Bible Discussion: Changing My Religion?

Changing My Religion?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Next  (First | Last)

Rico
2004-11-05 07:55:30 EST
Would anyone be able to suggest ways in which I might be able to determine
if it's time to change my denomination. I've been going to the Salvation
Army for the last 12 years, but recently started going to a pentecostal
church as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm being a religious adulterer
because of this but I feel so free in the pentecostal church.

When I started going to the pentecostal church I was severly pissed with
someone from the Salvos and was planning on leaving immediately if the
pentecostal church service was good, but after a few weeks of going to both
churches, salvos in the morning- pentecostal in the evenings (plus God
telling me that the time for change was not then) I thought that maybe I
could use the pentecostal church as a learning tool. No one there demanded
anything of me, they just showed me that they cared (@ the pentecostal
church), I sort of half expected to be either totally ignored or have senior
members of the church harassing me to come back (if either had happended I
would not have thought about returning), as it was, I was the one that
approached one of the elders which being an introvert I would not normally
have done! It was 3 weeks before the senior pastor introduced himself.
Just last sunday a request was made for musicians who weren't part of the
band to indicate if they felt called to use their abilities in the church
(something I've been doing in the salvos, with the feeling that I was only
going for that reason), I hadn't intended to become part of another
churches band and with my work scheduel it's impossible for me to attend
rehearsals on a wednesday, but there I was after being prophecied to that I
was inside a shell and that God wanted 'smash the shell' (I had been praying
eairler in the day about feeling like I'm being shoved into a box having to
conform to set rules and just wanted to be free be myself before God),
indicating that I felt called to be part of the band. Mum says she feels
I'm at a cross road in my spiritual life, and says that if going to both
churches makes me happy then I should continue to do so, but it DOES NOT
make me happy, it's just bringing more confusion.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Fraser
2004-11-05 09:23:35 EST
Good morning Rico;

"Rico" <hoganrj@bigpond.net.au.au> wrote in message
> Would anyone be able to suggest ways in which I might be able to determine
> if it's time to change my denomination. I've been going to the Salvation
> Army for the last 12 years, but recently started going to a pentecostal
> church as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm being a religious adulterer
> because of this but I feel so free in the pentecostal church.

You're not betraying the brotherhood unless you intend to leave them
hanging. Still, your loyalty is a good thing as it shows not all of your
experiences were negative.

More than anything, would I be correct in assuming that you feel
something is lacking? As for rules, you will encounter good and bad
regardless of where you attend church, work, or even society. Perhaps the
issue is that you're being pushed and it's not a comfortable feeling. Jesus
stated that his disciples were to preach the Gospel to all the world. For
an introvert, that means a makeover of personal habits. Great for prayer,
potentially disastrous for witnessing.

As for selection of which type of church, or specifically which church,
that's difficult to say. God needs good role models in all churches, not
just the ones we choose. Your consideration of changing churches could be
temporary, or perhaps a permanent one depending on the source of the
friction you encountered at the Sally Ann. Both have their good points, but
the final decision is ultimately up to you and what's most comfortable.

As for prayer: when you can pray for people like Osama bin Laden and
Saddam Hussein that they know Jesus and become respectable leaders, then you
will begin to understand what Jesus meant by moving mountains. Phil 4:8

Cheers,
John

> When I started going to the pentecostal church I was severly pissed with
> someone from the Salvos and was planning on leaving immediately if the
> pentecostal church service was good, but after a few weeks of going to
> both
> churches, salvos in the morning- pentecostal in the evenings (plus God
> telling me that the time for change was not then) I thought that maybe I
> could use the pentecostal church as a learning tool. No one there
> demanded
> anything of me, they just showed me that they cared (@ the pentecostal
> church), I sort of half expected to be either totally ignored or have
> senior
> members of the church harassing me to come back (if either had happended I
> would not have thought about returning), as it was, I was the one that
> approached one of the elders which being an introvert I would not normally
> have done! It was 3 weeks before the senior pastor introduced himself.
> Just last sunday a request was made for musicians who weren't part of the
> band to indicate if they felt called to use their abilities in the church
> (something I've been doing in the salvos, with the feeling that I was only
> going for that reason), I hadn't intended to become part of another
> churches band and with my work scheduel it's impossible for me to attend
> rehearsals on a wednesday, but there I was after being prophecied to that
> was inside a shell and that God wanted 'smash the shell' (I had been
> praying
> eairler in the day about feeling like I'm being shoved into a box having
> conform to set rules and just wanted to be free be myself before God),
> indicating that I felt called to be part of the band. Mum says she feels
> I'm at a cross road in my spiritual life, and says that if going to both
> churches makes me happy then I should continue to do so, but it DOES NOT
> make me happy, it's just bringing more confusion.
>
> HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pastor Dave
2004-11-05 10:59:03 EST
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:55:30 +1100, while wondering if
all people love cupcakes, "Rico"
<*j@bigpond.net.au.au> yodeled:

>Would anyone be able to suggest ways in which I might be able to determine
>if it's time to change my denomination. I've been going to the Salvation
>Army for the last 12 years, but recently started going to a pentecostal
>church as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm being a religious adulterer
>because of this but I feel so free in the pentecostal church.

Pentecostal is a dangerous thing. But why seek
denominations at all? They're anti-Scriptural. Read 1
Corinthians 1:10-13.

Pastor Dave
2004-11-05 11:52:14 EST
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:55:30 +1100, while wondering if
all people love cupcakes, "Rico"
<*j@bigpond.net.au.au> yodeled:

>Would anyone be able to suggest ways in which I might be able to determine
>if it's time to change my denomination. I've been going to the Salvation
>Army for the last 12 years, but recently started going to a pentecostal
>church as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm being a religious adulterer
>because of this but I feel so free in the pentecostal church.

Pentecostal is a dangerous thing. But why seek
denominations at all? We all need to be of the TRUE religion, Baptist.

--

� Pastor Dave �

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee: neither
have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out of my lips
was right before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is
the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17
/}
@#####{]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\}

Poochini
2004-11-05 12:58:21 EST
Dear Rico

Why don't you try joining the Church Christ Himself Started? The Catholic
Church

Just think, you will be able to rely on some 2000 years of sound doctrine
endorsed and practiced by about a billion people on the planet! You won't
have to sift through 236 Protestant denominations that can't agree on
anything and vary in their interpretation of Scripture.
The Catholic Church teaches one Bible-based doctrine through its catechism
and you won't have to worry about whether the Church you're attending is on
the up and up because you belong to "the church of what's happening now".

All best wishes as you look for the way home. Come home where it's
safe...Your friend in Christ..F

"Rico" <hoganrj@bigpond.net.au.au> wrote in message
> Would anyone be able to suggest ways in which I might be able to determine
> if it's time to change my denomination. I've been going to the Salvation
> Army for the last 12 years, but recently started going to a pentecostal
> church as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm being a religious adulterer
> because of this but I feel so free in the pentecostal church.
>
> When I started going to the pentecostal church I was severly pissed with
> someone from the Salvos and was planning on leaving immediately if the
> pentecostal church service was good, but after a few weeks of going to
both
> churches, salvos in the morning- pentecostal in the evenings (plus God
> telling me that the time for change was not then) I thought that maybe I
> could use the pentecostal church as a learning tool. No one there
demanded
> anything of me, they just showed me that they cared (@ the pentecostal
> church), I sort of half expected to be either totally ignored or have
senior
> members of the church harassing me to come back (if either had happended I
> would not have thought about returning), as it was, I was the one that
> approached one of the elders which being an introvert I would not normally
> have done! It was 3 weeks before the senior pastor introduced himself.
> Just last sunday a request was made for musicians who weren't part of the
> band to indicate if they felt called to use their abilities in the church
> (something I've been doing in the salvos, with the feeling that I was only
> going for that reason), I hadn't intended to become part of another
> churches band and with my work scheduel it's impossible for me to attend
> rehearsals on a wednesday, but there I was after being prophecied to that
> was inside a shell and that God wanted 'smash the shell' (I had been
praying
> eairler in the day about feeling like I'm being shoved into a box having
> conform to set rules and just wanted to be free be myself before God),
> indicating that I felt called to be part of the band. Mum says she feels
> I'm at a cross road in my spiritual life, and says that if going to both
> churches makes me happy then I should continue to do so, but it DOES NOT
> make me happy, it's just bringing more confusion.
>
> HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U2 Fan
2004-11-05 13:16:08 EST
I'd stick with the sal. army, surely in 12 years you've got some good
friends there.
I've gone rounds loads of churches looking for what's missing in mine ( fun
birds ), they don't seem to have "it" either.
If you have friends in both great, you have increased your fellowship, all
churches should be in unity, in theory they all worship the same Christ.

Dore
2004-11-05 17:17:59 EST
"Rico" <hoganrj@bigpond.net.au.au> wrote in message
> Would anyone be able to suggest ways in which I might be able to determine
> if it's time to change my denomination. I've been going to the Salvation
> Army for the last 12 years, but recently started going to a pentecostal
> church as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm being a religious adulterer
> because of this but I feel so free in the pentecostal church.
>
> When I started going to the pentecostal church I was severly pissed with
> someone from the Salvos and was planning on leaving immediately if the
> pentecostal church service was good, but after a few weeks of going to
both
> churches, salvos in the morning- pentecostal in the evenings (plus God
> telling me that the time for change was not then) I thought that maybe I
> could use the pentecostal church as a learning tool. No one there
demanded
> anything of me, they just showed me that they cared (@ the pentecostal
> church), I sort of half expected to be either totally ignored or have
senior
> members of the church harassing me to come back (if either had happended I
> would not have thought about returning), as it was, I was the one that
> approached one of the elders which being an introvert I would not normally
> have done! It was 3 weeks before the senior pastor introduced himself.
> Just last sunday a request was made for musicians who weren't part of the
> band to indicate if they felt called to use their abilities in the church
> (something I've been doing in the salvos, with the feeling that I was only
> going for that reason), I hadn't intended to become part of another
> churches band and with my work scheduel it's impossible for me to attend
> rehearsals on a wednesday, but there I was after being prophecied to that
> was inside a shell and that God wanted 'smash the shell' (I had been
praying
> eairler in the day about feeling like I'm being shoved into a box having
> conform to set rules and just wanted to be free be myself before God),
> indicating that I felt called to be part of the band. Mum says she feels
> I'm at a cross road in my spiritual life, and says that if going to both
> churches makes me happy then I should continue to do so, but it DOES NOT
> make me happy, it's just bringing more confusion.
>
> HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have a relationship with God or just a church? Apparently your church
attendance is more important to you than a close personal, intimate
relationship with God, which is NOT found in a church, but at home, being
ALONE WITH GOD. Do you really need some other human teaching you what the
Word says, or are you capable of reading by yourself? If you want to be FREE
and be yourself before God, He doesn't attend church, so why don't you got
to Him FIRST and ALONE instead. Do what the Word says and let the Holy
Spirit teach you God's truths. Obviously, you are more dedicated to church
attendance than to God, Himself. What is more important, KNOWING GOD or
going to church?

--
Dore

www.dorewilliamson.com

"Rico" <hoganrj@bigpond.net.au.au> wrote in message
> Would anyone be able to suggest ways in which I might be able to determine
> if it's time to change my denomination. I've been going to the Salvation
> Army for the last 12 years, but recently started going to a pentecostal
> church as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm being a religious adulterer
> because of this but I feel so free in the pentecostal church.
>
> When I started going to the pentecostal church I was severly pissed with
> someone from the Salvos and was planning on leaving immediately if the
> pentecostal church service was good, but after a few weeks of going to
both
> churches, salvos in the morning- pentecostal in the evenings (plus God
> telling me that the time for change was not then) I thought that maybe I
> could use the pentecostal church as a learning tool. No one there
demanded
> anything of me, they just showed me that they cared (@ the pentecostal
> church), I sort of half expected to be either totally ignored or have
senior
> members of the church harassing me to come back (if either had happended I
> would not have thought about returning), as it was, I was the one that
> approached one of the elders which being an introvert I would not normally
> have done! It was 3 weeks before the senior pastor introduced himself.
> Just last sunday a request was made for musicians who weren't part of the
> band to indicate if they felt called to use their abilities in the church
> (something I've been doing in the salvos, with the feeling that I was only
> going for that reason), I hadn't intended to become part of another
> churches band and with my work scheduel it's impossible for me to attend
> rehearsals on a wednesday, but there I was after being prophecied to that
> was inside a shell and that God wanted 'smash the shell' (I had been
praying
> eairler in the day about feeling like I'm being shoved into a box having
> conform to set rules and just wanted to be free be myself before God),
> indicating that I felt called to be part of the band. Mum says she feels
> I'm at a cross road in my spiritual life, and says that if going to both
> churches makes me happy then I should continue to do so, but it DOES NOT
> make me happy, it's just bringing more confusion.
>
> HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pastor Dave
2004-11-05 17:22:34 EST
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:58:21 GMT, while wondering if
all people love cupcakes, "poochini"
<*o@mindspring.com> yodeled:

>Dear Rico
>
>Why don't you try joining the Church Christ Himself Started? The Catholic
>Church

He did not start the Catholic Church. Why don't you
quit lying?

Poochini
2004-11-05 17:44:31 EST
Who was St. Peter? The First Pope? Doesn't your Bible have Matthew 16:18?
"And I tell you that you are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church,
and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of
the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven
and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." And seeing that
the Bible may be interpreted literally as well as metaphorically you may
also note that St. Peter (Christ's Successor) is buried under the VATICAN!!

"Pastor Dave" <pastordave38@nospam-yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:58:21 GMT, while wondering if
> all people love cupcakes, "poochini"
> <minimo@mindspring.com> yodeled:
>
> >Dear Rico
> >
> >Why don't you try joining the Church Christ Himself Started? The
Catholic
> >Church
>
> He did not start the Catholic Church. Why don't you
> quit lying?

Poochini
2004-11-05 17:51:33 EST
Dear Dore:

Have you ever heard of the Third Commandment-- which requires exterior and
public worship in "Keeping the Sabbath Holy"

And if you're wondering what part of the Word that comes from that would be
the Old Testament. Jesus says the OLD Law is not negated by the covenant of
the New Testament.

Weekly attendance (worship) at a Church is a requirement of God's Law.