Bible Discussion: What Scriptures, What Prophecy?

What Scriptures, What Prophecy?

John Watson
2004-07-05 23:59:36 EST
Matthew

26:54
But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

What scriptures? What prophets? There is no such prophecy in the Old
Testament.

26:55
In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a
thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching
in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.

26:56
But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be
fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

John

Paul Laird
2004-07-06 16:29:34 EST

"John Watson" <JW2@aol.com> wrote in message
> Matthew
>
> 26:54
> But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
>
> What scriptures? What prophets? There is no such prophecy in the Old
> Testament.
>
> 26:55
> In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against
> thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching
> in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
>
> 26:56
> But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be
> fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
>
> John

John, what are we going to do with you? You keep abusing the Word of God by
deliberately misusing it; by consistently pulling a few verses out of
context in a pathetic attempt to prove the Word to be false.

Verse 54 is the LAST VERSE of a specific section of scripture. Jesus is
reproving Peter for cutting off the soldier's ear; for using a human sword
instead of the spiritual sword, which is God's Word. The scripture being
fulfilled in 26:54 is Genesis 9:6 in which God proclaims that all those
whose hand draw human blood will have their blood spilled by human hands.

Verse 55 opens an entirely different train of thought. Verse 56 prepares
the reader for the fact that all that would follow - the trial, the
crucifixion, and the Resurrection - all that would be fulfillment of
prophecy relating to the Messiah.

You really need to find another line of work; you are a poor apologist for
those who don't believe. At least you should be intellectually and
philosophically honest.

John Watson
2004-07-06 16:44:09 EST

"Paul Laird" <smalltoe10@ywave.com> wrote in message

> "John Watson" <JW2@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Matthew
>>
>> 26:54
>> But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
>>
>> What scriptures? What prophets? There is no such prophecy in the Old
>> Testament.
>>
>> 26:55
>> In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as
>> against
>> thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you
>> teaching
>> in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
>>
>> 26:56
>> But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be
>> fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
>>
>> John
>

> John, what are we going to do with you? You keep abusing the Word of God
> by
> deliberately misusing it; by consistently pulling a few verses out of
> context in a pathetic attempt to prove the Word to be false.

It's anything but the word of God, more the rant and ravings of a mad man.

Come on now, you really don't believe that the bible is the word of God, do
you?

You know as well as I do that Jesus never fulfilled any OT prophecy, don't
you?

John

Paul Laird
2004-07-06 18:03:08 EST

> "Paul Laird" <smalltoe10@ywave.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "John Watson" <JW2@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> Matthew
> >>
> >> 26:54
> >> But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
> >>
> >> What scriptures? What prophets? There is no such prophecy in the Old
> >> Testament.
> >>
> >> 26:55
> >> In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as
> >> against
> >> thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you
> >> teaching
> >> in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
> >>
> >> 26:56
> >> But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be
> >> fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
> >>
> >> John
> >

> > John, what are we going to do with you? You keep abusing the Word of
God
> > by
> > deliberately misusing it; by consistently pulling a few verses out of
> > context in a pathetic attempt to prove the Word to be false.
>
> It's anything but the word of God, more the rant and ravings of a mad man.
>
> Come on now, you really don't believe that the bible is the word of God,
do
> you?
>
> You know as well as I do that Jesus never fulfilled any OT prophecy, don't
> you?
>
> John

Yes John, I serious believe the Bible is the Word of God. I'm betting my
life on it. You're betting your life it is not. Those are the stakes, and
the stakes are not this life, but ETERNAL LIFE. I know very well Jesus
fulfilled EVERY OT prophecy. And I am completely honest and ethical about
my use of the Word, unlike yourself.

John Watson
2004-07-06 18:34:46 EST

> "John Watson" <JW2@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul Laird" <smalltoe10@ywave.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "John Watson" <JW2@aol.com> wrote in message

>> > John, what are we going to do with you? You keep abusing the Word of
> God
>> > by
>> > deliberately misusing it; by consistently pulling a few verses out of
>> > context in a pathetic attempt to prove the Word to be false.
>>
>> It's anything but the word of God, more the rant and ravings of a mad
>> man.
>>
>> Come on now, you really don't believe that the bible is the word of God,
> do
>> you?
>>
>> You know as well as I do that Jesus never fulfilled any OT prophecy,
>> don't
>> you?
>>
>> John
>

> Yes John, I serious believe the Bible is the Word of God. I'm betting my
> life on it.

No, no Paul, you are wasting your life on it, believed in nonsense when you
could be doing something productive, is wasting your life.

> You're betting your life it is not. Those are the stakes, and
> the stakes are not this life, but ETERNAL LIFE.

No such thing Paul, just a fairy tale of a cruel monster God that wants
adoration or else!

Just wouldn't want to be around something like that, even if it were true,
which of course we all know that it isn't.

> I know very well Jesus
> fulfilled EVERY OT prophecy.

He fulfilled NONE, ask any Jew.

> And I am completely honest and ethical about
> my use of the Word, unlike yourself.

You are completely self-deluded, unlike me.

The "Word" is nonsense, writen by ranting, raving lunatics.

The "book of Revelation" is a horror, no decent person would believe that
nonsense.

As far as literature goes, it falls far short of a Stephen King novel.

John

Paul Laird
2004-07-07 21:53:30 EST

> "Paul Laird" <smalltoe10@ywave.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "John Watson" <JW2@aol.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Paul Laird" <smalltoe10@ywave.com> wrote in message

> > God
> >>
> >> It's anything but the word of God, more the rant and ravings of a mad
> >> man.
> >>
> >> Come on now, you really don't believe that the bible is the word of
God,
> > do
> >> you?
> >>
> >> You know as well as I do that Jesus never fulfilled any OT prophecy,
> >> don't
> >> you?
> >>
> >> John
> >

> > Yes John, I serious believe the Bible is the Word of God. I'm betting
my
> > life on it.
>
> No, no Paul, you are wasting your life on it, believed in nonsense when
you
> could be doing something productive, is wasting your life.
>
> > You're betting your life it is not. Those are the stakes, and
> > the stakes are not this life, but ETERNAL LIFE.
>
> No such thing Paul, just a fairy tale of a cruel monster God that wants
> adoration or else!
>
> Just wouldn't want to be around something like that, even if it were true,
> which of course we all know that it isn't.
>

> > I know very well Jesus
> > fulfilled EVERY OT prophecy.
>
> He fulfilled NONE, ask any Jew.
>
> > And I am completely honest and ethical about
> > my use of the Word, unlike yourself.
>
> You are completely self-deluded, unlike me.
>
> The "Word" is nonsense, writen by ranting, raving lunatics.
>
> The "book of Revelation" is a horror, no decent person would believe that
> nonsense.
>
> As far as literature goes, it falls far short of a Stephen King novel.
>
> John

You're right. But then, the Bible is not literature, it is LIFE.

Libertarius
2004-07-08 01:19:44 EST

Paul Laird wrote:

> "John Watson" <JW2@aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Paul Laird" <smalltoe10@ywave.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "John Watson" <JW2@aol.com> wrote in message

> be?

> > > God

> God,
> > > do

> > > Yes John, I serious believe the Bible is the Word of God. I'm betting
> my
> > > life on it.
> >
> > No, no Paul, you are wasting your life on it, believed in nonsense when
> you
> > could be doing something productive, is wasting your life.
> >
> > > You're betting your life it is not. Those are the stakes, and
> > > the stakes are not this life, but ETERNAL LIFE.
> >
> > No such thing Paul, just a fairy tale of a cruel monster God that wants
> > adoration or else!
> >
> > Just wouldn't want to be around something like that, even if it were true,
> > which of course we all know that it isn't.
> >

> > > I know very well Jesus
> > > fulfilled EVERY OT prophecy.
> >
> > He fulfilled NONE, ask any Jew.
> >
> > > And I am completely honest and ethical about
> > > my use of the Word, unlike yourself.
> >
> > You are completely self-deluded, unlike me.
> >
> > The "Word" is nonsense, writen by ranting, raving lunatics.
> >
> > The "book of Revelation" is a horror, no decent person would believe that
> > nonsense.
> >
> > As far as literature goes, it falls far short of a Stephen King novel.
> >
> > John
> >

> You're right. But then, the Bible is not literature, it is LIFE.

===>You are so off the mark, it is a SIN what you are doing!
(HINT: Check out what "sin" is in Greek). -- L.