Bible Discussion: Take Up Your Cross And Follow Me

Take Up Your Cross And Follow Me

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)

Pastor Dave
2004-07-08 16:22:16 EST
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:04:02 GMT, Terrell D Lewis
<*M@sbcglobal.net> posted thusly:

>On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:11:12 -0400, Pastor Dave
><nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>>True, in both instances, "pick up your stauros and follow me," is a
>>>euphemism for walking the CHristian path ("This Way", as Paul called
>>>it, or "the narrow road," as Jesus called it) and everything
>>>associated with that "walk."
>>
>>And yet, Christ was crucified and there were Apostles
>>who were as well (at least as far as tradition has it).
>
>Re-read this part:
>
>>everything
>>associated with that "walk."
>
>That would include the good, the bad, the persecution and the joy.

Include, yes. That does not mean that it had nothing
to do with being physically crucified, as that is what
it meant for some. That was my only point.

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17

/
o{}xxxxx[]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\

Sleep peacefully, God is awake.

Terrell D Lewis
2004-07-08 18:35:55 EST
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:22:16 -0400, Pastor Dave
<nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Include, yes. That does not mean that it had nothing
>to do with being physically crucified, as that is what
>it meant for some. That was my only point.

Still does over much of the globe, to be a CHristian in any middle
eastern country but Israel, CHina, many of the former Soviet
Republics, VIetnam, Indonesia, Sudan, northern Africa, and so forth
can carry a death sentence.

And, in time, it will be that way here.

Terrell

Pastor Dave
2004-07-08 18:45:11 EST
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:35:55 GMT, Terrell D Lewis
<*M@sbcglobal.net> posted thusly:

>On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:22:16 -0400, Pastor Dave
><nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Include, yes. That does not mean that it had nothing
>>to do with being physically crucified, as that is what
>>it meant for some. That was my only point.
>
>Still does over much of the globe, to be a CHristian in any middle
>eastern country but Israel, CHina, many of the former Soviet
>Republics, VIetnam, Indonesia, Sudan, northern Africa, and so forth
>can carry a death sentence.
>
>And, in time, it will be that way here.

Could be. One never knows.

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17

/
o{}xxxxx[]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\

"Atheism is folly, and atheists are the
greatest fools in nature; for they see
there is a world that could not make
itself, and yet they will not own there
is a God that made it." - Matthew Henry

Dore
2004-07-10 12:37:03 EST
"Terrell D Lewis" <composer7NOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Ah, but it does...for "cross" and "walking stick" are the same word in
> the Greek. Since Jesus hadn't as yet revealed his death, the crowd
> would have assumed he meant a walking stick.

Those who believed and followed, they were given the Spirit of understanding
and thus knew the symbolic message and that is why He talked in parables and
they understood, but the unbelievers did not.

Matt 13:13-15

13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and
hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing
ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall
not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of
hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see
with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their
heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
KJV

--
Dore

www.dorewilliamson.com

"Terrell D Lewis" <composer7NOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 01:40:13 GMT, "Dore" <dorewilliamson@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
> >> "Take up your cross and follow me"
> >>
> >> The word, "cross" in the New Testament is translated from the Greek,
> >> "stauros." Or a stake, staff, a pole. The common symbol called a
> >> "cross" is actually pagan in origin and predates Christ's time on
> >> earth by thousands of years. Vine's Expository Dictionary of New
> >> Testament Words" will provide a brief explanation as to how a pagan
> >> symbol became a Christian symbol.
> >
> >> The people who heard Jesus say, "Take up your cross and follow me,"
> >> would have heard the words as "Pick up your walking stick and follow
> >> me." A walking stick fits very well with Jesus' description of a
> >> believer's life as a "narrow road" or a "strait gate," and Paul
> >> referred to the religion as "this way." The believer's life is a path
> >> wherein one follows Christ.
> >>

> >The word "cross" to be taken up, is translated by those with the Holy
Spirit
> >of truth, having the language of God, means symbolically to suffer,
endure
> >and cope with the burdens of being a true disciple of Christ, against the
> >evil, wicked and ungodly that oppresses, persecutes and abuses them and
has
> >NOTHING to do with a walking stick.
>
> Ah, but it does...for "cross" and "walking stick" are the same word in
> the Greek. Since Jesus hadn't as yet revealed his death, the crowd
> would have assumed he meant a walking stick.
>
> But, either is applicable and it serves as a double methaphor.
>

> Terrell D Lewis
> http://www.terrelldlewis.com
> Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise
unto him with psalms.
> Psalms 95:2 KJV

Dore
2004-07-10 12:38:56 EST

"Glenn (Christian Mystic)" <christianmystic@ev1.net> wrote in message

> A *burden* is also a *purpose* / *calling* given to you by the Holy
Spirit,
> which happens to include both suffering / endurance in dealing with the
> oppressions, persecutions, and abuses of they who work against the purpose
> given you,
> AND
> the joys / blessings which go with having served, and continuing to serve
> that / those cause(s) given you to handle

You are absolutely correct and I apologize for not mentioning the joys and
blessing that come with that calling.
--
Dore

www.dorewilliamson.com

"Glenn (Christian Mystic)" <christianmystic@ev1.net> wrote in message

> "Dore" <dorewilliamson@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > "Terrell D Lewis" <composer7NOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
> > > "Take up your cross and follow me"
> > > The word, "cross" in the New Testament is translated from the Greek,
> > > "stauros." Or a stake, staff, a pole. The common symbol called a
> > > "cross" is actually pagan in origin and predates Christ's time on
> > > earth by thousands of years. Vine's Expository Dictionary of New
> > > Testament Words" will provide a brief explanation as to how a pagan
> > > symbol became a Christian symbol.
> > > The people who heard Jesus say, "Take up your cross and follow me,"
> > > would have heard the words as "Pick up your walking stick and follow
> > > me." A walking stick fits very well with Jesus' description of a
> > > believer's life as a "narrow road" or a "strait gate," and Paul
> > > referred to the religion as "this way." The believer's life is a path
> > > wherein one follows Christ.
> > >
> > The word "cross" to be taken up, is translated by those with the Holy
> Spirit
> > of truth, having the language of God, means symbolically to suffer,
endure
> > and cope with the burdens of being a true disciple of Christ, against
the
> > evil, wicked and ungodly that oppresses, persecutes and abuses them and
> has
> > NOTHING to do with a walking stick.
>
> A *burden* is also a *purpose* / *calling* given to you by the Holy
Spirit,
> which happens to include both suffering / endurance in dealing with the
> oppressions, persecutions, and abuses of they who work against the purpose
> given you,
> AND
> the joys / blessings which go with having served, and continuing to serve
> that / those cause(s) given you to handle
>
> And, you are correct it has nothing to do with a literal walking stick, or
> EVEN the picking up and carrying a literal cross.
>
> > --
> > Dore
> > www.dorewilliamson.com
>
> <snipped good stuff>
>
> Glenn (Christian Mystic)

Glenn \Christian Mystic\
2004-07-12 16:28:25 EST

> "Glenn (Christian Mystic)" <christianmystic@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
> > A *burden* is also a *purpose* / *calling* given to you by the Holy
Spirit,
> > which happens to include both suffering / endurance in dealing with the
> > oppressions, persecutions, and abuses of they who work against the
purpose given you, AND
> > the joys / blessings which go with having served, and continuing to
serve
> > that / those cause(s) given you to handle
>
> You are absolutely correct and I apologize for not mentioning the joys and
> blessing that come with that calling.

Thanks sweetheart (meant in a friendly way), experience enlightens one to
these joys :-)

> --
> Dore
> www.dorewilliamson.com