Bible Discussion: LEGALISM Vs GRACE

LEGALISM Vs GRACE

El Dios Es Mi Juez
2004-06-26 07:31:25 EST
The danger with all religious rituals and institutions is that they often
acquire a life of their own. Whereas once they blessed people, later they
oppress people. What for one generation may be a test of truth and a means
of blessing may become an idol and a hindrance to another generation. For
example, in the OT God commanded Moses to make a bronze figure of a snake
and set it on a pole, so that anyone bitten by a snake need only look at the
bronze serpent and he would live (Numbers 21:4-9; 1 Corinthians 10:9, 11).
Centuries later King Hezekiah of Judah destroyed the bronze serpent because
the people had made it an idol and gave it superstitious respect (2 Kings
18:4).

The Pharisees of the New Testament were dedicated legalists and
traditionalists with a loveless, impersonal, and mechanical religion based
on man-made rules that Jesus emphatically rejected. In short, legalism is
substituting law for grace, achievement for faith. Yet many believers have
unthinkingly adopted a checklist of acceptable and unacceptable behaviour
that requires such things as church attendance, a particular style of
worship or ceremony, compulsory tithing, a dress code, or undue deference to
church leaders, or denominational traditions, to the neglect of "more
important matters - justice, mercy and faithfulness" (Matthew 23:23).

It is a characteristic of human nature that, in different ways, we try to
add to the "finished work" of the cross. Legalism is an inherent part of
our sinful human nature for we find salvation by faith in Christ alone,
hurtful to our spiritual pride. Church and individual have frequently
repeated the foolishness of the Galatians. In all our Christian activities,
it is easy for us to miss what matters most to God, love for God and love
for our neighbour (Matthew 22: 37-40).

http://www.cultwatch.com/legalism.html

Frank
2004-06-26 14:48:25 EST
Very well said!
Keep up the good work!

Frank

Www.dr4baxs.com
2004-06-26 16:13:05 EST
Great post! I think that it is important to remember that jesus only taught
love/forgiveness. he didn't say, "love that person only if they're a
"believer" ~ or love that person only if they have sex the way you do ~ or only
love that person if they go to your church, blah, blah,blah - And what I've
further noticed is that generally the people who are like that seem to be
miserable and unhappy. "By their fruits you will know them...." Sheryl

Pastor Dave
2004-06-27 09:46:27 EST
On 26 Jun 2004 20:13:05 GMT, sherylvalentine@aol.com (
www.dr4baxs.com) posted thusly:

>Great post! I think that it is important to remember that jesus only taught
>love/forgiveness. he didn't say, "love that person only if they're a
>"believer" ~ or love that person only if they have sex the way you do ~ or only
>love that person if they go to your church, blah, blah,blah - And what I've
>further noticed is that generally the people who are like that seem to be
>miserable and unhappy. "By their fruits you will know them...." Sheryl

You are taking the statement out of context.

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17

/
o{}xxxxx[]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\

Patience is a virtue which carries a lot of wait.

Pastor Dave
2004-06-28 11:41:53 EST
On 26 Jun 2004 20:13:05 GMT, sherylvalentine@aol.com (
www.dr4baxs.com) posted thusly:

>Great post! I think that it is important to remember that jesus only
>taught love/forgiveness. he didn't say, "love that person only if
>they're a "believer" ~ or love that person only if they have sex the
>way you do ~ or only love that person if they go to your church, blah,
>blah,blah - And what I've further noticed is that generally the people
>who are like that seem to be miserable and unhappy. "By their fruits
>you will know them...." Sheryl

You are taking the statement out of context like I often do. For
example:

"...we have a prior commitment, a commitment to
materialism. It is not that the methods and
institutions of science somehow compel us to accept
a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but,
on the contrary, that we are forced by our 'a priori'
adherence to material causes to create a set of
concepts that produce material explanations, no matter
how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the
uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an
absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the
door." - Richard Lewontin, "Billions and Billions
of Demons, The New York Review of Books,
January 9, 1997, p. 31

Lewotin's comments on misuseage of his statements:

It is time for students of the evolutionary process, especially those who
have been misquoted and used by the creationists, to state clearly that
evolution is a FACT, not theory, and that what is at issue within biology
are questions of details of the process and the relative importance of
different mechanisms of evolution. It is a FACT that the earth with
liquid water, is more than 3.6 billion years old. It is a FACT that
cellular life has been around for at least half of that period and that
organized multicellular life is at least 800 million years old. It is a
FACT that major life forms now on earth were not at all represented in
the past. There were no birds or mammals 250 million years ago. It is a
FACT that major life forms of the past are no longer living. There used
to be dinosaurs and Pithecanthropus, and there are none now. It is a FACT
that all living forms come from previous living forms. Therefore, all
present forms of life arose from ancestral forms that were different.
Birds arose from nonbirds and humans from nonhumans. No person who
pretends to any understanding of the natural world can deny these facts
any more than she or he can deny that the earth is round, rotates on its
axis, and revolves around the sun.
The controversies about evolution lie in the realm of the relative
importance of various forces in molding evolution.

R. C. Lewontin "Evolution/Creation Debate: A Time for Truth" Bioscience
31, 559 (1981)

--

� Pastor Dave �

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee:
neither have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out
of my lips was right before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is
the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17
/}
@#####{]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\}

Glenn \Christian Mystic\
2004-06-30 17:17:36 EST

"Frank" <roines@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Very well said!

Why thank you....er....what did I say ? Erm,,,, were you even talking to me
?

Without enough info left from the former post WHO CAN TELL ???

> Keep up the good work!

I will try

> Frank

Glenn (Christian Mystic)