Bible Discussion: Did Iraq Send Weapons To Syria To Hide Them From U.N. Inspectors?

Did Iraq Send Weapons To Syria To Hide Them From U.N. Inspectors?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Next  (First | Last)

Mark Fox
2003-09-22 20:22:41 EST
http://www.americasnewspaper.com/top.shtml

By Bill Gertz
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The U.S. government is investigating intelligence reports that Iraq
sent weapons to Syria to hide them from U.N. inspectors and
coalition troops in Iraq, a senior State Department official said on
Sept. 16.
John Bolton, the undersecretary of state for arms control, also
told a House International Relations subcommittee that Syria is
developing medium-range missiles with help from North Korea and Iran
that could be fired in nerve gas attacks hundreds of miles from
Syria's borders.
He testified in open and closed sessions that Syria continues
to take hostile actions against U.S. and coalition troops in Iraq by
permitting sympathizers of Saddam Hussein to enter Iraq to kill
Americans.
"Syria permitted volunteers to pass into Iraq to attack and
kill our service members during the war, and is still doing so," Mr.
Bolton said.
"September 11, we were reminded of the need to remain steadfast
in recognizing emerging threats to our security," Mr. Bolton said.
"In Syria, we see expanding [weapons of mass destruction]
capabilities and continued state sponsorship of terrorism."
Mr. Bolton said that "we cannot allow the world's most
dangerous weapons to fall into the hands of the world's most
dangerous regimes, and will work tirelessly to ensure this is not
the case for Syria."
Syria has purchased nuclear goods that indicate it may use a
Chinese-made reactor to build nuclear arms, he said.
Also, the Syrians are working on offensive biological weapons,
he said.
Mr. Bolton stated that Syria has several hundred Scud and SS-21
short-range missiles and has built a longer-range Scud D with help
from North Korea. The Scud D has a range of some 310 miles and Syria
test-fired one in 2000.
Some of the missiles can be outfitted with deadly nerve gas
warheads, Mr. Bolton said.
During a closed-door session, Mr. Bolton showed the committee a
map highlighting the ranges of Syrian missiles and future missiles,
including a version of the North Korean Nodong that has a range of
620 miles, enough to hit targets throughout the Middle East.
Syria has one of the most advanced chemical weapons programs in
the Arab world that includes the nerve agent sarin and the more
deadly nerve gas known as VX, Mr. Bolton said.
"Syria's missiles are mobile and can reach much of Israel from
positions near their peacetime garrisons and portions of Iraq,
Jordan and Turkey from launch sites well within the country," Mr.
Bolton said in his prepared testimony.
"Damascus is pursuing both solid- and liquid-propellant missile
programs and relies extensively on foreign assistance in these
endeavors," he said.
Mr. Bolton was scheduled to present the testimony on Syrian
weapons programs last month, but elements of the U.S. intelligence
community blocked the testimony to avoid offending Damascus, which
has established a limited liaison program with the CIA.
Mr. Bolton told the subcommittee that his testimony yesterday
was approved by the U.S. intelligence and policy communities.
Asked whether he favored changing the regime of Syrian leader
Bashar Assad, Mr. Bolton said "our preference is to solve these
problems by peaceful and diplomatic means."
Regarding reports that Iraq hid weapons in Syria, Mr. Bolton
said: "We have seen these reports, reviewed them carefully, and see
them as cause for concern."
"Thus far, we have been unable to confirm that such transfers
occurred," he said.
At the Pentagon, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said he
has seen "snippets of information over time" about weapons transfers
from Iraq to Syria.
"We know they buried MiG airplanes," Mr. Rumsfeld told
reporters. "We know they buried a lot of things. And we know in the
prior war they flew their planes into Iran, for example."
Other U.S. officials said numerous intelligence reports from a
variety of sources indicate that the transfers of Iraqi weapons took
place.
Some of the reports have been in recent weeks, the officials
said.
However, many intelligence analysts are reluctant to make
judgments on the intelligence because of the recent controversy over
Iraq's purported attempts to buy uranium ore from Niger, the
officials said.
Syria's government continues to deny that any weapons were
transferred.
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Florida Republican and chairman of
the subcommittee on the Middle East and Central Asia, which held the
hearing, said the reports of Iraqi arms shipments to Iraq suggest
biological or chemical weapons were sent there.
"There are disputes between agencies," she said in an
interview. "No matter what the view, the answer is we really don't
know the extent to which this happened. On the other hand, nobody's
saying it didn't happen."
Mrs. Ros-Lehtinen said the hearing was held on legislation she
is co-sponsoring that would lead to sanctions on Syria for its
weapons of mass destruction programs and support for terrorism.
Rep. Gary L. Ackerman, New York Democrat, said the testimony
appeared to be a warning to Syria.
"I think the administration is sending a trial balloon to the
Syrians to take a look over the border and see what happens to the
people who don't listen to us," Mr. Ackerman said in an interview.

Peter Vos
2003-09-22 20:31:32 EST
mark_fox_@yahoo.com (Mark Fox) wrote in

> http://www.americasnewspaper.com/top.shtml
>
> By Bill Gertz
> THE WASHINGTON TIMES
>
> The U.S. government is investigating intelligence reports
> that Iraq sent weapons to Syria to hide them from U.N.
> inspectors and coalition troops in Iraq, a senior State
> Department official said on Sept. 16.
[snip]

> "Syria permitted volunteers to pass into Iraq to
> attack and
> kill our service members during the war, and is still
> doing so," Mr. Bolton said.
> "September 11, we were reminded of the need to remain
> steadfast
> in recognizing emerging threats to our security," Mr.
> Bolton said. "In Syria, we see expanding [weapons of mass
> destruction] capabilities and continued state sponsorship
> of terrorism."
> Mr. Bolton said that "we cannot allow the world's
> most
> dangerous weapons to fall into the hands of the world's
> most dangerous regimes, and will work tirelessly to ensure
> this is not the case for Syria."
> Syria has purchased nuclear goods that indicate it
> may use a
> Chinese-made reactor to build nuclear arms, he said.
> Also, the Syrians are working on offensive biological
> weapons,
> he said.

[snip]

Man talk about a one-trick pony......

> Rep. Gary L. Ackerman, New York Democrat, said the
> testimony
> appeared to be a warning to Syria.
> "I think the administration is sending a trial
> balloon to the
> Syrians to take a look over the border and see what
> happens to the people who don't listen to us," Mr.
> Ackerman said in an interview.

I think they are launching their balloons for a more local audience...

Dore
2003-09-22 20:34:07 EST
And who is monitoring and inspecting the US weapons and demanding to
control them? The US has and USES just as evil weaponry as any other nation,
in fact, used depleted uranium bombs in Iraq, KNOWING that their own
military would suffer the affects and DIE because of them, as HUNDREDS are
now returning from Iraq, dying as we speak. Why do you THINK that the US is
so righteous, good and innocent, when they are the most evil nation that
ever was on the earth in all of history? Does your being American, make you
prejudiced and blind? I think so.

--
Dore

http://dorewilliamson.com

"Mark Fox" <mark_fox_@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> interview. "No matter what the view, the answer is we really
don't
> know the extent to which this happened. On the other hand,
nobody's
> saying it didn't happen."
> Mrs. Ros-Lehtinen said the hearing was held on
legislation she
> is co-sponsoring that would lead to sanctions on Syria for its
> weapons of mass destruction programs and support for
terrorism.
> Rep. Gary L. Ackerman, New York Democrat, said the
testimony
> appeared to be a warning to Syria.
> "I think the administration is sending a trial balloon to
the
> Syrians to take a look over the border and see what happens to
the
> people who don't listen to us," Mr. Ackerman said in an

Christopher Robin
2003-09-22 21:05:07 EST

"Dore" <spiritfire@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> And who is monitoring and inspecting the US weapons and demanding to
> control them?

No one... but then, the U.N. hasn't passed any resolutions about the U.S.'s
weapons.

M*@thelastchurch.borg
2003-09-23 01:29:39 EST
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:34:07 GMT, "Dore" <spiritfire@frontiernet.net>
wrote:
>And who is monitoring and inspecting the US weapons

WE ARE!

M*@thelastchurch.borg
2003-09-23 01:34:44 EST
On 22 Sep 2003 17:22:41 -0700, mark_fox_@yahoo.com (Mark Fox) wrote:
>Syria continues
> to take hostile actions against U.S. and coalition troops in Iraq by
> permitting sympathizers of Saddam Hussein to enter Iraq to kill
> Americans.
> "Syria permitted volunteers to pass into Iraq to attack and
> kill our service members during the war, and is still doing so,"

Tell Syria to take a number and we will get to them in a few
months. And if they can't wait we will just have to make a new
dish called, FRIED Syria.

Mark Fox
2003-09-23 21:15:07 EST
"Dore" wrote

> And who is monitoring and inspecting the US weapons

The Nation that won both world wars and successfully defended Kuwait
from Iraq's murderous aggression.

> and demanding to control them?

That would be every other nation on planet Earth.

> The US has and USES just as evil weaponry as any other nation,

No. The US has chosen to work at reducing nuclear, chemical and
biological weapons. Other nations are trying to build up these
weapons.

> HUNDREDS are
> now returning from Iraq, dying as we speak.

And why has this not made any of the news reports?

> ...the US ...are the most evil nation that
> ever was on the earth in all of history?

Thats quite a statement. You sound envious. Tell me, Dore, are you
enjoying publishing your web pages on the internet? Did you know the
Internet was invented by the United States? I'm wondering how the
"most evil nation that ever was on the earth" would have had the time
to invent something like that? You would think we were too busy
plotting evil deeds?

>Does your being American, make you
> prejudiced and blind? I think so.

Blind? Nope. Proud? Yes!

Srinivas
2003-09-24 03:29:43 EST
The big brother, self appointed global cop, USA atacked Iraq as they
"had evidence" that Iraq had WMD.

They found no WMD. Then they said, "the evil ruler" was de-throned and
that was the mission.

Now a new thoery that weapons escaped to Syria. They think they can
tell any nonsense and get away with it.

USA is a rough country. International community should isolate it.

mark_fox_@yahoo.com (Mark Fox) wrote in message news:<a258afb5.0309231715.21ca44db@posting.google.com>...
> "Dore" wrote
>
> > And who is monitoring and inspecting the US weapons
>
> The Nation that won both world wars and successfully defended Kuwait
> from Iraq's murderous aggression.
>
> > and demanding to control them?
>
> That would be every other nation on planet Earth.
>

> > The US has and USES just as evil weaponry as any other nation,
>
> No. The US has chosen to work at reducing nuclear, chemical and
> biological weapons. Other nations are trying to build up these
> weapons.
>
> > HUNDREDS are
> > now returning from Iraq, dying as we speak.
>
> And why has this not made any of the news reports?
>

> > ...the US ...are the most evil nation that
> > ever was on the earth in all of history?
>
> Thats quite a statement. You sound envious. Tell me, Dore, are you
> enjoying publishing your web pages on the internet? Did you know the
> Internet was invented by the United States? I'm wondering how the
> "most evil nation that ever was on the earth" would have had the time
> to invent something like that? You would think we were too busy
> plotting evil deeds?
>

> >Does your being American, make you
> > prejudiced and blind? I think so.
> >

> Blind? Nope. Proud? Yes!

Kai
2003-09-24 04:41:51 EST
Christopher Robin wrote:
> "Dore" <spiritfire@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>> And who is monitoring and inspecting the US weapons and demanding to
>> control them?
>
> No one... but then, the U.N. hasn't passed any resolutions about the
> U.S.'s weapons.

Gee willikers, could the fact that the US is a permanent Security Council
member with a veto have anything to do with it?

Kai

Kai
2003-09-24 04:48:53 EST
Mark Fox wrote:
> "Dore" wrote
>
>> And who is monitoring and inspecting the US weapons
>
> The Nation that won both world wars and successfully defended Kuwait
> from Iraq's murderous aggression.

Is this the same nation that also happens to be the *only* nation *ever* to
actually have used nukes?

>> and demanding to control them?
>
> That would be every other nation on planet Earth.

Really?

>> The US has and USES just as evil weaponry as any other nation,
>
> No. The US has chosen to work at reducing nuclear, chemical and
> biological weapons. Other nations are trying to build up these
> weapons.

The US is trying to reduce the amount of weapons? An in the meanwhile, it's
own arms spending keeps of course skyrocketing as we speak.

Kai

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Next  (First | Last)