Bible Discussion: Supreme Court Rules Alabama's Ten Commandments Monument Must Go

Supreme Court Rules Alabama's Ten Commandments Monument Must Go

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER
2003-08-20 20:52:03 EST
Apparently, some are unaware of (or in denial
regarding) the mythical nature of the christian
bible and the being / entity of national pretense /
delusion referred to as God (in the national
motto, and on American coinage, money, and
assorted monuments, here and there) ...

---
By Bob Johnson
The Associated Press
Wednesday, August 20, 2003; 7:03 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21337-2003Aug20.html
---

Excerpts:

Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore on Wednesday
lost a last-minute appeal to the Supreme Court to
save a Ten Commandments monument he installed
in a judicial building, clearing the way for its removal.

The high court rejected Moore's emergency plea
for a stay, declining to be drawn into a dispute over
whether the 5,300-pound, granite monument violates
the Constitution's ban on government promotion of
religion.

... Moore's lawyers told the justices in a filing that
Moore should be allowed to "establish justice by
acknowledging the guidance and favor of Almighty
God, placed upon him by his oath of office and the
Constitution of Alabama."

"This case is not about a monument, it's not about
politics or religion, it's about the acknowledgment
of God," Moore said on CBS' "The Early Show."
"We must acknowledge God because our consti-
tution says our justice system is established upon
God."

The Supreme Court has never ruled on the consti-
tutionality of such indoor and outdoor government
displays. In 1980, the court barred Ten Command-
ments from classroom walls in public schools.

... Christian groups planned a rally and prayer ser-
vice Wednesday night, and one of the organizers,
Rev Patrick Mahoney of the Christian Defense
Coalition, said protesters would remain at the
building 24-hours a day.

Associated Press writer Gina Holland in
Washington, D.C., contributed to this report.

\ufffd 2003 The Associated Press

- - - end excerpts - - -

~~~
Pro-Humanist FREELOVER
http://www.ghg.net/phf
(Freethinking Realist Exploring
Expressive Liberty, Openness,
Verity, Enlightenment, & Rationality)
~~~

Deacon
2003-08-21 01:19:45 EST
Pro-Humanist FREELOADER wrote:
> Apparently, some are unaware of (or in denial
> regarding) the mythical nature of the christian
> bible and the being / entity of national pretense /
> delusion referred to as God (in the national
> motto, and on American coinage, money, and
> assorted monuments, here and there) ...
>
> ---

I can ignore much, but. So you think we should take the basis for our
legal system out of the courthouse?

One man's myth is another man's life.

Think about it.

Oh just a secondary thought, what were the framers of the Constitution
thinking when they used the word Creator in the document. Must be
because they believed it!

Also, since I took the time to actually respond to you I'll ask again.
There are many ngs related to atheism so why don't you seek a
sympathetic audience?

John W
2003-08-21 02:30:21 EST
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:19:45 -0600, Deacon
<A_Servant@oftheMostHigh.God> wrote:

>Pro-Humanist FREELOADER wrote:
>> Apparently, some are unaware of (or in denial
>> regarding) the mythical nature of the christian
>> bible and the being / entity of national pretense /
>> delusion referred to as God (in the national
>> motto, and on American coinage, money, and
>> assorted monuments, here and there) ...
>>
>> ---
>

>I can ignore much, but. So you think we should take the basis for our
>legal system out of the courthouse?
>
>One man's myth is another man's life.
>
>Think about it.
>
>Oh just a secondary thought, what were the framers of the Constitution
>thinking when they used the word Creator in the document. Must be
>because they believed it!
>
>Also, since I took the time to actually respond to you I'll ask again.
>There are many ngs related to atheism so why don't you seek a
>sympathetic audience?

Because he's merely here to harass Christians. Like I said, "Delete,
delete, delete!"

God bless,

John W

John W
2003-08-21 02:35:52 EST
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:52:03 -0500, "Pro-Humanist FREELOVER"
<*f@ghg.net> wrote:

>Apparently, some are unaware of (or in denial
>regarding) the mythical nature of the christian
>bible and the being / entity of national pretense /
>delusion referred to as God (in the national
>motto, and on American coinage, money, and
>assorted monuments, here and there) ...

One of the easiest things to prove is the existence of God.

I even won this debate with a few seminary professors who said, "There
is no real proof of God beyond faith" I showed them there was, and
they agreed that I had showed them something new.

I was happy that such learned men could learn from one of their
students.

The spiritual gifts prove God exists.

John W
>---
> By Bob Johnson
> The Associated Press
> Wednesday, August 20, 2003; 7:03 PM
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21337-2003Aug20.html
>---
>
>Excerpts:
>
>Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore on Wednesday
>lost a last-minute appeal to the Supreme Court to
>save a Ten Commandments monument he installed
>in a judicial building, clearing the way for its removal.
>
>The high court rejected Moore's emergency plea
>for a stay, declining to be drawn into a dispute over
>whether the 5,300-pound, granite monument violates
>the Constitution's ban on government promotion of
>religion.
>
> ... Moore's lawyers told the justices in a filing that
>Moore should be allowed to "establish justice by
>acknowledging the guidance and favor of Almighty
>God, placed upon him by his oath of office and the
>Constitution of Alabama."
>
>"This case is not about a monument, it's not about
>politics or religion, it's about the acknowledgment
>of God," Moore said on CBS' "The Early Show."
>"We must acknowledge God because our consti-
>tution says our justice system is established upon
>God."
>
>The Supreme Court has never ruled on the consti-
>tutionality of such indoor and outdoor government
>displays. In 1980, the court barred Ten Command-
>ments from classroom walls in public schools.
>
> ... Christian groups planned a rally and prayer ser-
>vice Wednesday night, and one of the organizers,
>Rev Patrick Mahoney of the Christian Defense
>Coalition, said protesters would remain at the
>building 24-hours a day.
>
>Associated Press writer Gina Holland in
>Washington, D.C., contributed to this report.
>
>© 2003 The Associated Press
>
>- - - end excerpts - - -
>
>~~~
>Pro-Humanist FREELOVER
> http://www.ghg.net/phf
>(Freethinking Realist Exploring
>Expressive Liberty, Openness,
>Verity, Enlightenment, & Rationality)
>~~~

Walksalone
2003-08-21 03:22:13 EST
On 21 Aug 2003 06:35:52 GMT, John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:52:03 -0500, "Pro-Humanist FREELOVER"
><phf@ghg.net> wrote:
>
>>Apparently, some are unaware of (or in denial
>>regarding) the mythical nature of the christian
>>bible and the being / entity of national pretense /
>>delusion referred to as God (in the national
>>motto, and on American coinage, money, and
>>assorted monuments, here and there) ...

>One of the easiest things to prove is the existence of God.

Really now??? Let's look at that, can you
A: Define a god in any manner that is not contradictory [all those
omnis are in fact contradictory whether you admit it or not]
B: Can you provide evidence, real world evidence that there is a god?
C: Just why the hell haven't you for if you did there coukd be no
atheits anywhere in the world. A god would be known to exist.

>I even won this debate with a few seminary professors who said, "There
>is no real proof of God beyond faith" I showed them there was, and
>they agreed that I had showed them something new.

Right, & they haven't bleated this to the world because????????

>I was happy that such learned men could learn from one of their
>students.

If they are scholars, they wouldn't care who taught/showed them
someting new.
Being this "good news is not out" & being you are back to using
"nameless authorities", we can just cjhlak it up as another lie.
You see jezzie, if there was evidence for a god, & it was the
xian/Islamic/Judaic blood drinker you idiots of those myths would be
screaming it from the roftops & having your own little god back jihad
against all the non-believers.

This of course excludes the few sane xians I've met, as well as the
few sane members of the other mythologies that gve a blood thirsty god
the spot of honor.

BTW, it is possible to prove the possabilty of a god if you change the
definitions in use by a language. Care to post that evidence of
scholarly one?

>The spiritual gifts prove God exists.

Pettiness, selfcentered-ness, pompous noises, obnoxiousness, at least
in your case, foulness of mouth & habits, sloppy thinking, lieing, I
could waste more time but frankly jezeebeth, you are not worth the
effort.

snip USSC decision to not violate the US Constitution, yet.

walksalone who fnds hope in this discission, hope that the
constitution may in fact return as the basis of law in these un-united
states he calls home

Ron B.
2003-08-21 06:55:01 EST

Rodjk
2003-08-21 07:13:01 EST
John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<alq8kvcdnm5ievh4o04vsdikhs321ok16q@4ax.com>...
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:52:03 -0500, "Pro-Humanist FREELOVER"
> <phf@ghg.net> wrote:
>
> >Apparently, some are unaware of (or in denial
> >regarding) the mythical nature of the christian
> >bible and the being / entity of national pretense /
> >delusion referred to as God (in the national
> >motto, and on American coinage, money, and
> >assorted monuments, here and there) ...
> >
> One of the easiest things to prove is the existence of God.
>
> I even won this debate with a few seminary professors who said, "There
> is no real proof of God beyond faith" I showed them there was, and
> they agreed that I had showed them something new.
>
> I was happy that such learned men could learn from one of their
> students.
>
> The spiritual gifts prove God exists.

Wow...must have been difficult proving to seminary professors that
there is a god...for your next trick, why don't you convince a 4 year
old that there is a Santa...

Rodjk #613

> John W
> >---
> > By Bob Johnson
> > The Associated Press
> > Wednesday, August 20, 2003; 7:03 PM
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21337-2003Aug20.html
> >---
> >
> >Excerpts:
> >
> >Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore on Wednesday
> >lost a last-minute appeal to the Supreme Court to
> >save a Ten Commandments monument he installed
> >in a judicial building, clearing the way for its removal.
> >
> >The high court rejected Moore's emergency plea
> >for a stay, declining to be drawn into a dispute over
> >whether the 5,300-pound, granite monument violates
> >the Constitution's ban on government promotion of
> >religion.
> >
> > ... Moore's lawyers told the justices in a filing that
> >Moore should be allowed to "establish justice by
> >acknowledging the guidance and favor of Almighty
> >God, placed upon him by his oath of office and the
> >Constitution of Alabama."
> >
> >"This case is not about a monument, it's not about
> >politics or religion, it's about the acknowledgment
> >of God," Moore said on CBS' "The Early Show."
> >"We must acknowledge God because our consti-
> >tution says our justice system is established upon
> >God."
> >
> >The Supreme Court has never ruled on the consti-
> >tutionality of such indoor and outdoor government
> >displays. In 1980, the court barred Ten Command-
> >ments from classroom walls in public schools.
> >
> > ... Christian groups planned a rally and prayer ser-
> >vice Wednesday night, and one of the organizers,
> >Rev Patrick Mahoney of the Christian Defense
> >Coalition, said protesters would remain at the
> >building 24-hours a day.
> >
> >Associated Press writer Gina Holland in
> >Washington, D.C., contributed to this report.
> >
> >© 2003 The Associated Press
> >
> >- - - end excerpts - - -
> >
> >~~~
> >Pro-Humanist FREELOVER
> > http://www.ghg.net/phf
> >(Freethinking Realist Exploring
> >Expressive Liberty, Openness,
> >Verity, Enlightenment, & Rationality)
> >~~~

> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

Ninure Saunders
2003-08-21 09:32:03 EST
In article <3F445671.3080101@oftheMostHigh.God>, Deacon
<A_Servant@oftheMostHigh.God> wrote:

-Pro-Humanist FREELOADER wrote:
-> Apparently, some are unaware of (or in denial
-> regarding) the mythical nature of the christian
-> bible and the being / entity of national pretense /
-> delusion referred to as God (in the national
-> motto, and on American coinage, money, and
-> assorted monuments, here and there) ...
->
-> ---
-
-
-I can ignore much, but. So you think we should take the basis for our
-legal system out of the courthouse?

The basis of the legal US system is not the 10 commandments... but is
instead primarily English Law.

Or do you think murder, rape, theft. lying is has/was legal in the
European nations of the "Foiunders"?
-
-One man's myth is another man's life.

Which of course doesn't make the myth true.

-Think about it.
-
-Oh just a secondary thought, what were the framers of the Constitution
-thinking when they used the word Creator in the document. Must be
-because they believed it!

But many of them did not believe in "God":..i.e. the God of the "bible".

-
-Also, since I took the time to actually respond to you I'll ask again.
-There are many ngs related to atheism so why don't you seek a
-sympathetic audience?

Ninure Saunders aka Rainbow Christian
http://Rainbow-Christian.tk

The Lord is my Shepherd and He knows I'm Gay
http://Ninure-Saunders.tk

My Yahoo Group
http://Ninure.tk

My Online Diary
http://www.ninure.deardiary.net
-
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
http://www.MCCchurch.org

To send e-mail, remove nohate from address

Charles P
2003-08-21 10:05:17 EST
"walksalone" <walksalone@dirty.deeds.done.dirt.cheap.inc> wrote in message

> On 21 Aug 2003 06:35:52 GMT, John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

> >One of the easiest things to prove is the existence of God.

> Really now???
>etc. etc.

Discussing things like this with John is fruitless. Instead, ask him about
his trolling Usenet for incest porn, or about the sex stories he's written.

John W
2003-08-21 14:44:34 EST
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:22:13 GMT,
w*e@dirty.deeds.done.dirt.cheap.inc (walksalone) wrote:

>On 21 Aug 2003 06:35:52 GMT, John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:52:03 -0500, "Pro-Humanist FREELOVER"
>><phf@ghg.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Apparently, some are unaware of (or in denial
>>>regarding) the mythical nature of the christian
>>>bible and the being / entity of national pretense /
>>>delusion referred to as God (in the national
>>>motto, and on American coinage, money, and
>>>assorted monuments, here and there) ...
>

>>One of the easiest things to prove is the existence of God.
>
>Really now??? Let's look at that, can you
>A: Define a god in any manner that is not contradictory [all those
>omnis are in fact contradictory whether you admit it or not]

Not at all. And you have the right to your warped opinion. You try to
put Almighty God in a box. You cannot.

>B: Can you provide evidence, real world evidence that there is a god?

No evidence on earth or in heave will convince you. If Jesus knocked
on your door in an hour, levitating a foot off the ground,, and showed
you His scars, you'd slam the door in His face. YOu cannot convince
those who aren't interested. You simply aren't interested.

>C: Just why the hell haven't you for if you did there coukd be no
>atheits anywhere in the world. A god would be known to exist.

There is evidence for those who are interested.

"For the believer, no proof is required; for the non-believer, no
proof is adequate."

>>I even won this debate with a few seminary professors who said, "There
>>is no real proof of God beyond faith" I showed them there was, and
>>they agreed that I had showed them something new.
>
>Right, & they haven't bleated this to the world because????????
>
>>I was happy that such learned men could learn from one of their
>>students.
>
>If they are scholars, they wouldn't care who taught/showed them
>someting new.

Nonsense. Scholars have their blind spots like everyone else. I have
interacted with NUMEROUS scientists who were LEARNED men; when I tried
to show them evidence for Christianity, I was brushed aside, with my
evidence, with a mere, "not interested."

I'd ask "Why not?"

"I'm an atheist; I wouldn't care if He came in here and walked on
water!"

This is typical of the interaction I've had with "closed-minded
scholars". Some of them were even in seminary.

>Being this "good news is not out" & being you are back to using
>"nameless authorities", we can just cjhlak it up as another lie.

Hahahahahahaha! I could say it's 11:39 AM Seattle time, and you'd find
some way to call it a lie.

YOu fool only yourself, demon.

>You see jezzie, if there was evidence for a god, & it was the
>xian/Islamic/Judaic blood drinker you idiots of those myths would be
>screaming it from the roftops & having your own little god back jihad
>against all the non-believers.

When the Christian "Jihad" begins, He will lead the charge, and you
will be helpless to resist. Until then, make all the noise you with.

You fool no one but yourself.

>This of course excludes the few sane xians I've met, as well as the
>few sane members of the other mythologies that gve a blood thirsty god
>the spot of honor.

You wouldn't know a sane person if he laughed in your silly face.

>BTW, it is possible to prove the possabilty of a god if you change the
>definitions in use by a language. Care to post that evidence of
>scholarly one?
>
>>The spiritual gifts prove God exists.
>
>Pettiness, selfcentered-ness, pompous noises, obnoxiousness, at least
>in your case, foulness of mouth & habits, sloppy thinking, lieing, I
>could waste more time but frankly jezeebeth, you are not worth the
>effort.

I have apologized several times for my emotional outbursts; we all
have them; at least I'm honest about mine. Your false accusations,
however, are a badge of honor. And I thank you. Those who know me know
I'm not a liar. You don't know me, so you have NO clue. YOu call your
erroneous assumptions "fact", while I stand behind the "inside
information" I've shared. I should not have told some of it, such as
the MMS evidence, but it's done now.

And frankly, walks, you aren't worth any more time.

< snip >

God bless you!

John W

>snip USSC decision to not violate the US Constitution, yet.
>
>walksalone who fnds hope in this discission, hope that the
>constitution may in fact return as the basis of law in these un-united
>states he calls home

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)