Bible Discussion: The Sacred Name

The Sacred Name

Clifton Hodges
2004-07-15 14:50:46 EST

"Terrell D Lewis" <composer7NOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message
news:hhiaf0hn6l1lmhtd0kos7g0sammfmt50re@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:33:48 GMT, "Clifton Hodges"
> <cliftonhodges@nospamverizon.net> wrote:
>

> >"Terrell D Lewis" <composer7NOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message
> >> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 18:13:24 -0700, "L Perez"
> ><LPerezDncr@hotmail.com>

> >I have some excerpts on this issue, which I am scanning
> >this morning, and will run it through OCR and post it,
> >hopefullly this week. Because I had underlined certain
> >words and phrases, and entered marginal notes on those
> >particular pages, it is going to be a bit more
> >tricky.... isn't life, so much fun! LOL.

> I am anxious to see them.

These are excerpts from a work titled: "The History of
Gnosticisms Influence upon the English Bible!" By
Luther W. Martin And is included (as Appendix I, Pages
341-554) in UNHOLY HANDS ON THE BIBLE VOL. II, Editor
Jay P. Green, Sr. Obviously so, since it also includes
critiques on Bibles going back into the early 1st
Century, and 2 of the Bibles that are reviewed and
critiqued upon are by Jay P. Green, Sr. (MKJV & LITV).
So I point that out to let you know, that this is not
the writings of a "ONE-BIBLE Onlyism". The post is for
the purpose of references to the Tetragrammaton, the
Divine Name, and not for conveying the critiques of the
2 Bibles alluded to here. It just happens to include
resourceful info here and there during a great deal of
the very many critiques.

The Sacred Scriptures - 1981
Assemblies of Yahweh, Bethel, Pa.

(A selection of a whole)

"This Volume of The Sacred Scriptures is dedicated to the
Glory of the Great YAHWEH and His Son YAHSHUA the Messiah."
"The Sacred Scriptures, Bethel Edition, is based upon the
translation work of the American Standard, 1901. During the
late 19th century an effort was made to correct and update
the obsolete King James translation of 1611 (known also as
the Authorized Version). Since the American scholars
concluded that their research had been largely spurned by
the British revisers they produced their own version, a
revision of the King James Bible here in the United States.
The American Standard Version published in 1901 was probably
the most accurate translation work of the Bible ever put
into print. It maintains the delicate balance of providing a
very accurate literal translation while simultaneously
preserving a fair amount of the ethnic idiom evident in the
text." (Preface, p. iii.). "One of the most prominent
differences between the American Standard Version, 1901 and
the King James Version was the use of the attempted
transliteration of the Heavenly Father's Name inspired in
the Hebrew Scriptures. Those who produced the American
Standard Version relied upon the term Jehovah which was
quite familiar to many people. They recognized the
inescapable fact that it is important to have the reader
personally realize that the Tetragrammaton. (the four letter
word that represents the Sacred Name of the Almighty in the
Hebrew text) is of vital importance if one is to comprehend
the distinctive flavor of the original text. They knew that
the term 'Lord' is not a name, but a title which cannot
represent the unique word that stands for the Name of the
Almighty. "However, the form Jehovah is proven to be a
monstrosity, Although widely known for about four hundred
years; nevertheless, it originated as a corruption by the
scribes who introduced foreign vowel points and attached
them to the Tetragrammaton. The vowel points selected were
those of the word Adonai. By adding these foreign vowel
points to the Tetragrammaton, the Sacred Name cannot be
pronounced. The English hybrid monstrosity 'Jehovah'
resulted when Peter Galatin in 1520 publshed this torm. . ."
"The common Christian designation 'Jesus Christ' cannot be
verified scripturally or linguistically. . ." (Preface, pp.
iv-v.). The Preface was written by Jacob 0. Meyer, Editor.
As the above quotation indicates, this version uses Yahshua
for Christ's name, and Yahweh, for God. The Marys of the New
Testament are called Miriam. This version ignores some of
the Gnostic deletions. (UHB v2 Pages 530-531)

[remaining text not posted]

* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

New Revised Standard Version - 1989
Division of Christian Education
National Counil, Churches of Christ, U.S.A.

[Much text before this paragraph]
(A selection of a whole)

Other weaknesses: Pronouns referring to the Deity are not
capitalized. Individual publishers are left at liberty to
devise their own section or paragraph headings,
cross-references, and guides to the correct pronunciation of
proper names. A quote from the Preface: "Careful readers
will notice that here and there in the Old Testament the
word LORD (or in certain cases GOD) is printed in capital
letters. This represents the traditional manner in English
versions of rendering the Divine Name, the 'Tetragrammaton,'
following the precedent of the ancient Greek and Latin
translators and the long established practice in the reading
of the Hebrew Scriptures in the synagogue. While it is
almost if not quite certain that the Name was originally
pronounced 'Yahweh,' this pronunciation was not indicated
when the Masoretes added vowel sounds to the consonantal
Hebrew text. To the four consonants YHWH of the Name, which
had come to be regarded as too sacred to be pronounced, they
attached vowel signs indicating that in its place should be
read the Hebrew word Adonai meaning 'Lord' (or Elohim
meaning 'God'). Ancient Greek translators employed the word
Kyrios ('Lord') for the Name. The Vulgate likewise used the
Latin word Dominus ('Lord'). The form 'Jehovah' is of late
medieval origin; it is a combination of the consonants of
the Divine Name and the vowels attached to it by the
Masoretes but belonging to an entirely different word.
Although the American Standard Version (1901) had used
'Jehovah' to render the Tetragrammaton (the sound of Y being
represented by J and the sound of W by V, as in Latin), for
two reasons the Committee that produced the RSV and the NRSV
returned to the more familiar usage of the King James
Version. (1) The word 'Jehovah' does not accurately
represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew. (2) The
use of any proper name for the one and only God, as though
there were other gods from whom the true God had to be
distinguished, began to be discontinued in Judaism before
the Christian era and is inappropriate for the universal
faith of the Christian Church." (UHB v2 Pages 547-548)

{EOP}

Terrell D Lewis
2004-07-15 15:06:45 EST
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:50:46 GMT, "Clifton Hodges"
<clifton-ray-hodges@spamoutverizon.net> wrote:

>(1) The word 'Jehovah' does not accurately
>represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew. (2) The
>use of any proper name for the one and only God, as though
>there were other gods from whom the true God had to be
>distinguished, began to be discontinued in Judaism before
>the Christian era and is inappropriate for the universal
>faith of the Christian Church." (UHB v2 Pages 547-548)

Interesting. I have seen a Restored Name KJV, perhaps someone should
do a restored Name ASV.

There is an article in my possession somewhere (pdf) that provides
fairly convincing evidence that YHWH would have been pronounced
"Yahuweh." I can dig it up if you want me to e-mail it.

Terrell

Steve
2004-07-15 16:41:27 EST
http://www.luciferlink.org/mmore.htm

Truth about the TE-TRA-GRAM-MA-TON

MORE MORMON MAGICK
by Larry Hall
"For all that do these things are an
abomination unto the LORD:..."
(Deuteronomy 18:12)
Idolatry within Mormonism must be just as grievous to the Lord as it
was in ancient Judah. Mormons worship a limited god of flesh and
bones. Their god is a created being living on a distant planet near
the star Kolob. He was once a man and had a father who was a created
being who also became a god, ad infinitum.

The Mormon god is limited in knowledge and is still progressing to
perfection. He is not omnipresent and can be in only one place at any
given time. He is a god with many wives; one of them gave birth to a
spirit child named Mary. He placed Mary in an "earthly tabernacle of
flesh" and then visited her years later for the purpose of having
physical sexual relations with her. The resulting Mormon Jesus is the
spirit brother of Lucifer, the devil.

As in the days of Jeremiah, foreign gods have taken up residence in
the Mormon Temple. Hermetic and satanic symbols play a vital role in
both architecture and ceremony. These characters and symbols are
clearly an abomination to the God of the Bible. I am certain that
Jeremiah would echo my sentiments with boldness: the Mormon Church is
defying the Lord, disobeying God's laws, and is destined for judgment!

"But if ye will not hear it, my soul shall weep in secret places for
your pride; and mine eye shall weep sore, and run down with tears,
because the LORD's flock is carried away captive." (Jeremiah 13:17)

Hyrum Smith's Magick Paraphernalia

The magick talisman of Joseph Smith, founder of the Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-day Saints, was examined for its occultic meanings in
an APOLOGETICS article entitled, "Joseph's Magick Talisman." The
metallic object was discovered on Smith's body after his assassination
in Carthage, Illinois, in 1844. It was positively identified as a
Jupiterian charm used by practitioners of the black arts to conjure up
supernatural powers in an effort to control the forces of nature.

The use of such objects for conjuration and divination is strictly
prohibited by the Biblical God: "There shall not be found among you
any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire,
or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or
a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a
wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an
abomination unto the LORD:..." 1

If you think that Joseph's magick talisman was an isolated and
insignificant incident in Mormon history, it is imperative that we
examine the death scene more closely. We have already looked at his
parents' involvement in magick and divination. We will now turn our
attention to Joseph's older brother Hyrum.

Hyrum Smith was one of the eight witnesses to the Book of Mormon. He
was very close to Joseph and was incarcerated with him in the Carthage
jail. He was killed by the mob in the same blazing gunfight that ended
the life of the first Mormon prophet.

Several very significant magick artifacts were in Hyrum's possession
at the time of his death. They were listed by Mormon apologist Pearson
H. Corbett as, "Dagger, Masonic ten inch, stainless steel--wooden
handle--Masonic symbols on blade. Emblematic
parchments--Masonic--three, original hand painted on heavy bodied
paper--on border appears initials 'I.H.S.'...Pouch, Masonic--cotton
fabric 4" x 4" with draw string attached." 2

These magick materials are now in the possession of Eldred G. Smith,
great-great-grandson of Hyrum Smith, who used to make them available
for public inspection. He apparently does not do so now because he
does not wish them to cause embarrassment to the Mormon Church. He
does, however, admit that they may be "cabalistic" in origin (i.e.,
linked to occult or mystic writings). 3

Pictures of the Hyrum Smith relics can be found in Jerald and Sandra
Tanner's masterful book entitled, Mormonism, Magic and Masonry. I
spoke with Sandra Tanner about obtaining higher-quality photographs,
but she informed me that her copies were second generation also.
Apparently the first-generation photographs were used by Mormon
Historian D. Michael Quinn in an out-of-print book he published prior
to being excommunicated from the church for being so forthright in his
research!

The photographs above and to the right depict two of the parchments
belonging to Hyrum Smith. I will give a brief explanation of the most
significant symbols and their connection with the magickal arts.

The circular objects found in both photographs are known in witchcraft
as pentacles. They are used by magicians to gain power over the spirit
world. They must be made in accordance with specific rules and
consecration rites.

While they are usually made out of metal that corresponds to the
nature of the suitable planet, according to The Greater Key of
Solomon, "They may also be made with Virgin Parchment paper, writing
thereon with the colors adopted for each planet,...and according to
the Planet with which the Pentacle is in sympathy." 4

You will notice that the Hyrum Smith pentacles are identical to the
ones shown in photograph #3. These appeared in a 1584 book entitled
The Discovery of Witchcraft by Reginald Scot and are the pentacles
depicted for the purpose of "conjuring for a dead spirit." Under one
of the pentacles is the inscription, "Whoso beareth this sign about
him, all spirits shall do him homage."

In the encyclopedia of occultism, The Golden Dawn, Israel Regardie
explains the pentacle as one of the Elemental weapons which "...are
symbolic representations of the forces employed for the manifestation
of the inner self, the elements required for the incarnation of the
divine." 5

It is certain that the Smith brothers knew very little about the power
of God. The Holy Spirit does not play with tarot cards! The Prince of
Darkness, however, has the deck memorized.

On the Hyrum Smith parchment (below right), a strange looking
pentagram appears in the top center portion. Inside the points, the
word TE-TRA-GRAM-MA-TON is inscribed according to its syllables
starting at the top and extending clockwise.

The Tanners have located the identical object in the book, The
Ancients Book of Magic, by Lewis de Claremont (photograph #4).
Tetragrammaton is the name of God frequently used in magic and
according to Regardie's Golden Dawn System of Magic, "Qabalistically,
each letter of the Tetragrammaton was attributed to one of the four
major primitive elements of the ancients....represents the four basic
elements of life." 6

Another strange shape (below left) is found in Francis Barrett's 1801
book of occult philosophy The Magus. You will find the almost
identical shape in the center portion of Hyrum Smith's parchment (top
left), including the word RAPHAEL inscribed in the middle. According
to Regardie, "Raphael is the Archangel of air. The Archangel of
Tiphareth is also Raphael. The angel of Mercury is also Raphael." 7

The Tanners have located another identification in The Grimoire of
Armadel, "RAPHAEL is a Spirit of Science who did teach Solomon
Knowledge and Wisdom. He is to be invoked on a Sunday before Sunrise."
8 Regardless of the meaning intended by Hyrum Smith, the symbol is
positively occultic and has nothing to do with Christianity!

You will remember that Pearson Corbett listed among the Hyrum Smith
artifacts a "Dagger" with "Masonic symbols on blade." Photographs of
the dagger (not reproduced in this article) show the Hebrew characters
forming the word ADONAI (Lord) on one side, and the seal of Mars on
the other. The seal and characters are both found on a talisman shown
by Barrett in his book The Magus.

Notwithstanding the importance of the dagger in ceremonial magic, the
seal of Mars was a very suitable occultic symbol for Hyrum Smith to
carry. Mars is associated with war and destruction! According to The
Greater Key of Solomon, "In the days and hours of Mars thou canst make
experiments regarding Wars; to arrive at military honour; to acquire
courage; to overthrow enemies; and further to cause ruin, slaughter,
cruelty, discord; to wound and to give death." 9

In The Magus, we read, "The third table belongs to Mars, ...and there
are over it divine names with an intelligence to good, and a spirit to
evil, and out of it is drawn the characters of Mars and of his
spirits. These, with Mars fortunate, being engraven on an iron plate,
or sword, makes a man potent in war and judgment, and petitions, and
terrible to his enemies; and victorious over them;..." 10

Much more could be said about the Smith brothers and their magick
history. The evidence supporting their occultic background and
involvement with witchcraft is simply overwhelming. Pray with me that
the beautiful Mormon people will come to this realization and leave
their Temple of Doom!