Bible Discussion: Hard Saying: Mar 12:35-40 Jesus Corrects Scribes, Son Of David,

Hard Saying: Mar 12:35-40 Jesus Corrects Scribes, Son Of David,

Caiaphas
2003-08-10 07:59:02 EST
Mark 12:35-40 reads to me that Jesus is questioning the belief that Christ is
the son of David.

Jesus also chastises the scribes and I perceive that it is because of their
'literal' interpretation of Scripture and their adherence to traditions. You
almost could say that Christ was questioning some OT Scripture -- is that going
too far?

How do you understand these passages?

Mar 12:35 While Jesus was teaching in the temple, he said, "How can the scribes
say that the Christ is David's son?

Mar 12:36 David himself said by the Holy Spirit, 'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit
at my right hand, until I put your enemies under your feet."'

Mar 12:37 David himself calls him 'Lord.' Then how can he be his son?" And the
large crowd kept listening to him with delight.

Mar 12:38 As he taught, he said, "Beware of the scribes! They like to walk
around in long robes, to be greeted in the marketplaces,

Mar 12:39 and to have the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor
at banquets.

Mar 12:40 They devour widows' houses and say long prayers to cover it up. They
will receive greater condemnation!"

Caiaphas
2003-08-10 09:34:48 EST

"Chris Devol" <xyz@defghijk.lmn> wrote in message
> "Caiaphas" <Caiaphas66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Mark 12:35-40 reads to me that Jesus is questioning the belief that Christ
is
> > the son of David.
> >
> > Jesus also chastises the scribes and I perceive that it is because of their
> > 'literal' interpretation of Scripture and their adherence to traditions.
You
> > almost could say that Christ was questioning some OT Scripture -- is that
> going
> > too far?
> >
> > How do you understand these passages?
> >
> > Mar 12:35 While Jesus was teaching in the temple, he said, "How can the
> scribes
> > say that the Christ is David's son?
>
> The Christ, that is, the Savior, the Messiah, is God himself, as the Bible
> states:
>
> Isa.43.10-11 Ye [are] my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have
> chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I [am] he: before
> me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, [even] I, [am]
> the LORD; and beside me [there is] no saviour.
>
> Php.3.20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the
> Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
>
> God is no one's biological "son". However, the Lord Jesus Christ is both God
and
> man. As man, he is David's biological descendent, as Luke 3:23-38 indicates.
As
> God, he is no one's biological descendent.

I agree. A lot of times Christians and Jews get hung up on the genealogy
lineage of Joseph and Mary and that genealogy is not pertinent to the issue.
So, it could be argued that Christ was not a Jew, being instead God incarnated
as a human, but instead lived as a Jew. Shows that God meant that his New
Covenant was not favoritism towards one race but for all mankind.

> The Scribes (and many other Jews) were looking for a purely human Messiah, a
man
> who would assume the earthly throne of David and defeat the political and
> religious enemies of the Jews. They interpreted the "kingship" of the Messiah
> only as a standard earthly succession. (They were, in effect, racists). But
> Messiah had to be both God and the legitimate descendent of David. Jesus met
> both those requirements.

This supports my theory that Jews can look for their human messiah/leader and
accept the New Covenant Teachings of Christ - that the lineage genealogy of
Jesus to David is not pertinent.

> Joh.6.15 When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by
> force, to make him a king, he departed again into a mountain himself alone.
>
> Jer.33.17ff For thus saith the LORD; David shall never want a man to sit upon
> the throne of the house of Israel;................
>
> Hos.3.5 Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their
> God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the
> latter days.
>
> > Mar 12:36 David himself said by the Holy Spirit, 'The Lord said to my Lord,
> "Sit
> > at my right hand, until I put your enemies under your feet."'
>
> God the Father sends God the Son to die for the sins of his people, after
which
> God the Father exalts God the Son.
>
> > Mar 12:37 David himself calls him 'Lord.' Then how can he be his son?" And
the
> > large crowd kept listening to him with delight.
>
> David knew that the Messiah is God, but the Scribes, in their
> worldly-mindedness, could not understand who Jesus was. Jesus is correcting
> their error.

Where is the OT Scripture that Jews use to insist that Christ's lineage be to
David?

Chris Devol
2003-08-10 10:11:02 EST

> [...]
> > God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the
> > latter days.
> >
> > > Mar 12:36 David himself said by the Holy Spirit, 'The Lord said to my
Lord,
> > "Sit
> > > at my right hand, until I put your enemies under your feet."'
> >
> > God the Father sends God the Son to die for the sins of his people, after
> which
> > God the Father exalts God the Son.
> >
> > > Mar 12:37 David himself calls him 'Lord.' Then how can he be his son?" And
> the
> > > large crowd kept listening to him with delight.
> >
> > David knew that the Messiah is God, but the Scribes, in their
> > worldly-mindedness, could not understand who Jesus was. Jesus is correcting
> > their error.
>
> Where is the OT Scripture that Jews use to insist that Christ's lineage be to

Jer.33.17 For thus saith the LORD; David shall never want a man to sit upon the
throne of the house of Israel;

David's throne was supposed to be permanent. Yet his throne had been officially
unoccupied for hundreds of years until the time of Christ. However, David's
genetic line had not died out. So they were looking for a descendent of David to
appear and re-take the throne, thus confirming the prophecy. That is, of course,
exactly what happened, but not in the way they thought it should happen.

Hos.3.5 Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their
God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the
latter days.

Eze.34.23 And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them,
[even] my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.

Eze.37.24-25 And David my servant [shall be] king over them; and they all shall
have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my
statutes, and do them. And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto
Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein,
[even] they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and my
servant David [shall be] their prince for ever.

David was dead, so these verses were thought to refer to a future descendent of
David who would reign in a restored kingdom of Israel.

Of course, "David" (= The Lord Jesus) did come, and did become the "one
shepherd", and did save his people, and is ruling over the real Israel (the
Israel of God) right now and forever. The Scribes were blinded to it then, and
their heirs are still blind. (That's part of the reason why so many people -
even many Christians - think that Jesus is going to come and set up a political
kingdom, the so-called "thousand year reign". But that's another issue).

Caiaphas
2003-08-10 11:37:16 EST

> [...]
> > > worldly-mindedness, could not understand who Jesus was. Jesus is
correcting
> > > their error.
> >
> > Where is the OT Scripture that Jews use to insist that Christ's lineage be
> > David?
>
> Jer.33.17 For thus saith the LORD; David shall never want a man to sit upon
the
> throne of the house of Israel;
>
> David's throne was supposed to be permanent. Yet his throne had been
officially
> unoccupied for hundreds of years until the time of Christ. However, David's
> genetic line had not died out. So they were looking for a descendent of David
> appear and re-take the throne, thus confirming the prophecy. That is, of
course,
> exactly what happened, but not in the way they thought it should happen.

I wonder if OT scripture about the "Messiah" having to be a decendant of David
is errant with what Jesus was saying that to the scribes?

> Hos.3.5 Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their
> God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the
> latter days.
>
> Eze.34.23 And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them,
> [even] my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.
>
> Eze.37.24-25 And David my servant [shall be] king over them; and they all
shall
> have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my
> statutes, and do them. And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto
> Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell
therein,
> [even] they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and
my
> servant David [shall be] their prince for ever.
>
> David was dead, so these verses were thought to refer to a future descendent
of
> David who would reign in a restored kingdom of Israel.
>
> Of course, "David" (= The Lord Jesus) did come, and did become the "one
> shepherd", and did save his people, and is ruling over the real Israel (the
> Israel of God) right now and forever.

So, what is the modern-day state of Israel?

> The Scribes were blinded to it then, and
> their heirs are still blind. (That's part of the reason why so many people -
> even many Christians - think that Jesus is going to come and set up a
political
> kingdom, the so-called "thousand year reign". But that's another issue).

Have you heard of the Preterist Doctrine? Preterist believe that most if not
all of Revelations was fulfilled in 70 AD and the short time thereafter, and
that Revelations is history.

Stalin
2003-08-10 14:38:24 EST
Chris Devol wrote:

> [...]
ever: and my
> servant David [shall be] their prince for ever.
>
> David was dead, so these verses were thought to refer to a future
descendent of
> David who would reign in a restored kingdom of Israel.
>
> Of course, "David" (= The Lord Jesus) did come, and did become the "one
> shepherd", and did save his people, and is ruling over the real Israel
(the
> Israel of God) right now and forever. The Scribes were blinded to it
then, and
> their heirs are still blind. (That's part of the reason why so many
people -
> even many Christians - think that Jesus is going to come and set up a
political
> kingdom, the so-called "thousand year reign". But that's another issue).

adolph hitler wanted a 1000 year reich. is this the same thing?

ann coulter has nice tits.

James
2003-08-23 14:46:39 EST
>On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 07:59:02 -0400, "Caiaphas" <Caiaphas66@hotmail.com> >wrote:

>Mark 12:35-40 reads to me that Jesus is questioning the belief that Christ is
>the son of David.

Hello,

Jesus never doubted that the Christ would be from the line of David.
For example, notice what Jesus said in response to some children
calling Jesus "the Son of David". Mt 21:15,16,

" 15. But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the
wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple area,
"Hosanna to the Son of David," they were indignant.
16. "Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him.
"Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read, "`From the lips of
children and infants you have ordained praise' ?"" (NIV)

Thus Jesus never corrected them for any supposed error, but rather
commended them for what they said.

>Jesus also chastises the scribes and I perceive that it is because of their
>'literal' interpretation of Scripture and their adherence to traditions.

Their man-made traditions is what got them into hot water. Mt 15:3,

"Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake
of your tradition?"" (NIV)

Thus they were putting their made-up traditions AHEAD OF GOD'S WRITTEN
WORD! No wonder Jesus chastised them.

>You
>almost could say that Christ was questioning some OT Scripture -- is that going
>too far?

Jesus never had any doubts about God's word. Rather Jesus taught
everyone that God's words were the TRUTH. Joh 17:17,

"Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth." (NIV)

>How do you understand these passages?
>

>Mar 12:35 While Jesus was teaching in the temple, he said, "How can the scribes
>say that the Christ is David's son?
>
>Mar 12:36 David himself said by the Holy Spirit, 'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit
>at my right hand, until I put your enemies under your feet."'
>
>Mar 12:37 David himself calls him 'Lord.' Then how can he be his son?" And the
>large crowd kept listening to him with delight.
>
>Mar 12:38 As he taught, he said, "Beware of the scribes! They like to walk
>around in long robes, to be greeted in the marketplaces,
>
>Mar 12:39 and to have the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor
>at banquets.
>
>Mar 12:40 They devour widows' houses and say long prayers to cover it up. They
>will receive greater condemnation!"

Jesus was never questioning that the Messiah would come through the
line of David, rather Jesus was showing the Scriptural ignorance of
the Pharisees, who claimed to know the Scriptures. Notice more details
from this comment:

"Jesus was prophesied to become higher than any kings ever on earth,
yes, higher than King David himself. In this way he, although David's
son, would become David's Lord. He could become David's Lord only by
becoming a heavenly King, seated at God's right hand in the heavens.
He would become a priest for David, and since David was only a king
but no priest, Jesus would again become more than David; he would
become a King-Priest like ancient Melchizedek, king of Salem.

29 By calling attention to these facts Jesus silenced his enemies. He
quoted to them from Psalm 110, in which King David prophetically
called Jesus Christ his Lord, by saying: "The utterance of Jehovah to
my Lord is: 'Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a
stool for your feet.' The rod of your strength Jehovah will send out
of Zion: 'Go subduing in the midst of your enemies.' Jehovah has sworn
(and he will not feel sorry): 'You are a priest to time indefinite
according to the manner of Melchizedek!' Jehovah himself at your right
hand will certainly break kings to pieces on the day of his anger."
(Ps. 110:1, 2, 4, 5; Matt. 22:41-45)" (1957 Watchtower, 10/15, p.
633.)

I hope this has helped you somewhat.

Sincerely, James