Bible Discussion: OMNISCIENCE Vs. OMNIPOTENCE

OMNISCIENCE Vs. OMNIPOTENCE

Libertarius
2003-10-18 22:40:51 EST
An omniscient being would be incapable of altering the course
of events of which said being has total advance knowledge.

Therefore, an omniscient being cannot be omnipotent.

Libertarius
============

John D Newport
2003-10-19 03:31:05 EST
Yes, he is omnipotent, and he is also wise enough to choose not to change
that which he has "total advance knowledge".

"Libertarius" <Libertarius@Nothing_But_The_Truth.net> wrote in message
> An omniscient being would be incapable of altering the course
> of events of which said being has total advance knowledge.
>
> Therefore, an omniscient being cannot be omnipotent.
>
> Libertarius
> ============

14
2003-10-19 08:46:40 EST
"John D Newport" <jdnewport@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> Yes, he is omnipotent, and he is also wise enough to choose not to change
> that which he has "total advance knowledge".

... witch Always ends up making him look a bit silly, Jim. the God has the
abillerty to AVOID trickey situations but dooms himself to make the Same
Mistake Twice.

"watch Out for that puddle, the God" - splash.

allmighty Is the Egg on His Face!

loave Form 14
http://www.the14thdisciple.com

Libertarius
2003-10-19 10:54:18 EST

John D Newport wrote:

> Yes, he is omnipotent, and he is also wise enough to choose not to change
> that which he has "total advance knowledge".

===>Wisdom has nothing to do with it.
He is simply incapable of changing anything.
An omniscient being cannot be omnipotent. -- L.

> "Libertarius" <Libertarius@Nothing_But_The_Truth.net> wrote in message
> > An omniscient being would be incapable of altering the course
> > of events of which said being has total advance knowledge.
> >
> > Therefore, an omniscient being cannot be omnipotent.
> >
> > Libertarius
> > ============

John D Newport
2003-10-20 02:19:14 EST
Your view of God is much too small. My God does not make mistakes, but we
do, and you have made a big one. In your arrogance you have just said that
you are wiser than God. While that may be OK with you, since you are
probably an unbeleiver, it can never fit my view of him.

"14" <14@the14thdisciple.com> wrote in message
> "John D Newport" <jdnewport@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>
> > Yes, he is omnipotent, and he is also wise enough to choose not to
change
> > that which he has "total advance knowledge".
>
> ... witch Always ends up making him look a bit silly, Jim. the God has
the
> abillerty to AVOID trickey situations but dooms himself to make the Same
> Mistake Twice.
>
> "watch Out for that puddle, the God" - splash.
>
> allmighty Is the Egg on His Face!
>
> loave Form 14
> http://www.the14thdisciple.com

John D Newport
2003-10-20 02:55:26 EST

> John D Newport wrote:
>
> > Yes, he is omnipotent, and he is also wise enough to choose not to
change
> > that which he has "total advance knowledge".
>
> ===>Wisdom has nothing to do with it.
> He is simply incapable of changing anything.
> An omniscient being cannot be omnipotent. -- L.

You would be correct if God was as limited as we are. However, in my
view of God, he is not. As creator, he not only created us, the animals,
plants, etc, but he also created the universe, and the dimensions of height,
width, depth, and time. I understand that physicists believe there are
other dimensions too. If they are correct, then he created them also.
You also left out the concept that he is omnipresent. That
characteristic, in view of being omnipresent not only in all physical
locations, but also in all times, makes being both omniscient and omnipotent
quite possible.
Simply put, your mental image of God is much too small.
Have a good day.

> > "Libertarius" <Libertarius@Nothing_But_The_Truth.net> wrote in message
> > > An omniscient being would be incapable of altering the course
> > > of events of which said being has total advance knowledge.
> > >
> > > Therefore, an omniscient being cannot be omnipotent.
> > >
> > > Libertarius
> > > ============

386sx
2003-10-20 04:35:21 EST
John D Newport writes:

> You would be correct if God was as limited as we are. However, in my
> view of God, he is not. As creator, he not only created us, the animals,
> plants, etc, but he also created the universe, and the dimensions of height,
> width, depth, and time. I understand that physicists believe there are
> other dimensions too. If they are correct, then he created them also.
> You also left out the concept that he is omnipresent. That
> characteristic, in view of being omnipresent not only in all physical
> locations, but also in all times, makes being both omniscient and omnipotent
> quite possible.

" And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham:
and Abraham returned unto his place."

Where did the LORD go if he was already there? Heaven?

"And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and
because their sin is very grievous; I will go down now, and see whether they
have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and
if not, I will know."

Didn't he already know?

> Simply put, your mental image of God is much too small.

I wouldn't blame him, really. If the LORD wrote the Bible, then this is the
image the LORD wanted us to see. Simply put, your religion doesn't give a
hoot about trying to make some serious sense.

> Have a good day.

Thank you very much. You have a good day also.

--
"He affirmed that only in man we had the beatings of the heart, that the
left side of the body was colder than the right, that men have more teeth

386sx
2003-10-20 05:08:45 EST
John D Newport writes:

> 14 wrote...
>
>> ... witch Always ends up making him look a bit silly, Jim. the God has
>> the abillerty to AVOID trickey situations but dooms himself to make the
>> Same Mistake Twice.
>>
>> "watch Out for that puddle, the God" - splash.
>>
>> allmighty Is the Egg on His Face!
>
> Your view of God is much too small. My God does not make mistakes, but we
> do, and you have made a big one. In your arrogance you have just said
> that you are wiser than God.

So according to your philosophy, those who point out the mistakes of others
are making the implication that they are wiser than the others who made the
mistakes.

> While that may be OK with you, since you are probably an unbeleiver, it
> can never fit my view of him.

Seems to me a wise God wouldn't really be offended by criticism, or
arrogance. Your view of God is much too small.

--
"He affirmed that only in man we had the beatings of the heart, that the
left side of the body was colder than the right, that men have more teeth
than women." -- John Tyndall

Carl Barnet
2003-10-20 07:23:00 EST
God's track-record would probably be improved by checking stuff out
with 14 before making any important moves.

Carl

"John D Newport" <jdnewport@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<C7Lkb.113435$qj6.6424693@news1.news.adelphia.net>...
> Your view of God is much too small. My God does not make mistakes, but we
> do, and you have made a big one. In your arrogance you have just said that
> you are wiser than God. While that may be OK with you, since you are
> probably an unbeleiver, it can never fit my view of him.
>
> "14" <14@the14thdisciple.com> wrote in message
> > "John D Newport" <jdnewport@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >
> > > Yes, he is omnipotent, and he is also wise enough to choose not to
> change
> > > that which he has "total advance knowledge".
> >
> > ... witch Always ends up making him look a bit silly, Jim. the God has
> the
> > abillerty to AVOID trickey situations but dooms himself to make the Same
> > Mistake Twice.
> >
> > "watch Out for that puddle, the God" - splash.
> >
> > allmighty Is the Egg on His Face!
> >
> > loave Form 14
> > http://www.the14thdisciple.com

Libertarius
2003-10-20 12:42:04 EST

John D Newport wrote:

> Your view of God is much too small. My God does not make mistakes, but we
> do, and you have made a big one. In your arrogance you have just said that
> you are wiser than God. While that may be OK with you, since you are
> probably an unbeleiver, it can never fit my view of him.

===>Do you believe your "GOD" is omniscient? All-knowing?
Such an ability would render him impotent to do anything about
anything! He has no choice, no "free will", but must do what he
had foreseen "since the beginning". -- L.