Bible Discussion: The Great Lesson

The Great Lesson

Rhuff163
2004-06-18 00:05:49 EST
Devotional Guide
For the week of June 13, 2004

IS THE BIBLE TRUE?

The great lesson

To Read: 2 Samuel 19-21

To Know:

"The Lord has mingled within her a spirit of confusion; and they have made
Egypt stagger in all her doings as a drunken man staggers in his vomit. And
there will be nothing for Egypt which head or tail, palm branch or reed,
may do." (Is.19: 14,15)

Is all of God? Or is there an equal and opposite force in the universe
powerful enough to thwart the will of God? That was the question at the
heart of the book of Isaiah. Was God really God or did Israel need help
against their enemies from Egypt? In Isaiah 19 God tells his people what
he thinks of the strength of Egypt. Not much. Egypt will tremble at the
approach of the Lord. God, not Egypt, is what Israel needs. It is true for
us today. The Lord is sufficient. He is all we will ever need. That is the
great lesson that life is meant to teach us while it is still today. Let's
abandon all our Egypts and trust in the love of the Lord.

To Answer:

Is God my provider or am I among those who speak of faith in the Lord but
strive to provide for myself?

Do we fight to keep the faith in the face of our temptation to doubt?

Are we accepting of the fact that God moves us to fulfillment through
faithfulness in the little things?

Are we comforted to know that it is absolutely impossible for any finite
being to know that there is no God?

To Read:

Saturday: 2 Samuel 22-24

Sunday: 1 Kings 1-3

06184$-06184

RainLover
2004-06-18 10:19:24 EST
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:05:49 GMT, "rhuff163" <rhuff163@mchsi.com> wrote:

>Devotional Guide
>For the week of June 13, 2004
>

>IS THE BIBLE TRUE?

SNIP BIBLICAL "PROOF" OF ITS OWN TRUTH

So the bible says what the bible says is true? Imagine THAT!

james, Seattle

'enry VIII
2004-06-18 23:47:46 EST

"rhuff163" <rhuff163@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Devotional Guide
> For the week of June 13, 2004

> IS THE BIBLE TRUE?

No, it's just bullshit.

'enry VIII

John Ings
2004-06-19 08:50:02 EST
wrote:

>Is all of God?

Is any of God?

>Or is there an equal and opposite force in the universe
>powerful enough to thwart the will of God? That was the question at the
>heart of the book of Isaiah. Was God really God or did Israel need help
>against their enemies from Egypt?

Enemies from Egypt? Israel had no enemies, only neighboring empires at
war with each other. Israel was only a little piss-ant nation that
happened to be in between. Enemies? They hardly noticed Israel as they
strode through like a farmer through a chicken coop.

> In Isaiah 19 God tells his people what
>he thinks of the strength of Egypt. Not much.

But in fact when Egypt and Babylon went at each other, it was Israel
that was of no account.

>Egypt will tremble at the approach of the Lord.

But Egypt didn't.

>God, not Egypt, is what Israel needs.

Well that's what Israel's phrophets and priests said. But when
Babylonian armies marched, God was nowhere in evidence, and when
Alexander's hoplites showed up God wasn't helping either. Nor was he
of the slightest assistance when Rome's legions appeared.

Know what? I think Isaiah is full of shit!

>It is true for us today. The Lord is sufficient. He is all we will ever need.

He wasn't then. Why should we believe he will be now?

> That is the
>great lesson that life is meant to teach us while it is still today. Let's
>abandon all our Egypts and trust in the love of the Lord.

And get stomped on the way Israel was?

>Do we fight to keep the faith in the face of our temptation to doubt?

In other words do you stubbornly believe in the face of contrary
evidence, as the Hebrews did for milennia?

>Are we comforted to know that it is absolutely impossible for any finite
>being to know that there is no God?

Or that there is?

## The charlatan deceives only others,
## the prophet often deceives himself.

Your Name Here=Harvey
2004-06-19 22:33:14 EST
In article <npc8d053qe8r1gbs5sb02scffrpg2nv3n2@4ax.com>, nodamned@spam.org
says...

>On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:05:49 GMT, "rhuff163" <rhuff163@mchsi.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Is all of God?
>
>Is any of God?
>
>>Or is there an equal and opposite force in the universe
>>powerful enough to thwart the will of God? That was the question at the
>>heart of the book of Isaiah. Was God really God or did Israel need help
>>against their enemies from Egypt?
>
>Enemies from Egypt? Israel had no enemies, only neighboring empires at
>war with each other. Israel was only a little piss-ant nation that
>happened to be in between. Enemies? They hardly noticed Israel as they
>strode through like a farmer through a chicken coop.
>
>> In Isaiah 19 God tells his people what
>>he thinks of the strength of Egypt. Not much.
>
>But in fact when Egypt and Babylon went at each other, it was Israel
>that was of no account.
>
>>Egypt will tremble at the approach of the Lord.
>
>But Egypt didn't.
>
>>God, not Egypt, is what Israel needs.
>
>Well that's what Israel's phrophets and priests said. But when
>Babylonian armies marched, God was nowhere in evidence, and when
>Alexander's hoplites showed up God wasn't helping either. Nor was he
>of the slightest assistance when Rome's legions appeared.
>
>Know what? I think Isaiah is full of shit!
>
>>It is true for us today. The Lord is sufficient. He is all we will ever
need.

>He wasn't then. Why should we believe he will be now?
>
>> That is the
>>great lesson that life is meant to teach us while it is still today. Let's
>>abandon all our Egypts and trust in the love of the Lord.
>
>And get stomped on the way Israel was?
>
>>Do we fight to keep the faith in the face of our temptation to doubt?
>
>In other words do you stubbornly believe in the face of contrary
>evidence, as the Hebrews did for milennia?
>
>>Are we comforted to know that it is absolutely impossible for any finite
>>being to know that there is no God?
>
>Or that there is?
>
>## The charlatan deceives only others,
>## the prophet often deceives himself.

What is the point of such debates?

Is god even interested in what happens to Israel and it's citizens?

And look at what's happening today in that region.

There is no connection between the real world, and the bible and
interpretations of it. People only see a connection, only if they wish to,
or not.

And look at what is happening in Iraq - people dying for their cause, and god,
even if it means slaughtering innocent people.
Hasn't this been happening throughout history and mankind.

Murder is murder, and god isn't involved.

People are responsible for their own actions, and cannot lay the blame
at god or on god, when it's their own hands that do the murdering.

This reality is not where god does his marvellous works seen.
This is a physical universe subject to physical laws - which happen every day.
[God may be behind every day actions, but is largely unseen and unnoticed].

Harvey

John Ings
2004-06-19 23:29:43 EST
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:33:14 +1200, Your Name Here=Harvey
<*u@somewhere.not.aus> wrote:

>What is the point of such debates?

A search for truth.

>Is god even interested in what happens to Israel and it's citizens?

That's one of the truths in question.

>And look at what's happening today in that region.
>
>There is no connection between the real world, and the bible and
>interpretations of it. People only see a connection, only if they wish to,
>or not.

I'm inclined to agree with that.

>And look at what is happening in Iraq - people dying for their cause, and god,
>even if it means slaughtering innocent people.
>Hasn't this been happening throughout history and mankind.

That's one of the results of religion.

>Murder is murder, and god isn't involved.

>People are responsible for their own actions, and cannot lay the blame
>at god or on god, when it's their own hands that do the murdering.

But they invent deities to rationalize their own iniquities.

>This reality is not where god does his marvellous works seen.
>This is a physical universe subject to physical laws - which happen every day.
>[God may be behind every day actions, but is largely unseen and unnoticed].

Or not.

## Man cannot make even a microbe, but invents gods by the dozen

Misty
2004-06-21 01:36:26 EST

ONe comment to you all;

God is the "CREATOR GOD"!

Gods that man makes up are CREATED gods.

Misty,

John Ings wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:33:14 +1200, Your Name Here=Harvey
> <you@somewhere.not.aus> wrote:
>

>>What is the point of such debates?
>

> A search for truth.
>

>>Is god even interested in what happens to Israel and it's citizens?
>

> That's one of the truths in question.
>

>>And look at what's happening today in that region.
>>
>>There is no connection between the real world, and the bible and
>>interpretations of it. People only see a connection, only if they wish to,
>>or not.
>

> I'm inclined to agree with that.
>

>>And look at what is happening in Iraq - people dying for their cause, and god,
>>even if it means slaughtering innocent people.
>>Hasn't this been happening throughout history and mankind.
>

> That's one of the results of religion.
>

>>Murder is murder, and god isn't involved.
>

>>People are responsible for their own actions, and cannot lay the blame
>>at god or on god, when it's their own hands that do the murdering.
>

> But they invent deities to rationalize their own iniquities.
>

>>This reality is not where god does his marvellous works seen.
>>This is a physical universe subject to physical laws - which happen every day.
>>[God may be behind every day actions, but is largely unseen and unnoticed].
>

> Or not.
>
> ## Man cannot make even a microbe, but invents gods by the dozen

John Ings
2004-06-21 08:20:19 EST
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:36:26 -0500, Misty
<""yardholler\"@Nospam,charter.net> wrote:

>God is the "CREATOR GOD"!
>

>Gods that man makes up are CREATED gods.

That created-god category would include the "CREATOR GOD"
you made up would it not?

## If God has spoken, why is not the universe convinced?

Misty
2004-06-22 04:47:21 EST

John Ings wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:36:26 -0500, Misty
> <""yardholler\"@Nospam,charter.net> wrote:
>

>>God is the "CREATOR GOD"!
>>

>>Gods that man makes up are CREATED gods.
>

> That created-god category would include the "CREATOR GOD"
> you made up would it not?

No! Genesis 1:
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

That was written long before I was to come onto or into the Scene.

And Romans 1:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not
as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their
imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an
image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted
beasts, and creeping things.
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the
lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between
themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and
served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for
ever. Amen.

> ## If God has spoken, why is not the universe convinced?

John 1:
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and
the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing
made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended
it not.

In His Word,

Misty,

John Ings
2004-06-22 08:46:24 EST
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:47:21 -0500, Misty
<""yardholler\"@Nospam,charter.net> wrote:

>>>God is the "CREATOR GOD"!
>>>
>>>Gods that man makes up are CREATED gods.
>>
>> That created-god category would include the "CREATOR GOD"
>> you made up would it not?
>
>No! Genesis 1:
> 1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

But that's not what was written.

>That was written long before I was to come onto or into the Scene.

Yes, but what was written was written by men, and it actually says:
"Bereshith bara Elohiym..."

Elohiym does not translate as "God". "El" is the generic term for
deity in the region, and elohiym is the plural form. A more accurate
translation would be "In the beginning the Almighty Beings created the
heavens and the earth."

>And Romans 1:

Paul is a man also, not a god.
Got anything written by your "CREATOR GOD"?

>> ## If God has spoken, why is not the universe convinced?
>
>John 1:
> 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and
>the Word was God.

"John" was a man too, though we don't know his real name.
As for the Word, what's that?

>In His Word,

His word according to who?

Men, that's who. Men aren't convinced because only some of them think
they've heard God, and of those who do, few agree on what he said.
I think if the real Creator spoke, we would all hear and there would
be no doubt on anybody's part.

## The Bible has suffered more at the hands
## of its friends than its enemies.