskrit, Classical Greek, Latin
>and others more modern as Finnish and Hungarian had many noun inflections
>for different case, gender, and number, while verbs were inflected for
>tense, voice, number and person. The modern decendants of these languages
>have greatly reduced this complexity.

And, yet, can convey the exact same messages with the same
efficiency. Please don't pretend you know something about
linguistics.

> We might say that modern languages
>are actually much less complex and heading for animal grunts(e.g., rock
>and roll, rap, hip hop).

And who is the racist here?

>The evidence and observations lead honest people to understand that
>language has devolved not evolved just as people have not evolved.

You misspelled "ignorant bigoted", it does not begin with an 'h'.

HTH. HAND.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Next  (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron