Bible Discussion: Re: The Golden Rule In Other Religions

Re: The Golden Rule In Other Religions

Pastor Frank
2004-08-27 11:37:43 EST
As we can see below, the Golden Rule can be found in nearly every
religion on this planet. It is the most pervasive rule of correct conduct
extant and can therefore be considered substantiated and universally valid.
However at the same time, the golden Rule is also the most ignored, as
there is no abatement of man's inhumanity to man, the number of refugees
increasing daily, people being tortured, and innocents filling an ever
increasing number of mass-graves.

Pastor Frank

THE GOLDEN RULE OF CHRIST
Jesus in Mk 12:30: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength:
this is the first commandment.
31: And the second is alike, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as
thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

> The GOLDEN RULE in other religions:
>
> Baha'i: "Ascribe not to any soul that which thou wouldst not have ascribed
> to thee, and say not that which thou doest not."
>
> Brahmanism: "This is the sum of duty: do naught unto others which would
> cause you pain if done to you."
>
> Buddhism: "A state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I
> inflict that upon another."
>
> Confucianism: "Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to
> you."
>
> Druidism: "Do what must be done...for all."
>
> Hinduism: "One should not behave towards others in a way which is
> disagreeable to oneself."
>
> Islam: "Not one of you is a believer until he loves for his brother what
> he loves of himself."
>
> Jainism: "Therefore, neither does he (a sage) cause violence to others nor
> does he make others do so."
>
> Judaism: "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
>
> Native American Spirituality: "respect for all life is the foundation."
>
> Norse: "A lame man can ride; a handless herd cattle, a deaf man may be a
> fine warrior. Better blind then burn on the pyre; no one needs a corpse."
>
> Roman Pagan: "The law imprinted on the hearts of all men is to love the
> members of society as themselves."
>
> Shinto: "The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your
> own form."
>
> Sikhism: "Compassion-mercy and religion are support of the entire world."
>
> Taoism: "Regard your neighbour's gain as your own gain, and your own
> neighbour's loss for your own loss."
>
> Wicca and Witches: "Do as ye will e'er it harm none."
>
> Yoruba (Nigeria): "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird
> should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."
>
> Zoroastrianism: "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto
> another whatsoever is not good for itself."

Rico
2004-08-27 22:40:44 EST
> Druidism: "Do what must be done...for all."

How does this equate to Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
(which is the Golden rule, Mark 12:30-31 is not the Golden rule, it is the
summary of the ten commandments of Exodus 20.) Of all the different
cultural Golden Rules listed this (the druidic golden rule) is the only one
that could be interpreted to say that violence against your neighbour is ok.

"Pastor Frank" <PF@Christfirst.com> wrote in message
> As we can see below, the Golden Rule can be found in nearly every
> religion on this planet. It is the most pervasive rule of correct conduct
> extant and can therefore be considered substantiated and universally
valid.
> However at the same time, the golden Rule is also the most ignored, as
> there is no abatement of man's inhumanity to man, the number of refugees
> increasing daily, people being tortured, and innocents filling an ever
> increasing number of mass-graves.
>
> Pastor Frank
>
> THE GOLDEN RULE OF CHRIST
> Jesus in Mk 12:30: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy
heart,
> and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength:
> this is the first commandment.
> 31: And the second is alike, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as
> thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
> >
> > The GOLDEN RULE in other religions:
> >
> > Baha'i: "Ascribe not to any soul that which thou wouldst not have
ascribed
> > to thee, and say not that which thou doest not."
> >
> > Brahmanism: "This is the sum of duty: do naught unto others which would
> > cause you pain if done to you."
> >
> > Buddhism: "A state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I
> > inflict that upon another."
> >
> > Confucianism: "Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to
> > you."
> >
> > Druidism: "Do what must be done...for all."
> >
> > Hinduism: "One should not behave towards others in a way which is
> > disagreeable to oneself."
> >
> > Islam: "Not one of you is a believer until he loves for his brother what
> > he loves of himself."
> >
> > Jainism: "Therefore, neither does he (a sage) cause violence to others
nor
> > does he make others do so."
> >
> > Judaism: "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
> >
> > Native American Spirituality: "respect for all life is the foundation."
> >
> > Norse: "A lame man can ride; a handless herd cattle, a deaf man may be a
> > fine warrior. Better blind then burn on the pyre; no one needs a
corpse."

> > Roman Pagan: "The law imprinted on the hearts of all men is to love the
> > members of society as themselves."
> >
> > Shinto: "The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your
> > own form."
> >
> > Sikhism: "Compassion-mercy and religion are support of the entire
world."

> > Taoism: "Regard your neighbour's gain as your own gain, and your own
> > neighbour's loss for your own loss."
> >
> > Wicca and Witches: "Do as ye will e'er it harm none."
> >
> > Yoruba (Nigeria): "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby
bird
> > should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."
> >
> > Zoroastrianism: "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing
unto
> > another whatsoever is not good for itself."

Bob Young
2004-08-28 02:03:46 EST

Pastor Frank wrote:

> As we can see below, the Golden Rule can be found in nearly every
> religion on this planet. It is the most pervasive rule of correct conduct
> extant and can therefore be considered substantiated and universally valid.

Darn'ed right, these rules are what all decent humans crave for and in
primitive times religion was hijacked for just that purpose.

We have 'Courts of Law' now.

some marche on but others lag behind in supertition.

Bob
Hong Kong

To become a popular religion, it is only necessary for a superstition to
enslave a philosophy
[William Inge 1840-1954

> However at the same time, the golden Rule is also the most ignored, as
> there is no abatement of man's inhumanity to man, the number of refugees
> increasing daily, people being tortured, and innocents filling an ever
> increasing number of mass-graves.
>
> Pastor Frank
>
> THE GOLDEN RULE OF CHRIST
> Jesus in Mk 12:30: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
> and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength:
> this is the first commandment.
> 31: And the second is alike, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as
> thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
> >
> > The GOLDEN RULE in other religions:
> >
> > Baha'i: "Ascribe not to any soul that which thou wouldst not have ascribed
> > to thee, and say not that which thou doest not."
> >
> > Brahmanism: "This is the sum of duty: do naught unto others which would
> > cause you pain if done to you."
> >
> > Buddhism: "A state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I
> > inflict that upon another."
> >
> > Confucianism: "Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to
> > you."
> >
> > Druidism: "Do what must be done...for all."
> >
> > Hinduism: "One should not behave towards others in a way which is
> > disagreeable to oneself."
> >
> > Islam: "Not one of you is a believer until he loves for his brother what
> > he loves of himself."
> >
> > Jainism: "Therefore, neither does he (a sage) cause violence to others nor
> > does he make others do so."
> >
> > Judaism: "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
> >
> > Native American Spirituality: "respect for all life is the foundation."
> >
> > Norse: "A lame man can ride; a handless herd cattle, a deaf man may be a
> > fine warrior. Better blind then burn on the pyre; no one needs a corpse."
> >
> > Roman Pagan: "The law imprinted on the hearts of all men is to love the
> > members of society as themselves."
> >
> > Shinto: "The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your
> > own form."
> >
> > Sikhism: "Compassion-mercy and religion are support of the entire world."
> >
> > Taoism: "Regard your neighbour's gain as your own gain, and your own
> > neighbour's loss for your own loss."
> >
> > Wicca and Witches: "Do as ye will e'er it harm none."
> >
> > Yoruba (Nigeria): "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird
> > should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."
> >
> > Zoroastrianism: "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto
> > another whatsoever is not good for itself."

Pastor Frank
2004-08-28 07:40:07 EST
"Rico" <hoganrj@bigpond.net.au.au> wrote in message

> > Druidism: "Do what must be done...for all."
>
> How does this equate to Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
> Of all the different
> cultural Golden Rules listed this (the druidic golden rule) is the only
one
> that could be interpreted to say that violence against your neighbour is
ok.

Please don't top-post. Yes. But that would only be true if your
neighbour is not considered part of "all". I read it to mean: Do what is
good for everybody.

> (which is the Golden rule, Mark 12:30-31 is not the Golden rule, it is the
> summary of the ten commandments of Exodus 20.)

I don't quite follow you. Please expand on this.
--
Pastor Frank
---------------------------------

> [...]
> > >
> > > Roman Pagan: "The law imprinted on the hearts of all men is to love
the
> > > members of society as themselves."
> > >
> > > Shinto: "The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there
your
> > > own form."
> > >
> > > Sikhism: "Compassion-mercy and religion are support of the entire
> world."
> > >
> > > Taoism: "Regard your neighbour's gain as your own gain, and your own
> > > neighbour's loss for your own loss."
> > >
> > > Wicca and Witches: "Do as ye will e'er it harm none."
> > >
> > > Yoruba (Nigeria): "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby
> bird
> > > should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."
> > >
> > > Zoroastrianism: "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing
> unto
> > > another whatsoever is not good for itself."

2004-08-28 07:48:05 EST
"bob young" <alaspectrum@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> Pastor Frank wrote:
> >
> > As we can see below, the Golden Rule can be found in nearly every
> > religion on this planet. It is the most pervasive rule of correct
conduct
> > extant and can therefore be considered substantiated and universally
valid.

> Darn'ed right, these rules are what all decent humans crave for and in
> primitive times religion was hijacked for just that purpose.
> We have 'Courts of Law' now.

Courts of law do not pronounce you to be a good and decent person. Also
courts of law will convict you when you refuse to do unto others, whatever
the government tells you to do unto others.
You are also still preaching atheism in our Christian NGs. Please post
atheism to atheist NGs.

Pastor Frank

SATAN'S MINIONS
Jesus in John 8:44: Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of
your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode
not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie,
he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
Mt:6:21: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Mt:12:34: O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good
things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
Mt:12:35: A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth
forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth
evil things.
2Pt:3:3: Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days
scoffers, walking after their own lusts.

Echo2Drs
2004-08-29 02:13:59 EST
>THE GOLDEN RULE OF CHRIST
>Jesus in Mk 12:30: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
>and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength:
>this is the first commandment.
>31: And the second is alike, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as
>thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
>>
>> The GOLDEN RULE in other religions:
>>
>> Baha'i: "Ascribe not to any soul that which thou wouldst not have ascribed
>> to thee, and say not that which thou doest not."
>>
>> Brahmanism: "This is the sum of duty: do naught unto others which would
>> cause you pain if done to you."
>>
>> Buddhism: "A state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I
>> inflict that upon another."
>>
>> Confucianism: "Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to
>> you."
>>
>> Druidism: "Do what must be done...for all."
>>
>> Hinduism: "One should not behave towards others in a way which is
>> disagreeable to oneself."
>>
>> Islam: "Not one of you is a believer until he loves for his brother what
>> he loves of himself."
>>
>> Jainism: "Therefore, neither does he (a sage) cause violence to others nor
>> does he make others do so."
>>
>> Judaism: "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
>>
>> Native American Spirituality: "respect for all life is the foundation."
>>
>> Norse: "A lame man can ride; a handless herd cattle, a deaf man may be a
>> fine warrior. Better blind then burn on the pyre; no one needs a corpse."
>>
>> Roman Pagan: "The law imprinted on the hearts of all men is to love the
>> members of society as themselves."
>>
>> Shinto: "The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your
>> own form."
>>
>> Sikhism: "Compassion-mercy and religion are support of the entire world."
>>
>> Taoism: "Regard your neighbour's gain as your own gain, and your own
>> neighbour's loss for your own loss."
>>
>> Wicca and Witches: "Do as ye will e'er it harm none."
>>
>> Yoruba (Nigeria): "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird
>> should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."
>>
>> Zoroastrianism: "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto
>> another whatsoever is not good for itself."

Correct!!! :-)

Bob Young
2004-08-29 05:56:11 EST

Pastor Frank wrote:

> "bob young" <alaspectrum@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> > Pastor Frank wrote:
> > >
> > > As we can see below, the Golden Rule can be found in nearly every
> > > religion on this planet. It is the most pervasive rule of correct
> conduct
> > > extant and can therefore be considered substantiated and universally
> valid.
> >
> > Darn'ed right, these rules are what all decent humans crave for and in
> > primitive times religion was hijacked for just that purpose.
> > We have 'Courts of Law' now.
> >
> Courts of law do not pronounce you to be a good and decent person.

Aaaaaaah.....the 'holier than thou' bit. Make yer feel good Frank?

Your usual distorted answer avoiding the real point...ah well

> Also
> courts of law will convict you when you refuse to do unto others, whatever
> the government tells you to do unto others.

Bullshit

> You are also still preaching atheism in our Christian NGs. Please post
> atheism to atheist NGs.

It is not possible to preach atheism, it is not a religion; and when preachers
stop posting lies to atheist NG's I'll stop teaching you misguided folks the
error of your ways in the hope that some fanatical theist will perhaps resist
pushing the 'eliminate' button on a warhead somehere in the name of his
imaginary god.

Hey Frankie - you forgot the 'pristine' bit!!!