Bible Discussion: Memorized & Repeated Prayers ?

Memorized & Repeated Prayers ?

Streamer
2004-11-09 02:02:27 EST
Why do some people keep on repeating over & over & over their memorized
prayers ?
Do you think God will be happy to listen to those kinds of prayers ? They
even count it.

ChuckkPF
2004-11-09 05:03:58 EST
"Streamer" <jcjuno@optonline.net> wrote in message

> Why do some people keep on repeating over & over & over their memorized
> prayers ?

It's similar to repeating mantras, or to using Tibetan prayer wheels.
I like the prayer wheel idea better, I'm more of a mechanically minded
person.

> Do you think God will be happy to listen to those kinds of prayers ? They
> even count it.

Apparently, God is so insecure, jealous, and in need of worship that
He'll take anything he can get.

JCB
2004-11-09 09:04:05 EST
> Why do some people keep on repeating over & over & over their memorized
> prayers ?
> Do you think God will be happy to listen to those kinds of prayers ? They
> even count it.

Heshians (sp?) or 'breath prayers' are the repeated prayers found in many
of the more orthodox versions of Christianity. Usually they are meant as
more of a discipline of the heart that what we would refer to as traditional
prayer. They usually are a 3 to 4 word sentence or idea that can be said in
the exhale of a breath. The idea is to continue to say them throughout the
day in order to keep God constantly in mind.

Do they count? God sees the heart, so I will leave that up to him.

God Bless,
JCB

"Streamer" <jcjuno@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<7YZjd.48643$fF6.21142422@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Why do some people keep on repeating over & over & over their memorized
> prayers ?
> Do you think God will be happy to listen to those kinds of prayers ? They
> even count it.

God reads your heart.
A memorized prayer with a sincere good heart may beat a long
egocentric sermon or an attempt to manipulate God with "...you
promised it now do it.." prayer.

Icono
2004-11-09 09:46:12 EST

"Streamer" <jcjuno@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Why do some people keep on repeating over & over & over their memorized
> prayers ?
> Do you think God will be happy to listen to those kinds of prayers ? They
> even count it.

A song /psalm sung over and over is a method of "worship".

FearRua
2004-11-09 10:45:29 EST
"Streamer" <jcjuno@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<7YZjd.48643$fF6.21142422@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Why do some people keep on repeating over & over & over their memorized
> prayers ?
> Do you think God will be happy to listen to those kinds of prayers ? They
> even count it.

Then the Psalms should be ripped out of the Bible?

M*@you.net
2004-11-09 14:00:38 EST
fOn Tue, 09 Nov 2004 07:02:27 GMT, "Streamer" <jcjuno@optonline.net>
wrote:

>Why do some people keep on repeating over & over & over their
memorized
>prayers ?
>Do you think God will be happy to listen to those kinds of prayers ?
They
>even count it.

Mat 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen
do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
:o)

Streamer
2004-11-09 17:47:54 EST

"JCB" <jcb2354@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> "Streamer" <jcjuno@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> Why do some people keep on repeating over & over & over their memorized
>> prayers ?
>> Do you think God will be happy to listen to those kinds of prayers ? They
>> even count it.
>
> Heshians (sp?) or 'breath prayers' are the repeated prayers found in many
> of the more orthodox versions of Christianity. Usually they are meant as
> more of a discipline of the heart that what we would refer to as
> traditional prayer. They usually are a 3 to 4 word sentence or idea that
> can be said in the exhale of a breath. The idea is to continue to say
> them throughout the day in order to keep God constantly in mind.
>
> Do they count? God sees the heart, so I will leave that up to him.
>
> God Bless,
> JCB

What you mentioned is something that people want or their own interpretation
of prayer. I believe that we should refer to the Bible to make sure that
what we do (including prayers) is what God wants us to do.

* About the "idea to continue to say them throughout the day in order to
keep God constantly in mind",
This is just to prove that the person doing this is not a real christian. He
has to do this by his own effort & style.
Not true in a real spirit-filled christian.

Read this verse:

John14:26: But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will
send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your
remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Streamer
2004-11-09 17:50:47 EST

"icono" <icono@cox.net> wrote in message

> "Streamer" <jcjuno@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> Why do some people keep on repeating over & over & over their memorized
>> prayers ?
>> Do you think God will be happy to listen to those kinds of prayers ? They
>> even count it.
>
> A song /psalm sung over and over is a method of "worship".

Singing is different than talking or communicating with God.

Streamer
2004-11-09 19:14:50 EST

"FearRua" <FearRua@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Streamer" <jcjuno@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> Why do some people keep on repeating over & over & over their memorized
>> prayers ?
>> Do you think God will be happy to listen to those kinds of prayers ? They
>> even count it.
>
> Then the Psalms should be ripped out of the Bible?

Singing is different than talking or communicating with God.
When Jesus prayed, did He use Psalms to talk to the Father ?
Why don't you gather all verses when Jesus & the apostles prayed before you
ripped out Psalms ?