Bible Discussion: Beware Of The Worldly People; Follow The Holy Spirit.

Beware Of The Worldly People; Follow The Holy Spirit.

Apostle Thomas Batchelor
2004-07-11 07:54:22 EST
All who are Holy Spirit baptized, be encouraged to beware
of Satan and the worldly people with their wiles and other tricks
and they even quote scriptures. Expect the Holy Spirit to see
the enemy better than we used to. Follow the Holy Spirit.
God, the Lord Jesus Christ, and angels appear in real time, and
in dreams, and in visions, and in trances. Man hasn't caught
up with God's sciences. Our Holy Spirit helps us to live in the
New Testament all the time; don't live like Old Testament.
Be encouraged with the Holy Spirit. Pray God's protection on
you and me. May God bless you.
Apostle Thomas Batchelor.

Terrell D Lewis
2004-07-11 09:06:25 EST
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 07:54:22 -0400, "Apostle Thomas Batchelor"
<*r@juno.com> wrote:

>Apostle Thomas Batchelor.

Titles in the Body of Christ

Titles are inappropriate in the Body of Christ. Paul was "Paul an
apostle" not "Apostle Paul." There is only one Apostle, that being
Christ Jesus. Likewise, Silas was "Silas the prophet." Philip was
"Philip the evangelist."

But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and
all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for
one is your Father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters:
for one is your Master, even Christ. But he that is greatest among you
shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be
abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted. (Matthew
23:8-12)

The principle is well stated in the final verse. By allowing
ourselves to be called "apostle," "prophet," "pastor," "reverend," and
so forth, we are exalting ourselves over our brothers and this is
inappropriate.

To put another way, there is actually One Pastor, One Apostle, One
Prophet in the Body of Christ, and many who are called to represent
Him as apostles, prophets, pastors, and so forth to the world and to
the church and by allowing others to give us flattering titles such as
these we are usurping His place.

And whoever takes these titles and lords it over others will be
brought down and those who humbly serve without title or recognition
will be exalted in time.

Terrell

Pastor Dave
2004-07-11 10:09:38 EST
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:06:25 GMT, Terrell D Lewis
<*M@sbcglobal.net> posted thusly:

>On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 07:54:22 -0400, "Apostle Thomas Batchelor"
><thomasbatchelor@juno.com> wrote:
>
>>Apostle Thomas Batchelor.
>
>Titles in the Body of Christ
>
>Titles are inappropriate in the Body of Christ. Paul was "Paul an
>apostle" not "Apostle Paul." There is only one Apostle, that being
>Christ Jesus. Likewise, Silas was "Silas the prophet." Philip was
>"Philip the evangelist."
>
>But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and
>all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for
>one is your Father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters:
>for one is your Master, even Christ. But he that is greatest among you
>shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be
>abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted. (Matthew
>23:8-12)
>
>The principle is well stated in the final verse. By allowing
>ourselves to be called "apostle," "prophet," "pastor," "reverend," and
>so forth, we are exalting ourselves over our brothers and this is
>inappropriate.

I could say, "Dave the pastor", but what's the
difference? I agree with what you're saying about
certain titles. I would not call myself "Reverend",
for that exact reason. However, the statement that
there is only one Apostle, is not correct, for example.
Scripture says otherwise...

Ephesians 4:11-12

11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and
some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of
the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Those are plural. There is only one Lord and Saviour.

>And whoever takes these titles and lords it over others will be
>brought down

Note your statement. "AND lords it over others". That
is the key.

>and those who humbly serve without title or recognition
>will be exalted in time.

And yet, the Apostles were the Apostles. They never
said, "don't call me that". In Fact, Paul said...

"Am I not an apostle?"

I'm sorry, but your statements do not line up with
Scripture.

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17

/
o{}xxxxx[]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected
the Sermon on the Mount... The world has achieved
brilliance without conscience. Ours is a world of
nuclear giants and ethical infants."
- General Omar Bradley

Terrell D Lewis
2004-07-11 15:49:37 EST
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:09:38 -0400, Pastor Dave
<nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm sorry, but your statements do not line up with
>Scripture.

Lead a horse to water...

These things were not titles, yes, Paul was "an apostle," he was never
"Apostle Paul." They are job descriptions not titles, oh exalted one.

Terrell

Paul Laird
2004-07-11 18:07:09 EST

"Terrell D Lewis" <composer7NOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:09:38 -0400, Pastor Dave
> <nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm sorry, but your statements do not line up with
> >Scripture.
>
> Lead a horse to water...
>
> These things were not titles, yes, Paul was "an apostle," he was never
> "Apostle Paul." They are job descriptions not titles, oh exalted one.
>

> Terrell

You show an ignorance of both English and Greek grammar. I am AN
investigator for my state. Others, refering to my job title or to the work
I do, say, "Mr. Laird, THE investigator." The difference is simply that of
"who is speaking." Paul always referred to himself as "an Apostle" because
one does not use the definite article when refering to one's self. Others,
referring to Paul, refer to him as "THE Apostle Paul" to differentiate him
from other preachers or people named "Paul." Such usage is not only common,
it is correct grammar. To base you understanding of the Word upon the
improper use of grammar is to leave yourself open to scriptural error.

Pastor Dave
2004-07-12 09:21:06 EST
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:49:37 GMT, Terrell D Lewis
<*M@sbcglobal.net> posted thusly:

>On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:09:38 -0400, Pastor Dave
><nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm sorry, but your statements do not line up with
>>Scripture.
>
>Lead a horse to water...
>
>These things were not titles, yes, Paul was "an apostle," he was never
>"Apostle Paul." They are job descriptions not titles, oh exalted one.

Being snotty is not going to help you any. Nor is
snipping the Scripture that I provided.

The fact is, that Paul stated he was an Apostle. In
those days, the church did have official titles,
whether you want to believe that or not. There were
Bishops, Elders, Apostles, Pastors, etc..

When I meet people, I normally just give them my name.
However, in a church setting, whether I introduce
myself as, "Dave, the pastor of this church", or,
"Pastor Dave", it really doesn't matter. What does
matter, is when men take titles that are above and
beyond what God has intended. For example, "The Most
Right Reverend John Jones". That is obviously intended
for applause for him.

Sitting at your keyboard, blasting anyone with a title
is not going to help the cause of Christ. It sounds
more like you're either angry, because there is
something that you wanted to attain, but did not, or
you were taught something (or think you learned
something) and now want the whole world to stop using
titles.

The bottom line is that I am a Christian first and a
pastor second. I do not try to run everyone's life,
but a pastor is a shepherd, which is what Jesus taught
Peter to be, for example and a pastor does have a
responsibility to lead and "feed the sheep" by serving
in the capacity that God intended and there is a
structure of authority in the churches, in the NT
Scriptures. That is apparent to anyone who takes the
time to read up on this subject in the Scriptures.

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17

/
o{}xxxxx[]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\

In the beginning, God created...

And He did it in six days and said
He did it in six days (Exodus 20:11).

Terrell D Lewis
2004-07-14 07:52:45 EST
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:07:09 -0700, "Paul Laird"
<*0@ywave.com> wrote:

>Others,
>referring to Paul, refer to him as "THE Apostle Paul" to differentiate him
>from other preachers or people named "Paul." Such usage is not only common,
>it is correct grammar.

Nowhere is he called that in scripture.

Neither does he refer to others as "Apostle so-and-so," although he
refers to several people as apostles, even when referring to Peter, he
doesn't give him a title.

We are a title driven people, puffed up and proud, which is exactly
what Jesus was telling His people not to be.

Terrell