Bible Discussion: (~) Hebrew Names Of God

(~) Hebrew Names Of God

Ninure Saunders
2004-07-17 09:22:55 EST
(~) Hebrew names of God

Elohim (God)

Jehovah/Yahweh (the self-existent one: I AM)

Jehovah-jireh (the Lord will provide)

Jehovah-rapha (the Lord who heals)

Jehovah-nissi (the Lord our banner)

Jehovah-Shalom (the Lord our peace)

Jehovah-ra-ah (the Lord my shepherd)

Jehovah-tsidkenu (the Lord our righteousness)

Jehovah-shammad (the Lord is present)

Jehovah-Elohim (the Lord God)

Jehovah Sabaoth (the Lord of hosts)

El Elyon (the most high God)

Adonai (our master)

El Shaddai (Almighty God, the God who nutures us)

El Olam (everlasting God)

Ninure Saunders aka Rainbow Christian
http://Rainbow-Christian.tk

The Lord is my Shepherd and He knows I'm Gay
http://Ninure-Saunders.tk

Take my polls
http://ninure.100megsfree5.com

My Yahoo Group
http://Ninure.tk

My Online Diary
http://www.ninure.deardiary.net
-
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
http://www.MCCchurch.org

To send e-mail, remove nohate from address

Terrell D Lewis
2004-07-17 11:18:21 EST
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:22:55 GMT,
R*e@Rainbow-Christian.tk (Ninure Saunders) wrote:

>(~) Hebrew names of God
>
>Elohim (God)
>
>Jehovah/Yahweh (the self-existent one: I AM)
>
>Jehovah-jireh (the Lord will provide)
>
>Jehovah-rapha (the Lord who heals)
>
>Jehovah-nissi (the Lord our banner)
>
>Jehovah-Shalom (the Lord our peace)
>
>Jehovah-ra-ah (the Lord my shepherd)
>
>Jehovah-tsidkenu (the Lord our righteousness)
>
>Jehovah-shammad (the Lord is present)
>
>Jehovah-Elohim (the Lord God)
>
>Jehovah Sabaoth (the Lord of hosts)
>
>El Elyon (the most high God)
>
>Adonai (our master)
>
>El Shaddai (Almighty God, the God who nutures us)
>
>El Olam (everlasting God)

"Jehovah" is an invention using the Name YHWH and the vowel points for
Adonai.

Most of these (Jehovah-Jireh, etc.) are place names named in honor of
an act of YHWH.

Some of the remainder are titles.

His Name is YHWH.

Terrell

Mary
2004-07-17 15:13:42 EST

"Terrell D Lewis" <composer7NOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:22:55 GMT,
> RainbowChristiannohate@Rainbow-Christian.tk (Ninure Saunders) wrote:
>
>>(~) Hebrew names of God
>>
>>Elohim (God)
>>
>>Jehovah/Yahweh (the self-existent one: I AM)
>>
>>Jehovah-jireh (the Lord will provide)
>>
>>Jehovah-rapha (the Lord who heals)
>>
>>Jehovah-nissi (the Lord our banner)
>>
>>Jehovah-Shalom (the Lord our peace)
>>
>>Jehovah-ra-ah (the Lord my shepherd)
>>
>>Jehovah-tsidkenu (the Lord our righteousness)
>>
>>Jehovah-shammad (the Lord is present)
>>
>>Jehovah-Elohim (the Lord God)
>>
>>Jehovah Sabaoth (the Lord of hosts)
>>
>>El Elyon (the most high God)
>>
>>Adonai (our master)
>>
>>El Shaddai (Almighty God, the God who nutures us)
>>
>>El Olam (everlasting God)
>>

> "Jehovah" is an invention using the Name YHWH and the vowel points for
> Adonai.
>
> Most of these (Jehovah-Jireh, etc.) are place names named in honor of
> an act of YHWH.
>
> Some of the remainder are titles.
>
> His Name is YHWH.

His name is Jealous!

Libertarius
2004-07-20 15:38:57 EST
===>Originally those were all DIFFERENT GODS!

Ninure Saunders wrote:

> (~) Hebrew names of God
>
> Elohim (God)
>
> Jehovah/Yahweh (the self-existent one: I AM)
>
> Jehovah-jireh (the Lord will provide)
>
> Jehovah-rapha (the Lord who heals)
>
> Jehovah-nissi (the Lord our banner)
>
> Jehovah-Shalom (the Lord our peace)
>
> Jehovah-ra-ah (the Lord my shepherd)
>
> Jehovah-tsidkenu (the Lord our righteousness)
>
> Jehovah-shammad (the Lord is present)
>
> Jehovah-Elohim (the Lord God)
>
> Jehovah Sabaoth (the Lord of hosts)
>
> El Elyon (the most high God)
>
> Adonai (our master)
>
> El Shaddai (Almighty God, the God who nutures us)
>
> El Olam (everlasting God)
>
> Ninure Saunders aka Rainbow Christian
> http://Rainbow-Christian.tk
>
> The Lord is my Shepherd and He knows I'm Gay
> http://Ninure-Saunders.tk
>
> Take my polls
> http://ninure.100megsfree5.com
>
> My Yahoo Group
> http://Ninure.tk
>
> My Online Diary
> http://www.ninure.deardiary.net
> -
> Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
> http://www.MCCchurch.org
>
> To send e-mail, remove nohate from address

Libertarius
2004-07-20 15:39:58 EST

Mary wrote:

> "Terrell D Lewis" <composer7NOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:22:55 GMT,
> > RainbowChristiannohate@Rainbow-Christian.tk (Ninure Saunders) wrote:
> >
> >>(~) Hebrew names of God
> >>
> >>Elohim (God)
> >>
> >>Jehovah/Yahweh (the self-existent one: I AM)
> >>
> >>Jehovah-jireh (the Lord will provide)
> >>
> >>Jehovah-rapha (the Lord who heals)
> >>
> >>Jehovah-nissi (the Lord our banner)
> >>
> >>Jehovah-Shalom (the Lord our peace)
> >>
> >>Jehovah-ra-ah (the Lord my shepherd)
> >>
> >>Jehovah-tsidkenu (the Lord our righteousness)
> >>
> >>Jehovah-shammad (the Lord is present)
> >>
> >>Jehovah-Elohim (the Lord God)
> >>
> >>Jehovah Sabaoth (the Lord of hosts)
> >>
> >>El Elyon (the most high God)
> >>
> >>Adonai (our master)
> >>
> >>El Shaddai (Almighty God, the God who nutures us)
> >>
> >>El Olam (everlasting God)
> >>

> > "Jehovah" is an invention using the Name YHWH and the vowel points for
> > Adonai.
> >
> > Most of these (Jehovah-Jireh, etc.) are place names named in honor of
> > an act of YHWH.
> >
> > Some of the remainder are titles.
> >
> > His Name is YHWH.
>
> His name is Jealous!

===>His name is SHE. ;-) -- L.

John Ings
2004-07-20 17:22:35 EST
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:22:55 GMT,
R*e@Rainbow-Christian.tk (Ninure Saunders) wrote:

>Elohim (God)

El is the Semitic term for deity. It could be either a proper noun or
a common noun, referring to the chief deity in the pantheon of
Canaanite gods whose consort was Asherah, or as a generic term for
other deities. e.g. El Roi, El Olam, El Elyon, El Bethel also called
Baal-berith. When the Hebrews abandoned polytheism for monolatry these
other deities were tacity acknowledged, but no longer worshiped except
by stubborn holdouts. When monolatry became monotheism, everybody
pretended these references in the Pentateuch were just other names of
YHWH.

Elohim is the plural form, which translates as "Almighty Beings"

It is equivalent to God only in modern rationalizations.

## Remember, history is written by the victors.

Libertarius
2004-07-20 18:58:18 EST
===>EL is originally the Bigg Daddy of the gods,
father of Yahu/YHWH as well as YHWH's brother BAAL.
(See the Ugaritic material). -- L.

John Ings wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:22:55 GMT,
> RainbowChristiannohate@Rainbow-Christian.tk (Ninure Saunders) wrote:
>
> >Elohim (God)
>
> El is the Semitic term for deity. It could be either a proper noun or
> a common noun, referring to the chief deity in the pantheon of
> Canaanite gods whose consort was Asherah, or as a generic term for
> other deities. e.g. El Roi, El Olam, El Elyon, El Bethel also called
> Baal-berith. When the Hebrews abandoned polytheism for monolatry these
> other deities were tacity acknowledged, but no longer worshiped except
> by stubborn holdouts. When monolatry became monotheism, everybody
> pretended these references in the Pentateuch were just other names of
> YHWH.
>
> Elohim is the plural form, which translates as "Almighty Beings"
>
> It is equivalent to God only in modern rationalizations.
>
> ## Remember, history is written by the victors.

Terrell D Lewis
2004-07-20 19:12:00 EST
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:39:58 -0600, Libertarius
<*s@Nothing_But_The.Truth> wrote:

>> > His Name is YHWH.
>>
>> His name is Jealous!
>
>===>His name is SHE. ;-) -- L.

The scriptures call God a Him, and a Father, although, yes, this does
tend to limit our understanding of God, God is actually neither a Him,
a Her, or an It, God is simply God -- Beyond comprehension.

Although, the relationship Jesus taught us to have with God is as a
Father, and all that an IDEAL Father would be.

Terrell

Libertarius
2004-07-22 16:43:15 EST

Terrell D Lewis wrote:

> >> His name is Jealous!
> >
> >===>His name is SHE. ;-) -- L.
>
> The scriptures call God a Him, and a Father, although, yes, this does
> tend to limit our understanding of God, God is actually neither a Him,
> a Her, or an It, God is simply God -- Beyond comprehension.

===>Only for those who refuse to or give up trying
to comprehend.
Read SPINOZA.

> Although, the relationship Jesus taught us to have with God is as a
> Father, and all that an IDEAL Father would be.

===>Only because, according to the story writers, his mom was
conned into letting herself get pregnant by promises that her son
would be "son of God" and king over the Jews. -- L.