Bible Discussion: The Bible-a Unique Book 2

The Bible-a Unique Book 2

IknowHimDoYou
2003-09-08 14:01:49 EST
The Bible-a Unique Book 2

The Bible differs fundamentally in several aspects from all other books of
world literature as it represents a unique, singular and incomparable
works:

2. Scripture is made up of a wide scope of literary genres not to be found
in any other book:

On the other hand, other genres which do not represent truth such as fairy
tales, legends, myths(evolution) and sagas are excluded. Nor do we find
exaggerated or understatements as we know them from satires, glosses,
epics, or comedies.

The bible is the only book that gives the believer-

help,
encouragement,
instruction,
comfort.

It truely is a message from God Almighty.

John Ings
2003-09-08 14:43:05 EST
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:01:49 -0700, IknowHim@leavingsoon.com
(IknowHimDoYou) wrote:

>On the other hand, other genres which do not represent truth such as fairy
>tales,

Like the Moses in the bullrushes story, first told about King Sargon
the Great of Akad a thousand years before Moses time?

>legends,

Like that global Deuge that never happened?

>myths

Like Jesus?

> sagas

Abraham's journey isn't a saga?

>are excluded.

But we've just observed that they aren't!

> Nor do we find exaggerated or understatements as we know them from satires, glosses,
>epics, or comedies.

(Josh 10:12-13 NRSV) On the day when the LORD gave the Amorites over
to the Israelites, Joshua spoke to the LORD; and he said in the sight
of Israel, "Sun, stand still at Gibeon, and Moon, in the valley of
Aijalon."

>The bible is the only book that gives the believer-
> help,
> encouragement,
> instruction,
> comfort.

Provided you can draw help, encouragement, instruction and comfort
from fairy tales, legends, myths, sagas, eggagerations, phony
miracles, spurious prophecy, bad morals and worse science,
Bronze Age superstition and outright lies.

>It truely is a message from God Almighty.

"Our Bible reveals to us the character of our god with minute and
remorseless exactness... It is perhaps the most damnatory biography
that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light and
leading by contrast" Mark Twain "Reflections on Religion", 1906

## Both read the Bible day & night,
## But thou readst black where I read white.

Galia
2003-09-08 15:22:31 EST

?

> >myths
>

> > sagas
>

> >The bible is the only book that gives the believer-
> > help,
> > encouragement,
> > instruction,
> > comfort.
>

> >It truely is a message from God Almighty.

If the world blew itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an
expert saying it could not be done!

John Ings
2003-09-08 16:51:06 EST
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:22:31 -0400, "galia" <galia@netrover.com> wrote:

>If the world blew itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an
>expert saying it could not be done!

No, it would be some theist claiming it was the work of his angry
deity.

## E pur si muove! Still it moves! GALILEO

Galia
2003-09-08 16:53:04 EST

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:22:31 -0400, "galia" <galia@netrover.com> wrote:
>
> >If the world blew itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an
> >expert saying it could not be done!
>
> No, it would be some theist claiming it was the work of his angry
> deity.

And you would agree?

John Ings
2003-09-08 16:56:50 EST
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:34:00 -0700, Ben Mitts <bmitts10@comcast.net>
wrote:

> From The Word of God: And as Moses lifted up the serpent
>in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted
>up; that whoever believes may in Him have eternal life."

But I don't want eternal life.

>Similarly, God so loved the world, that He gave His only
>begotten Son,

Genesis 6:1And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face
of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, 2 That the sons of
God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them
wives of all which they chose.

> that who ever believes in Him should not
>perish, but Have eternal life. Another: God did not send
>the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the
>world should be saved through Him. He spoke elsewhere:
>I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me
>shall live, even if he dies, and everyone who lives and
>believes in Me shall never die. Believe you this?

No.

>Therefore we may, as many will to do so: "But as many as
>received Him, to them He gave the right to become child-
>ren of God, even to those who believe in His name,"
>(John 1:12)

Why do you believe a promise like that, when so much of the book you
found it in is broken promises?

## Faith enslaves thought so as not to be troubled by doubt

Ben Mitts
2003-09-08 19:34:00 EST
galia wrote:
> "John Ings" <nodamned@spam.org> wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:01:49 -0700, IknowHim@leavingsoon.com
>>(IknowHimDoYou) wrote:
>>

>>>On the other hand, other genres which do not represent truth such as
>>
> fairy
>
>>>tales,
>>

>>>legends,
>>
> ?
>
>>>myths
>>

>>>sagas
>>

>>>The bible is the only book that gives the believer-
>>> help,
>>> encouragement,
>>> instruction,
>>> comfort.
>>

>>>It truely is a message from God Almighty.
>>

> If the world blew itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an
> expert saying it could not be done!

Or it already happened
1000 yrs previous

--
Peace!

Sincerely,
Ben mitts

From The Word of God: And as Moses lifted up the serpent
in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted
up; that whoever believes may in Him have eternal life."
Similarly, God so loved the world, that He gave His only
begotten Son, that who ever believes in Him should not
perish, but Have eternal life. Another: God did not send
the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the
world should be saved through Him. He spoke elsewhere:
I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me
shall live, even if he dies, and everyone who lives and
believes in Me shall never die. Believe you this?

Therefore we may, as many will to do so: "But as many as
received Him, to them He gave the right to become child-
ren of God, even to those who believe in His name,"
(John 1:12)

Steve Zodiac
2003-09-08 19:48:36 EST

"IknowNothingDoYou" <IknowHim@leavingsoon.com> wrote in message
> The Bible-a Unique Book 2
>
> The Bible differs fundamentally in several aspects from all other books of
> world literature as it represents a unique, singular and incomparable
> works:

Right.

> 2. Scripture is made up of a wide scope of literary genres not to be found
> in any other book:

There would be no point.

> On the other hand, other genres which do not represent truth such as fairy
> tales, legends, myths(evolution) and sagas are excluded. Nor do we find
> exaggerated or understatements as we know them from satires, glosses,
> epics, or comedies.

You are right. The great flood which was caused by god makes him the
greatest mass murderer of all of history. Thats no exageration!

> The bible is the only book that gives the believer-
>
> help,
> encouragement,
> instruction,
> comfort.

You don't read too many books do you?

>It truely is a message from God Almighty.

A message that has caused more persecution, subordination, war, suffering
and division than any other book in history. Thanks to its foggy message,
there are over 1000 christian denominations. It is a horribly awkward
compilation of mythology, superstition, discrimination, that has been used
to subordinate and divide people for too many years. The world is better off
without it I would presume.

Steve Zodiac

Alan Wostenberg
2003-09-08 22:58:32 EST

John Ings wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:34:00 -0700, Ben Mitts <bmitts10@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>>From The Word of God: And as Moses lifted up the serpent
>>in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted
>>up; that whoever believes may in Him have eternal life."
> But I don't want eternal life.

Then you shall not have it, John. God who created you without your
consent will not save you without your consent.

Adam Marczyk
2003-09-09 00:19:38 EST
IknowHimDoYou <IknowHim@leavingsoon.com> wrote in message
> The Bible-a Unique Book 2
>
> The Bible differs fundamentally in several aspects from all other books
> of world literature as it represents a unique, singular and incomparable
> works:
>
> 2. Scripture is made up of a wide scope of literary genres not to be
> found in any other book:

Uh... this is a proof of divine inspiration how, exactly?

> On the other hand, other genres which do not represent truth such as
> fairy tales, legends, myths(evolution) and sagas are excluded. Nor do
> we find exaggerated or understatements as we know them from satires,
> glosses, epics, or comedies.
>
> The bible is the only book that gives the believer-
>
> help,
> encouragement,
> instruction,
> comfort.
>
> It truely is a message from God Almighty.

You know, I got all those things from reading some of Carl Sagan's books,
but that doesn't mean I worship him as a god.

--
"We have loved the stars too fondly | a.a. #2001
to be fearful of the night." | http://www.ebonmusings.org