Bible Discussion: Bible Says Eucharist Not Symbolic, Ps 27:1-2, Acts 2:42, Gen 14:18, Ps 110:4, Heb 7:1-17, Jn 6:32:58, 1 Cor 11:26-30, Mt 26:26-27, Mk 14:22-24, Lk 22:19-20, 1 Cor 10:24-25

Bible Says Eucharist Not Symbolic, Ps 27:1-2, Acts 2:42, Gen 14:18, Ps 110:4, Heb 7:1-17, Jn 6:32:58, 1 Cor 11:26-30, Mt 26:26-27, Mk 14:22-24, Lk 22:19-20, 1 Cor 10:24-25

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

Jsm
2003-07-31 23:20:51 EST
The Bible is clear that the Eucharist is Not symbolic, i.e.:

Mt 26:26-27; Mk 14:22,24; Lk 22:19-20; 1 Cor 10:24-25 ... this is my
body ... this is my blood.
1 Cor 11:26-30 ... sinning against the body and blood.
Jn 6:32-58 ... long discourse on Eucharist.
Gen 14:18; Ps 110:4; Heb 7:1-17 ... Melchizedek.
Acts 2:42 ... breaking of bread.
Ps 27:1-2; Is 9:18-20; Is 49:26; Micah 3:3; Rev 17:6,16 ... symbolic
interpretation of Jn 6 inappropriate.

Adam Marczyk
2003-07-31 23:37:53 EST
Chris Devol <xyz@defghijk.lmn> wrote in message
> "jsm" <jsm542@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> The Bible is clear that the Eucharist is Not symbolic, i.e.:
>>
>> Mt 26:26-27; Mk 14:22,24; Lk 22:19-20; 1 Cor 10:24-25 ... this is my
>> body ... this is my blood.
>
> Please describe how the disciples ran up to the cross and literally
> drank the blood that poured out of Christ's wounds, and literally ate
> gobbets of his flesh before they buried the remains. After all, if
> eating his flesh and drinking his blood are not "symbolic", that is
> exactly what the disciples should have done.
>
> Or else explain how, although Christ was sitting in front of them,
> visibly intact, not bleeding, not missing any parts, at the last supper,
> nevertheless his actual, literal body and blood were in a cup and on a
> plate, which his intact hand was holding out to them.
>
> "Not symbolic", my ass!

Isn't it remarkable how the fundamentalists who believe in an omnipotent
God suddenly lose all their imagination when decrying a doctrine they
disagree with and insist that he literally *couldn't* have done it that
way?

--
"We have loved the stars too fondly | a.a. #2001
to be fearful of the night." | http://www.ebonmusings.org

Galia
2003-07-31 23:46:31 EST

"Adam Marczyk" <see@sig.com> wrote in message
> Chris Devol <xyz@defghijk.lmn> wrote in message
> > "jsm" <jsm542@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> The Bible is clear that the Eucharist is Not symbolic, i.e.:
> >>
> >> Mt 26:26-27; Mk 14:22,24; Lk 22:19-20; 1 Cor 10:24-25 ... this is my
> >> body ... this is my blood.
> >
> > Please describe how the disciples ran up to the cross and literally
> > drank the blood that poured out of Christ's wounds, and literally ate
> > gobbets of his flesh before they buried the remains. After all, if
> > eating his flesh and drinking his blood are not "symbolic", that is
> > exactly what the disciples should have done.
> >
> > Or else explain how, although Christ was sitting in front of them,
> > visibly intact, not bleeding, not missing any parts, at the last supper,
> > nevertheless his actual, literal body and blood were in a cup and on a
> > plate, which his intact hand was holding out to them.
> >
> > "Not symbolic", my ass!
>
> Isn't it remarkable how the fundamentalists who believe in an omnipotent
> God suddenly lose all their imagination when decrying a doctrine they
> disagree with and insist that he literally *couldn't* have done it that
> way?
>
> --
> "We have loved the stars too fondly | a.a. #2001
> to be fearful of the night." | http://www.ebonmusings.org
> --Tombstone epitaph of | e-mail: ebonmuse!hotmail.com
> two amateur astronomers, | ICQ: 8777843
> quoted in Carl Sagan's _Cosmos_ | PGP Key ID: 0x5C66F737

You are obviously missing the point...
galia

Iconoclasta
2003-08-01 00:21:58 EST

"jsm" <jsm542@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The Bible is clear that the Eucharist is Not symbolic, i.e.:
>
> Mt 26:26-27; Mk 14:22,24; Lk 22:19-20; 1 Cor 10:24-25 ... this is my
> body ... this is my blood.
> 1 Cor 11:26-30 ... sinning against the body and blood.
> Jn 6:32-58 ... long discourse on Eucharist.
> Gen 14:18; Ps 110:4; Heb 7:1-17 ... Melchizedek.
> Acts 2:42 ... breaking of bread.
> Ps 27:1-2; Is 9:18-20; Is 49:26; Micah 3:3; Rev 17:6,16 ... symbolic
> interpretation of Jn 6 inappropriate.

There is no Eucharist and you do not practice the last supper (Seder) as
Jesus commanded, so what is your point?

Dave Oldridge
2003-08-01 05:47:21 EST
John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:26:59 -0700, Falcon <falcon23587@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On 31 Jul 2003 20:20:51 -0700, jsm542@yahoo.com (jsm) wrote:
>>
>>>The Bible is clear that the Eucharist is Not symbolic, i.e.:
>>
>>So explain to me how Yeshua, who was sinless, did not violate the law
>>about eating/drinking blood?
>
> I've been asking that very question for years. I haven't yet got an
> answer. And to be sure we didn't miss it, the same commandment in the
> OT is repeated in the epistles.

Have you stopped beating your wife?

--
Dave Oldridge
ICQ 1800667

Paradoxically, most real events are highly improbable.

Christopher Robin
2003-08-01 05:55:43 EST

"Falcon" <falcon23587@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On 31 Jul 2003 20:20:51 -0700, jsm542@yahoo.com (jsm) wrote:
>
> >The Bible is clear that the Eucharist is Not symbolic, i.e.:
>
> So explain to me how Yeshua, who was sinless, did not violate the law
> about eating/drinking blood?

Explain why God then revealed to Peter that there are no unclean animals.

Jesus came and fulfilled the Law...

John W
2003-08-01 07:30:33 EST
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:51:00 GMT, Dave Oldridge
<*T@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:

>"Chris Devol" <xyz@defghijk.lmn> wrote in
>
>> "jsm" <jsm542@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> The Bible is clear that the Eucharist is Not symbolic, i.e.:
>>>
>>> Mt 26:26-27; Mk 14:22,24; Lk 22:19-20; 1 Cor 10:24-25 ... this is my
>>> body ... this is my blood.
>>
>> Please describe how the disciples ran up to the cross and literally
>> drank the blood that poured out of Christ's wounds, and literally ate
>> gobbets of his flesh before they buried the remains. After all, if
>> eating his flesh and drinking his blood are not "symbolic", that is
>> exactly what the disciples should have done.
>>
>> Or else explain how, although Christ was sitting in front of them,
>> visibly intact, not bleeding, not missing any parts, at the last
>> supper, nevertheless his actual, literal body and blood were in a cup
>> and on a plate, which his intact hand was holding out to them.
>>
>> "Not symbolic", my ass!
>
>You know when antichrists make this kind of attack on the Eucharist, it
>becomes obvious to any catholic Christian who has actually studied the
>teachings of the Church that their claims to have been members of the RCC
>are generally lies. Moreover, so are their claims to have any
>understanding of catholic Christian teaching. Making them TOTALLY
>incompetent to render any opinion whatsoever on these matters.

You do not know what you believe, as it changes from year to year. And
how can you POSSIBLY with a straight face worship a "church" whose
leadership rapes little boys?

Get serious. You aren't a Christian. Jesus said those who hurt
children would dearly! You're about to. (You defend the pedophile
cult)

John W

>You should take your ignorance and either enlighten it or put it back in
>your box of tricks and give it back to the devil who gave it to you.
>
>You CANNOT serve God by lying about other people, son. The only master
>you serve with that behavior is the father of lies. I'm sure he's
>delighted with your actions!

Dave Oldridge
2003-08-01 07:57:21 EST

> On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:47:21 GMT, Dave Oldridge
> <doldridgLEAVETHISOUT@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
>>John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com> wrote in

>>> I've been asking that very question for years. I haven't yet got an
>>> answer. And to be sure we didn't miss it, the same commandment in
>>> the OT is repeated in the epistles.
>>
>>Have you stopped beating your wife?
>
> Note all t hat Dave O is quite capable of "quips" that amuse him and
> no one else, but nothing of substance to say, as usual.

You asked a silly question. What did you expect, a Brittanica article?

--
Dave Oldridge
ICQ 1800667

Paradoxically, most real events are highly improbable.

Dave Oldridge
2003-08-01 08:02:59 EST

> On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:51:00 GMT, Dave Oldridge
> <doldridgLEAVETHISOUT@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
>>"Chris Devol" <xyz@defghijk.lmn> wrote in
>>
>>> "jsm" <jsm542@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Please describe how the disciples ran up to the cross and literally
>>> drank the blood that poured out of Christ's wounds, and literally
>>> ate gobbets of his flesh before they buried the remains. After all,
>>> if eating his flesh and drinking his blood are not "symbolic", that
>>> is exactly what the disciples should have done.
>>>
>>> Or else explain how, although Christ was sitting in front of them,
>>> visibly intact, not bleeding, not missing any parts, at the last
>>> supper, nevertheless his actual, literal body and blood were in a
>>> cup and on a plate, which his intact hand was holding out to them.
>>>
>>> "Not symbolic", my ass!
>>
>>You know when antichrists make this kind of attack on the Eucharist,
>>it becomes obvious to any catholic Christian who has actually studied
>>the teachings of the Church that their claims to have been members of
>>the RCC are generally lies. Moreover, so are their claims to have any
>>understanding of catholic Christian teaching. Making them TOTALLY
>>incompetent to render any opinion whatsoever on these matters.
>
> You do not know what you believe, as it changes from year to year. And
> how can you POSSIBLY with a straight face worship a "church" whose
> leadership rapes little boys?

I do not worship a church. And the RCC is not the Church, merely one of
a number of catholic rites and one which is in some need of guidance and
correction. But you stand outside the Church altogether, slamming all of
it by taking issue, not only with the immorality of the Roman clergy but
with the actual deposit of faith.

> Get serious. You aren't a Christian. Jesus said those who hurt

Look at what is talking, antichrist!

> children would dearly! You're about to. (You defend the pedophile
> cult)

First of all, the RCC is not a pedophile cult. It is a branch of God's
Church which has happened to fall prey to some rather nasty people due to
administrative errors on the part of its leaders. But that does not give
YOU the excuse to trash the traditional doctrines of the Christian faith
and then call that parody of holiness you espouse, the only real thing.

When you learn to distinguish truth from propaganda and to deal in reason
instead of childish appeals to emotions, you may actually be ready to
repent your sins against God and against man and come to the cross. But
in the meantime, the only person you are deceiving is yourself.

So every time someone believes one of your lies, that's one more hot coal
in your part of the lake of fire!

--
Dave Oldridge
ICQ 1800667

Paradoxically, most real events are highly improbable.

Bam
2003-08-01 09:56:32 EST

"Falcon" <falcon23587@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On 31 Jul 2003 20:20:51 -0700, jsm542@yahoo.com (jsm) wrote:
>
> >The Bible is clear that the Eucharist is Not symbolic, i.e.:
>
> So explain to me how Yeshua, who was sinless, did not violate the law
> about eating/drinking blood?

That's something *you* have to resolve. We don't care. Jesus is God. Jesus
told us to do it, so we do. This practice has been confirmed from the
earliest days of Christendom by men much closer to the Old Law and Jesus,
and the Jewish culture than we:

1 Cor 11:23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you,
that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and
when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which
is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 25 In the same way also the
cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do
this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26 For as often
as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death
until he comes. 27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup
of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body
and blood of the Lord.

St. Ignatius of Antioch - who was a disciple of St.
John the Apostle, A.D. 110:
"those who hold heterodox opinions ... abstain from the Eucharist and
from prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh
of our Savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which
the Father, in his goodness, raised up again" (Letter to the Romans 6:2;
7:1).

St. Justin Martyr, A.D. 150:
"Not as common bread or common drink do we receive these; but since
Jesus Christ our Savior was made incarnate by the word of God and had
both flesh and blood for our salvation, so too, as we have been taught,
the food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic
prayer set down by him, and by the change of which our blood and flesh
is nourished, is both the flesh and the blood of that incarnated Jesus"
(First Apology 66:1-20).

Origen: A.D. 244
"I wish to admonish you with examples from your religion. You are
accustomed to take part in the divine mysteries, so you know how, when
you have received the body of the Lord, you reverently exercise every
care lest a particle of it fall and lest anything of the consecrated
gift perish. You account yourselves guilty, and rightly do you so
believe, if any of it be lost through negligence" (Homilies on Exodus
13:3).

St. Cyril of Jerusalem: 4th century:
"Do not, therefore, regard the bread and wine as simply that, for they
are, according to the Master's declaration, the body and blood of
Christ. Even though the senses suggest to you the other, let faith make
you firm. Do not judge in this matter by taste, but be fully assured by
faith, not doubting that you have been deemed worthy of the body and
blood of Christ" (Catechetical Discourses: Mystagogic 4, 22:9).

Theodore of Mopsuestia, 5th Century:
"When [Christ] gave the bread he did not say, 'This is the symbol of my
body,' but, 'This is my body.' In the same way, when he gave the cup of
his blood he did not say, 'This is the symbol of my blood', but, 'This
is my blood,' for he wanted us to look upon the [Eucharistic elements] after
their reception of grace and the coming of the Holy Spirit not according
to their nature, but to receive them as they are, the body and blood of
our Lord" (Catechetical Homilies 5:1).

BAM

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)