Bible Discussion: How Did We Get The New Testament?

How Did We Get The New Testament?

Voice Of Truth
2004-10-16 00:53:44 EST
How did we get the New Testament?

As we have seen, the Gospels were written at different times. We put
them at the beginning of the New Testament, but, of course, they were
not the first books to be written. The letters of Paul and other
writers were sent to groups of Christians scattered about in various
parts of the world. So when were all these separate works gathered
together to form a volume and added to the Old Testament to make what
we call the Bible?

Well, they were not collected together for the best part of 300 years.

So for centuries, the separate work that make up the New Testament
were bit together in one volume, were not in the possession of most
Christians, and were even unknown in some groups.

What is called the "Canon", the list of New Testament books we have
now, was settled in 397 A.D. at the Council of Carthage, in N. Africa.
It was decided by the Bishops at that meeting, who then said that the
list should be sent to Rome to be confirmed as authoritative. At the
Council of Carthage, then, is the first time we find a clear list of
all the New Testament books as we have them in the Bible now. Before
then Bishops had certainly drawn up lists of books that are more or
less the same as our New Testament, but not exactly the same.

Before the Council of Carthage in 397 there were three distinct
classes into which Christian books were divided:

Those books that were officially recognised: the 4 Gospels, the Acts
of the Apostles, the letters of St. Paul. These were read aloud at the
Eucharistic celebrations.

A second group was those books that were "disputed". That means that
in some places they were recognised, in others rejected. Among these
books we find the Letters of James, Jude, Peter; the 2nd. and 3rd
Letters of John; the Letter to the Hebrews; and the Apocalypse. There
were doubts about these works. They were suspected. Some of these
disputed books are found in our New Testament. Some were rejected
completely, even though in some places they had been read at public
worship. For example, there were the Shepherd of Hermes, the Letter of
Barnabas, the Gospel according to the Hebrews, the Letter of Paul to
the Laodiceans. Some of these are probably read by men studying for
the priesthood today, but nobody else reads them and would find it
difficult to obtain them if he or she wanted to.

The last class of book floating around before 397 is those which were
never acknowledged as having any value in the Church. They were full
of superstitions and ridiculous stories of miracles of Our Lord and
the Apostles which made them a laughing-stock. We know the names of
about 50 Gospels (such as the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of James),
about 22 Acts (like the Acts of Pilate, Acts of Paul, and others).
They were all condemned as "Apocrypha" -- that is, false and
uncanonical.

We must remember, too, that there were many spurious books floating
around among Christians in the early centuries. We know the names of
many of them. The Catholic Church rejected these and guarded the
collection of inspired writings from being mixed up with them. Once a
Council of the Church had spoken (in 397 and again in 419), and Rome
had confirmed it, all doubt ceased among Christians as to what was
genuine and what was not. The Church sifted, weighed, discussed,
rejected, and finally decided what was what. Here she rejected a
writing that was once very popular and reckoned by many as inspired
and was actually read as Scripture at public services; there, she
accepted another that was very much disputed and viewed with
suspicion, and said, "This is to go into the New Testament". The
Church had the evidence before her; the tradition to help her; and,
above all, the assistance of the Holy Spirit to enable her to come to
a right conclusion in so important a matter. The decrees of the
Councils of Carthage were reaffirmed by the Council of Florence in
1442 under Pope Eugenius IV, and again by the Council of Trent in
1546.
We should get this firmly:

The Church existed before the Bible.
The Church wrote the Bible.
The Church selected its books.
The Church preserved the Bible.

Fr. Francis Jamieson (March 20, 2004)

http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/columns/francisjamieson/biblefacts/bible05.asp

Raven1
2004-10-16 01:20:34 EST
On 15 Oct 2004 21:53:44 -0700, voiceoftruth227@hotmail.com (Voice of
Truth) wrote:

>The last class of book floating around before 397 is those which were
>never acknowledged as having any value in the Church. They were full
>of superstitions and ridiculous stories of miracles of Our Lord and
>the Apostles which made them a laughing-stock.

It would be impressive if they contained more superstitions and
ridiculous stories of miracles than the "canonical" Gospels...

R*@te.com?
2004-10-16 02:24:49 EST
Truth) wrote:

>How did we get the New Testament?

How did we get the fairytales of trolls and witches by Asbjørnsen and
Moe? They collected all the stories they'd heard...

Phÿltêr
2004-10-16 02:45:31 EST
v*7@hotmail.com (Voice of Truth) astounded us with:

> How did we get the New Testament?

Some arab goat fuckers took a dump on some papyrus.

--
Ph\ufffdlt\ufffdr
AA#1938

Michelle Malkin
2004-10-16 03:14:49 EST

"Rune B\ufffdrsj\ufffd" <buggeroffm@te.com> wrote in message
> On 15 Oct 2004 21:53:44 -0700, voiceoftruth227@hotmail.com (Voice of
> Truth) wrote:
>
> >How did we get the New Testament?
>
> How did we get the fairytales of trolls and witches by Asbj\ufffdrnsen and
> Moe? They collected all the stories they'd heard...

Darn! I was just going to say pure carelessness.

Ash
2004-10-16 08:53:42 EST
Voice of Truth wrote:

> How did we get the New Testament?