Bible Discussion: Alt.bible, Alt.christnet.bible, Alt.religion.christian, Alt.religion.christian.baptist

Alt.bible, Alt.christnet.bible, Alt.religion.christian, Alt.religion.christian.baptist

Clifton Hodges
2004-07-17 09:25:56 EST
"Pastor Dave" <nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote in
message
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 18:48:28 GMT, "Clifton"
> <cliftonhodges@nospamverizon.net> posted thusly:
>

> >"Pastor Dave" <nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote in
me
> >> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 04:44:57 GMT, "Clifton"
> >> <cliftonhodges@nospamverizon.net> posted thusly:

and

> >> It should be Easter.
> >>

> >The Greek Theologians and Translators do not agree with
your
> >assessment, including those born in Greece;
>
> So you claim, but I don't care, because I don't rely on
> man's wisdom, but rather, the Scriptures.

Since you insist on seeing more....

1110 (Easton - Easton's Revised Bible Dictionary)
Easter

Originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of the
Saxons, in honour of whom sacrifices were offered about the
time of the Passover. Hence the name came to be given to the
festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at the
time of the Passover. In the early English versions this
word was frequently used as the translation of the Greek
pascha (the Passover). When the Authorized Version (1611)
was formed, the word "passover" was used in all passages in
which this word pascha occurred, except in Ac 12:4 In the
Revised Version the proper word, "passover," is always used.

-------

-------

841 (Fausset - Fausset's Bible Dictionary)
EASTER

The KJV of pascha (to be translated instead as "the
Passover") in Ac 12:4. "Easter" is a Christian feast; the
Passover is a Jewish feast.
-------

-------

1507 (Naves - Nave's Topical Bible)
EASTER (A.V.)

( Should be translated "Passover," as in R. V. and most
other translations)

-------

-------

Acts 12:4 (JFB - Jamieson, Fausset, Brown Commentary)
4. delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers-that is, to
four parties of four each, corresponding to the four Roman
watches; two watching in prison and two at the gates, and
each party being on duty for the space of one watch.
INTENDING after Easter-rather, "AFTER the Passover"; that
is, after the whole festival was over. (The word in our King
James Version is an ecclesiastical term of later date, and
ought not to have been employed here). to bring him forth to
the people-for execution; for during "the days of unleavened
bread," or the currency of any religious festival, the Jews
had a prejudice against trying or putting anyone to death.

-------

-------

Here's one might like. but oh, there is that nagging Greek
Grammar Sytax, isn't it? Oh well, you know the old saying,
can't have everything! *CHUCKLE*
Acts 12:4 (POOLE - Matthew's NT Poole's Commentary)
Ver. 4. Four quaternions of soldiers: there were sixteen
soldiers appointed to keep Peter; the Romans using four
soldiers at a time to keep sentry, and the Jews dividing
their nights into four watches, there were enough to relieve
the other, and to set a new watch as often as was required
for every night; of which four at a time, two were with the
prisoner, and perhaps, for the greater security, bound with
the same chain, and two did always stand at the door or
gate; and this they might the rather do, out of great
caution, having heard what miracles Peter did, and that he
had been delivered by an angel out of prison, Ac 5:19.
After Easter; that day in which the paschal lamb was ate,
on which the Jews would put none to death, that they might
not eclipse the joy of that day.
Bring him forth to the people; to do with him what they
would, leaving him to their mercy, or rather cruelty.

-------

-------

Acts 12:4 (RWP - Robertson's NT Word Pictures)

When he had taken him (piasav). See on 3:7 for same form.
He put him in prison (eyeto eiv fulakhn). Second aorist
middle indicative of tiyhmi, common verb. This is the third
imprisonment of Peter (4:3; 5:18).
To four quaternions of soldiers (tessarsin tetradioiv
stratiwtwn). Four soldiers in each quaternion (tetradion
from tetrav, four), two on the inside with the prisoner
(chained to him) and two on the outside, in shifts of six
hours each, sixteen soldiers in all, the usual Roman custom.
Probably Agrippa had heard of Peter's previous escape (5:19)
and so took no CHANCES for connivance of the jailors.
After the passover (meta to pasca). The passover feast of
eight days. "The stricter Jews regarded it as a profanation
to put a person to death during a religious festival"
(Hackett). So Agrippa is more scrupulous than the Sanhedrin
was about Jesus.
To bring him forth (anagagein auton). Second aorist active
infinitive of anagw, to lead up, old verb, used literally
here. Peter was in the inner prison or lower ward and so
would be led up to the judgment seat where Herod Agrippa
would sit (cf. Joh 19:13).
To the people (tw law). Ethical dative, in the presence of
and for the pleasure of the Jewish people.

-------

-------

Acts 12:4 (TFG - The Four Fold Gospel)

(4) And having apprehended him, he put him in prison,
delivering him to four quaternions of soldiers to guard him,
INTENDING, after the Passover, to bring him out to the
people.
A public execution during the feast of unleavened bread
would have been exceedingly incongruous with the religious
solemnities of the occasion: hence this delay.
The four quaternions of soldiers who guarded Peter
consisted of sixteen men, each quaternion consisting of
four. It was enough to keep four men on guard during each of
the four watches of the night. They, together with the
strength of the prison doors, were deemed sufficient for the
utmost security.

(OCA 152-153)

-------

-------

-------

Looks the WHOLE World and the scriptures are against your
support of Pascha being INCORRECTLY translated as "Easter",
doesn't it? Worry not, Jesus Loves You! ;-) -CRH

Pastor Dave
2004-07-17 10:24:33 EST
While skydiving off of the Empire State Building on
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:25:56 GMT, "Clifton Hodges"
<clifton-ray-hodges@spamoutverizon.net> screamed out:

>and

>> >The Greek Theologians and Translators do not agree with
>your
>> >assessment, including those born in Greece;
>>
>> So you claim, but I don't care, because I don't rely on
>> man's wisdom, but rather, the Scriptures.
>>

>Since you insist on seeing more....
>

>1110 (Easton - Easton's Revised Bible Dictionary)
>Easter
>
>Originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of the
>Saxons, in honour of whom sacrifices were offered about the
>time of the Passover. Hence the name came to be given to the
>festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at the
>time of the Passover. In the early English versions this
>word was frequently used as the translation of the Greek
>pascha (the Passover). When the Authorized Version (1611)
>was formed, the word "passover" was used in all passages in
>which this word pascha occurred, except in Ac 12:4 In the
>Revised Version the proper word, "passover," is always used.

None of what you've quoted here (snipped) deals with
the fact that the Passover had already passed and so,
the passage could not be talking about the Passover,
since no one would be waiting for what had already
passed to occur.

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17

/
o{}xxxxx[]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\

"One cannot be exposed to the law and order of the
universe without concluding that there must be design
and purpose behind it all... The better we understand
the intricacies of the universe and all it harbors,
the more reason we have found to marvel at the inherent
design upon which it is based... To be forced to
believe only one conclusion --- that everything in the
universe happened by chance --- would violate the very
objectivity of science itself... What random process
could produce the brains of man or the system of the
human eye? They (evolutionists) challenge science to
prove the existence of God. But must we really light
a candle to see the Sun? ... They say they cannot
visualize a designer. Well, can a physicist visualize
an electron? ...What strange rationale makes some
physicists accept the inconceivable electron as real
while refusing to accept the reality of a Designer on
the ground that they cannot conceive Him?"
- Dennis R. Petersen, Unlocking the Mysteries
of Creation, Vol 1

Clifton Hodges
2004-07-17 10:42:17 EST

"Pastor Dave" <nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:ukdif0dgvg1id6psmq5hbs6ig7ba4p820t@4ax.com...
| While skydiving off of the Empire State Building on
| Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:25:56 GMT, "Clifton Hodges"
| <clifton-ray-hodges@spamoutverizon.net> screamed out:

| >and
of

with
| >your
| >>
| >> So you claim, but I don't care, because I don't rely on
| >> man's wisdom, but rather, the Scriptures.
| >>

| >Since you insist on seeing more....
| >

| >1110 (Easton - Easton's Revised Bible Dictionary)
| >Easter
| >
| >Originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of
the
| >Saxons, in honour of whom sacrifices were offered about
the
| >time of the Passover. Hence the name came to be given to
the
| >festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at
the
| >time of the Passover. In the early English versions this
| >word was frequently used as the translation of the Greek
| >pascha (the Passover). When the Authorized Version (1611)
| >was formed, the word "passover" was used in all passages
in
| >which this word pascha occurred, except in Ac 12:4 In the
| >Revised Version the proper word, "passover," is always
used.

| None of what you've quoted here (snipped) deals with
| the fact that the Passover had already passed and so,
| the passage could not be talking about the Passover,
| since no one would be waiting for what had already
| passed to occur.

Again, Grammar, (IMPERFECT TENSE), thus, it had NOT passed
by (it is the scriptural syntax you seek to argue with?),
again, the word "INTENDED" is omitted again - obviously so,
since he would bring Peter before the Jews during the
Passover period... we know that from historical records, and
even the Scriptures.

Good grief, Peter was probably rescued the same evening...
otherwise, if Herod had no need to wait for anything, then
he could have had Peter brought forth ther very next day.
Wrestling with the scriptures to try and justify a
mistranslation will not change what EACH and EVERY letter is
in the Greek... a grammatical shift requires different Greek
Words. We carry the meanings in the dictionaries, lexicons,
etc. to our children in the future, and such has been done
for us... why do you seek to change such massive amounts of
things that have been with us for centuries, all over the
world? Do you not find it odd, even yourself?

GREEK... GRAMMAR... SYNTAX... THE REAL MEANINGS THAT
PASSOVER IS USED THRU THE BIBLE.

Have a glorious weekend.

CRH

Pastor Dave
2004-07-17 10:53:18 EST
While skydiving off of the Empire State Building on
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:42:17 GMT, "Clifton Hodges"
<clifton-ray-hodges@spamoutverizon.net> screamed out:

>Again, Grammar, (IMPERFECT TENSE), thus, it had NOT passed
>by

Passover did. The rest of the week of Unleavened Bread
did not, nor did Easter.

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17

/
o{}xxxxx[]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\

The fact is, if you can't believe the beginning,
you can't believe the end and shouldn't claim to.
To disbelieve the beginning, is to doubt many things
that Jesus said. After all, He made it clear that
He believed it. If you believe in the Trinity, how
can you believe that God wouldn't know how it all
started? If you can't believe the beginning, then
get off the pulpit.

Clifton Hodges
2004-07-17 11:12:14 EST

"Pastor Dave" <nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:ukdif0dgvg1id6psmq5hbs6ig7ba4p820t@4ax.com...
| While skydiving off of the Empire State Building on
| Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:25:56 GMT, "Clifton Hodges"
| <clifton-ray-hodges@spamoutverizon.net> screamed out:

| >and
of

with
| >your
| >>
| >> So you claim, but I don't care, because I don't rely on
| >> man's wisdom, but rather, the Scriptures.
| >>

| >Since you insist on seeing more....
| >

| >1110 (Easton - Easton's Revised Bible Dictionary)
| >Easter
| >
| >Originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of
the
| >Saxons, in honour of whom sacrifices were offered about
the
| >time of the Passover. Hence the name came to be given to
the
| >festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at
the
| >time of the Passover. In the early English versions this
| >word was frequently used as the translation of the Greek
| >pascha (the Passover). When the Authorized Version (1611)
| >was formed, the word "passover" was used in all passages
in
| >which this word pascha occurred, except in Ac 12:4 In the
| >Revised Version the proper word, "passover," is always
used.

| None of what you've quoted here (snipped) deals with
| the fact that the Passover had already passed and so,
| the passage could not be talking about the Passover,
| since no one would be waiting for what had already
| passed to occur.

The Integral of the posts do... GREEK... maintain the
grammatical syntax, otherwise, it requires NEW (Different
words - not even in W&H itself)... the word greek word
"boulomai [1014]" (rendered as bouloMENOS {V-PNP-NSM}) which
shows that the Passover had NOT completed yet (which is
consisant with other scripures, a couple of which I have
already quoted, and it's wider sense of the meaing as used
more than just Acts 12:3,4 - otherwise, you are going to
have to change some other places in your Bible also to
Easter).

http://www.onlinebible.net/programs.html

CRH

=-----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World!
| -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!
=-----

Steve
2004-07-17 11:32:26 EST
Easter is Pagan, and the KJV made a mistake, but not the Geneva Bible
which came before the Masonic KJV 1611:

GENEVA Acts 12:4 And when he had caught him, he put him in prison, and
delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to be kept, intending
after the Passover to bring him forth to the people.

Never trust a Masonic Bible Version like the 1611 KJV:

This is the same King James (named in the Mayflower Compact below)
( http://www.av1611.org/kjv/kjvhist.html )
--(Knights Templar) who commisioned the 'translation' of the King
James Bible just a decade before. Seems he wasn't a nice guy......

His chief translator and the final editor was Sir Francis Bacon- a
Rosicrucian.
Bacon quotes: http://biblebabble.curbjaw.com/sirfrancisbacon.htm

More on Bacon's history- check out the bottom of the page for
symbology.
http://www.sirbacon.org/links/bible.html

Stands to reason that at least those who use the King James Bible, are
following a Secret Society slanted version , the 1599 Geneva Bible was
the Bible of choice by the people back then, and for good reasons, in
these last days the truth is coming forward, but now to convince the
blinded of the truth will be the real battle.

Steve
-------------
The pilgrims then set out to convert the world with their new Bible.
http://weholdthesetruths.org./American%20Documents/mayflower_compact.htm
The Mayflower Compact
November 1620
IN The Name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the Loyal
Subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God,
of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith,
&c. Having undertaken for the Glory of God, and Advancement of the
Christian Faith, and the Honor of our King and Country, a Voyage to
plant the first colony in the northern Parts of Virginia; Do by these
Presents, solemnly and mutually in the Presence of God and one
another, covenant and combine ourselves together into a civil Body
Politick, for our better Ordering and Preservation, and Furtherance of
the Ends aforesaid; And by Virtue hereof do enact, constitute, and
frame, such just and equal Laws, Ordinances, Acts, Constitutions, and
Offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and
convenient for t he general Good of the Colony; unto which we promise
all due Submission and Obedience. In WITNESS whereof we have hereunto
subscribed our names at Cape Cod the eleventh of November, in the
Reign of our Sovereign Lord King James of England, France, and
Ireland, the eighteenth and of Scotland, the fifty-fourth. Anno
Domini, 1620

John Carver Edward Tilley Digory Priest
William Bradford John Tilley Thomas Williams
Edward Winslow Francis Cooke Gilbert Winslow
William Brewster Thomas Rogers Edmund Margesson
Isaac Allerton Thomas Tinker Peter Browne
Myles Standish John Rigdale Richard Britteridge
John Alden Edward Fuller George Soule
John Turner Samuel Fuller Richard Clarke
Francis Eaton Christopher Martin Richard Gardiner
James Chilton William Mullins John Allerton
John Craxton William White Thomas English
John Billington Richard Warren Edward Doten
Moses Fletcher John Howland Edward Leister
John Goodman Stephen Hopkins

"Men occasionally stumble over truth,
Steve

S*6@MailSnare.net
Home Page
http://www.genevabible.org
1599 Geneva Bible Online
1 Corinthians 14:8 And also if the trumpet give an uncertain sound,
who shall prepare himself to battle?

"Let not Geneva be forgotten or despised. Religious liberty owes it
most respect." John Adams, the second president of the United States

Yahoo Group Owner
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Watchmen-on-the-wall/

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:24:33 -0400, Pastor Dave
<nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote:

>While skydiving off of the Empire State Building on
>Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:25:56 GMT, "Clifton Hodges"
><clifton-ray-hodges@spamoutverizon.net> screamed out:

>>and

>>your
>>>
>>> So you claim, but I don't care, because I don't rely on
>>> man's wisdom, but rather, the Scriptures.
>>>

>>Since you insist on seeing more....
>>

>>1110 (Easton - Easton's Revised Bible Dictionary)
>>Easter
>>
>>Originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of the
>>Saxons, in honour of whom sacrifices were offered about the
>>time of the Passover. Hence the name came to be given to the
>>festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at the
>>time of the Passover. In the early English versions this
>>word was frequently used as the translation of the Greek
>>pascha (the Passover). When the Authorized Version (1611)
>>was formed, the word "passover" was used in all passages in
>>which this word pascha occurred, except in Ac 12:4 In the
>>Revised Version the proper word, "passover," is always used.
>
>None of what you've quoted here (snipped) deals with
>the fact that the Passover had already passed and so,
>the passage could not be talking about the Passover,
>since no one would be waiting for what had already
>passed to occur.

Pastor Dave
2004-07-17 11:33:02 EST
While skydiving off of the Empire State Building on
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:12:14 GMT, "Clifton Hodges"
<clifton-ray-hodges@spamoutverizon.net> screamed out:

>| None of what you've quoted here (snipped) deals with
>| the fact that the Passover had already passed and so,
>| the passage could not be talking about the Passover,
>| since no one would be waiting for what had already
>| passed to occur.
>|

>The Integral of the posts do... GREEK... maintain the
>grammatical syntax, otherwise, it requires NEW (Different
>words - not even in W&H itself)... the word greek word
>"boulomai [1014]" (rendered as bouloMENOS {V-PNP-NSM}) which
>shows that the Passover had NOT completed yet (which is
>consisant with other scripures, a couple of which I have
>already quoted, and it's wider sense of the meaing as used
>more than just Acts 12:3,4 - otherwise, you are going to
>have to change some other places in your Bible also to
>Easter).

Let us agree to disagree and study the subject further.
I don't wish to go round and round on this forever. :)

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17

/
o{}xxxxx[]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\

"If then, these teachings [of a false prophet]
contradict the chief doctrine and article of Christ,
we should accord them neither with attention nor
acceptance though it were to snow miracles daily."
- Martin Luther

Clifton Hodges
2004-07-17 11:40:03 EST

"Pastor Dave" <nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:l9fif0ldv0jc0nvf7a5em4mhi34mpidhni@4ax.com...
| While skydiving off of the Empire State Building on
| Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:42:17 GMT, "Clifton Hodges"
| <clifton-ray-hodges@spamoutverizon.net> screamed out:
|

| >Again, Grammar, (IMPERFECT TENSE), thus, it had NOT
passed
| >by
|
| Passover did. The rest of the week of Unleavened Bread
| did not, nor did Easter.

IOW, you view the scriptures as lying, and after over a
millenia, we are told the truth since Tyndale, and the KJV
has "corrected" the Greek, in Acts 3 AND 4, and The Greek
and Hebrew as well?? It does not make any difference what
OTHER Festivals might have been taken place (even if the old
Easter even existed, and as far as trying to tie up OT
passages to it, you are the 1st I have ever seen to do
that.. you do not know there were ever the same, or did not
die out, how it progressed and evolved, and just came alive
again sometime in the mid of the 1st Millennia...

Again, Grammar, (IMPERFECT TENSE, a NON "TO BE"), other
passages, the word INTEND... I see know that you do not like
what the tittles and tots are when it does not suit it? Is
that what it is? I hope now, and correct me if that is not
see.... remove the blinders...

Pleasant Day,
Clifton

CRH

=-----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World!
| -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!
=-----

Pastor Dave
2004-07-17 15:55:23 EST
While skydiving off of the Empire State Building on
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:12:14 GMT, "Clifton Hodges"
<clifton-ray-hodges@spamoutverizon.net> screamed out:

>| None of what you've quoted here (snipped) deals with
>| the fact that the Passover had already passed and so,
>| the passage could not be talking about the Passover,
>| since no one would be waiting for what had already
>| passed to occur.
>|

>The Integral of the posts do... GREEK... maintain the
>grammatical syntax, otherwise, it requires NEW (Different
>words - not even in W&H itself)... the word greek word
>"boulomai [1014]" (rendered as bouloMENOS {V-PNP-NSM}) which
>shows that the Passover had NOT completed yet (which is
>consisant with other scripures, a couple of which I have
>already quoted, and it's wider sense of the meaing as used
>more than just Acts 12:3,4 - otherwise, you are going to
>have to change some other places in your Bible also to
>Easter).

Let us disagree to agree and study the subject farther.
I do wish to go round and round on this forever.

--

� Pastor Dave �

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee: neither
have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out of my lips
was right before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is
the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17
/}
\}