Bible Discussion: What Went Wrong With The Republican Party? By G.K......

What Went Wrong With The Republican Party? By G.K......
Posts: 11

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)

T. Jefferson
2004-10-02 09:57:32 EST
August 27, 2004

We're Not in Lake Wobegon Anymore

By Garrison Keillor


Something has gone seriously haywire with the Republican Party. Once,
it was the party of pragmatic Main Street businessmen in steel-rimmed
spectacles who decried profligacy and waste, were devoted to their
communities and supported the sort of prosperity that raises all
ships. They were good-hearted people who vanquished the gnarlier
elements of their party, the paranoid Roosevelt-haters, the flat
Earthers and Prohibitionists, the antipapist antiforeigner element.
The genial Eisenhower was their man, a genuine American hero of D-Day,
who made it OK for reasonable people to vote Republican.

He brought the Korean War to a stalemate, produced the Interstate
Highway System, declined to rescue the French colonial army in
Vietnam, and gave us a period of peace and prosperity, in which
(oddly) American arts and letters flourished and higher education
burgeoned---and there was a degree of plain decency in the country.
Fifties Republicans were giants compared to today’s. Richard Nixon was
the last Republican leader to feel a Christian obligation toward the
poor.

In the years between Nixon and Newt Gingrich, the party migrated
southward down the Twisting Trail of Rhetoric and sneered at the idea
of public service and became the Scourge of Liberalism, the Great
Crusade Against the Sixties, the Death Star of Government, a gang of
pirates that diverted and fascinated the media by their sheer
chutzpah, such as the misty-eyed flag-waving of Ronald Reagan who,
while George McGovern flew bombers in World War II, took a pass and
made training films in Long Beach.

The Nixon moderate vanished like the passenger pigeon, purged by a
legion of angry white men who rose to power on pure punk politics.
"Bipartisanship is another term of date rape," says Grover Norquist,
the Sid Vicious of the GOP. "I don’t want to abolish government. I
simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the
bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." The boy has Oedipal problems
and government is his daddy.

The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified into the party of
hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based
economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of
convenience, freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking
midgets of AM radio, tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brownshirts
in pinstripes, sweatshop tycoons, hacks, fakirs, aggressive dorks,
Lamborghini libertarians, people who believe Neil Armstrong’s moonwalk
was filmed in Roswell, New Mexico, little honkers out to diminish the
rest of us, Newt’s evil spawn and their Etch-A-Sketch president, a
dull and rigid man suspicious of the free flow of information and of
secular institutions, whose philosophy is a jumble of badly sutured
body parts trying to walk. Republicans: The No.1 reason the rest of
the world thinks we’re deaf, dumb and dangerous.

Rich ironies abound! Lies pop up like toadstools in the forest! Wild
swine crowd round the public trough! Outrageous gerrymandering! Pocket
lining on a massive scale! Paid lobbyists sit in committee rooms and
write legislation to alleviate the suffering of billionaires!
Hypocrisies shine like cat turds in the moonlight! O Mark Twain, where
art thou at this hour? Arise and behold the Gilded Age reincarnated
gaudier than ever, upholding great wealth as the sure sign of Divine
Grace.

Here in 2004, George W. Bush is running for reelection on a platform
of tragedy---the single greatest failure of national defense in our
history, the attacks of 9/11 in which 19 men with box cutters put this
nation into a tailspin, a failure the details of which the White House
fought to keep secret even as it ran the country into hock up to the
hubcaps, thanks to generous tax cuts for the well-fixed, hoping to
lead us into a box canyon of debt that will render government
impotent, even as we engage in a war against a small country that was
undertaken for the president’s personal satisfaction but sold to the
American public on the basis of brazen misinformation, a war whose
purpose is to distract us from an enormous transfer of wealth taking
place in this country, flowing upward, and the deception is working
beautifully.

The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the few is the
death knell of democracy. No republic in the history of humanity has
survived this. The election of 2004 will say something about what
happens to ours. The omens are not good.

Our beloved land has been fogged with fear----fear, the greatest
political strategy ever. An ominous silence, distant sirens, a
drumbeat of whispered warnings and alarms to keep the public uneasy
and silence the opposition. And in a time of vague fear, you can
appoint bullet-brained judges, strip the bark off the Constitution,
eviscerate federal regulatory agencies, bring public education to a
standstill, stupefy the press, lavish gorgeous tax breaks on the rich.

There is a stink drifting through this election year. It isn’t the
Florida recount or the Supreme Court decision. No, it’s 9/11 that we
keep coming back to. It wasn’t the "end of innocence", or a turning
point in our history, or a cosmic occurrence, it was an event, a lapse
of security. And patriotism shouldn’t prevent people from asking hard
questions of the man who was purportedly in charge of national
security at the time.

Whenever I think of those New Yorkers hurrying along Park Place or
getting off the No.1 Broadway local, hustling toward their office on
the 90th floor, the morning paper under their arms, I think of that
non-reader George W. Bush and how he hopes to exploit those people
with a little economic uptick, maybe the capture of Osama, cruise to
victory in November and proceed to get some serious nation-changing
done in his second term.

This year, as in the past, Republicans will portray us Democrats as
embittered academics, desiccated Unitarians, whacked-out hippies and
communards, people who talk to telephone poles, the party of the
Deadheads. They will wave enormous flags and wow over and over the
footage of firemen in the wreckage of the World Trade Center and
bodies being carried out and they will lie about their economic
policies with astonishing enthusiasm.

The Union is what needs defending this year. Government of Enron and
by Halliburton and for the Southern Baptists is not the same as what
Lincoln spoke of. This gang of Pithecanthropus Republicanii has
humbugged us to death on terrorism and tax cuts for the comfy and
school prayer and flag burning and claimed the right to know what
books we read and to dump their sewage upstream from the town and
clear-cut the forests and gut the IRS and mark up the constitution on
behalf of intolerance and promote the corporate takeover of the public
airwaves and to hell with anybody who opposes them.

This is a great country, and it wasn’t made so by angry people. We
have a sacred duty to bequeath it to our grandchildren in better shape
than however we found it. We have a long way to go and we’re not
getting any younger.

Dante said that the hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who in
time of crisis remain neutral, so I have spoken my piece, and thank
you, dear reader. It’s a beautiful world, rain or shine, and there is
more to life than winning.



© 2004 In These Times



Marty Mcmahone
2004-10-02 10:37:11 EST
Wow. What a load of crap. Is that really Keillor writing?

"T. Jefferson" <teejay@ilovemycountry.com> wrote in message
news:6bFeQZQVVx7fizXFq=lkvRMA3yQ4@4ax.com...
> August 27, 2004
>
> We're Not in Lake Wobegon Anymore
>
> By Garrison Keillor
>
>
> Something has gone seriously haywire with the Republican Party. Once,
> it was the party of pragmatic Main Street businessmen in steel-rimmed
> spectacles who decried profligacy and waste, were devoted to their
> communities and supported the sort of prosperity that raises all
> ships. They were good-hearted people who vanquished the gnarlier
> elements of their party, the paranoid Roosevelt-haters, the flat
> Earthers and Prohibitionists, the antipapist antiforeigner element.
> The genial Eisenhower was their man, a genuine American hero of D-Day,
> who made it OK for reasonable people to vote Republican.
>
> He brought the Korean War to a stalemate, produced the Interstate
> Highway System, declined to rescue the French colonial army in
> Vietnam, and gave us a period of peace and prosperity, in which
> (oddly) American arts and letters flourished and higher education
> burgeoned---and there was a degree of plain decency in the country.
> Fifties Republicans were giants compared to today's. Richard Nixon was
> the last Republican leader to feel a Christian obligation toward the
> poor.
>
> In the years between Nixon and Newt Gingrich, the party migrated
> southward down the Twisting Trail of Rhetoric and sneered at the idea
> of public service and became the Scourge of Liberalism, the Great
> Crusade Against the Sixties, the Death Star of Government, a gang of
> pirates that diverted and fascinated the media by their sheer
> chutzpah, such as the misty-eyed flag-waving of Ronald Reagan who,
> while George McGovern flew bombers in World War II, took a pass and
> made training films in Long Beach.
>
> The Nixon moderate vanished like the passenger pigeon, purged by a
> legion of angry white men who rose to power on pure punk politics.
> "Bipartisanship is another term of date rape," says Grover Norquist,
> the Sid Vicious of the GOP. "I don't want to abolish government. I
> simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the
> bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." The boy has Oedipal problems
> and government is his daddy.
>
> The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified into the party of
> hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based
> economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of
> convenience, freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking
> midgets of AM radio, tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brownshirts
> in pinstripes, sweatshop tycoons, hacks, fakirs, aggressive dorks,
> Lamborghini libertarians, people who believe Neil Armstrong's moonwalk
> was filmed in Roswell, New Mexico, little honkers out to diminish the
> rest of us, Newt's evil spawn and their Etch-A-Sketch president, a
> dull and rigid man suspicious of the free flow of information and of
> secular institutions, whose philosophy is a jumble of badly sutured
> body parts trying to walk. Republicans: The No.1 reason the rest of
> the world thinks we're deaf, dumb and dangerous.
>
> Rich ironies abound! Lies pop up like toadstools in the forest! Wild
> swine crowd round the public trough! Outrageous gerrymandering! Pocket
> lining on a massive scale! Paid lobbyists sit in committee rooms and
> write legislation to alleviate the suffering of billionaires!
> Hypocrisies shine like cat turds in the moonlight! O Mark Twain, where
> art thou at this hour? Arise and behold the Gilded Age reincarnated
> gaudier than ever, upholding great wealth as the sure sign of Divine
> Grace.
>
> Here in 2004, George W. Bush is running for reelection on a platform
> of tragedy---the single greatest failure of national defense in our
> history, the attacks of 9/11 in which 19 men with box cutters put this
> nation into a tailspin, a failure the details of which the White House
> fought to keep secret even as it ran the country into hock up to the
> hubcaps, thanks to generous tax cuts for the well-fixed, hoping to
> lead us into a box canyon of debt that will render government
> impotent, even as we engage in a war against a small country that was
> undertaken for the president's personal satisfaction but sold to the
> American public on the basis of brazen misinformation, a war whose
> purpose is to distract us from an enormous transfer of wealth taking
> place in this country, flowing upward, and the deception is working
> beautifully.
>
> The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the few is the
> death knell of democracy. No republic in the history of humanity has
> survived this. The election of 2004 will say something about what
> happens to ours. The omens are not good.
>
> Our beloved land has been fogged with fear----fear, the greatest
> political strategy ever. An ominous silence, distant sirens, a
> drumbeat of whispered warnings and alarms to keep the public uneasy
> and silence the opposition. And in a time of vague fear, you can
> appoint bullet-brained judges, strip the bark off the Constitution,
> eviscerate federal regulatory agencies, bring public education to a
> standstill, stupefy the press, lavish gorgeous tax breaks on the rich.
>
> There is a stink drifting through this election year. It isn't the
> Florida recount or the Supreme Court decision. No, it's 9/11 that we
> keep coming back to. It wasn't the "end of innocence", or a turning
> point in our history, or a cosmic occurrence, it was an event, a lapse
> of security. And patriotism shouldn't prevent people from asking hard
> questions of the man who was purportedly in charge of national
> security at the time.
>
> Whenever I think of those New Yorkers hurrying along Park Place or
> getting off the No.1 Broadway local, hustling toward their office on
> the 90th floor, the morning paper under their arms, I think of that
> non-reader George W. Bush and how he hopes to exploit those people
> with a little economic uptick, maybe the capture of Osama, cruise to
> victory in November and proceed to get some serious nation-changing
> done in his second term.
>
> This year, as in the past, Republicans will portray us Democrats as
> embittered academics, desiccated Unitarians, whacked-out hippies and
> communards, people who talk to telephone poles, the party of the
> Deadheads. They will wave enormous flags and wow over and over the
> footage of firemen in the wreckage of the World Trade Center and
> bodies being carried out and they will lie about their economic
> policies with astonishing enthusiasm.
>
> The Union is what needs defending this year. Government of Enron and
> by Halliburton and for the Southern Baptists is not the same as what
> Lincoln spoke of. This gang of Pithecanthropus Republicanii has
> humbugged us to death on terrorism and tax cuts for the comfy and
> school prayer and flag burning and claimed the right to know what
> books we read and to dump their sewage upstream from the town and
> clear-cut the forests and gut the IRS and mark up the constitution on
> behalf of intolerance and promote the corporate takeover of the public
> airwaves and to hell with anybody who opposes them.
>
> This is a great country, and it wasn't made so by angry people. We
> have a sacred duty to bequeath it to our grandchildren in better shape
> than however we found it. We have a long way to go and we're not
> getting any younger.
>
> Dante said that the hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who in
> time of crisis remain neutral, so I have spoken my piece, and thank
> you, dear reader. It's a beautiful world, rain or shine, and there is
> more to life than winning.
>
>
>
> \ufffd 2004 In These Times
>
>



Nod``
2004-10-02 11:30:27 EST
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:37:11 GMT, "marty mcmahone"
<*1@hot.rr.com> wrote:

>Wow. What a load of crap. Is that really Keillor writing?

That's too easy and lazy, sport. Could you be a little more specific
as to what is "a load of crap" about it? Or are you another of those
guys who thinks all he has to do is dismiss something out of hand
without ever backing it up with anything?

Seems to me that Keillor made a case here and you made a one liner of
no substance.

My dad campaigned heavily for Goldwater and Nixon. He served in WWII
and I'm proud of him. We both voted for Reagan and both Bushs, the
last with some misgivings. But, for the first time in my life that
may change. What Keillor says here makes a lot of common sense to me
and reflects many of the things my Dad said about the current GOP
right up until his death in June. He was very concerned and unhappy
with where the Party has gone. I know it's not the Republican Party I
grew up with and it's just tossed out the core stuff of fiscal
responsibility and less government. It's turned the Defense
Department to the Offense Department. It's just creepy what these
guys are up to.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes it's really Garrison Keillor
writing. I had already seen it in print somewhere else I can't
remember and its apparently from his latest book.

Nick O'Dell

>
>"T. Jefferson" <teejay@ilovemycountry.com> wrote in message
>news:6bFeQZQVVx7fizXFq=lkvRMA3yQ4@4ax.com...
>> August 27, 2004
>>
>> We're Not in Lake Wobegon Anymore
>>
>> By Garrison Keillor
>>
>>
>> Something has gone seriously haywire with the Republican Party. Once,
>> it was the party of pragmatic Main Street businessmen in steel-rimmed
>> spectacles who decried profligacy and waste, were devoted to their
>> communities and supported the sort of prosperity that raises all
>> ships. They were good-hearted people who vanquished the gnarlier
>> elements of their party, the paranoid Roosevelt-haters, the flat
>> Earthers and Prohibitionists, the antipapist antiforeigner element.
>> The genial Eisenhower was their man, a genuine American hero of D-Day,
>> who made it OK for reasonable people to vote Republican.
>>
>> He brought the Korean War to a stalemate, produced the Interstate
>> Highway System, declined to rescue the French colonial army in
>> Vietnam, and gave us a period of peace and prosperity, in which
>> (oddly) American arts and letters flourished and higher education
>> burgeoned---and there was a degree of plain decency in the country.
>> Fifties Republicans were giants compared to today's. Richard Nixon was
>> the last Republican leader to feel a Christian obligation toward the
>> poor.
>>
>> In the years between Nixon and Newt Gingrich, the party migrated
>> southward down the Twisting Trail of Rhetoric and sneered at the idea
>> of public service and became the Scourge of Liberalism, the Great
>> Crusade Against the Sixties, the Death Star of Government, a gang of
>> pirates that diverted and fascinated the media by their sheer
>> chutzpah, such as the misty-eyed flag-waving of Ronald Reagan who,
>> while George McGovern flew bombers in World War II, took a pass and
>> made training films in Long Beach.
>>
>> The Nixon moderate vanished like the passenger pigeon, purged by a
>> legion of angry white men who rose to power on pure punk politics.
>> "Bipartisanship is another term of date rape," says Grover Norquist,
>> the Sid Vicious of the GOP. "I don't want to abolish government. I
>> simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the
>> bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." The boy has Oedipal problems
>> and government is his daddy.
>>
>> The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified into the party of
>> hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based
>> economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of
>> convenience, freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking
>> midgets of AM radio, tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brownshirts
>> in pinstripes, sweatshop tycoons, hacks, fakirs, aggressive dorks,
>> Lamborghini libertarians, people who believe Neil Armstrong's moonwalk
>> was filmed in Roswell, New Mexico, little honkers out to diminish the
>> rest of us, Newt's evil spawn and their Etch-A-Sketch president, a
>> dull and rigid man suspicious of the free flow of information and of
>> secular institutions, whose philosophy is a jumble of badly sutured
>> body parts trying to walk. Republicans: The No.1 reason the rest of
>> the world thinks we're deaf, dumb and dangerous.
>>
>> Rich ironies abound! Lies pop up like toadstools in the forest! Wild
>> swine crowd round the public trough! Outrageous gerrymandering! Pocket
>> lining on a massive scale! Paid lobbyists sit in committee rooms and
>> write legislation to alleviate the suffering of billionaires!
>> Hypocrisies shine like cat turds in the moonlight! O Mark Twain, where
>> art thou at this hour? Arise and behold the Gilded Age reincarnated
>> gaudier than ever, upholding great wealth as the sure sign of Divine
>> Grace.
>>
>> Here in 2004, George W. Bush is running for reelection on a platform
>> of tragedy---the single greatest failure of national defense in our
>> history, the attacks of 9/11 in which 19 men with box cutters put this
>> nation into a tailspin, a failure the details of which the White House
>> fought to keep secret even as it ran the country into hock up to the
>> hubcaps, thanks to generous tax cuts for the well-fixed, hoping to
>> lead us into a box canyon of debt that will render government
>> impotent, even as we engage in a war against a small country that was
>> undertaken for the president's personal satisfaction but sold to the
>> American public on the basis of brazen misinformation, a war whose
>> purpose is to distract us from an enormous transfer of wealth taking
>> place in this country, flowing upward, and the deception is working
>> beautifully.
>>
>> The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the few is the
>> death knell of democracy. No republic in the history of humanity has
>> survived this. The election of 2004 will say something about what
>> happens to ours. The omens are not good.
>>
>> Our beloved land has been fogged with fear----fear, the greatest
>> political strategy ever. An ominous silence, distant sirens, a
>> drumbeat of whispered warnings and alarms to keep the public uneasy
>> and silence the opposition. And in a time of vague fear, you can
>> appoint bullet-brained judges, strip the bark off the Constitution,
>> eviscerate federal regulatory agencies, bring public education to a
>> standstill, stupefy the press, lavish gorgeous tax breaks on the rich.
>>
>> There is a stink drifting through this election year. It isn't the
>> Florida recount or the Supreme Court decision. No, it's 9/11 that we
>> keep coming back to. It wasn't the "end of innocence", or a turning
>> point in our history, or a cosmic occurrence, it was an event, a lapse
>> of security. And patriotism shouldn't prevent people from asking hard
>> questions of the man who was purportedly in charge of national
>> security at the time.
>>
>> Whenever I think of those New Yorkers hurrying along Park Place or
>> getting off the No.1 Broadway local, hustling toward their office on
>> the 90th floor, the morning paper under their arms, I think of that
>> non-reader George W. Bush and how he hopes to exploit those people
>> with a little economic uptick, maybe the capture of Osama, cruise to
>> victory in November and proceed to get some serious nation-changing
>> done in his second term.
>>
>> This year, as in the past, Republicans will portray us Democrats as
>> embittered academics, desiccated Unitarians, whacked-out hippies and
>> communards, people who talk to telephone poles, the party of the
>> Deadheads. They will wave enormous flags and wow over and over the
>> footage of firemen in the wreckage of the World Trade Center and
>> bodies being carried out and they will lie about their economic
>> policies with astonishing enthusiasm.
>>
>> The Union is what needs defending this year. Government of Enron and
>> by Halliburton and for the Southern Baptists is not the same as what
>> Lincoln spoke of. This gang of Pithecanthropus Republicanii has
>> humbugged us to death on terrorism and tax cuts for the comfy and
>> school prayer and flag burning and claimed the right to know what
>> books we read and to dump their sewage upstream from the town and
>> clear-cut the forests and gut the IRS and mark up the constitution on
>> behalf of intolerance and promote the corporate takeover of the public
>> airwaves and to hell with anybody who opposes them.
>>
>> This is a great country, and it wasn't made so by angry people. We
>> have a sacred duty to bequeath it to our grandchildren in better shape
>> than however we found it. We have a long way to go and we're not
>> getting any younger.
>>
>> Dante said that the hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who in
>> time of crisis remain neutral, so I have spoken my piece, and thank
>> you, dear reader. It's a beautiful world, rain or shine, and there is
>> more to life than winning.
>>
>>
>>
>> © 2004 In These Times
>>
>>
>


RJ
2004-10-02 16:38:13 EST
marty mcmahone <mmcmahome1@hot.rr.com> wrote:

> Wow. What a load of crap. Is that really Keillor writing?

Probably so. He has turned into or come out of the closet as a rabid
leftwingnut.

Angel Muncy
2004-10-02 20:16:21 EST
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:38:13 -0400, re_johnson@hotmail.com (RJ) wrote:

>marty mcmahone <mmcmahome1@hot.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Wow. What a load of crap. Is that really Keillor writing?
>
>Probably so. He has turned into or come out of the closet as a rabid
>leftwingnut.

Yes, this is a sign of the times. A fellow who has spent his life
celebrating the joys of small town American life, church suppers,
bingo games, and tuna casserole is now considered a "rabid
leftwingnut" because he also happens to be a lifelong Democrat who
dares criticize the current administration or point out what he feels
are negative changes in the Republican Party. A guy who expresses
great admiration for past Republicans like Eisenhower and even finds
good characteristics in Richard Nixon. Apparently there is no room
left in the minds of some like Mr. McMahome and Mr. Johnson for all
due respect and honest, civil disagreement on political matters
without smearing someone as a "rabid leftwingnut."

Willie Nelson, another of our living national treasures, sang at the
Democratic Convention and has lent them his support along with writing
a song critical of George Bush. Just as Johnny Cash helped give voice
to anti-war protest singers like Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, and Bob Dylan
while singing such songs himself, and he supported countless social
causes. Losing Johnny was such a great loss, as he was giving us some
of his finest music in those last days. But, I suppose in the minds
of these Mr. McMahome and Mr. Johnson, Willie Nelson is a "rabid
leftwingnut" along with the likes of Johnny Cash.

Interesting that such reaction only serves to prove how correct
Garrison Keillor's observations are about today's Republicans and
their festering intolerance.

Well, I take the compassion and character of strong men like Garrison,
Willie, and Johnny any day over such hatefulness.

I ask all to stick to your guns and stand up to the bullies.

Angel

RJ
2004-10-02 20:30:21 EST
Angel Muncy <amuncy775@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:38:13 -0400, re_johnson@hotmail.com (RJ) wrote:
>
> >marty mcmahone <mmcmahome1@hot.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Wow. What a load of crap. Is that really Keillor writing?
> >
> >Probably so. He has turned into or come out of the closet as a rabid
> >leftwingnut.
>
> Yes, this is a sign of the times. A fellow who has spent his life
> celebrating the joys of small town American life, church suppers,
> bingo games, and tuna casserole is now considered a "rabid
> leftwingnut" because he also happens to be a lifelong Democrat who
> dares criticize the current administration or point out what he feels
> are negative changes in the Republican Party.

Mr. Keillor regularly engages in what would be called hate speech in his
ostensibly humorous program.

He is so full of rage that it boils over into what used to be an
interesting radio show.

Angel Muncy
2004-10-02 20:42:47 EST
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:30:21 -0400, re_johnson@hotmail.com (RJ) wrote:

>Angel Muncy <amuncy775@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:38:13 -0400, re_johnson@hotmail.com (RJ) wrote:
>>
>> >marty mcmahone <mmcmahome1@hot.rr.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >> Wow. What a load of crap. Is that really Keillor writing?
>> >
>> >Probably so. He has turned into or come out of the closet as a rabid
>> >leftwingnut.
>>
>> Yes, this is a sign of the times. A fellow who has spent his life
>> celebrating the joys of small town American life, church suppers,
>> bingo games, and tuna casserole is now considered a "rabid
>> leftwingnut" because he also happens to be a lifelong Democrat who
>> dares criticize the current administration or point out what he feels
>> are negative changes in the Republican Party.
>
>Mr. Keillor regularly engages in what would be called hate speech in his
>ostensibly humorous program.
>
>He is so full of rage that it boils over into what used to be an
>interesting radio show.

Now you are just openly lying. Anybody who listens to his show knows
that any political references Garrison Keillor makes on A Prairie Home
Companion are fleeting and treated with gentle mirth. Nothing on that
show is ever hateful and nothing he's ever said on the show comes
anywhere near "hate speech". Anyone who listens to the show knows
that the idea of Garrison Keillor "boiling over with rage" is
ludicrous, impossible to imagine, and proof that you are shamelessly
meanspirited.

It's sad that you have to openly lie in order to try to smear good,
decent people just because they disagree with you politically. I
guess in your world any joke about or disagreement with a Republican
or a Republican president amounts to "hate speech".

Shame on you. You are a sad little man.

Angel

RJ
2004-10-02 21:13:37 EST
Angel Muncy <amuncy775@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:30:21 -0400, re_johnson@hotmail.com (RJ) wrote:
>
> >Angel Muncy <amuncy775@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:38:13 -0400, re_johnson@hotmail.com (RJ) wrote:
> >>
> >> >marty mcmahone <mmcmahome1@hot.rr.com> wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Wow. What a load of crap. Is that really Keillor writing?
> >> >
> >> >Probably so. He has turned into or come out of the closet as a rabid
> >> >leftwingnut.
> >>
> >> Yes, this is a sign of the times. A fellow who has spent his life
> >> celebrating the joys of small town American life, church suppers,
> >> bingo games, and tuna casserole is now considered a "rabid
> >> leftwingnut" because he also happens to be a lifelong Democrat who
> >> dares criticize the current administration or point out what he feels
> >> are negative changes in the Republican Party.
> >
> >Mr. Keillor regularly engages in what would be called hate speech in his
> >ostensibly humorous program.
> >
> >He is so full of rage that it boils over into what used to be an
> >interesting radio show.
>
> Now you are just openly lying. Anybody who listens to his show knows
> that any political references Garrison Keillor makes on A Prairie Home
> Companion are fleeting and treated with gentle mirth.

You are in serious denial. Get help.

\MIDIcian\ \tm\
2004-10-02 23:13:11 EST
The "Know-nothing" movement.


Stan Rosenthal,

'Stan and the Sequencers'
www.thesequencers.us
GO ASTROS!!!!



Mark Reichert
2004-10-04 00:26:48 EST
Angel Muncy <amuncy775@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<xEhfQRFgNHyxMVjPWcZIQgxBUcxl@4ax.com>...
> Now you are just openly lying.

He's just following the example of this Bush administration. Other
administrations may have stretched the truth, been selective in facts
used to support arguments, or interpreted the implication of facts
differently, but they haven't out and out lied continously or used a
massive propaganda machine involving most of the TV news media to
mislead the public. The closest would be the Nixon administration,
and they at least had the decency to not let effect policy decision
making much. Dubya is the only one to not even have a policy making
apparatus, but make all decisions based *solely* on politics, to the
point of completely disregarding any fact that runs counter to their
aims. Their supporters act the same way by simply putting their hands
over their ears and screaming any time anyone trys to tell them a real
fact.

Heck, in the Price of Loyalty it is revealed that Cheney even conned
Bush, by stage managing a Cabinet meeting to convince Bush that there
was an energy crisis like none other that could only be solved by
massive subsidies to Cheney's pals in the energy companies. The
reason gas isn't $3.00 a gallon or more is that we the workers (but
not the idle rich) are paying income taxes on subsidies and debt
payments. If we knew how much we were actually paying, we'd be
screaming for more efficient cars and better mass transit, hence the
reason for secrecy.
Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron