Bible Discussion: A Prayer Requesting Forgiveness

A Prayer Requesting Forgiveness

Christine
2003-09-19 20:42:45 EST
Jesus Christ my savior and my lord I beg your forgiveness, I have
participated in something quite awful.

Please forgive me.

See I always figured I would be the kind of person who would not let
themselves get caught up in anything like the Holocaust, but I just
realized it was only a niave notion, a veneer. A sweet illusion I
held about myself.

I stood by silently not saying anything when someone told of the
tortures that happened to homosexuals in the name of religion not
blink an eye, not pause for a moment of thought while the person only
said well torture of them doesn't make it right.

I stood by.

Dear Jesus forgive me as I tried to achieve a compromise with
intolerance, I was a part of it all.

I saw it coming, I recognized the hate but I thought it could be
appeased, instead I fed it success by asking for compromise.

MY position was that the the Bible needed to maintain integrity for it
had done so much for me ( it has and still does)...it was a position
of compromise with intolerance. I would remain silent on certain
aspects of Scripture, well they didn't affect me, I said.

and tried for this twisted compromise, somehow my being turned over
and over again and wondered when it happened that the poison became so
thick and thoroughly ingrained from the darkest deepest bowels of
religiosity that I ever considered your words:

"Love God above all else and love your neighbor as yourself"

...a weak position,

one not worth fighting for,
that a human being took second class status to the interpretation of
the word by a couple of people who
NEVER did earn my respect
could never have my respect

and if heaven holds them then I truly consider myself doomed and
without hope indeed.

Please forgive me for not understanding the difference between the
letter and the spirit of the law. My sin. Please forgive me for my
sin of feeding intolerance and becoming a part of it.

What good is it protecting the words of a Bible if I leave you Jesus
and the love you showed us?

Those words will mean nothing absolutely nothing. The Bible that I
stood by will be boring and dry indeed and harsh and judgemental and
oppressive to me...

...because I abandoned You and found myself bereft of the Holy Spirit

Sweet Jesus, I read the word that said you are the truth and the light
and the way and you gave us two simple commands:

"Love God above everything else, and love your neighbor as yourself"

I called myself Christian and stood silently by

I called myself Christian and attempted compromise with intolerance

Sweet Jesus please forgive me for taking the Lord's name in vain.

Dear Lord forgive me for letting the darkness pass through me when I
thought Love was a weak position to take.

Sweet God Almighty forgive my sin.

I don't know anything much about other people's sins, but please
forgive me for my own.

Yours in Christ

Christine

Sensible2me
2003-09-19 21:30:28 EST

"Christine" <christine@savedbychrist.com> wrote in message
> Jesus Christ my savior and my lord I beg your forgiveness, I have
> participated in something quite awful.
>
> Please forgive me.

> sensible2me:
And so it is done!

> See I always figured I would be the kind of person who would not let
> themselves get caught up in anything like the Holocaust, but I just
> realized it was only a niave notion, a veneer. A sweet illusion I
> held about myself.
>
> I stood by silently not saying anything when someone told of the
> tortures that happened to homosexuals in the name of religion not
> blink an eye, not pause for a moment of thought while the person only
> said well torture of them doesn't make it right.
>
> I stood by.
>
> Dear Jesus forgive me as I tried to achieve a compromise with
> intolerance, I was a part of it all.

sensible2me:
Dear Lord just cut off her head or better yet just love her for trying to
understand situations of LIFE that you gave us in hopes that we recognize
you in ....all things.

> I saw it coming, I recognized the hate but I thought it could be
> appeased, instead I fed it success by asking for compromise.
>
> MY position was that the the Bible needed to maintain integrity for it
> had done so much for me ( it has and still does)...it was a position
> of compromise with intolerance. I would remain silent on certain
> aspects of Scripture, well they didn't affect me, I said.
>
> and tried for this twisted compromise, somehow my being turned over
> and over again and wondered when it happened that the poison became so
> thick and thoroughly ingrained from the darkest deepest bowels of
> religiosity that I ever considered your words:
>
> "Love God above all else and love your neighbor as yourself"
>
> ...a weak position,
>
> one not worth fighting for,
> that a human being took second class status to the interpretation of
> the word by a couple of people who
> NEVER did earn my respect
> could never have my respect

sensible2me:
Some just haven't grown up yet and myself included at times and can you
imagine a small child trying to wear his fathers shoes and how he stumbles
and falls for his feet have not grown big enough yet and the child proclaims
I have made steps and indeed he has and as he stumbles and falls he grows
and grows and falls and stumbles He HAS to grow for he has no choice but to
grow and stages come and stages go and we all go through those stages till
the shoe fits. You are forgiven and so it is with everyone.

> and if heaven holds them then I truly consider myself doomed and
> without hope indeed.
>

> Please forgive me for not understanding the difference between the
> letter and the spirit of the law. My sin. Please forgive me for my
> sin of feeding intolerance and becoming a part of it.
>
> What good is it protecting the words of a Bible if I leave you Jesus
> and the love you showed us?
>
> Those words will mean nothing absolutely nothing. The Bible that I
> stood by will be boring and dry indeed and harsh and judgemental and
> oppressive to me...
>
> ...because I abandoned You and found myself bereft of the Holy Spirit
>
> Sweet Jesus, I read the word that said you are the truth and the light
> and the way and you gave us two simple commands:
>
> "Love God above everything else, and love your neighbor as yourself"
>
> I called myself Christian and stood silently by
>
> I called myself Christian and attempted compromise with intolerance
>
> Sweet Jesus please forgive me for taking the Lord's name in vain.
>
> Dear Lord forgive me for letting the darkness pass through me when I
> thought Love was a weak position to take.
>
> Sweet God Almighty forgive my sin.
>
> I don't know anything much about other people's sins, but please
> forgive me for my own.
>
> Yours in Christ
>
> Christine

sensible2me:
You participated in LIFE and you stood up for your beliefs just like others
do. Only thing with you is you don't have to prove to others what God has
given you nor are you self-righteous and you ask God to forgive you for what
you are not?

Anyway I knew I would find you here and I just wanted to say God Bless you
and you are.

Love,
sensible2me

Chayil
2003-09-20 14:12:06 EST
> [...]

> and the love you showed us?
>
> Those words will mean nothing absolutely nothing. The Bible that I
> stood by will be boring and dry indeed and harsh and judgemental and
> oppressive to me...
>
> ...because I abandoned You and found myself bereft of the Holy Spirit
>
> Sweet Jesus, I read the word that said you are the truth and the light
> and the way and you gave us two simple commands:
>
> "Love God above everything else, and love your neighbor as yourself"
>
> I called myself Christian and stood silently by
>
> I called myself Christian and attempted compromise with intolerance
>
> Sweet Jesus please forgive me for taking the Lord's name in vain.
>
> Dear Lord forgive me for letting the darkness pass through me when I
> thought Love was a weak position to take.
>
> Sweet God Almighty forgive my sin.
>
> I don't know anything much about other people's sins, but please

Stillsunny
2003-09-20 23:26:42 EST
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:42:45 GMT, Christine
<*e@savedbychrist.com> wrote:

>I stood by silently not saying anything when someone told of the
>tortures that happened to homosexuals in the name of religion not
>blink an eye, not pause for a moment of thought while the person only
>said well torture of them doesn't make it right.
>
>I stood by.

Thrown from high places
by visions of faces
of stone, twisting graces
to prisons of wire.

(do you write poetry? your turn)

Don't get trapped, jellybean. Use what you know. What do you _see_?

Sunny

who knows that newsgroups can be poison sometimes

Christine
2003-09-21 02:29:59 EST
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:26:42 -0400, stillsunny <stillsunny1@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:42:45 GMT, Christine
><christine@savedbychrist.com> wrote:
>

>>I stood by silently not saying anything when someone told of the
>>tortures that happened to homosexuals in the name of religion not
>>blink an eye, not pause for a moment of thought while the person only
>>said well torture of them doesn't make it right.
>>
>>I stood by.
>
>Thrown from high places
>by visions of faces
>of stone, twisting graces
>to prisons of wire.

>Don't get trapped, jellybean. Use what you know. What do you _see_?

With a cord of rope
and hot burning rocks
they burned his back
pelting wounds
whipped his flesh
hammered holes in his hands
and said

"He uses me"

faith in themselves
as instrument
faith in the instrument
faith that the rocks would burn
faith that the wounds would bleed
faith in the weight of their words

....the only faith that counted
they could not imagine
they did not have

could not form the words
faithless
they were
muted
by religion

(sorry these words were just on my mind from the other NG, and sorry
they did not rhyme)

thanks stillsunny
still the impeccable peacemaker I see

peace

oh, Yours, very much in Christ

Christine

I still believe.

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things
were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was
made. 4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it
not.

The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

Christine
2003-09-21 03:08:04 EST
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 06:29:59 GMT, Christine
<*e@savedbychrist.com> wrote:

>1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
>Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things
>were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was
>made. 4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
>5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it
>not.
>

>The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

and I better do this, I am being nudged to do so...

I think because I put on some newsgroups on that list that might have
some occassional antipathy towards Christianity I knew that when I
put them on that header for this post so I would avoid flames.

Heh. Then I wanted to squeak by using the no-controversy clause and
not declare my faith but only lament about other's lack of expression
of faith.

Or declare my faith but remove the politics and philosophy header and
coast with my declaration in the remaining groups.

But I can't do that, that sign off I use "Yours in Christ" means a
great deal for me that I can;t put rightly in words.

I have to finish what I started so I will just state it once here and
then remove the headers to the politics and philosophy for future
posts...because it was never my intention to evangelize just vent some
very deep and bitter frustration:

I still believe. He lived the truth and walked in truth, so that I
knew his words were truth. I believed his words, that he is the only
begotten Son of God and that he came and taught and loved and changed
the world. That he suffered because the world was dark and he is
light and they did not know him.. That he died on the cross,
suffering in our place, to bring us mercy and forgiveness and grace.
To die for our sins. And that he rose again conquering death and sin.
He lives still and does not hand dead on a cross. That by believing
on his words and believing in him we would recieve the Holy Spirit.

I am saved by Jesus Christ. I am new in Christ Jesus. I have received
the Holy Spirit.

I live now so that one day I may say "It is no longer I who live,
but it is Christ who lives in me" (Gal 2:20) and "For me living is
Christ" (Phil 1:21)

Ok show is over, now get back to yer regular programming

( why is nothing simple, why why why? bang bang bang<---me hitting
head against wall)

Yours in Christ

Christine

Griz
2003-09-21 10:16:11 EST
Sunny, please don't crosspost - ESPECIALLY to the politics groups.

That only invites and fortifies dissenting posts.

Yours in Christ,

Griz

Stillsunny
2003-09-21 22:53:38 EST
<*e@savedbychrist.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:26:42 -0400, stillsunny <stillsunny1@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:42:45 GMT, Christine
>><christine@savedbychrist.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I stood by silently not saying anything when someone told of the
>>>tortures that happened to homosexuals in the name of religion not
>>>blink an eye, not pause for a moment of thought while the person only
>>>said well torture of them doesn't make it right.
>>>
>>>I stood by.
>>
>>Thrown from high places
>>by visions of faces
>>of stone, twisting graces
>>to prisons of wire.
>
>>Don't get trapped, jellybean. Use what you know. What do you _see_?
>
>With a cord of rope
>and hot burning rocks
>they burned his back
>pelting wounds
>whipped his flesh
> hammered holes in his hands
>and said
>
>"He uses me"
>
>faith in themselves
>as instrument
>faith in the instrument
>faith that the rocks would burn
>faith that the wounds would bleed
>faith in the weight of their words
>
>....the only faith that counted
>they could not imagine
>they did not have
>
>could not form the words
>faithless
>they were
>muted
>by religion
>
>(sorry these words were just on my mind from the other NG, and sorry
>they did not rhyme)

Rhyme isn't important at all.

>thanks stillsunny
>still the impeccable peacemaker I see

Not impeccable, oh no.
I just have walked down similar roads.
So many people seem to be so afraid.
I don't know how to make them not afraid.
I only know how to address my own fear.

>peace

To you, lovely human.

Sunny

Christine
2003-09-22 01:41:30 EST
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:53:38 -0400, stillsunny <stillsunny1@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 06:29:59 GMT, Christine
><christine@savedbychrist.com> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:26:42 -0400, stillsunny <stillsunny1@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Thrown from high places
>>>by visions of faces
>>>of stone, twisting graces
>>>to prisons of wire.
>>
>>>Don't get trapped, jellybean. Use what you know. What do you _see_?
>>
>>With a cord of rope
>>and hot burning rocks
>>they burned his back
>>pelting wounds
>>whipped his flesh
>> hammered holes in his hands
>>and said
>>
>>"He uses me"
>>
>>faith in themselves
>>as instrument
>>faith in the instrument
>>faith that the rocks would burn
>>faith that the wounds would bleed
>>faith in the weight of their words
>>
>>....the only faith that counted
>>they could not imagine
>>they did not have
>>
>>could not form the words
>>faithless
>>they were
>>muted
>>by religion
>>
>>(sorry these words were just on my mind from the other NG, and sorry
>>they did not rhyme)
>
>Rhyme isn't important at all.
>
>>thanks stillsunny
>>still the impeccable peacemaker I see
>
>Not impeccable, oh no.
>I just have walked down similar roads.
>So many people seem to be so afraid.
>I don't know how to make them not afraid.
>I only know how to address my own fear.
>
>>peace
>
>To you, lovely human.
>
>Sunny